2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

It sucks to see the rich get richer, but Gasso's built that thing into a monster - OU's bearing the fruits of her work over the past 20+ years.  Hats off to her.  

Mike just needs to keep plugging away, filling holes in the portal, and try to make inroads with the young kids. The kids who are coming in now spent their years playing select ball when we were Connie's underachieving horns.  It will take some time to undo that damage.  

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It sucks to see the rich get richer, but Gasso's built that thing into a monster - OU's bearing the fruits of her work over the past 20+ years.  Hats off to her.  

Mike just needs to keep plugging away, filling holes in the portal, and try to make inroads with the young kids. The kids who are coming in now spent their years playing select ball when we were Connie's underachieving horns.  It will take some time to undo that damage.  

The good news is that the new NCAA rules mean you can't get these kids on campus until their junior year, I believe.  Plus the portal.  Mike's reputation at Oregon and now Texas are out there for HS kids.  

2022 - #12 class, featuring #3, #,5, #7, #36, #75
2023 class - one of the top pitchers is committed (Teagan Kavan) and the #3 overall play (Kayden Henry)

I mean, we already picked up solid transfers under Mike like Dolcini and Bella. Texas will also look very attractive for Texas kids who want to play in the SEC soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

16 hours ago, Js1 said:

The good news is that the new NCAA rules mean you can't get these kids on campus until their junior year, I believe.  Plus the portal.  Mike's reputation at Oregon and now Texas are out there for HS kids.  

2022 - #12 class, featuring #3, #,5, #7, #36, #75
2023 class - one of the top pitchers is committed (Teagan Kavan) and the #3 overall play (Kayden Henry)

I mean, we already picked up solid transfers under Mike like Dolcini and Bella. Texas will also look very attractive for Texas kids who want to play in the SEC soon. 

The bad news is, there are rumblings on another board that OU has announced a NIL partnership for their softball team that will pay girls up to 100K per season, with most making around 50-60K. This is huge for them if true, and will be yet another reason for the best of the best to want to play there. Patty is taking no prisoners, and OU may be about to go on a run of domination like this sport has never seen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

The bad news is, there are rumblings on another board that OU has announced a NIL partnership for their softball team that will pay girls up to 100K per season, with most making around 50-60K. This is huge for them if true, and will be yet another reason for the best of the best to want to play there. Patty is taking no prisoners, and OU may be about to go on a run of domination like this sport has never seen. 

They already want to play there, for Patty.  The money is probably secondary, but there's only so many spots to go around.  You can still only field 9 players in the lineup. 

It's on us, and other schools, to match that.  Time for someone to get the NIL started for softball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Speaking of the transfer portal, Brooke Yanez (senior, LHP) has entered the portal.  Has a redshirt season from this past year

2018 - 1.75 ERA
2019 - 1.03 ERA
2020 - 1.56 ERA
2021 - 2.11 ERA
2022 - missed season with injury

Not a Mike recruit, but transferred from UC Davis to Oregon.

Hey, she can't go to OU, I guess. 

19 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

LHP Brooke Yanez from Oregon is in the portal. She would have 1 year of eligibility left and is a good player. Not sure if White wants two lefties, but she is worth a look.

She wants to come, you take her. She’s too good. 

Social media looks like Bama may be the front runner 

8 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I heard someone several months ago talking about OU wanting to focus NIL resources on 3 sports: football, basketball (men's only), and softball. The Switzer-led initiative had 50k as the baseline for football plays. This seems plausible.

28 minutes ago, quigley said:

I heard someone several months ago talking about OU wanting to focus NIL resources on 3 sports: football, basketball (men's only), and softball. The Switzer-led initiative had 50k as the baseline for football plays. This seems plausible.

Are you sure that won't interfere with trailer home payments?

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Carlee Ratcliff and Brianna Cantu (under Brianna Aranzeta) are in the portal.  Both were pretty much expected.  Cantu is a grad transfer, best of luck to her at school #3 

I still expect a couple of more to follow suit. Both girls need to move to a mid major program and enjoy the rest of their careers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I still expect a couple of more to follow suit. Both girls need to move to a mid major program and enjoy the rest of their careers. 

Same, I still keep an eye out for the next 2 weeks on: Holmes, Quiroga and Whitaker.  Other possible: Corona, Cimusz (her body language wasn't great by season's end), Ashton Maloney (likely will take a RS for this year based on an injury, she was still in a full on leg brace in OKC) 

We think Mike is seriously pursuing both Yanez and Kilfoyl?  With Storako out, there's no other huge pitching names in the portal right now (other than the ASU kids, who are all probably following Ford to aggy). 

Also doesn't look like Shaylon Govan from SFA has picked a new destination yet.  Her Twitter likes are all over the place (OU, Texas, aggy, Mizzou, LSU), and her last real tweet was about the journey starting and tagged IAH airport.  So possibly starting her visits as of last week. 

Would still like:

Ace/co-ace type pitcher (Czech, Simpson, transfer, Gutierrez)
INF with potential to play SS or 2B (Washington slides to 2B or someone else plugs into 2B) 
Power hitting DP/1B (Smith goes into the DP/C rotation if we get an actual 1B) 
Corner OF (could fill this gap with Holmes, Maloney or Maddie P)

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Same, I still keep an eye out for the next 2 weeks on: Holmes, Quiroga and Whitaker.  Other possible: Corona, Cimusz (her body language wasn't great by season's end), Ashton Maloney (likely will take a RS for this year based on an injury, she was still in a full on leg brace in OKC) 

We think Mike is seriously pursuing both Yanez and Kilfoyl?  With Storako out, there's no other huge pitching names in the portal right now (other than the ASU kids, who are all probably following Ford to aggy). 

Also doesn't look like Shaylon Govan from SFA has picked a new destination yet.  Her Twitter likes are all over the place (OU, Texas, aggy, Mizzou, LSU), and her last real tweet was about the journey starting and tagged IAH airport.  So possibly starting her visits as of last week. 

Would still like:

Ace/co-ace type pitcher (Czech, Simpson, transfer, Gutierrez)
INF with potential to play SS or 2B (Washington slides to 2B or someone else plugs into 2B) 
Power hitting DP/1B (Smith goes into the DP/C rotation if we get an actual 1B) 
Corner OF (could fill this gap with Holmes, Maloney or Maddie P)

Kilfoyl is an interesting one. I saw that kid as a 12u player and thought she would be the next Jackie Trayna. She is a drop ball pitcher which plays well against the OU’s of the world. I had heard she was looking closer to home, but we shall see.

15 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Kilfoyl is an interesting one. I saw that kid as a 12u player and thought she would be the next Jackie Trayna. She is a drop ball pitcher which plays well against the OU’s of the world. I had heard she was looking closer to home, but we shall see.

Mike gotta kick the tires regardless.

Also really hoping Shea gets back to form, regardless of what we do in the portal pitching-wise, because whatever injury she suffered in December really affected her. 

You don't go from 0.65 in 97.2 IP -> 1.97 ERA in 49.2 IP (shortened season) -> 1.82 ERA in 161.2 IP -> 6.04 ERA in 26.2 IP without there being a serious injury concern.  Whatever it was, she didn't have enough time to rehab from it between December and February.

Czech, Simpson, O'Leary, Gutierrez + transfer is a salty rotation. 

There seems to be more to the story. Her parents didn’t travel to OKC for the CWS, as I remember Cat had to give her the HR ball. My guess is she wants to catch full time and will go somewhere that offers her that opportunity 

Sounds like a similar story to Ellsworth, although Taylor was a more reliable hitter IMO. I guess Cimusz is the new catcher then?

17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Sounds like a similar story to Ellsworth, although Taylor was a more reliable hitter IMO. I guess Cimusz is the new catcher then?

Or the incoming frosh or maybe portal? 

3 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

There seems to be more to the story. Her parents didn’t travel to OKC for the CWS, as I remember Cat had to give her the HR ball. My guess is she wants to catch full time and will go somewhere that offers her that opportunity 

Regardless, if your kid is playing in the WCWS, unless you can't go because of work or whatever, you should be there. Not because you're upset with the program somehow. Pretty sure she played every game and as mentioned, hit a home run and did pretty darn well. Seems like a weird situation 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/7/2022 at 3:04 PM, FloridaHorn said:

IDK....he is a really good hitting coach, but I have been hearing first hand from a couple of male coaching candidates that these schools are mainly interested in hiring women. 

Texas Tech has hired Craig Snider as their HC. 

Edited by Js1

Another intriguing name in the portal - UNCG's Morgan Scott (SOCON Pitcher of the Year).  2 years left.

2022 - 1.29 ERA, .94 WHIP, 86.2 IP, 107 K to 21 BB, .189 BAA
2021 - 2.18 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 192.1 IP, 210 K to 68 BB, .207 BAA

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Just heard a rumor that Megan Bartlett is in the running for the ASU job. Wonder who Mike would bring in to replace her? Hopefully someone with a strong background in coaching defense.

I would like it to be someone who handles the whole defense.  Bc she only does OF defense and SS does infield defense and hitting

13 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Cydney Sanders of ASU in the portal.....Yes Please!!!

PAC12 freshman of the year hit over .400 with 20 bombs. I would guess she is following Ford to the ags, but a man can dream.

Ford must be expecting a lot of attrition or plans to kick a bunch of players into the portal.  Also, I'm sure Gasso has already reached out.  About to Boomered in the ass, again, if she doesn't just follow Trisha. 

People thought it was ridiculous Mike brought 4 players over - that was nothing.  ASU has 7 or 8 in the portal now who could follow Ford.

A&M's 2023 roster is completely empty at the moment on their website ("not available yet").  A lot of aggys may be looking for homes soon.  I hope we are meddling a bit.

I'd see if Lee, Herzog or Smith wants to take a COVID year at Texas.  C Haley Lee (.405, 15 HR), P Herzog (2.66 ERA, 122 K to 64 walks; career 2.38 ERA; .248, 5 HR this year; career .323 career hitter with 27 HR) or OF Morgan Smith (.320, 5 HR).  Texas could really use a catcher with power, a pitcher and a corner OF or two. 

Maybe SO C/3B Katie Dack (.303, 13 HR) or JR OF Rylen Wiggins (.224, 11 HR). 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Shea needed a fresh start somewhere else more than anyone else on the team. Good luck to her, sincerely 

Agreed, but this is not the position we needed to lose depth at. White must have his hooks into several portal kids, because we have lost a couple of girls who would’ve been big contributors to next years squad.

38 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Agreed, but this is not the position we needed to lose depth at. White must have his hooks into several portal kids, because we have lost a couple of girls who would’ve been big contributors to next years squad.

Well Yanez is not one - UCLA 

OU grabs Torres from the portal.  JR INF from ASU.  Did not follow Ford. 

These HS kids who commit to OU really must want to sit on the bench and get a ring when they get to play in 2 innings every few games up 15-0 while Gasso finds someone from the portal to play in front of them when it looks like their turn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

OU grabs Torres from the portal.  JR INF from ASU.  Did not follow Ford. 

These HS kids who commit to OU really must want to sit on the bench and get a ring when they get to play in 2 innings every few games up 15-0 while Gasso finds someone from the portal to play in front of them when it looks like their turn. 

OU needs someone for 1st and 3rd. I was assuming Jennings would slide to 3rd, but if Torres comes, they may move her there? Having Torres probably can't hurt OU's changes for Sanders.