Plumbing Help

M12BH

OK, a few weeks ago we started smelling sewage in our master bedroom WC.  The toilet is just in a little cubby with a door that closes so we know that's where it's coming from.  Had the handyman replace the wax seal, fucked around with Roto Rooter who couldn't get their shit together to have the right person come out, then had Reliant Plumbing do a smoke test.  Nada.  It still smells.  IT STILL SMELLS!  So, husband is thinking about replacing the whole fucking toilet but I don't want to be throwing good money after bad so I thought I'd come to the repository of all knowledge.

Go.

OK, a few weeks ago we started smelling sewage in our master bedroom WC.  The toilet is just in a little cubby with a door that closes so we know that's where it's coming from.  Had the handyman replace the wax seal, fucked around with Roto Rooter who couldn't get their shit together to have the right person come out, then had Reliant Plumbing do a smoke test.  Nada.  It still smells.  IT STILL SMELLS!  So, husband is thinking about replacing the whole fucking toilet but I don't want to be throwing good money after bad so I thought I'd come to the repository of all knowledge.
Go.
Unless there is something up with the toilet where it won't seal to the wax ring, I suspect it has nothing to do with the issue. Where you at so someone can recommend a plumber who knows what he (/she lol) is doing?
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
36 minutes ago, M12BH said:
Go.

Unless there is something up with the toilet where it won't seal to the wax ring, I suspect it has nothing to do with the issue. Where you at so someone can recommend a plumber who knows what he (/she lol) is doing?

Austin, Texas baybee.  Yeah I'd like a rec for a plumber who knows his ass from a hole in the ground.  

19 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I think the wax seal failed originally and the handyman didn't install the replacement correctly or used the wrong thickness.  My bet is on wax seal issue.

That's pretty much what Plumber the Second said, but it was pay him $500 to redo the wax seal or $1,200 to do the smoke test. Maybe we made the wrong choice.  Would the smoke test have shown a leak around the wax seal if there had been one?

4 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
4 hours ago, M12BH said:
Go.

That's correct. The vent is the first place I would look.

19 minutes ago, M12BH said:

That's pretty much what Plumber the Second said, but it was pay him $500 to redo the wax seal or $1,200 to do the smoke test. Maybe we made the wrong choice.  Would the smoke test have shown a leak around the wax seal if there had been one?

Smoke test would show leak, but seems like overkill.  If the plumber didn't think or mention a stack block I would go back to replacing the ring.  A blocked stack will usually show other signs that I would think a plumber would pick up on - lower water levels, continually running toilet, water gurgles/bubbles, slow drain speeds etc.

OK so I'm hearing a lot of chatter hear about a clogged vent.  But all the vents were pouring smoke during the smoke test so seems like it's not the vent.  I mean, this handyman has always done good work so I'd be surprised if he fucked up when he redid the seal but I guess it's possible.  I just hate to pay to re-replace the seal and then still have the odor.  At some point it was decided that they'd run a camera down there to see if they can find a crack or something, guess I should follow up on this.  I'm trying to stay in the loop remotely while I'm moving my elderly parents into a new apartment in Houston.  Shit never ends.  Thanks for y'all's help. 

It's almost never a clogged vent stack. It's almost certainly something to do with the toilet seal, either wax ring, cracked flange/pipe, something like that.

Is the bathroom on first or second floor? Slab or pier and beam?

2 hours ago, Paco said:

It's almost never a clogged vent stack. It's almost certainly something to do with the toilet seal, either wax ring, cracked flange/pipe, something like that.

Is the bathroom on first or second floor? Slab or pier and beam?

First floor, slab. The slab is about 13 years old, poured during a remodel.  We had to have the old foundation leveled 6 years ago, don't know if that matters at all.  

On 1/21/2022 at 1:02 PM, M12BH said:

You should be able to replace the wax seal yourself for much cheaper.  I'm probably the least competent person on this board when it comes to fixing things, and I was able to do this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

You should be able to replace the wax seal yourself for much cheaper.  I'm probably the least competent person on this board when it comes to fixing things, and I was able to do this.

He's right, he is the least competent person on this board

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I studied this a bunch when we were redoing the floors and had to replace all the wax rings after.  Those "better than wax" seals, at the time, had a horrible reputation for lasting about a year, then giving issues.    Wax ring would be my recommendation for replacement.  Would be my guess for your issue too,  We just had one go out for first time upstairs, 8 years old.  Seems like it should have lasted longer but it fixed the issue immediately.  

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This. There was an issue with the wax seal in my son's bathroom. I picked up a new wax seal and told him to replace it and re-caulck the toilet. He did a fine job and was 16 years old. It's an extremely easy task.

Piggybacking on this thread (sorry OP) for a quick bit of advice from any plumbers or surly handypersons....

Wife accidentally dropped a cloth diaper in the toilet bowl while the toilet was flushing and it disappeared down the pipe. I tried to snag it with my hand and a coat hanger with no luck but there does not seem to be a clog. Yet. What should I do now? The toilet is flushing normally but I don't know if it's temporary or if the diaper has already made it down into the main sewer line. 

Edited by Gourmand

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Piggybacking on this thread (sorry OP) for a quick bit of advice from any plumbers or surly handypersons....

Wife accidentally dropped a cloth diaper in the toilet bowl while the toilet was flushing and it disappeared down the pipe. I tried to snag it with my hand and a coat hanger with no luck but there does not seem to be a clog. Yet. What should I do now? The toilet is flushing normally but I don't know if it's temporary or if the diaper has already made it down into the main sewer line. 

Nothing? Either there is no issue, or the issue will present itself very shortly and then you call the rooter rooter.  I would also keep a close eye on the washing machine and the dishwasher for a few days, everything else should be noticeable if it starts backing up.

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:

Nothing? Either there is no issue, or the issue will present itself very shortly and then you call the rooter rooter.  I would also keep a close eye on the washing machine and the dishwasher for a few days, everything else should be noticeable if it starts backing up.

Yes, that is my worry. Very nervous about that, but the toilet flushes normally and the bathtub in that bathroom drained as well.