Houston for first time in a decade... With kids

Horny04

Kim Son? If someone I liked invited me out for dinner and then chose Kim Son, I’d decline the invitation. 

As for the San Jacinto question, the answer is no. Boring as shit. I lived by it and we did school tours to it every year and it was one of the least fun school days every year. 

20 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Are Truth and Pinkertons wait-in-line-longer- than- a- kid- can- handle type places like Franklins? Or more along the lines of Stiles Switch?

Stiles Switch lines is the perfect comparison. 

• Hook 'Em 1

@Horny04 Shameless Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo plug: 

- Check our NRG Arena. There’s a lot of stuff for youngsters to do. https://www.rodeohouston.com/Visit-the-Rodeo/Attractions-Activities/AGVENTURE

I will caution you that Breed Row Barn is, well a working barn.

There are many local vendors, and the Western artwork created by the kids are also pretty cool. 

I enjoyed this podcast about the history and mission of the HSLR. Includes a good George Strait story. https://www.stitcher.com/show/legends-of-the-old-west/episode/rodeohouston-1-the-mission-59242355

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:59 PM, zlavydra said:

Are Truth and Pinkertons wait-in-line-longer- than- a- kid- can- handle type places like Franklins? Or more along the lines of Stiles Switch?

On 1/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

They are both longer that this adult can handle.  I've done Blood Bros. a couple of times recently.  Manageable line and good 'cue.

I've never waited more than 10, maybe 15 minutes in line at Pinkertons, and it's usually under 5 minutes. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

I've never waited more than 10, maybe 15 minutes in line at Pinkertons, and it's usually under 5 minutes. 

But he runs the risk of not getting great BBQ as Pinkerton’s is just not consistent.

Username checks out. Blood Bros is nothing special and priced like room service at The Post Oak. 

I agree. It’s very good bbq, but no need to drive out to Belaire.

For real, got to J Bar M BBQ. It’s close to downtown, very nice spot, plenty of seating, TVs, bar and the line should be short (or non existent).

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

But he runs the risk of not getting great BBQ as Pinkerton’s is just not consistent.

For real, got to J Bar M BBQ. It’s close to downtown, very nice spot, plenty of seating, TVs, bar and the line should be short (or non existent).

I was just answering a direct question, sir. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Swayze, how close is J Bar M to a light rail stop? I'm trying to figure out some logistics for March.

One thing that has come about in Houston and started spreading around Texas since you left is Viet-Cajun good. Think crawfish boil x Vietnamese seasonings = incredible only can be made in America food. It’s crawfish season, and nothings better than gulf shrimp. You can get spicy or not. It’s now a true subcuisine that has been highlighted by David Chang and others.

One of the locals here might can direct you or just google Top Houston Viet-Cajun Restaurants”. A lot of kids would love the slow do it yourself meal of peeling crawfish or shrimp or crabs.

My first view of the ocean was Galveston and it’s changed a lot. Might be a good side trip. We went there after a visit to San Jacinto where I got a big lesson of my Texas heritage and got blowed away by the battleship Texas. I was 6.

• Hook 'Em 2

Crawfish and Noodles( near chinatown) is good.  Last time there, the service sucked and took forever to get seated.  They were short staffed just after the pandemic, so things have probably smoothed out.

If you don't want to go that far, there is an LA Crawfish at Richmond and Wesleyan.  Don't sleep on the Lemon Pepper wings.

Kau Ba in Montrose is a little more elevated than the other crawfish places, but the chef specializes in Viet-cajun food and it's a great place.  She's been on some cooking shows (Somebody Feed Phil and Ugly Delicious)

If you want Louisiana type crawfish, Boil House in the Heights is a friend's place and the best bugs in town (IMO).  They only have crawfish/Shrimp and your typical  add-ins.

The Boot in the Heights is good for crawfish as well as poboys and all things in between.  Lots of outdoor seating.  Parking is kind of a bitch though.

Looks like Pinkertons and Truth are both in the Heights or close to it.  That's an area of Houston I'm not really familiar with, but it looks like the kind of place where there could be record stores, interesting shops, etc.  Actually, I went to some metal shows at Fitzgeralds way, way back in the day. I suppose that's the extent of my experience in that part of town.

Looks like Pinkertons and Truth are both in the Heights or close to it.  That's an area of Houston I'm not really familiar with, but it looks like the kind of place where there could be record stores, interesting shops, etc.  Actually, I went to some metal shows at Fitzgeralds way, way back in the day. I suppose that's the extent of my experience in that part of town.

Truth, Vinal Edge, Teotihuacan.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Heights (along with Montrose) are the two areas that to me resemble Austin... you know, funky, big mish mash of this and that.  19th street is kind of like a smaller version of South Congress.  Lots of great places in the two areas.  

Also, go to St. Arnold's and have a beer while the kids hang out.  Other good kid friendly options are Cottonwood, FM Kitchen, Truck Yard (in the daytime), etc.  I also love Bungalow Heights which is next to Cedar Creek.  Euruka Heights nearby is cool with kids usually.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was truth last friday, noonish, maybe 12:30. that line flies by, except when the douche in front of you has 8 separate orders. we sat there for awhile talking, line stayed was at least to the door or out the door the whole time. it moves quick 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 1/22/2022 at 3:22 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Tex Mex: Teotihuacan

good food, but el tiempo and papasito's are much better. had some cheese enchiladas today from papasitos (san antonio) and they were damn near heavenly. their chile con carne sauce was damn near perfect.

el tiempo for fajitas and drinks. their crab quesadilla is damn good too

On 1/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, texasdago said:

Heights (along with Montrose) are the two areas that to me resemble Austin... you know, funky, big mish mash of this and that.  19th street is kind of like a smaller version of South Congress.  Lots of great places in the two areas.  

Also, go to St. Arnold's and have a beer while the kids hang out.  Other good kid friendly options are Cottonwood, FM Kitchen, Truck Yard (in the daytime), etc.  I also love Bungalow Heights which is next to Cedar Creek.  Euruka Heights nearby is cool with kids usually.

fm kitchen food is under rated 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

El T Fajita Wednesday for the win. If you hit it during happy hour the house margaritas are 5 bucks. It's possible to get out of there for under $60 for 2.

Pappasito's raised their Wednesday Fajita Night prices about $20 during Covid. Yeah, no thanks. 

we ordered papasitos take out yesterday for my moms bday, and damn it was delicious. like I said earlier, the cheese encuilada was damn near heavenly 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we ordered papasitos take out yesterday for my moms bday, and damn it was delicious. like I said earlier, the cheese encuilada was damn near heavenly 

Little Pappasito's is worth the drive. It's the best location by a fairly large margin. That said, their pork tamales aren't for me. 

50 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Papasitos is fine, but we have one in metro Atlanta. Looking for more Houston-specific recommendations. 

40 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Papasitos is fine, but we have one in metro Atlanta. Looking for more Houston-specific recommendations. 

Teotihuacan or El Tiempo 

#csb Teotihuacan is across the street from Pinkerton’s bbq. Teotihuacan queso flamado is damn good 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

The El Tiempo hate is mind blowing to me. Yes, it's expensive. It's also fucking awesome. And I say that as someone who also loves pappasitos fajitas.

For me it’s not hate. I just think there are better places that are also less expensive. Such as Teotihuacan. I would have suggested Lopez, but I assumed he is looking to stay inside the loop.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

For me it’s not hate. I just think there are better places that are also less expensive. Such as Teotihuacan. I would have suggested Lopez, but I assumed he is looking to stay inside the loop.

I mean, yes, there's plenty of good Mexican. Endless. And I like Teotihuacan plenty. But I just sorta view them as different experiences when I'm in the mood for different things. 

Hate to break it to you but Papasitos and possibly El Tiempo are on the list of must-go-tos for this trip.  Sorry, but too many good memories at those joints and we have nothing of the sort up here in new england.  I love me some papasito's fajitas and queso

Looks like we're gonna do the UT Baseball game at Minute Maid and I'm gonna try to get tickets to Rockets-Lakers.  Anyone with good seats they want to unload?

• 1 month later...
Hate to break it to you but Papasitos and possibly El Tiempo are on the list of must-go-tos for this trip.  Sorry, but too many good memories at those joints and we have nothing of the sort up here in new england.  I love me some papasito's fajitas and queso
Looks like we're gonna do the UT Baseball game at Minute Maid and I'm gonna try to get tickets to Rockets-Lakers.  Anyone with good seats they want to unload?

There you go. All the years we lived away when we came back it was places like El Fenix, Whataburger, and Luby’s we usually needed a fix.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:04 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Why you gotta mention Lopez?  Now I'm drooling all over my keyboard

• Like 1