2022 NBA Draft

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, Fud said:

He'd have to dominate workouts, I think. I'm assuming he goes #5 after the top four are gone, but it only takes one team

His scouting report reads a bit like Jalen Green's did

The Green comparisons seems valid.  They’ll say Sharps hasn’t played enough but the draft class last year didn’t play much, either.  Green played like 15 G League games or something and the college guys didn’t play much more.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:19 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

This might be an interesting plot line:

If this pans out, how GM's would have the balls to take him over the presumed top 3?  Dude hasn't played in two years and that was HS/AAU and that was some bastardized COVID set up.  Sam Presti would do it.  (I doubt he'd take him over Jabari Smith, though.)  He'd actually fit with Okie City, assuming Giddey would defend the 4.  (Big stretch, there.)   

If he projects that well, it'll put him in the 4 or 5 slot with Ivey, I would assume.

i hate statements like this. you could say this about like 8-15 in any draft in any sport in any year. this just in: gm's often have no idea what they're doing. more at 11. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i hate statements like this. you could say this about like 8-15 in any draft in any sport in any year. this just in: gm's often have no idea what they're doing. more at 11. 

It works for Sharpe more than other typical prospects

On 3/30/2022 at 8:19 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

This might be an interesting plot line:

If this pans out, how GM's would have the balls to take him over the presumed top 3?  Dude hasn't played in two years and that was HS/AAU and that was some bastardized COVID set up.  Sam Presti would do it.  (I doubt he'd take him over Jabari Smith, though.)  He'd actually fit with Okie City, assuming Giddey would defend the 4.  (Big stretch, there.)   

If he projects that well, it'll put him in the 4 or 5 slot with Ivey, I would assume.

Dude's just fishing for clicks and isn't really saying anything of substance there. Taking Sharpe first could be a fireable offense if he busts. Especially with fairly safe bets like Jabari and Paolo towards the top. 

12 hours ago, Fud said:

It works for Sharpe more than other typical prospects

I guess. There's guys like Sharpe in almost every draft. I mean I don't know what you mean by "typical". All of these guys are freaks and supposed to go top 5 for a reason. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude's just fishing for clicks and isn't really saying anything of substance there. Taking Sharpe first could be a fireable offense if he busts. Especially with fairly safe bets like Jabari and Paolo towards the top. 

I guess. There's guys like Sharpe in almost every draft. I mean I don't know what you mean by "typical". All of these guys are freaks and supposed to go top 5 for a reason. 

Sharpe hasn’t played this year. Typical players play the year before they enter the draft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

like i said, i hate statements like that, because he isn't actually saying anything of substance yet he's acting like he's going out on some limb. "i could conceive of a world where up to one of these notoriously idiotic billionaire owners thinks that Player A is the best in the draft." really?!? no way!?!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

like i said, i hate statements like that, because he isn't actually saying anything of substance yet he's acting like he's going out on some limb. "i could conceive of a world where up to one of these notoriously idiotic billionaire owners thinks that Player A is the best in the draft." really?!? no way!?!

Well, it sounds stupid when you say it like THAT.

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Caleb Love is a 6’4 two guard with ok athleticism by pro standards who shot 31/26/80 last year and 37/37/86 this year.  So, I’m going to disagree.

good improvement. He's not on any (overhyped) draft board but he's got major game, intelligence and confidence. I'm a believer. 

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Can someone explain Banchero to me as a top pick? Every time I watch this dude, he looks like microwaved dog shit.

he's 6'10", 250 lbs, physically developed like a fifth year pro, he's a plus athlete (particularly his agility for his size) and he's a "five tool" player to borrow a term from baseball. oh and he's only 19 years old. he looks like a player who could eventually have zero weaknesses. i wouldn't take him first overall, but as a top 5 pick he seems to be a super safe pick with a very high floor. the way he moves at his size, he will be a terror in the NBA if/when he really learns to shoot.

I think the most telling thing about Banchero to me is that in a tight Final Four game against a hated rival, Duke was not working to get him the ball either in isolation or post-ups. Seems like the top pick in the draft ought to at least be the clear alpha on his college team. He also gave almost no effort on defense. I know one game is not the whole story, but this particular game was one you expect true stars to seize the moment.

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I think the most telling thing about Banchero to me is that in a tight Final Four game against a hated rival, Duke was not working to get him the ball either in isolation or post-ups. Seems like the top pick in the draft ought to at least be the clear alpha on his college team. He also gave almost no effort on defense. I know one game is not the whole story, but this particular game was one you expect true stars to seize the moment.

I think there may be some questions about his motor and want to on defense, but I have a difficult time faulting big men in college for not being more active on offense in general just because of the floor spacing and style of the college game. It's so much easier for the ball handlers to dominate and for the bigs to get lost. But the thing about Banchero that is truly unique and should be much easier to tap into in the pro game is his ability to create his own shot either on the post or the perimeter and he's a very good passer, unusually so off the dribble for a guy his size. So that's the lure with him - big bodied dude who should be able to take advantage of mismatches and can create offense out of nothing for both himself and his teammates. Give him some development time to really get his three point shooting going - he's already pretty good, there's no reason he can't be a true 3 point threat - and you've got a really unique skill set for a guy his size. 

he really is huge for a guy who moves so nimbly. or he's very nimble for a guy so huge. either way. he's not an uber explosive leaper like Zion, but he moves really well for a guy his size. he's bigger than Calais Campbell but he moves like a WR or RB. with the faster pace and better spacing in the NBA, Banchero has a really high floor, with a perennial all star ceiling. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

I think the most telling thing about Banchero to me is that in a tight Final Four game against a hated rival, Duke was not working to get him the ball either in isolation or post-ups.

They did that a ton in the 2nd half. He finished with 20 and 10. They went away from it a bit at the very end for whatever reason. 

They also have a crazy amount of talent - it isn't like Paolo is Bird at Indiana State. 

I didn't see anything against UNC that wouldn't raise his draft stock. 

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

did you guys not watch any of duke's tournament games outside of last night?  banchero took (and hit) big shot after big shot all throughout their run.  he's not #1 on my board, but i'm definitely more impressed with him after watching his tournament run.

No, and that’s why I’m asking. The games I’ve seen, he sucks. Questionable shit selection, horrendous defense, and little to no game management competency. But for those of you who actually watch college basketball, if you tell me his game will translate to the NBA, I believe you. 

Banchero is potentially a guy you can very successfully run your offense through because he’s an excellent passer and can score at volume and at efficiency, ala Luka, Cade, Joker, etc 

He can’t guard perimeter players though, so you’re banking on his offensive value making him a large net positive. The defensive concerns are why he’s not an elite-elite prospect 

49 minutes ago, Kermit said:

No, and that’s why I’m asking. The games I’ve seen, he sucks. Questionable shit selection, horrendous defense, and little to no game management competency. But for those of you who actually watch college basketball, if you tell me his game will translate to the NBA, I believe you. 

Duke had five potential NBA first rounders and another future NBA player in Roach. Their offense had a lot of too many cooks in the kitchen with spacing issues 

I thought he was mostly brilliant offensively in the tournament 

Defense is another story. He got toasted by non-prospect perimeter players whenever he got switched onto them. I think he just doesn’t have lateral foot-speed for it, but he’s pretty explosive going forward 

Thru April 5th...

2022 NBA Draft Lottery Simulator

PICK       REC      PCT    GB     TOP 4   #1 OVR

HOU    20-60   .250     --     52.1%      14.0%

ORL     21-59     .262    1.0   52.1%      14.0%

DET     23-56     .291   3.5   52.1%      14.0%

OKC    24-55     .304   4.5   48.1%      12.5%

IND     25-55      .312   5.0   42.1%      10.5%

POR    27-52      .342   7.5    37.2%       9.0%

SAC    29-51      .362   9.0    31.9%       7.5%

LAL     31-48     .392   11.5    26.3%      6.0%  *  (New Orleans)

SA       34-45.   .430   14.5   20.3%      4.5%

10 WAS   35-44    .443  15.5   10.3%       2.2%

-    NY     35-44.   .443   15.5   10.3%      2.2%

-    NO    35-44     .443   15.5    9.9%      2.1%  **  (Portland)

13  CHA  40-39    .506    20.5   4.8%       1.0%

14  ATL   41-38     .519     21.5   2.4%       0.5%

END OF LOTTERY

New Orleans owns Lakers 1st Rd Pick

** Portland owns Pelicans 1st Rd  Pick

• 2 weeks later...

Both LA teams in Lottery, but don't own their Lottery picks... 😂😂😂😂😂😂

2022 NBA DRAFT LOTTERY

TEAM   REC        PCT    GB    TOP 4    #1 OVR

1  HOU  20-62    .244    --      52.1%      14.0%

2  ORL  22-60     .268    2.0    52.1%      14.0%

3  DET  23-59     .280    3.0    52.1%      14.0%

4  OKC  24-58.    .293    4.0    48.1%      12.5%

5  IND   25-57      .305.   5.0    42.1%.     10.5%

6  POR  27-55      .329    7.0     37.2%      9.0%

7  SAC  30-52      .366   10.0    32.0%.    7.5%

8  LAL   33-49     .402    13.0    26.3%.   6.0%    * (New Orleans)

9  SA    34-48.     .415     14.0    20.3%    4.5%

10 WAS  35-47    .427     15.0    13.9%     3.0%

11   NY   37-45     .451     17.0       9.4%    2.0%

12  LAC  42-40    .512     22.0      7.1%      1.5%     ** (OKC) 

13  CHA 43-39.   .524     23.0      4.8%     1.0%

14  CLE 44-38     .537     24.0      2.4%   . 0.5%

New Orleans owns Lakers 1st Rd Pick

** OKC owns Clippers 1st Rd  Pick

Cross posting:

With Kawhi being Kawhi this season, I always thought the Clipper pick would be good but not great.  Then PG went down and I assumed it would be an easy lottery pick.  They balled out, though.  Played hard, made a bunch of comebacks, and won some games they shouldn't have won.  I had written it off.  They were the 8 seed and should have won both game but Minny beat them at home and PG got the covid.  Even if the Clipper pick isn't top 4, it's likely at 12 and it was at 15 without the play in games.  That'd a big difference in some draft classes.

If the covid gets them the #1 pick or something, it has to rank up there with however the fuck the Lakers got the #1 pick to draft Magic.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Cross posting:

With Kawhi being Kawhi this season, I always thought the Clipper pick would be good but not great.  Then PG went down and I assumed it would be an easy lottery pick.  They balled out, though.  Played hard, made a bunch of comebacks, and won some games they shouldn't have won.  I had written it off.  They were the 8 seed and should have won both game but Minny beat them at home and PG got the covid.  Even if the Clipper pick isn't top 4, it's likely at 12 and it was at 15 without the play in games.  That'd a big difference in some draft classes.

If the covid gets them the #1 pick or something, it has to rank up there with however the fuck the Lakers got the #1 pick to draft Magic.

Not much will top the Kyrie trade.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/5/18/2177310/kyrie-irving-cavaliers-clippers-nba-draft-2011

The Cleveland Cavaliers won the No. 1 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft with the selection acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers in the Mo Williams-Baron Davis trade. So essentially, the Clippers traded Baron Davis and Kyrie Irving for Mo Williams.

Now there's some butterfly effect shenanigans there -- the Clippers' GM immediately covered his tail by pointing out that without Williams, the Clippers wouldn't have gone 11-11 to finish the season and landed the particular lottery combination that won the whole shebang. He also insisted that Cleveland would not have done the deal if the Clippers protected the pick, which means to lose Davis' $28 million salary over the next two years, L.A. had to give up its pick.

That still doesn't excuse the trade.

• Haha 1

I keep forgetting that New Orleans owns the Laker pick.  Depending on what Zion does or doesn't do over the next few years, that could be relevant.  Had the lost last night, they'd have their pick in the lottery, too, and depending on how that would have gone, they could have a top pick with Ingram and Zion.  

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I keep forgetting that New Orleans owns the Laker pick.  Depending on what Zion does or doesn't do over the next few years, that could be relevant.  Had the lost last night, they'd have their pick in the lottery, too, and depending on how that would have gone, they could have a top pick with Ingram and Zion.  

Pretty sure Portland got the Pels pick in the CJ McCollom trade? Maybe top 4 protected, but I'm not even sure about that. 

27 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Now that Zion is "supposedly healtIy", I hope New Orleans trades him.  His physical problems remind me of a similar trajectory to Greg Oden's career.

Spoiler

Greg Oden was selected 1st overall by the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2007 NBA Draft, but was plagued with knee injuries and retired after 7 seasons

I was wondering why on Tankathon that the Pelicans' pick is now going to Charlotte instead of Portland...I think (but not sure) that the 2025 pick is one the Bucks owe to NOLA for the Jrue trade.

https://pelicandebrief.com/2022/04/15/cj-mccollum-pelicans-trail-blazers/

As part of the McCollum trade, the Pelicans owe Portland a protected pick in the 2022 NBA Draft.

The Pels will have to send their own first rounder to Portland as long as it falls between 5 and 14 in the Draft.

But if they do make the playoffs, their pick would immediately fall outside of that range, which means they would send it to Charlotte to complete the Devonte’ Graham trade and send Portland Milwaukee’s 2025 pick instead.

New Orleans would gladly take the losing the pick this offseason if it meant making the playoffs.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Pretty sure Portland got the Pels pick in the CJ McCollom trade? Maybe top 4 protected, but I'm not even sure about that. 

Kinda funny that the 2022 Laker 1st Rd pick is a Lottery pick owned by Pelicans, while the Pelicans 2022 1st Rd pick is not a Lottery pick...  😂😂😂

Who saw that coming???

I remember everyone thinking New Orleans got a draft haul from the Lakers (they did) until the Thunder got the Clippers draft picks.  They both look good now, especially the Pelicans.  Lakers about to suck and suck hard.  Clippers picks were mostly backloaded and Kwahi could easily flake out at any point.  I would assume they'd always be at least competitive because of Ballmer's money, though.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:00 AM, LTtxfan said:

Thru April 5th...

2022 NBA Draft Lottery Simulator

PICK       REC      PCT    GB     TOP 4   #1 OVR

HOU    20-60   .250     --     52.1%      14.0%

ORL     21-59     .262    1.0   52.1%      14.0%

DET     23-56     .291   3.5   52.1%      14.0%

OKC    24-55     .304   4.5   48.1%      12.5%

IND     25-55      .312   5.0   42.1%      10.5%

POR    27-52      .342   7.5    37.2%       9.0%

SAC    29-51      .362   9.0    31.9%       7.5%

LAL     31-48     .392   11.5    26.3%      6.0%  *  (New Orleans)

SA       34-45.   .430   14.5   20.3%      4.5%

10 WAS   35-44    .443  15.5   10.3%       2.2%

-    NY     35-44.   .443   15.5   10.3%      2.2%

-    NO    35-44     .443   15.5    9.9%      2.1%  **  (Portland)

13  CHA  40-39    .506    20.5   4.8%       1.0%

14  ATL   41-38     .519     21.5   2.4%       0.5%

END OF LOTTERY

New Orleans owns Lakers 1st Rd Pick

** Portland owns Pelicans 1st Rd  Pick

Man Rockets are tanking as bad as the Astros did back in the day. Texans suck too.  Holy shit Houston

On 4/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, closetohumping said:

Man Rockets are tanking as bad as the Astros did back in the day. Texans suck too.  Holy shit Houston

I'd say the Astros tanking was well worth it with 3 trips to the World Series in 5 years. If the Rockets tanking leads to playing in the finals 3 out of 5 years I'll take that every damn day. Now the Texans? The just suck on an almost Oklahoma-type level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1