Sleep Shows

SimonBolivar

@ernest_t_bass mentioned in another thread that he uses Seinfeld as his show that he goes to sleep to at night. The Mrs can't sleep having a tv on so I've compromised with headphone and the YouTube Vanced app that keeps videos playing without the screen being on for free. My current rotation is a mix of Yale history profs, Carl Sagan's Cosmos, and Ricky/Karl/Steve's XFM shows from the early 00s.

Does anyone else like having some media on as they drift to sleep? If so what do you have?

Just now, RPM said:

I have tinnitus and always have the TV on low in the background. Usually it's TCM.

My parents used that as their living room at 8PM nap time thing that olds do growing up so I got a healthy dose of all things 40s and 50s in childhood. I love me some TCM to this day. 

I have to have the tv on in the background when I sleep.  My goto used to be Ancient Aliens.  I found something about that narrator very soothing, but after playing every episode of all 15 seasons about 50 times I finally had to give it a rest.  I tried Law & Order for a while, but that gong sound got annoying.  Now I'm using King of Queens and Everyone loves Raymond

Usually something light like a sitcom and something I've already seen so I don't care when I end up sleeping through 2 or 3 episodes before Netflix or Hulu asks if I'm still watching and inevitably shuts it down.

IASIP, Cheers, Taxi, Frasier, Friends, Seinfield, The Simpsons, Happy Endings, KOTH are all shows to fall asleep to.  

Back in the day in my 20's and before streaming I'd always fall asleep to Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.  TBS used to also be pretty reliable with a steady stream of 90's and 00's sitcom reruns like King of Queens.  Although it would sometimes be jarring when the 4:00 paid programming shows would come on and wake you up because they'd be twice as loud as the normal shows.

Edited by Tom

30 minutes ago, bluto said:

So the tv runs all night or set a sleep timer? You people are savages in general

I don't fall asleep to the TV at night.  Don't have a TV in my room.

It's more for afternoon naps on the couch. 

wife likes to have random tv on

in college i used to sleep with music on headphones on.  sometimes i'd be waken up in the middle night to blaring fucking guitars by neil young or mogwai or my bloody valentine. 

if you need just any sort of noise - particularly to drown out ambient sounds - playing pink noise is a good option

I have to have something in the background but can't fall asleep to the brightness of a TV. I bought a whitenoise machine for babies instead, works like a charm.

Edit: To add to the thread, NYPD Blue or similar type shows worked for awhile

Edited by TankedBevo

1 hour ago, bluto said:

So the tv runs all night or set a sleep timer? You people are savages in general

When I was in my early 20s in the time before Plex then I'd have all of my tv shows/movies/plays on VLC in random order then I'd love having my TV on 24 hours a day as background noise and that way I could wake up at 3AM and be like "oh cool that is on" and go back to sleep. I've never had issues going back to sleep once I am out. I do have some problems in a quiet house where I'll sit down and freak out that I'm about to be unconscious for the next 6-8 hours. If I have something on the TV/headphones then that helps to drown that out.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

All night TV before streaming came along.  Streaming services will usually stop at some point on its own to ask if you're still watching.  I'm sure if I ever get married again I'll have to adjust my sleeping habits but for now savage confirmed.

And I’ll admit I need white noise (box fan) to sleep at night and can nod off for a nap sometimes watching tv, but having a full tv/music going at actual bed time is indeed savage. 

question going to random question/thought plan… why the f don’t hotels have box fans to ‘rent out’ at $5 or $10/night. I’d pay every damn time 

I prefer nonfiction shows as an insomnia aid. Anything presenting interesting and even off-the-wall ideas. Shows about astronomy, history, conspiracy theories, true crime, etc. There was a stretch where I would fall asleep every night in the middle of a Carlo Rovelli YouTube lecture about the physics of time. 

But I cleaned up my sleep hygiene a few months back and don’t rely on background TV nearly as much as I used to.

Usually South Park on Comedy or Archer on FXX.

My first wife couldn’t have any TV or light on anywhere in bedroom. Like the red “idle or “off” light on the TV would drive her nuts. She’s certifiable. My current wife can sleep even with the TV blaring in background.

6 hours ago, mackavelli said:

And then this….1c47182cad8cc51cfd314367243b63b0.jpg

I’ve slept with this for at least a decade, probably longer, and I usually pack it when I travel. My kids also have one in their rooms.

I can nap in the afternoon with sports on. But I don’t have a TV in my room and can’t get any quality sleep with it on.

I don't have a television in my bedroom.  But this thread nicely reminded me of watching Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" with my Dad when I was a kid.   Well, I played with whatever toy I had at the time while Dad watched it.  Dad has always had a great interest in science of all types.  So the subject didn't bore him.  But Sagan's soothing voice never failed to eventually lull him to sleep.   Dad is still alive, but this memory was a good one for me that I had not thought about in a long time.  Thanks.