2022 NBA Draft

Mitch Cumsteen

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

did Hollinger already release the preamble to his rankings some times ago? because i remember having read all of that part already.

also, damn- he's really dampened my view on Holmgren with his analysis. to this point i've felt like Jabari and Ivey would be the two guys i'd take ahead of him, but now he's got me looking at Banchero and even some of the wing players as safer bets. good stuff there.

I'm a little more on board with Paolo (for Houston) after he supposedly measured in at 6'10.25-6'10.5 in socks, which means he can potentially close games as a small ball five, with two big wings next two him 

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll laugh if Okie City takes Ivey at #2.  They very well may.  Does anyone here think Ivey doesn't have the biggest potential upside of anyone in this draft?  I don't.

Most NBA/draft guys seem to think that Chet has the highest potential 

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll laugh if Okie City takes Ivey at #2.  They very well may.  Does anyone here think Ivey doesn't have the biggest potential upside of anyone in this draft?  I don't.

I think the big 3 all have more potential / higher ceiling than Ivey (not by a lot) but that Ivey has a significantly higher floor than Paolo and Chet (and similar to Jabari). I have a really hard time not seeing Ivey be at least very good, but I can see both Paolo and Chet being mediocre. I agree that it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Thunder take Ivey but not necessarily because he has more upside.

3 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I think the big 3 all have more potential / higher ceiling than Ivey (not by a lot) but that Ivey has a significantly higher floor than Paolo and Chet (and similar to Jabari). I have a really hard time not seeing Ivey be at least very good, but I can see both Paolo and Chet being mediocre. I agree that it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Thunder take Ivey but not necessarily because he has more upside.

Agreed about the floor.  I think Jabari and Ivey would start as rookies and be good immediately but I think Ivey has more upside between the two.  Chet could be injury prone, although he never has been before, and Paolo seems to suck at defense.  Okie City needs a big guy but they also have #12 and are supposedly looking to trade into the 6-8 range.  Maybe they think they could get some bigs there.

Dort has actually played himself in a solid two way player.  Very good on defense and now solid on offense.  Poor man's Jimmy Butler and only 23.  Not sure how he'd fit in with the Kings, though.  He's still on a dirt cheap rookie deal, too.  There are good players in this draft down to the 15 mark so they'd still get someone solid at 12.

OKC would do that because he's an unrestricted free agent and I assume they'd take Ivey.  Sacramento should just take Ivey but they're Sacramento so who knows?

Trade kinda works for both teams oddly enough.

I think Banchero has the highest floor in the draft. Bigs with his offensive ability are rare. His problem is that he has a long way to go on the other side, and will likely be going to an organization that needs to completely clean out its coaching and development personnel. 

I'll go with Jabari as the highest floor. Worst case scenario, he's a better defending Rashard Lewis since he's an elite shooter at a good side whose switchable on defense and plays hard, which is a 10-15 year NBA starter 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's hard to know what Okie City is doing because they don't leak but I wouldn't be surprised if they straight up took Ivey at #2.  They'd then trade up with #12 and some asset or future picks into the 6-10 range and take a big guy there.  It'd be balls if they traded into #4.  Take Ivey at #2, force Houston to choose between Chet or Banchero and then at #4, take the one they don't pick.

If they truly think Ivey is better than Chet or Banchero, they'll take Ivey.

I still think they take Chet and trade up from #12, though.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Pretty lofty.  Healthy Kawhi is probably a top 25 all time player.

i think it was @aggie08 who said that prime Kawhi was actually a better player than Kobe, and i agree with that. had Kawhi not spent so much time injured/fighting his FO, he could have easily been an all time great player. one of the best all around defenders ever, and just a straight up cold blooded assassin when it comes to winning time. if Jabari Smith ever becomes 80% of peak Kawhi he'll be a 10x all star and a HOFer.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Fud said:

Curious if the Nets can make anything happen there. I think Hayward still has value as a guy leading a second unit and closing out games he's a favorable matchup in. The Nets could also use any of Mark Williams, Agbaji, or Eason who are projected to be available at the Hornets' spots. Maybe send them Patty Mills, Joe Harris, and a future protected pick? Blazers maybe interested too, depending on how much they think Hayward has left in the tank.

Edited by Llogg

36 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Vegas wrong?  Or Woj?

There's some wiggle room there, since he didn't explicitly tie to the pick to the team. Meaning, if Houston trades up to #1 to take Paolo, Woj is still arguably correct