2022 Transfer WR Isaiah Neyor

Teryor

Sure like his attitude on the field - great size and arm length which will help in red zone area.  Appears to have good hands, and runs routes well for size.  Good speed, still a lot of room to improve his game.  Practicing and playing against better DBs will be great for him --  really needs to improve ball security.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

TexasSports:

Football adds Neyor to 2022 newcomers

A transfer from Wyoming and native of Fort Worth, wide receiver Isaiah Neyor becomes the 31st member of the Longhorns’ 2022 class

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Football has added wide receiver Isaiah Neyor, a transfer from Wyoming and native of Fort Worth, as the 31st member of the Longhorns' 2022 class of newcomers.

Neyor will enroll in Texas in January and be listed as a junior for the 2022 season with the potential of three years of eligibility remaining that include the NCAA's allowance for an additional year due to COVID.

A second-team All-Mountain West Conference honoree last season, Neyor compiled 44 receptions for 878 yards (19.95 ypr) and 12 touchdowns, including back-to-back 100-yard games at Boise State and Utah State. His 19.95 yards per reception and 12 receiving touchdowns both led the MWC and ranked sixth and eighth in the FBS, respectively. As a redshirt freshman in 2020, Neyor played in all six of the Cowboys' games in a season shortened by the pandemic, recording eight receptions for 248 yards, which ranked second on the team. His 31.0 yards per catch was on pace to lead the nation had he caught four more passes to meet the NCAA minimum of two per game to be ranked. Neyor appeared in one game in 2019 as a true freshman.

A standout receiver at Lamar High School in Arlington, Neyor was a second-team All-District 4-6A selection as a senior in 2018, collecting 39 receptions for 858 yards (22.0 ypr) and eight touchdowns. He helped Lamar to an 11-2 overall record, including a 6-1 district mark, and an appearance in the 6A Division 1 regional playoffs that year.

Isaiah Neyor
(NAY-or)
Wide Receiver
6-3 • 210 • Jr.-TR
Fort Worth, Texas (Wyoming/Arlington Lamar)
HS Coach: Laban DeLay

A transfer wide receiver from Wyoming … named second-team All-Mountain West Conference honoree in 2021 … compiled 44 receptions for 878 yards (19.95 ypr) and 12 touchdowns as a senior … his 19.95 yards per reception and 12 receiving touchdowns both led the MWC and ranked sixth and eighth in the FBS, respectively … posted back-to-back 100-yard games at Boise State and Utah State … played in all six games of a 2020 season shortened by the pandemic … recorded eight receptions for 248 yards, which ranked second on the team … his 31.0 yards per catch was on pace to lead the nation had he caught four more passes to meet the NCAA minimum of two per game to be ranked … registered a 100-yard game with 102 yards on three receptions at Nevada … appeared in one game in 2019 as a true freshman … a standout receiver at Lamar High School in Arlington … tabbed second-team All-District 4-6A selection in 2018 … collected 39 receptions for 858 yards (22.0 ypr) and eight touchdowns as a senior … helped Lamar to an 11-2 overall record, including a 6-1 district mark, and an appearance in the 6A Division 1 regional playoffs that year

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:13 AM, LTtxfan said:

Sure like his attitude on the field - great size and arm length which will help in red zone area.  Appears to have good hands, and runs routes well for size.  Good speed, still a lot of room to improve his game.  Practicing and playing against better DBs will be great for him --  really needs to improve ball security.

Excited about this guy. Watching this he seems to have elite jump ball / contested catch ability using his size and ball skills. Also got behind the defense quite a bit although I guess it's hard to say how that speed will translate to P5 opponents.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Excited about this guy. Watching this he seems to have elite jump ball / contested catch ability using his size and ball skills. Also got behind the defense quite a bit although I guess it's hard to say how that speed will translate to P5 opponents.

Neyor...

FJqq4dTXMAYB9IR?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

How does a guy of that size, clear athletic ability, and supposed speed end up a two star out of high school?

ByMIKE ROACH Jan 20, 11:49 AM

Coach's Take: Longhorns getting a high ceiling in Isaiah Neyor

Texas struck gold in the portal today landing Wyoming's Isaiah Neyor.

Neyor went off last season for the Cowboys accumulating 44 catches for 878 yards and 12 touchdowns. What does he bring to Austin? A skillset unlike anything currently on the roster. With a huge frame at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, Neyor can stretch the field vertically and has the ball skills to be an elite aerial threat. Neyor can also utilize surprising quickness for his size to take a screen pass for a big gain.

How did a player of his ability slip through the cracks and end up at Wyoming? Neyor didn't really see the field until late in his high school career at Arlington Lamar. His former head coach Laban DeLay was at Lamar when Neyor transferred in. He told 247Sports that the transfer rules in Texas kept him under the radar.

“He got overlooked,” DeLay said. “He came to us from a charter school in Arlington. He moved down from Minnesota, and then, whenever he came to Arlington, he didn’t come to my high school immediately. So whenever he did come to me, at the end of his sophomore year, he had to wait 365 (days).

“Our (University Interscholarstic League) rules say that you’re not eligible for varsity competition unless you’ve been in attendance in that school for one calendar year, so he actually played JV for us as a junior. … But, obviously, you can imagine he tore up every JV (team) that we played, along with our varsity defense as a scout-team player.

“And then his senior year we just had limited film on him, and then we also had Trevon West, who’s at (Oklahoma) right now. And then we had another wideout, (Stephen F. Austin freshman) Cam Brady.

“He got overlooked a little bit. But whenever Wyoming came through, I told Coach (Mike) Bath, I said, ‘People are overlooking this guy, and he’s a diamond in the rough.’ Wyoming took the chance, and the rest is kind of history now.”

DeLay has seen his fair share of talent during his coaching career. With former players such as Shane Buechele (Texas/SMU), Chris Owens (Alabama) and Bobby Brown (Texas A&M) on his resume, DeLay said he sees an enormous ceiling for Neyor's development.

“He’s a big target,” said DeLay, who’s now the head coach at South Grand Prairie (Texas) High School. “He can run. Wyoming, from my understanding, they have had a really good strength and conditioning program, so Isaiah came over to my house a couple weeks ago, and you can tell that he’s thickened up. He’s increased his speed. He’s always been able to jump out of the gym. He’s always had a really good vertical, so I think that the potential for him to grow is still there.

“And I think that’s probably one reason why he went into the portal, is that Wyoming’s offense wasn’t really — his dream is to go to the NFL, or to have a shot. And Wyoming, that type of offense wasn’t really going to give him the opportunity to grow like that.

“As he was looking around, that’s one thing that he really considered, is who the wide receiver coaches are and what type of system, and what type of history or success that system has had.

“I still think that there’s a lot of potential and a lot of upside for Isaiah still.”

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Neyor...

FJqq4dTXMAYB9IR?format=jpg&name=large

That was probably the best one but he had a lot of contested / jump ball catches in that video and very few that he didn't come down with (assuming they really did include everything). In other words, that one did not seem like a fluke at all. 

36 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

That was probably the best one but he had a lot of contested / jump ball catches in that video and very few that he didn't come down with (assuming they really did include everything). In other words, that one did not seem like a fluke at all. 

His ability to track the ball in the air, adjust and catch over both shoulder is really damn good. I don't think there's any doubt he's an elite deep threat with his size, speed nd catching ability. The exciting part to me is he has 2-3 years left, and I think he has a lot of untapped potential on short and intermediate routes. He makes extremely good cuts in his routes for a guy his size, he just didn't get a lot of reps on the shorter routes at Wyoming because they didn't pass much and he was used as a field stretcher.

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Which one of you psychos did this?

I'd say this tweet's methodology is, uh, questionable, but Neyor absolutely has plus speed for the college level. He's a very long strider, and those guys tend to look slower on film than they actually are. He covers a ridiculous amount of field with every stride when he's at a full  sprint.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

ByMIKE ROACH Jan 20, 11:49 AM

Coach's Take: Longhorns getting a high ceiling in Isaiah Neyor

Our (University Interscholarstic League) rules say that you’re not eligible for varsity competition unless you’ve been in attendance in that school for one calendar year, so he actually played JV for us as a junior. … But, obviously, you can imagine he tore up every JV (team) that we played, along with our varsity defense as a scout-team player."

Is this new to the UIL now? It's been over 25+ years since I played high school sports, but I don't remember that ever being an issue.  We had transfers and even a foreign exchange student play for us in high school and that was never an issue. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Surly hot take-  “Yea but someone needs to work on his awful habit of dropping the ball immediately after he catches it!”

Yep. Must maintain possession while completing a "football move." Of course, we're all still trying to figure out just what that actually means.  

• Haha 1

Great thing going for Neyor is that he can benefit off not having to be the man.  He can at least start off enjoying the lack of over the top attention he should benefit from with Worthy lining up opposite.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, SDG said:

Popped up on my YT suggestions and it’s the off-season so gotta pass the time.

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

One of my favorite YouTube channels. No one breaks it down like him. Dude is a former Cornell QB, seems to love UT for some reason. 

Gary Busey’s grandson loves hims some’s Texas football!

Grandpa was born in Baytown and grandson has a bay’s worth of spittle in his mouth that he’s trying to keep from flying as he salivates over “[his] man”, Isaiah Neyor.

Neyor is going to be a lot of fun to watch!

Edited by Napoleon

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm not sure who would know, but is Neyor able to use a medical redshirt for this year? how many more does he have to play? asking for no reason at all.

Neyor was class of 2019.  He RS'd in 2019.  2020 doesn't count.  Played in 2021.  Could use Medical for 2022.  So 3 years of eligibility left?  But realistically, if he has a good season, he'll be gone. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Biggest loss to the offense this season. He would have allowed Worthy to play more in the slot which is likely his best position.

I'm not so sure about that. He's the type you want to move around a la Smith at bama. He's just not a deep ball threat, which seems really hard to fathom and will ultimately cost him money in the draft

Those bad knee injuries almost always take 1 year to be back but 2 years to be back at pre injury performance levels. Not sure what to expect from him next season. 
If we want to be optimistic, it happened in August, not during the season. He will have a full year of rehab before he sees jerseys of a different color, so barring reinjury he should be close to firing on all cylinders by late October, early November. We still need another guy with similar skills from the portal though, and that's regardless of Worthy remaining in ATX or not.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What do you think the slot does?

Lines up consistently in the middle of a 3 WR set? Defeating the whole point of lining him up at any WR spot to get favorable matchups like last night so he can streak down the seem and (not) catch wide open passes? Or do slot receivers not run go routes in your opinion? 

Not sure what you're getting at...

34 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Lines up consistently in the middle of a 3 WR set? Defeating the whole point of lining him up at any WR spot to get favorable matchups like last night so he can streak down the seem and (not) catch wide open passes? Or do slot receivers not run go routes in your opinion? 

Not sure what you're getting at...

That Worthy is not a guy that consistently wins on the outside. Put him in the slot and move him around with motion and the jet sweep action to find the favorable matchups. If Neyor is healthy, he's the guy you put outside to take the 50/50 deep shots with.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 12/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, TheMailBox357 said:
According to Gerry Hamilton on this afternoon's IT livestream, Margin Hooks told him Neyor is about to running & working out again.

Gerry on Livestream yesterday:  Hooks says Neyor probably a little ahead of schedule, but Hooks wants Neyor to drop his weight down to around 205 lbs (currently around 216 lbs).

• Hook 'Em 1