American Movie

Daichee Bell

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was JUST thinking about this movie which I haven't seen in 15-20 years. I actually pulled it up to see if it was streaming anywhere, no luck. Maybe I'll just buy it.

Yeah, same for me. It was something related to how many freaking drugs the sidekick had taken.  I remember being surprised anyone could handle that much. 

7 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was JUST thinking about this movie which I haven't seen in 15-20 years. I actually pulled it up to see if it was streaming anywhere, no luck. Maybe I'll just buy it.

I saw it just the other day on one of those second-rate free streaming services. I'll have to go look to see which one.

I watched the documentary "Shirkers" on Netflix, about some teenagers from Singapore who shot an indie road movie in the 1980s and then interesting things happened. That's what jostled this movie lose in my memory.

This kind of movie hit so much harder before you had access to everything on the planet streaming on your phone. It was like your friend's older brother's Hüsker Dü album. You would have had to have gone to Vulcan or something. I watched this at my friends house when we were in high school and I have no idea where he got it. Watching this shit tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

It was like your friend's older brother's Hüsker Dü album. You would have had to have gone to Vulcan or something. I watched this at my friends house when we were in high school and I have no idea where he got it. Watching this shit tonight.

I feel like I saw this at the Dobie. Probably at midnight, a slight buzz, with 6 other people scattered throughout the theatre.  

I had a DVD copy of it that I purchased from the website americanmovie.com (which is no longer active) based solely on seeing a clip of it on Ebert & Roeper after it had blown the audience away at Sundance. I loaned it to a friend of mine years ago and never got it back. You can stream it on Prime. Gonna have to do that again soon.

• Hook 'Em 1