Wired Home Security System - Make it smart and self monitoring?

dcbc

I've got a 10 year old wired security system with wired smoke alarms at the house.  Two key pads, motion sensor, door sensors, and smoke alarms.  Switched to cellular monitoring when we dropped the land line and pay about $42 per month for the monitoring.  Contacted them today to ask about internet monitoring to see if I could save a few bucks. 

Meanwhile, does anyone know if there is a setup where I can replace the Cellular transmitter with a box that communicates with my wifi, which will turn this into a smart system that will alert me, my wife (no pics), and whomever else we might have on the list on our cell phones through an app when the alarm goes off.

I'm struck by the fact that whenever my alarm goes off, I'm contacted by a person in the call center, who asks me if everything is okay.  For what I'm paying, I could buy a few more cameras and make that determination myself, then call 9-1-1 if need be.  All I need is for my system to alert me that there's an alarm.

I realize there are stand alone smart systems out there, but I'm already wired up with a loud siren, etc.  I just need to have the system alert me directly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve looked for this a while back and I saw where it’s been done (extremely custom hardware and programming required) but there is no out of the box solution that I’m aware of.  The only thing that’s close to this IIRC was ADT pulse? Or something like that where you could use your sensors for smart home purposes (if door is opened turn on light, if window is opened turn on alarm, etc...etc) but obviously ADT is getting paid for this since you had to keep them for monitoring (some of this may have changed, it’s been over a year since I looked into this).

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, RPM said:

Konnected alarm kit makes your old home security system smart

This article has several options

Thanks for the links.

https://konnected.io/ was supposed to be out in February and they are still only taking preorders.  This will be interesting to see how it works with Joe Q Public since it could be a true out of the box solution.

The other article doesn’t really mention any options.  It talks about SmartThing and HomeSeer in the abstract but doesn’t explain that it will take custom equipment and programming to make it work like I mentioned above (unless I’m missing something).

Yep.  Alarm monitoring produces little for the homeowner.  Mainly peace of mind.  Even their commercials are weak.  Young mother puts on the alarm during the day And makes lunch while the little one is sleeping.  Bad guy breaks the window but runs off while the alarm sounds.   She runs into the bedroom all while the adt person assures her the police are on the way.

of course the alarm itself has already scared off the guy and she could have easily dialed 911 herself.  What exactly is ADT offering as the service?   And wouldn’t you want to speak to 911 yourself.    And the 911 operator will stay on the phone with you too.  Your tax dollars are already paying her salary.

I stopped having the alarm monitored over a decade ago and never looked back.    Figure I must have 4-5K in my pocket with that move.  I did try to find an alarm company that would charge me only by the times the alarm went off.  $10, $20 each.  Even for false alarms.  That service doesn’t exist.

• 2 weeks later...