The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

The Hobbit movies are terrible. They are “Prometheus” level bad. They are “The Last Jedi” level bad. And fuck Peter Jackson.

I enjoyed them, but it has been so long since I’ve read the books that I don’t recall where the movies added stuff.

6 hours ago, alincoln said:

Amazon evidently doesn't have the rights to anything relating to the 2nd age other than the appendices to LOTR. Sounds like we are heading towards Star Wars sequel and last season of GoT territory.  

The lack of rights provides some justification to all of the shit in the trailers that is nowhere to be found in Tolkien's work (i.e., they have almost no source material or characters to work from due to the limited rights they own), but this is unquestionably a story inspired by Tolkien not an adaptation.  

I think it was mentioned earlier - Amazon negotiated directly with the Tolkien estate. The Tolkien estate's Zaentz Company (who has the film and I guess book rights) did not include a bit about TV shows that are around 8 or more episodes, and Amazon has restrictions on what they can use as a result.

That's why Warner Brothers has the film rights, but Amazon can make a TV show.

Amazon may settle it once and for all - they could buy all of the rights for $2 billion or so, and it would get interesting.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-warner-bros-zaentz-rights-1235184414/

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Js1 said:

My favorite internet thing is people rushing to post how something will suck before it's even aired.

MOVE ASIDE, HOT TAKE COMING THROUGH.

The latest teaser/trailer has brought those guys out in droves. Lot of snowflakes.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

body-ready.gif

Just in the last 6 months, we’ve had TV series based on Halo, Star Wars, a fan-fucking-tactic Star Trek series, Wheel of Time, Marvel and Moon Knight and Ms, Marvel, and several I’m leaving out.

And when this kicks off, we’ll be in the midsts of a Star Wars series that looks awesome as well.  

Crazy times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just in the last 6 months, we’ve had TV series based on Halo, Star Wars, a fan-fucking-tactic Star Trek series, Wheel of Time, Marvel and Moon Knight and Ms, Marvel, and several I’m leaving out.

And when this kicks off, we’ll be in the midsts of a Star Wars series that looks awesome as well.  

Crazy times.

2022: year of the nerd 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Is this series gonna be about Sauron's original rise to power and subsequent defeat before he made a comeback in Hobbit/LOTR stories?

It’s named Rings of Power because it’s about a bunch of Middle Earth sorority girls who got drunk and got navel piercings and they felt empowered.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It’s named Rings of Power because it’s about a bunch of Middle Earth sorority girls who got drunk and got navel piercings and they felt empowered.

It’s been a while since I read the books, but I think this is right.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, atomheartbevo said:

That is about as consistent with Tolkien's works as this show appears to be.  The parallels to Game of Thrones without source material are eerie.  Also, what the fuck is that music in the trailer.

The review embargo is over.

It's getting generally good reviews from screeners - mentions up front it starts off slow because it's all introduction and lore (fuck yeahhhhh, nerds) and is breathtakingly beautiful. 

I think we get 2 next Friday.  

• Hook 'Em 1

That's the basic issue.  They have almost no source material (including no dialogue) and had to create many characters and fill in massive gaps in the story much of which appears to be inconsistent with Tolkien's total works.  

Galadriel is clearly the main character in this show and her role in the Second Age timeline in the Appendices is limited to a single sentence. 

These showrunners may be amazing writers capable of creating a brilliant show but it is very roughly based on Tolkien (inspired by not an adaptation).  

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

What is the basis of this?  To my knowledge, the premise is based on The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and other Tolkien works.  Pretty sure the estate signed off on it.  But I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

That's the basic issue.  They have almost no source material (including no dialogue) and had to create many characters and fill in massive gaps in the story much of which appears to be inconsistent with Tolkien's total works.  

Galadriel is clearly the main character in this show and her role in the Second Age timeline in the Appendices is limited to a single sentence. 

These showrunners may be amazing writers capable of creating a brilliant show but it is very roughly based on Tolkien (inspired by not an adaptation).  

Well shit.

https://www.cultureslate.com/news/why-amazon-doesnt-have-the-rights-to-jrr-tolkiens-the-silmarillion#:~:text=“We have the rights solely,any of those other books…

McKay and Payne might have a little more leeway due to the Tolkien Estate being involved in the project, but we can probably expect not to see significant life events in Middle Earth-like the Fall of Gondolin, as described in depth in The Silmarillion or anything else from Tolkien’s Unfinished Tales.

Payne said in the Vanity Fair article:

“We have the rights solely to The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit. And that is it. We do not have the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-Earth, or any of those other books…We worked in conjunction with world-renowned Tolkien scholars and the Tolkien estate to make sure that the ways we connected the dots were Tolkien-ian and gelled with the experts’ and the estate’s understanding of the material.”

It’s kind of the same problem as Star Wars. Stop trying to tie this in with existing material. You won’t meet fanboy expectations no matter what you do and casual fans don’t really know much other than there are hobbits, elves, dwarves, and a few wizards. It’s a gigantic world/universe. There had to be something else interesting going on that doesn’t have to tie in to existing works.
  • Hook 'Em 1

More on the rights

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220824-the-ancient-roots-of-the-lord-of-the-rings

The series takes its cue from an appendix Tolkien wrote for the final instalment of his epic, slenderly outlining the history of Middle-earth's Second Age. This was a time when the legendary rings were forged and the dark Lord Sauron rose to power, a time when the island kingdom of Númenor flourished (and then fell), and elves and men were compelled to band together in order to do battle for the soul of Middle-earth. By necessity – legal as well as creative (Amazon doesn't own the rights to posthumously published materials in which Tolkien goes into greater depth on the Second Age) – the show's writers have had to alter and embellish, compressing time frames, inventing new characters and tinkering with the storylines of some canonical creations.

——

and it gets into the inspiration:

As a teenager at King Edward's school in Birmingham, Tolkien began reading Norse sagas in the original medieval Icelandic (West Norse) and even presented a paper on the subject to the school's Literary Society in 1911," Grace Khuri, an Oxford University doctoral researcher, tells BBC Culture. Her thesis, which covers the influence of Norse mythology on the writer, is the first Tolkien-related thesis the author's alma mater has deemed rigorous enough to allow. "He also treated his closest friends to informal, spirited recitations of Old Norse and other medieval material," she adds.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2022 at 9:01 AM, Js1 said:

The review embargo is over.

It's getting generally good reviews from screeners - mentions up front it starts off slow because it's all introduction and lore (fuck yeahhhhh, nerds) and is breathtakingly beautiful. 

I think we get 2 next Friday.  

918a2620-bb4d-4d62-b9cf-ddedb23ddd45_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

More on the rights

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220824-the-ancient-roots-of-the-lord-of-the-rings

The series takes its cue from an appendix Tolkien wrote for the final instalment of his epic, slenderly outlining the history of Middle-earth's Second Age. This was a time when the legendary rings were forged and the dark Lord Sauron rose to power, a time when the island kingdom of Númenor flourished (and then fell), and elves and men were compelled to band together in order to do battle for the soul of Middle-earth. By necessity – legal as well as creative (Amazon doesn't own the rights to posthumously published materials in which Tolkien goes into greater depth on the Second Age) – the show's writers have had to alter and embellish, compressing time frames, inventing new characters and tinkering with the storylines of some canonical creations.

——

and it gets into the inspiration:

As a teenager at King Edward's school in Birmingham, Tolkien began reading Norse sagas in the original medieval Icelandic (West Norse) and even presented a paper on the subject to the school's Literary Society in 1911," Grace Khuri, an Oxford University doctoral researcher, tells BBC Culture. Her thesis, which covers the influence of Norse mythology on the writer, is the first Tolkien-related thesis the author's alma mater has deemed rigorous enough to allow. "He also treated his closest friends to informal, spirited recitations of Old Norse and other medieval material," she adds.

I would like to understand why they couldn't or wouldn't get rights to the other sources that existed during the 2nd age.  Was it money, or simply that the estate (or his son's estate) wouldn't release them.

43 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I would like to understand why they couldn't or wouldn't get rights to the other sources that existed during the 2nd age.  Was it money, or simply that the estate (or his son's estate) wouldn't release them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/the-lord-of-the-rings-has-a-new-rights-owner-what-does-that-mean/ar-AA10NtPn

it's a lot of words but i'm still confused as hell.

i've perused 3 diff articles. 

inigo-montoya-sum-up.gif

- JR needed money to pay the tax man so he sold some rights

- some company bought the rights to LOTR and the Hobbit, but not the other materials. all other material is still owned by Tolkien Estate.

- those rights got sold to another company, which just got sold to a Swedish Gaming company

- of the above rights, there's a loophole about film more than 4 or 8 episodes (2 sources said 8, 1 source said 4, who the fuck knows)

- amazon is using that 4 or 8 episode loop hole to create this series

that's my interpretation but i'm prob very wrong. someone correct me.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3