The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

13 hours ago, Deej said:

"Rings"? I thought it was one ring to rule them all?

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die.

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

For those keeping score at home, that's 3+7+9=19 rings of power.  And then Sauron later forged the One Ring, in secret, in the fires of Mount Doom.

/nerd

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die.

One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
For those keeping score at home, that's 3+7+9=19 rings of power.  And then Sauron later forged the One Ring, in secret, in the fires of Mount Doom.
/nerd

a58f65549047ca144ec6bd971c988ac2.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

It's odd.  I tried to read The Hobbit in fifth grade and it was just a no-go for me.  And I'm an avid reader.  Not sure why.  Never cracked the Rings trilogy, which some have said is probably a better read.

A friend dragged me to the last Jackson Rings installment in the theater, and I rather enjoyed it and had somehow picked up over the years the basic story, so it wasn't mystifying.

I just recently watched the extended editions of Jackson's Ring trilogy (ow) and fairly enjoyed them.

Just yesterday watched the first installment of The Hobbit, and, while relatively enjoyable, found myself getting distracted quite often, which is not usually the sign of a great film to me.  Randal's criticism of all of them is not inapt.

I will say that Tolkien had one hell of an imagination.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's odd.  I tried to read The Hobbit in fifth grade and it was just a no-go for me.  And I'm an avid reader.  Not sure why.  Never cracked the Rings trilogy, which some have said is probably a better read.

A friend dragged me to the last Jackson Rings installment in the theater, and I rather enjoyed it and had somehow picked up over the years the basic story, so it wasn't mystifying.

I just recently watched the extended editions of Jackson's Ring trilogy (ow) and fairly enjoyed them.

Just yesterday watched the first installment of The Hobbit, and, while relatively enjoyable, found myself getting distracted quite often, which is not usually the sign of a great film to me.  Randal's criticism of all of them is not inapt.

Go watch the Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit from the 70s.  That's a better interpretation of the book, imo.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Totally agree with both of these.  

The Hobbit movies had so much extraneous filler, and at times were just so far-fetched--stretching credulity even farther than the original ideas of a world with magic and mystical beings-- that they were disappointing and off-putting to a huge part of both the existing fan base, and new viewers.

HOWEVER

I loved the world that Tolkein created and Peter Jackson brought to life on film so much, that I was able to move past all that, and still enjoy the Hobbit movies for the simple fact that I was once again able to immerse myself in that universe for a few films longer.  Because the original LOTR trilogy, even in extended director's cuts, still just wasn't enough for me.

For that reason, I expect I'll like this series as well, even if Xena herself rides in on Shadowfax and kicks Treebeard in the balls.

Oh I agree.  I own all six of Jackson's movies (extended editions, mofos).  LOTR is obviously far and away the better trilogy, but I still watch them all.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hobbit trilogy is unwatchable, imo. I never made it past the dwarf feast at Bilbo's.

Best LOTR movie is Two Towers. Best LOTR book is Fellowship.

I'll give this series a day in court, but I'm not very hopeful, tbh.

@TwiceHorn The Hobbit and LOTR books are very different in style or tone or whatever. Hobbit is written more for kids, LOTR is more for adult nerds. You might like LOTR more.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2022 at 9:53 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I read LOTR back in college while I was procrastinating doing real work on my major.  I tended to read really fast but without much comprehension other than the main plot line.  For example, if somebody was going on about the history of this family or that, I would just breeze right over it, to say nothing of the pages and pages of song and poetry that I just skipped altogether.  Somewhere during Book1, I must have skimmed a little too quickly when they were going over Sauruman's involvement and I got him and Sauron confused, so I had to go back and catch up.  I never understood why Tolkien made their names so alike.

Fast forward to when the first movie came out and all I could remember about the books was the ending.  So I went to see it and enjoyed it and promptly went back and reread the trilogy.  It was so much more clear the second time thanks to the movie.  Every few years I end up reading the whole thing all over again.

The Hobbit was a much easier read and not due strictly to volume, and it had a much warmer and homier feel to it.  The Hobbit movies kind of sucked, but they did give a lot of clarity to the players and locations.

The Silmarilion was a really tough read and I have no desire to go back and do it again until after watching some of this Amazon series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

The Silmarilion was a really tough read and I have no desire to go back and do it again until after watching some of this Amazon series. 

The portion that relates to the subject matter of the new show is short (less than 50 pages).

This is going to span 3400 years...geez it's going to be a hot mess.

I can't wait to see all the secondary contrived storyline they jam into it.  Should we have a side bingo game for it?

Girls going against their father's wishes, forbidden love interests, dipshit loser that finally saves the day, enemies becoming best friends...