2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

Texas was 14th in the RPI used by the selection committee.  I can see why the team looked disappointed.

OU - seeded 1, #1 RPI
FSU - seeded 2, #3 RPI
VT - seeded 3, #2 RPI
Arkansas - seeded 4, #4 RPI
UCLA - seeded 5, #6 RPI
Alabama - seeded 6, #5 RPI
OK State - seeded 7, #7 RPI
ASU - seeded 8, #10 RPI
Northwestern - seeded 9, #11 RPI
Clemson - seeded 10, #8 RPI
Tennessee - seeded 11, #12 RPI
Duke - seeded 12, #9 RPI
Washington - seeded 13, #16 RPI
Florida - seeded 14, #13 RPI
Missouri - seeded 15, #18 RPI
UCF - seeded 16, #15 RPI

Texas was the only team in the top 16 of the RPI who didn't get a seed.  Missouri stole it. 

Texas - 38-17-1, RPI 14, non-conf RPI 8, #4 conference, 5-13 versus the top 25 and 4-2-1 versus 26-50
Missouri - 36-20. RPI 18, non-conf RPI 23, #1 conference, 9-10 versus the top 25 and 14-6 versus 26-50

SEC team got the benefit of the doubt over a Big 12 team.  An SEC team had more games against the 26-50 range than we did, since the SEC has Ole Miss, Miss St, Auburn and Texas A&M in the 26-50 range and the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 14 and then everyone else 59 and below. 

Goodbye to this crap ass conference. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Did Colleen just quit softball, but stay at Texas? That’s how her Insta appears. Guess her ‘19 UCLA NC was enough. 

Yes. Think she went Greek life full time 

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

this popped up on my twitters

Mary has more tweets on the matter if interested.  I know I should move on and care more about our team this year, but honestly I find the whole Elish drama way more interesting.  

Iakopo's string of tweets there is just a *chef's kiss* example of how soft and weak this team is (don't misunderstand me, the OSU writer without a doubt wrote a trash article).  It will be very interesting to see what White does in the offseason and whether he can regain control.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, someguy said:

Iakopo's string of tweets there is just a *chef's kiss* example of how soft and weak this team is (don't misunderstand me, the OSU writer without a doubt wrote a trash article).  It will be very interesting to see what White does in the offseason and whether he can regain control.

I thought it was very brave to admit to future teammates/employers that you are apparently “unlucky” enough to continually hurt your teammates.  

• Haha 1

Reading Hutchens' bio on his Twitter,  he is a young, inexperienced writer playing to the OKSt audience.    Kenny G did the same, though not in detail, before the regular season series.   Saying we welcomed Miranda knowing what she has been through, etc.    Before the tournament series,  he told ESPN "there is not as much emotion now playing Texas as there was in our first meeting during the regular season."   Still alluding to the Elish situation.

If Hutchens had  experience he would have replied to Mary's tweets by asking about her suspension earlier in the year.    

I agree with @bschoolprof this is an interesting drama.     Due to Kenng G's comments,   I do hope Nebraska wins the Stillwater Regional.

A candid critique of UW by the UW campus paper.     Should note that Plain 2 hit Pac12 Champ Az St with 13k's in her last appearance on 12 May.

Don't disrespect Weber St.  They have an ace pitcher (Arissa Henderson) with a 1.88 era, hit .313 as a team.

(excerpt) 

Fifth-year senior Gabbie Plain, while still effective, has had the worst season of her career, with a 2.02 ERA behind career-high walks and home runs surrendered with 53 and 14, respectively. Plain has pitched by far the most innings on the team with 159 1/3.

Seniors Baylee Klingler and Madison Huskey batted .378 and .329 in conference play, respectively, but no other qualified Washington player hit over .256 in Pac-12 games.

https://www.dailyuw.com/sports/softball/uw-softball-to-host-ncaa-regionals-as-no-13-overall-seed/article_c7e91cac-d4a4-11ec-8df6-97bc1eceaf10.html

https://weberstatesports.com/sports/softball/stats/2022

21 hours ago, torre said:

A candid critique of UW by the UW campus paper.     Should note that Plain 2 hit Pac12 Champ Az St with 13k's in her last appearance on 12 May.

Don't disrespect Weber St.  They have an ace pitcher (Arissa Henderson) with a 1.88 era, hit .313 as a team.

(excerpt) 

Fifth-year senior Gabbie Plain, while still effective, has had the worst season of her career, with a 2.02 ERA behind career-high walks and home runs surrendered with 53 and 14, respectively. Plain has pitched by far the most innings on the team with 159 1/3.

Seniors Baylee Klingler and Madison Huskey batted .378 and .329 in conference play, respectively, but no other qualified Washington player hit over .256 in Pac-12 games.

https://www.dailyuw.com/sports/softball/uw-softball-to-host-ncaa-regionals-as-no-13-overall-seed/article_c7e91cac-d4a4-11ec-8df6-97bc1eceaf10.html

https://weberstatesports.com/sports/softball/stats/2022

This regional is winnable if we get good Dolcini for 2 games, at least (winner's game and the regional championship)

If we lose to Weber St. (not impossible with this squad), we're fucked trying to come out of the loser's bracket. 

Does Mike have the balls to throw Simpson or Czech in game 1 against Weber St. to save Dolcini for Saturday/ to get us to the regional championship? 

Speaking of the portal, which Texas is pretty active in:

SFA's Shaylon Govan has entered the portal, from Katy, TX

Primary played 1B, listed as an IF
2021 - .383, 15 HR, 52 RBIs, 2021 Southland Hitter of the Year

Played during the pandemic shortened 2020, 2021 (full season) and was injured early this year (13 out of 56 games played) so she still has 2 regular seasons of eligiblity + COVID year + likely a medical RS year (23% of regular season games played in 2022) 

Was hitting .514 with 7 HR and 16 RBI in 13 games before her injury in 2021
.406, 6 HR and 26 RBI in 23 games before COVID shut the season down in 2020

So in 1.5 seasons basically, she has 28 HR.  With Mak Parker moving on to real life and Mary gone, she'd be the perfect power replacement.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This regional is winnable if we get good Dolcini for 2 games, at least (winner's game and the regional championship)

If we lose to Weber St. (not impossible with this squad), we're fucked trying to come out of the loser's bracket. 

Does Mike have the balls to throw Simpson or Czech in game 1 against Weber St. to save Dolcini for Saturday/ to get us to the regional championship? 

Thought about this all week.    I do agree we can win this Regional, but..

Unless MW has found some Tom Herman "pixie dust" for the pitching staff,  seems likely he will start Dolcini every game like the Connie Clark - Blair Luna scenario.   He chose to start Dolcini against lowly Tech in the first game of the B12 tournament.   Simpson's start against Baylor in game 2 was a disaster though she was competitive vs OU.

MW has done a poor job of developing this staff and recruiting from the portal last year.   Czech and Hulon have not been significant, though Czech has had her moments.  As @Goodman stated upthread,  we thought he would have a few "ringers" on the pitching staff.   Several key transfers  has to fall partially on MW.

Hope I'm wrong and he has worked with Simpson and Czech this week to correct their mechanics.   Simpson has  talent.  UW has an experienced team.  Starting the same pitcher 2 consecutive games is not good.

But in true MW fashion,  we will just try to oustscore them.   Offense mate,  Offense. 

Edited by torre

Great game by Czech and great decision by MW to start her with the LH hitters in Weber St's lineup.    Looked like she did early in the year.

1 BB, 5H and 6 K's,  0 errors.   Playoff quality stats.   In her last outing against Baylor in game 2,  Czech gave up 7 hits in 1 inning and walked 2.   Props to MW for correcting.  

image.jpeg.a3e7d7b3b82142adf3141c2876375c1f.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2