Houston for first time in a decade... With kids

Horny04

Laredo is great, but I tried Brothers for the first time. It was great. Pictured are potato and egg, potato and chorizo and picadillo.

Went to J Bar M last night around 7:30 and they were out of brisket, turkey and jalapeño sausage, the three meats my wife and I wanted. So we left and are returning in a few minutes for lunch. I called to confirm the meat was available. 19849f046d7306237101bf4515c7f59e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Kemah Boardwalk v. Children's Museum for a 9-year old.  She loved the Musuem last time, but she was 6, and I'm thinking she might be a little old for it this time. Definitely going to the Natural Science Museum and the Space Center.  Is the Boardwalk plus Space Center too much for one day?

4 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Kemah Boardwalk v. Children's Museum for a 9-year old.  She loved the Musuem last time, but she was 6, and I'm thinking she might be a little old for it this time. Definitely going to the Natural Science Museum and the Space Center.  Is the Boardwalk plus Space Center too much for one day?

I think you could comfortably do both. Proximity, and I doubt you’ll want to spend a half day on the Boardwalk. Two hours tops. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, zlavydra said:

I’d be interested in hearing about what you guys did and how it went. I stopped taking our kids to the Children’s Museum when they cleared 6 years old and have no regrets. We take them down to the boardwalk every 6 months or so and they never want to leave. I can only stomach Aquarium or Bubba Gump Shrimp twice a year or less, so that’s our limit. Helps that my folks are down there and they meet up so we knock that out as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, tx ind said:

If you go to NASA don’t go all the way to the boardwalk for lunch, go to Tookies for a burger.

I missed this rec at first, but I just checked out the menu.  Sounds like just what I'm looking for and a great way to avoid the Boardwalk food.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, closetojumping said:

I’d be interested in hearing about what you guys did and how it went. I stopped taking our kids to the Children’s Museum when they cleared 6 years old and have no regrets. We take them down to the boardwalk every 6 months or so and they never want to leave. I can only stomach Aquarium or Bubba Gump Shrimp twice a year or less, so that’s our limit. Helps that my folks are down there and they meet up so we knock that out as well. 

We had a great time.  Stayed at the Omni near the Galleria, which has a pretty sweet pool and fine scenery.  The Space Center and Kemah made for a fairly long day, but I'm glad we did it because the boardwalk was probably the highlight for my 9-year-old.  One interesting and unexpected moment was seeing the gigantic refinery on 225 (?) between Pasadena and 610.  I'd never been over that way.

Food-wise, the highlights were J-Bar-M (thanks to Swayze), Tookies (awesome burgers), Caracol, and a place in the Heights called Alice Blue for brunch.  Also had excellent breakfast focaccia and pastries at La Sicilia at Westheimer and Montrose.  On the other hand, if anyone ever recommends French Riviera for breakfast, politely tell them that zlavydra says it sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 6:40 PM, zlavydra said:

We had a great time.  Stayed at the Omni near the Galleria, which has a pretty sweet pool and fine scenery.  The Space Center and Kemah made for a fairly long day, but I'm glad we did it because the boardwalk was probably the highlight for my 9-year-old.  One interesting and unexpected moment was seeing the gigantic refinery on 225 (?) between Pasadena and 610.  I'd never been over that way.

Food-wise, the highlights were J-Bar-M (thanks to Swayze), Tookies (awesome burgers), Caracol, and a place in the Heights called Alice Blue for brunch.  Also had excellent breakfast focaccia and pastries at La Sicilia at Westheimer and Montrose.  On the other hand, if anyone ever recommends French Riviera for breakfast, politely tell them that zlavydra says it sucks.

black swan bar ?

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

black swan bar ?

Didn't partake of the Black Swan Bar with our 9-year-old, but the whiskey bar looked pretty cool.  We did see the actual black swans with two cygnets frolicking in their space next to the pool, however.

Also, totally unrelated to the hotel, the Rameses exhibit at the Museum of Natural History is highly recommended.  

• Hook 'Em 1