The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

20 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

shut the fuck up elon, nobody gives a fuck what you think

To be fair, he has 105 million followers on twitter.

Somebody cares. 

And I care, too, given that I'm always interested in the autistic perspective on just about anything.

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Won’t get specific for spoilers but

• Galadriel got way hotter
  • Arondir got more bad-asser
  • Harfoots got more….brutal
  • Halbrand got more interesting
  • Orcs got more interesting 
  Hide contents

And no Elrond, well at least not outside of a tapestry, unless I missed him (was briefly out of the room)

Basically. And Numenor was holy shit beautiful 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Daaaaamn.  I like where this is all heading so far.

What's the rule on spoilers?  2-3 days?

It’s been out since 11pm last night. At this point, if you click on this and get spoiled, that’s on them 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Daaaaamn.  I like where this is all heading so far.

The scary thing is the show runners said there are things in season 1 that won’t come into play or be fully realized until season 5.  They are building up some big things.  

The cinematography and FX should win all the awards.  Numenor Was amazing.

I'll put it in spoilers out of respect, because a lot of folks are just getting home from happy hour but...

Spoiler

Did anyone notice that Halbrand's sigil looked very much like a frontal view of a man riding an eagle? At least, I thought I made out a head and arms.

Maybe that's not remarkable for those who've read the Silmarillion and are fully into the lore.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'll put it in spoilers out of respect, because a lot of folks are just getting home from happy hour but...

Hide contents

Did anyone notice that Halbrand's sigil looked very much like a frontal view of a man riding an eagle? At least, I thought I made out a head and arms.

Maybe that's not remarkable for those who've read the Silmarillion and are fully into the lore.

Spoiler

Halbrand is obviously Sauron, instead of Numenor capturing him he shows up in disguise

• Like 1

I absolutely love the way the Harfeet disguise/camouflage themselves. Just brilliant.

The way they just straight up disappeared when the meteor guy stumbled around and stuck his head out of the tarp/whatever.  I was laughing.

Are they hobbits?  Or ancestors of the hobbits?  Sorry if that's a dumb question. I don't know anything that wasn't in the 6 movies.  At least not beyond the few things I've read in LOTR wiki.

I felt like we'd figured out who Sauron was, but now I'm not sure at all.  Apparently he's the heir to the throne in the South Lands?

Anybody know who the fuck Adar was?  (And is Adar not Sauron?)

Damn this show is good. 

Edited by Augustus

I will say that if Halbrand is not Sauron, they're definitely wanting us to think he is.

The long, loving glance at the forge, and then the attempt to get employed there.

His comment about his name. "Depends on how close you are."

I don't know what, if any, connection to the South Lands Sauron is supposed to have had.  Anybody?

• Like 1

Last question.  Why did they blur Adar's face?

Is it possible he's an elf we've already met in the first couple of episodes?

One more thing regarding Halbrad. 

Spoiler

I saw a theory on another site that he's a Nazgul.  Apparently one of them was named?

Edited by Augustus

I don’t know anything of the source material beyond the Hobbitt and LOTR books/movies but I had some thoughts:

Meteor Man is no friend. With the line in Ep 1 about torches giving off no heat and then in Ep 2 Nori says the coals around the impact site are not hot. And he wants to get to Mordor.

Apparently Adar is a fallen or corrupted elf. According to my son who googled. 

I think Harbrand becomes one of the ring wraiths that we see in the LOTR. Perhaps even the lead one. 

Elves not just being a cheat code is good to see. Having them being captured and enslaved by the orcs, Galadriel doesn’t just easily escape, etc  

Visually this show is great. Numenor, Khazad Dum, etc have all looked amazing. 

Really liking it this far. 

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

I will say that if Halbrand is not Sauron, they're definitely wanting us to think he is.

The long, loving glance at the forge, and then the attempt to get employed there.

His comment about his name. "Depends on how close you are."

I don't know what, if any, connection to the South Lands Sauron is supposed to have had.  Anybody?

The South Lands is the future location of Mordor

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

I don’t know anything of the source material beyond the Hobbitt and LOTR books/movies but I had some thoughts:

Meteor Man is no friend. With the line in Ep 1 about torches giving off no heat and then in Ep 2 Nori says the coals around the impact site are not hot. And he wants to get to Mordor.

Apparently Adar is a fallen or corrupted elf. According to my son who googled. 

I think Harbrand becomes one of the ring wraiths that we see in the LOTR. Perhaps even the lead one. 

Elves not just being a cheat code is good to see. Having them being captured and enslaved by the orcs, Galadriel doesn’t just easily escape, etc  

Visually this show is great. Numenor, Khazad Dum, etc have all looked amazing. 

Really liking it this far. 

I think meteor man has to be a wizard. No other explanation really. 

Technically, all orcs are fallen elves. 

I like the witch king option for Halbrand. Sauron is too on the nose and it would make sense for him to try and fight Sauron, but fail and cave in to his weakness as a human. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Motherfuckers just spoiled some major plot points during the UT game.

Reveal hidden contents

But holy fuck it looks like we are getting some massive battles

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Oh, another question:  In the movies, I don't recall Orcs sizzling/melting in the sunlight like trolls.  Am I misremembering that?

I think that was one of the major advantages of the Uruk Hai in LOTR.

Any thoughts on who / what this little guy might be? Doing a re-watch, and he's spotted at the very beginning of Ep 3 when Arondir is just waking up in the tunnel / trench after getting captured. He doesn't look orcish to me.

8POh6_oHL7Y55SqySCUoWuocchefFHO6QHHOWlo9y7mtQh5V4ju_qA_6bhFvvSUjL70CNR3UgNPIlVYQ1z8uLdXYewlGx5lv-gnI55Ep-94NJkx76vRw77TsxBADxgwLxctD8v9xeFsE7SnCV_E1atG2NEZuRysmNVnuv-6Yhht7rYWfKD__sdCAaDl-QBDtb3JD0tLe-kXKAgBpY0KBIir1KBHqYX_wRlBfq6F3Ls3BgnDsfMkc3BZxaStj9aFA29s-32Bw4YtQ4nHJCnuiR-R4n0oWarOSxCKxOgL7bw47XrrduBUjEW5M1gQ6d9QnIdFsQi6I41_eM7o5DwMxapgBNpZqpudejItH6IcjBHp_cdhyaAilQhJM1lmJ2_Wl6uZk0m18ogalrXiCCXIKhM2HuK2cTgKZi1AFlEpFIi965SeE0jjGVyfeGXgAD9iCZwrNALJFk3WQ0UahdNX9C7DFwHQtL9sKCy6wmNNTZghGJ7je9U9Dr6XfUMDLwgZ-jy0O42bejlA4zXSkBzYwsBGk0_q9QwYGOvqLy0dletQt16HiUNodfQ9BAK6S5Fxa0QhtMVXKlfHcd_etFfUBFeYKLL4irWnAHfONFnZqvI991iDrSsAAfZ5NI8S9geg-g_yriwyGQWukV6gjsr8bvILp3HJmJpk-EUR1PlIl66YoDU6x_i9vxt0-r7hXTj0twsvT5MvgxMeeHWW0KwWi6QJVM0rnIf8jl4MnR_5USYAEfvgbuLdgcbSfsA6z=w630-h866-no?authuser=0

Trying this again since all that shows is an ugly url.

image.png.f9c2d968e210aebb11b30bd5c02f800f.png

@atomheartbevo @Augustus

Edited by bolverk

40 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It’s an orc wearing an animal skull, no?

Nah. Pretty sure it’s Groot. 

19 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Motherfuckers just spoiled some major plot points during the UT game.

Hide contents

But holy fuck it looks like we are getting some massive battles

Well spill the beans. 

The show is starting to get very good.

There was a scene last episode where meteor man looked exactly like Saruman to my eyes.  I'm guessing (no book nerd) that he has his turn fighting for good this series.  Would add gravitas to the despair that drives him to Sauron in LOTR.

Halbrand has mentioned that his folk were Morgoth's biggest supporters.  He coyly avoided a statement on his personal allegiance, but I think the show is hinting strongly enough.  He's looking for a forge to craft the rings.

If Halbrand is Sauron, I'm not clear on who Adar is.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Earien has some big ass titties. I’m a fan. 

She's total smoke. This is a great show so far. 

14 hours ago, Augustus said:

Oh, another question:  In the movies, I don't recall Orcs sizzling/melting in the sunlight like trolls.  Am I misremembering that?

I think Middle Earth is "darkened" by that point. The only scenes with orcs fighting during the day occur near Mordor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I retract my initial misgivings.  I kind of dig this show.  The hobbitty people are a bit "Midsummer Nights Dream" for my taste, and if British African Americans lived in middle earth then there had to be some metsicans too, so I would appreciate maybe a cameo or two from Luis Guzman or Neto from Narcos -- hell, I don't care if they are dwarfs.

The orc in the cupboard was kind of scary and badass.  I wish they were all kind of like that.