The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

The black elf guy who is in love with Bronwyn is a total babe.  I don't really get why he loves her when she basically has the lifespan of a gnat compared to him. I know she is the leader of her people and a gifted healer, but I don't think she has even put out yet aside from one kiss. 

Also, I have to watch episodes like 3 times to soak up all that is going on. I always catch new things each time. I don't know who Adar is but he is very interesting to me.

Edited by burntorangebongos

The black elf guy who is in love with Bronwyn is a total babe.  I don't really get why he loves her when she basically has the lifespan of a gnat compared to him. I know she is the leader of her people and a gifted healer, but I don't think she has even put out yet aside from one kiss. 
Also, I have to watch episodes like 3 times to soak up all that is going on. I always catch new things each time. I don't know who Adar is but he is very interesting to me.

It seems to me that her boy is the elf’s son.

Just watched - had other stuff going on since Friday. I'll definitely watch again with subtitles. 

Halbrand isn't Sauron. Jesus fuck, people. 

Good episode but I feel like it got stretched a bit only telling one story. Coming in, I thought the Arondir/Bronwyn/Adar arc was actually the weakest part of the show. Looking forward to more Elrond/Durin/Harfoot stuff in the next one. 

This show reminds me of the Avengers movies in that if you abandon your suspension of disbelief and focus on being overly critical you can nitpick it to death (like a lot of people online are doing) but because it's so fucking theatrically awesome and well written and acted on top of that that you wind up not giving a shit.

At least - that's kind of where I am. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh yeah - Galadriel is one of my favorite characters in anything I've seen maybe ever (minus the stupid backhanding someone's head off hanging upside down shit). Just an absolute masterpiece put on screen so far. I hope they don't fuck her up. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Drool 2

55 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh yeah - Galadriel is one of my favorite characters in anything I've seen maybe ever (minus the stupid backhanding someone's head off hanging upside down shit). Just an absolute masterpiece put on screen so far. I hope they don't fuck her up. 

You mean other than turning her into toast

18 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

You should catch the Nerd of the Rings YouTube channel episode recaps. About 20 minutes and really makes you appreciate the depth of this series plus catches you up on things.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

. I don't know who Adar is but he is very interesting to me.

He used to be a normal dude, but then his race got into a big war with another one, so a little pixie thing took a dragonglass (=obsidian) dagger and plunged it in his chest. 

So now he just goes around in the snow kidnapping babies and commanding an army of the dead. 

21 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

He looks like the elf version of A-Rod

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

The-Lord-of-the-Rings_-The-Rings-of-Power-Official-Trailer-_-Prime-Video-1-53-screenshot-compressed.jpg Did they add a chin dimple in makeup? Or maybe they are enhancing his face? He looks like he has a more pronounced chin with a dimple. The colored eyes with his skin tone is devastating enough but add a fuckin' chin dimple and he can cause a tsunami in a room full of ladies. A pissnami! 

Clean up on aisle 4!!

Overall Im enjoying the show, but the battle scene in the last episode was pretty fucking weak. So they are heavily outnumbered, Orcs vs regular townsfolk plus one bad ass elf, yet they won easily thanks to a runaway wagon full of burning wood that took out half the orcs. Wtf? The other half stands there for a minute and then just casually walks around the little burning wagon and into the village. Lulz

• Hook 'Em 1

That was good but the THE SOUTHLANDS -> MORDOR text was cheesy as fuuuuuck. They should have had Adar say it instead.

Spoiler

Also the Isildur cliffhanger is cracking me up. Obviously he survives. 

I still like the elf/dwarf and Harfoot stuff the best. I feel like the Numenorean/Southland plot got a little messy the last couple episodes. 

Spoiler

Didn't expect the Balrog so soon. Also didn't think the mithril would actually save the tree. Interdasting. 

On 10/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, ztejas said:

This show reminds me of the Avengers movies in that if you abandon your suspension of disbelief and focus on being overly critical you can nitpick it to death (like a lot of people online are doing) but because it's so fucking theatrically awesome and well written and acted on top of that that you wind up not giving a shit.

At least - that's kind of where I am. 

That's pretty much exactly where I am. There's room for criticism about everything from the acting to the casting to the artistic license, but overall it's just DAMN... massive storytelling with some great soliloquies.

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

The timeline with Kahzad Dum and the Balrog is confusing me. Should it really be happening this early?

It doesn’t fuck shit up until TA 1980. But that was when they had mined basically all the way to the bottom of the mithril vein. Just felt like a foreshadowing for a loooong time from now / fan service. I wonder if we even see it again because otherwise it would be wonky for the timeline since it was Durin VI and we are only now seeing Durin III and IV

14 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

The timeline with Kahzad Dum and the Balrog is confusing me. Should it really be happening this early?

They're having to compress a few thousand years of Middle Earth history into a few years for the show, so there's some dramatic license involved.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

They're having to compress a few thousand years of Middle Earth history into a few years for the show, so there's some dramatic license involved.

For all we know, we may jump into some TA stuff by season 5 and it can reappear. Just felt like a wink and nod to the OT fans 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It doesn’t fuck shit up until TA 1980. But that was when they had mined basically all the way to the bottom of the mithril vein. Just felt like a foreshadowing for a loooong time from now / fan service. I wonder if we even see it again because otherwise it would be wonky for the timeline since it was Durin VI and we are only now seeing Durin III and IV

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

For all we know, we may jump into some TA stuff by season 5 and it can reappear. Just felt like a wink and nod to the OT fans 

They’ve said that there is stuff referenced or shown in season one, that won’t come back until season 5, and given that this season is almost over, I’m guessing that was it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I doubt it. I'm assuming they stitch it straight into LOTR with Isildur getting killed. Rouge One style. 

But you could be right. Plenty of stuff has surprised me already. 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They’ve said that there is stuff referenced or shown in season one, that won’t come back until season 5, and given that this season is almost over, I’m guessing that was it.

Yeah I believe that. I don’t think they’ve straight up said what the 5 season timeline looks like and if it takes us into the TA.  Otherwise, I thought it was good fan service scene (for now) 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Nobody knows and nobody's talking.

Most likely theory I've heard is he's one of the two blue wizards.

i dont think much was written about the blue wizards right?  so i guess they kinda have a clean slate to do whatever they want.  if thats who he is

Edited by The Dude

Just now, ztejas said:

I still think it's Saruman or Gandalf. 

It might be, but they weren't sent to Middle Earth until the Third Age, after Sauron was defeated the first time.

It's possible they're using dramatic license.

Meanwhile, the blue wizards have no story yet, so the writers can tell any story they like.

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I believe that. I don’t think they’ve straight up said what the 5 season timeline looks like and if it takes us into the TA.  Otherwise, I thought it was good fan service scene (for now) 

Yeah that’s probably what’s going on. But I guess the Balrog wakes up and gets all mad and then decides to chill for a couple thousand years

On 10/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, ztejas said:

I still think it's Saruman or Gandalf. 

I'm still leaning Gandalf, just because of his connection to the Harfoots (Hobbits).  I would like it to be one of the Blue wizards, but 99% of the casual fans probably have no clue they exist anyway, so it's easier for them to grasp Gandalf or Saruman.