The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

i've perused 3 diff articles. 

inigo-montoya-sum-up.gif

- JR needed money to pay the tax man so he sold some rights

- some company bought the rights to LOTR and the Hobbit, but not the other materials. all other material is still owned by Tolkien Estate.

- those rights got sold to another company, which just got sold to a Swedish Gaming company

- of the above rights, there's a loophole about film more than 4 or 8 episodes (2 sources said 8, 1 source said 4, who the fuck knows)

- amazon is using that 4 or 8 episode loop hole to create this series

that's my interpretation but i'm prob very wrong. someone correct me.

PWZT.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bezos' son: "Dad, please don’t eff this up."

https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/lord-of-the-rings-rings-of-power-premiere-london-1235354449/

“Every showrunner’s dream – and I mean every showrunner – their dream is to get notes on scripts and early cuts from the founder and executive chairman,” Bezos quipped while introducing the first two episodes of the series at the Odeon Luxe cinema in Leicester Square. “They loved that. I need to thank you both for listening whenever it helped but mostly I need to thank you for ignoring me at exactly the right times.”

“My grandfather’s the one who introduced me to Tolkien,” said Bezos. “I fell in love immediately, I was probably 13 or 14 years old. I fell in love with the adventure of course, with the detailed universe, with the feelings of hope and optimism, with the idea that everybody has a role to play. And I’m happy to report that that cycle continues today. My kids have become Tolkien fans as well. In fact one of my boys I think approaches the level of a Tolkien scholar he knows so much about this universe. And after Amazon got involved in this project, my son came up to me one day, he looked me in the eyes, very sincerely, and he said: ‘Dad, please don’t eff this up.’ And he was right. We know that this world is important to so many people, we know it’s a privilege to work inside this world and we know it’s a big responsibility.”

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

When is this releasing? Tonight at some time or tomorrow? 

52 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Tomorrow evening.  There is a countdown on Amazon.com

Amazon shows drop at midnight GMT which is 7pm for us on Thursday night 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

A friend of mine who blogs/ logs this kind of stuff, got to see the first few episodes with a group of other folks who were also invited to see it.  I trust his judgement, he’s not afraid to be critical in his reviews, and he does deep dives on stuff.

His non-spoiler review he sent to a few of us (he’s preparing a spoiler review when I guess the embargo drops):

• He said it was much better than the Hobbit trilogy, and it’s too early to tell if it will be as good as the LOTR trilogy, but it’s feeling pretty good.  He said even though we know it’s going to run for 40-50 hours and cost over a billion dollars to make, it felt really tight in editing and plotting, and everything felt like it served the show in some way, even if they had only seen a few hours of it, unlike the Hobbit trilogy, or the Wheel of Time series.
  • He said the weekly format made it feel like slowly reading the novels for the first time, and with only 6 episodes left in the season, he said it maybe better to binge for some people.
  • It fit into the Tolkien world far better than the Hobbit trilogy.
  • He said a one word description would be “cinematic” in terms of how the show was filmed, how things were presented, how the world was built out, etc.  He said the Wheel of Time folks, as well as the Disney/Star Wars/Marvel crews, could take lessons on how to make their own TV shows feel more epic/cinema-like where appropriate.  He said the few hours they watched were on the level of any modern movies, and there was nothing like the bad CGI in the Hobbit movies, and they clearly had the time to do what they wanted to do.  He mentioned that there was nothing like where the Marvel or Star Wars TV shows were clearly TV shows in terms of budgets or VFX, and you could easily watch the first two Rings episodes on a movie screen.
  • Majority of the cast/characters were solid, and there were no performances that were all that terrible, and in terms of dialogue/story, there were only a few times where the dialogue felt non-tolkienesque and he cringed (his words), but overall, most people won’t notice or care, as the overall writing was solid.  The made-up characters weren’t bad at all, unlike Hobbit, and some of the concerns he had about character descriptions were ultimately unfounded, and the made-up characters felt like they were there to serve the show and not fill screen time with useless subplots, unlike the Hobbit trilogy. 
  • He is extremely familiar with what Amazon has the rights to and doesn’t) and what characters, events, etc. were made up for this series and what refers back to the source material (he’s written and vlogged about it which is why he got the invite), and he said knowing the source material well paid off. He said there are plenty of instances of what you could call fan service if you knew the material, but it wouldn’t be lost on somebody who didn’t know the material.   He said the new material felt natural and the acting carried it, even when the dialogue didn’t.  He vaguely described a scene between two characters briefly talking, and if you knew the source material, you knew the deeper meaning of what they were saying and you were impressed, but if you didn’t, you still got a sense that the characters had known each other for a long time and you still got the gravity of the situation.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

So, Cinemark had a sneak showing of the first two episodes tonight at 7:00 p.m.

First, I am a Tolkein Fan Boi.  I have a first edition volume of the Silmarillion. 

On the big screen, the cinematic impact was dramatic.  Hard to believe we were watching two episodes of a series.

It starts to show the animosity between the dwarves and elves, how wizards came about ... and sets the table for future episodes. You don't get a lot of in depth war action in these episodes, but there is tremendous promise.

Oh.. Galadriel slams and goes hard ... especially in a diaphanous gown that gets very wet.  Great scenes for you Pervs.

I liked it more than the House of Dragons first two episodes.

Definitely worth your time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

41 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

fans" review bombing

Good to see those “fans” got to watch it before everybody else….

Also, there’s a shit-ton of YouTube videos claiming to “review” it and are just trashing the shit out of it, even though it’s clear they didn’t actually watch it.  They don’t clickbait very good.

39 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Haven't been able to watch it yet but loving what I'm hearing from you guys.

The music is fucking epic.  Cinematography is fucking epic.  Just does not feel like a TV series at all.

23 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Oh.. Galadriel slams and goes hard ... especially in a diaphanous gown that gets very wet.  Great scenes for you Pervs.

Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

Description of Galadriel by J.R.R. Tolkien, in Unfinished Tales, written over 50 years ago, if you come across anybody bitching that she fights and commands..

Spoiler

"[Galadriel] was then of Amazon disposition and bound up her hair as a crown when taking part in athletic feats.”
"[Galadriel] fought fiercely against Fëanor in defense of her mothers kin."
"She looked upon the dwarves also with the eye of a commander, seeing in them the finest warriors to pit against the Orcs."
"Galadriel was the greatest of the Noldor, except Fëanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom grew with the long years."
"So it came to pass that when the light of Valinor failed, for ever as the Noldor thought, she joined the rebellion against the Valar who commanded them to stay; and once she had set foot upon that road of exile she would not relent, but rejected the last message of the Valar, and came under the Doom of Mandos. Even after the merciless assault upon the Teleri and the rape of their ships, though she fought fiercely against Fëanor in defense of her mother's kin, she did not turn back. Her pride was unwilling to return, a defeated suppliant for pardon; but now she burned with desire to follow Fëanor with her anger to whatever lands he might come, and to thwart him in all ways that she could. Pride still moved her when, at the end of the Elder Days after the final overthrow of Morgoth, she refused the pardon of the Valar for all who had fought against him, and remained in Middle-earth. It was not until two long ages more had passed, when at last all that she had desired in her youth came to her hand, the Ring of Power and the dominion of Middle-earth which she had dreamed, that her wisdom was full grown and she rejected it, and passing the last test departed from Middle-earth for ever."

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyone that doesn’t like this so far is such a fucking idiot. It’s great.

What’s crazy is that this budget is a rounding error for Bezos. His personal income is $1.75 BILLION per week. Amazon makes that amount per day.

He’s not gonna drop the ball on this from a budget perspective. I hope it gives him incentive to invest more in his entertainment branch.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just finished the first two.  I quite enjoyed that and looking forward to more of them.  Any thoughts on who the dude from the sky is?

Wizard

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The music is fucking epic. 

Howard Shore did the music again, as he did for LOTR and Hobbit.  He's awesome.

Also, for not having the rights to anything besides LOTR, appendices, and Hobbit, they have alluded to or outright mentioned a lot of backstory already.  Hell, they are addressing the Silmarils directly.  I am very satisfied so far.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haphap said:

some are speculating a blue wizard

Figured it to be a wizard but wasn’t sure if it was one of the named wizards everyone already knows from LOTR or the Hobbit movies.  Guessing the timeline wouldn’t fit for any of those wizards but I don’t know how long they live.  I was hoping it was Gandalf.  

38 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when they showed Feanor's hammer and talked about him.  Also, that had to be the Arkenstone that Durin and his dad were talking about, right?

That was my immediate thought, but the Arkenstone should be in the Lonely Mountain, not in Moria (is it Moria?).