2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

bottom line is Mike White doesn't have the pitching to get to CWS and be a consistent top 5 type team.  you have to be able to win 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 games against the best teams. We hardly ever seem to do that.

I'm certainly don't know anything about softball recruiting. does he even have a chance competing against the best programs?

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

This is Mike White's final season with the Oregon transfers, and those Oregon transfers were arguably his best recruits since arriving at Texas.

This is true. Two are gone and 1 barely plays 

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This is Mike White's final season with the Oregon transfers, and those Oregon transfers were arguably his best recruits since arriving at Texas.

Well Cimusz, Simpson and Scott were very highly ranked. As are some of the 2023ers. He’s still catching up bc softball kids were committing in 8th grade when he got to campus and OU and Bama were having their run of top Texas talent. Mike has slowly pulled them back to stay at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Burke and Iakopo are the last remaining Oregon transfers.

Burke was once a solid player, but is now more focused on growing her NIL brand than softball and it shows

Iakopo has been one of our best hitters this season, but it has been rumored she has been a team chemistry liability. She was suspended from the team for a while shortly after the Florida trip.

Those two Oregon transfers graduate this year

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

bottom line is Mike White doesn't have the pitching to get to CWS and be a consistent top 5 type team.  you have to be able to win 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 games against the best teams. We hardly ever seem to do that.

I'm certainly don't know anything about softball recruiting. does he even have a chance competing against the best programs?

Our pitching has not been nearly as dominant as I thought it would when White came.  But it's been quite good the last month or so - good enough to be 1st in the conference except for that one game against OU.  Our bigger issue is lack of hitting, particularly power hitting, and leaving way too many stranded.  And of course fielding and stupid base running, but that's in White's DNA apparently.  

Edited by bschoolprof

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Our pitching has not been nearly as dominant as I thought it would when White came.  But it's been quite good the last month or so - good enough to be 1st in the conference except for that one game against OU.  Our bigger issue is lack of hitting, particularly power hitting, and leaving way too many stranded.  And of course fielding and stupid base running, but that's in White's DNA apparently.  

Yep. The hitting in 3 of the 6 Oklahoma school games (3-0, 3-0, 3-2, 2-1) weren’t enough but the pitching was. Like the 2-1 loss to UCLA.  I will say we only got blown out in 1 of the 6 games, which seems like progress? 

1 win out of 6 games

Shutout twice

4 losses by 3 or less runs (2 one run losses)

If we had pulled out either the Friday game or second game today, it would have been a “successful” 2 weekends. But alas, 1-5 instead of 2-4. 

Time to finish strong against Tech and Baylor - 6-0 is absolutely needed if we want to host. 

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. The hitting in 3 of the 6 Oklahoma school games (3-0, 3-0, 3-2, 2-1) weren’t enough but the pitching was. Like the 2-1 loss to UCLA.  I will say we only got blown out in 1 of the 6 games, which seems like progress? 

1 win out of 6 games

Shutout twice

4 losses by 3 or less runs (2 one run losses)

If we had pulled out either the Friday game or second game today, it would have been a “successful” 2 weekends. But alas, 1-5 instead of 2-4. 

Time to finish strong against Tech and Baylor - 6-0 is absolutely needed if we want to host. 

I agree Dolcini has been very good most of the season but that is kind of my point.  you aren't going to score 3 or 4 runs on the top 5-8 type teams very often.  you need to throw a shutout or 1 run game at them every so often to win a game and we can't do that. It is good that we are more competitive.  I agree it would be nice if we could score 3 or 4 runs but I view pitching in softball almost like defense in football.  It always travels and it should be way more consistent.  I think our hitting is way better than when Connie was here. He seems to be trading fielding for hitting.  I'm sure I'm in the minority but I expected a LOT more out of White on the pitching side.

hope they go 6-0.

Sheesh, another suicide. And coming off probably her best week. 

Lauren Bernett, a softball player for James Madison University, has died, the school announced Tuesday.

No cause of death or additional details were provided.

"Our hearts are aching, hearing the news of the loss of one of our student-athletes. Lauren Bernett was a high-achieving member of our softball team and a great ambassador of JMU and our athletics program," JMU president Jonathan Alger and athletic director Jeff Bourne said in a combined statement. "She was a key member of our 2021 Women's College World Series team as a freshman catcher last year.

"College athletics is great because of the people with whom we get to interact every day. We are a tight family. We are grateful that Lauren has been part of our JMU Athletics community and will always consider her to be a Duke. We will miss her dearly."

Odicci Alexander, star pitcher of JMU's Women's College World Series run in 2021, posted "Love you LB" on social media, as well as, "You really never know what someone is going through."

Bernett, a sophomore, was named the Colonial Athletic Association Player of the Week on Monday, following a weekend series in which she went 7-for-9 with seven RBIs, four runs scored and a home run.

As part of its release, the university provided links to its counseling center and additional resources for those dealing with mental health issues.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sheesh, another suicide. And coming off probably her best week. 

Our own All American setter quit over mental health concerns. The pressure to win and insane fans critiquing every move you make with such vitriol are a serious problem and schools are going to have to figure out having a mental health athletics staff for this very purpose. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I seriously doubt the hordes of JMU softball fans were really on her case after that week she just had. Something much deeper in her case. 

I was speaking in general. But you knew that. Also girls are mean af in the locker room and has some notoriously toxic coaches 

Edited by Js1

On 4/24/2022 at 1:30 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

I wonder what our team players think about her?

Dunno but she was good to us on the field, my kids are fans as she always made time for them. That ball she took off the face was brutal and I thought she’d immediately transfer. Sad ending IMO.

OKSt @ Fla St, no score after 2.  ESPN2.    Play again Friday, 5PM, ESPNU.    

Nice mention/tribute for Lauren Bennett, JMU.

Mentioned Elish out with bicep tendon injury,   Questionable depending on rehab whether she will be able to pitch again this year,  "may" pinch hit,  play 1B in the future.

1 hour ago, torre said:

Mentioned Elish out with bicep tendon injury,   Questionable depending on rehab whether she will be able to pitch again this year,  "may" pinch hit,  play 1B in the future.

FSU walks it off in the 9th

• Like 1

21 hours ago, torre said:

She’s batting 4th tonight. Quick turnout for “questionable” by the coach who looks like he just finished a 2 week bender 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas was cruising along until Tech hit a routine popup to center. Popelka dropped the ball, and next batter hits a 2 run HR to tie the game. 4-4 in the 5th inning

Cruising? We just took a 4-2 lead in the top half. We fell behind 0-2. We don’t cruise 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1