Coffee Maker

Anyone love their coffee maker?  And I don't mean those single k-cup kind of things, I mean a whole pot of coffee brewed hot from beans.  I would like a low maintenance one that can make about 2-6 cups and keep it warm for a few hours throughout the morning.  I want to be able to go buy beans from a shop and use them in the machine to make some good drip coffee. Let me know what you have and love/hate about it. Thanks,

Moccamaster 

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/technivorm-moccamaster-10-cup-glass-coffee-maker/?cm_cat=Google&sku=82086&region_id=680400&catalogId=79&cm_ite={productid}_14571727863&gclid=CjwKCAiA0KmPBhBqEiwAJqKK4zs_aXDEzVnLxMxuoLaw7NyLh5ZQXJh4qxwXeA0XAae42VnEGM3OgBoC8nkQAvD_BwE&cm_ven=PLA&cm_pla=Electrics > Coffee Makers

You can buy it several places.

fresh roasted beans, ground the right coarseness, quality water, and this machine will produce a superb cup of coffeee. Temperature and spray are nearly perfect, just a high high quality pot of coffee. It has a plate warmer but with any pot of coffee after about 30 mins the quality coffee will deteriorate regardless of how good it was to begin with.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I've got a full auto espresso maker that I've relegated to weekend duty.  Some real gourmet shit, Jimmy.

On work days when we're trying to get the kids out the door, I make a pot of drip from whole beans ground at home.  We got this Cuisinart when we got married almost 20 years ago and other than my cracking the carafe on the countertop once (replacement was $25), it's never missed.  And it's not expensive and fancy.  It's drip.  Yes, there are some variables that could be adjusted that this price point doesn't have.  But for my workday cups, it does the job.  We clean it with water and vinegar occasionally.  Other than that, no fuss, no muss.

Basically this:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-14-cup-programmable-coffee-maker-with-hotter-coffee-option/5177667?skuId=65087619&store=1365&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_coffeetea_local&product_id=65087619&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=&creative=356296492442&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000054078780&utm_adgroupid=58700005143200362&targetid=92700045205680571&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIms60yLbE9QIVqxbUAR1MJgKnEAQYAyABEgJCyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

I appreciate the input from you all, thanks!  

I know what Deadshank means with his post, but I know how bad coffee can be when it's brewed poorly. I don't want crappy donut shop coffee, nor do I want something that burns over time. I want to buy special beans and roast the best out of them :D  I like the fact that you can pull the caraffe off and pour a cup or two, and it will automatically stop/start while you do that. It does require grinding your beans separately, but I'm OK with that. 

The Technivorm Moccamaster KBGT Coffee Maker With Thermal Carafe appears to be what I'm looking for, despite the price tag. There were a few sales on this particular model, going for as low as $271 over Christmas. I'll put up a deal alert and see if I can find it on sale between now and when I install my whole house water filter and descaler in April. 

They say in 3 minutes of turning it on, you will have a cup of coffee ready to go. If you prep your water and grounds the night before, you can hit the button in the morning and get it going quickly. That's what I want in a coffee maker. My wife and I both work from home now, and will be doing so for a while. Having a pot of coffee to share in the morning would be great, and keeping it hot without burning it, while I go drop off the kids at school, is a big plus for me. 

Here's a video explaining why it's the best:

Had the moccamaster linked above for about a year now. Pour over was too time-consuming and low volume. Very happy with the quality of brew and it brings out the flavor of good beans.

Only gripe I have is the drip head does not soak all the beans like I would prefer. Sometimes I'll give them a stir and it seems to make a more balanced and full flavor profile.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

I've got a full auto espresso maker that I've relegated to weekend duty.  Some real gourmet shit, Jimmy.

On work days when we're trying to get the kids out the door, I make a pot of drip from whole beans ground at home.  We got this Cuisinart when we got married almost 20 years ago and other than my cracking the carafe on the countertop once (replacement was $25), it's never missed.  And it's not expensive and fancy.  It's drip.  Yes, there are some variables that could be adjusted that this price point doesn't have.  But for my workday cups, it does the job.  We clean it with water and vinegar occasionally.  Other than that, no fuss, no muss.

Basically this:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-14-cup-programmable-coffee-maker-with-hotter-coffee-option/5177667?skuId=65087619&store=1365&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_coffeetea_local&product_id=65087619&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&adpos=&creative=356296492442&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000054078780&utm_adgroupid=58700005143200362&targetid=92700045205680571&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIms60yLbE9QIVqxbUAR1MJgKnEAQYAyABEgJCyfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have the 12 cup Cuisinart model at home and the 14 cup model in deer camp trailer.  They meet my standards and retail for under a hunnert. 

• Hook 'Em 5

[mention=896]Jeffrey[/mention] is right about the soaking or wetting of the coffee grind. It could be better, in that it doesn't soak all the grind. I end up using a spoon to catch some of the hot water and pour it over the still dry grind, once I've done that a couple of times it's good to go. Despite this inconvenience, it's still the best coffee maker around.

I'll take some pictures later this morning as an example.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, this is what I have. An even less fancy version. I got it about 8 years ago and it’s one of the very few appliances I took in the divorce. When it dies I’ll probably get another one just like it.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac52c906c7e7dc798a3b5b24ae2751bc.jpeg

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3

Start to finish it's about 6-7 minutes to brew a full pot (11-12 cups).

1st shot just after the hot water started.
2nd shot, about a cup has been through, you can just let it go, but not all the grind will get soaked.
3rd shot, I use a spoon to dispense water evenly across the top of the grind. 2-3 spoon fulls.
4th shot, the results of distributing the water evenly. From here I just let it run.8c4cc7c685e2fee9506541af1ea21986.jpga177ba33253a786072c626c102f630c5.jpg2b7f59e743944edd5234a30dd5c63d02.jpg09a83c11054d6ef5ce0eb76a6b6a0ab6.jpg9f8e66f957c571445f4a93f67fa7a354.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Start to finish it's about 6-7 minutes to brew a full pot (11-12 cups).

1st shot just after the hot water started.
2nd shot, about a cup has been through, you can just let it go, but not all the grind will get soaked.
3rd shot, I use a spoon to dispense water evenly across the top of the grind. 2-3 spoon fulls.
4th shot, the results of distributing the water evenly. From here I just let it run.8c4cc7c685e2fee9506541af1ea21986.jpga177ba33253a786072c626c102f630c5.jpg2b7f59e743944edd5234a30dd5c63d02.jpg09a83c11054d6ef5ce0eb76a6b6a0ab6.jpg9f8e66f957c571445f4a93f67fa7a354.jpg

Wait.  You do all that fucking work AFTER you use a blade grinder?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the pics Fletch!  I'm surprised the water coverage isn't more spread out. I saw a few videos and the shower head had about 10 holes in it, which would make me think it would cover the grounds better.  

So if I understand correctly, your process is:

Fill tank with water 

Grind beans in another machine

Add a new filter 

Put grounds in the filter and set in place 

Put the carafe in place 

Press the On button to start the process 

Use a spoon to spread water during brew process

• Like 1

Our 1st Technivorn Mochamaster was the one Troph linked. It lasted at least 10 years. It did a good job of dispersing the hot water over the grind. I'm guessing, they changed the hole pattern on my current version. Mine has 9 holes on the bottom, so maybe they have addressed this issue.

All that said, it makes a fantastic cup of coffee.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I bought a Cuisinart Grind & Brew with the stainless carafe in 2005. Still going strong.

How hot is the coffee when it comes out?  That's my biggest complaint when I try other friends coffee makers, or those K cup machines. It's around 120 degrees when it comes out, and it cools down quickly if it's not in a thermos.  

The other issue is that I want something that brews at the right temperature too. 195-205 degrees is the universally accepted best temperature, any barista can confirm that. Most home coffee makers don't crack 180, and so they don't make "great" coffee. I want the best for my home office 😁

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, this is what I have. An even less fancy version. I got it about 8 years ago and it’s one of the very few appliances I took in the divorce. When it dies I’ll probably get another one just like it.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac52c906c7e7dc798a3b5b24ae2751bc.jpeg

Same one we have.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I appreciate the input from you all, thanks!  

I know what Deadshank means with his post, but I know how bad coffee can be when it's brewed poorly. I don't want crappy donut shop coffee, nor do I want something that burns over time. I want to buy special beans and roast the best out of them :D  I like the fact that you can pull the caraffe off and pour a cup or two, and it will automatically stop/start while you do that. It does require grinding your beans separately, but I'm OK with that. 

The Technivorm Moccamaster KBGT Coffee Maker With Thermal Carafe appears to be what I'm looking for, despite the price tag. There were a few sales on this particular model, going for as low as $271 over Christmas. I'll put up a deal alert and see if I can find it on sale between now and when I install my whole house water filter and descaler in April. 

They say in 3 minutes of turning it on, you will have a cup of coffee ready to go. If you prep your water and grounds the night before, you can hit the button in the morning and get it going quickly. That's what I want in a coffee maker. My wife and I both work from home now, and will be doing so for a while. Having a pot of coffee to share in the morning would be great, and keeping it hot without burning it, while I go drop off the kids at school, is a big plus for me. 

Here's a video explaining why it's the best:

You could always skip the drip and get this.  It's not the best super auto out there, but it's reasonable, they hold up as long as you don't put dark roast beans in them, and it's good coffee.  Ours is ten years old this year and going strong.

91BJPPtFoHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by dcbc

Proper pour over is the best way, and @Irwin F Fletcher is right about making sure you wet the grind evenly. It’s why a well done pour over is so fantastic. But it’s all of it coming together, beans, grind, filtered water, temp, how you filter through the grind. All of it. A pour over on a weekday is tough though, either one of the moccamasters will do you right. we don’t get to the pot at the same time, and I like it as hot as when first made if im second to the pot so the carafe wasn’t for us, but I get to the coffee quickly usually within 15 mins. Not a bad second best cup of coffee. We live for the Sunday morning pour overs though. 

Edited by troph

Grind beans, heat water in a proper spouted kettle, pour over the grinds. No brewing machine necessary. 

I use a chemex if I’m making more than a cup. I use a Melitta cone and #4 filter over a mug when it’s just me.  Simple, easy, perfect cup of coffee.  7-8 minutes tops and half of that is heating the water while I’m getting dressed. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:05 PM, deadshank said:

I love coffee. Half a pot every morning. 
But I have to say:  F’in white people. 
$350 plus tax for a coffee maker??  No friggin way  

That had better be the best coffee in the world. 

30957C78-2A53-4890-9F05-2063E76ED653.gif

Then you'll love mine.  I bought the extra large version.  $100 more (although they're on sale a lot):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4LCAJI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We go through the whole pot every day and more than one on weekends.  Four adults and two teenagers.

Yes, the coffee is more than noticeably better.   It's really not even close to the crap from even a $100 maker - or the swill people drink at Starbucks, McDonalds, 7-11, etc.   And that godawful shit that comes out of a plastic ketchup holder at work - I'd rather drink paint thinner and it's probably better for me.

But to me, not having my coffee maker crap out for the last 7 years is the main difference.  Flawless operation with no issues.  All my Mr. Coffees, Capressos, KitchenAids, Cuisinarts, and even my old Bonavita - they just didn't last.  Too much plastic, too thin wiring in the coil, etc.

Yes, I'm white.  And yes it's a luxury.  I could also drink $10/bottle scotch.  But I don't.  

On 1/21/2022 at 9:33 PM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

What @troph said, though I'd recommend their carafe version. Stays hot for hours and doesn't "cook" the coffee after it is brewed. Worth every penny d762f21c22676b9dabe4c781adc481ae.jpg

This one.  I've had mine for years and it's fantastic.  With a good burr grinder you'll never want any other coffee again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Here’s your grinder. No idea about the life…but the quality and control of the grind is second to none. I make pour overs, espressos, and aero press (another gadget I highly recommend for one offs).

https://fellowproducts.com/products/ode-brew-grinder

Haven’t used that one - highly rated for sure - we’ve had a baratza and a breville, both were solid.

I'd say the quality of the bean and the quality of the water are first and first.  everything else falls way behind that.  but the right grind, the water temperature, and how it pours over the bean do matter.  I really don't care what you make your coffee with, if you're using tap water your coffee probably sucks worse than OU.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Technivorm has an option for a manual drip stop model if you want to avoid having to stir the beans to help with initial coverage.

I kinda regret not getting that option so I could let the beans bloom a bit with the initial drip. However, I also know that on more than one occasion, I would probably forget to flip the switch and end up with coffee spilling out the brew basket while I'm distracted making breakfast. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:34 PM, dcbc said:

Basically this:

I was given a fully automatic De’Longhi espresso machine by a friend for helping him move last summer. I looked up the cost and it would’ve run me 600+ had I purchased it. It had never been used. It’s been really cool to have and I get quite a bit of use out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

If I'm smart I will not go down this rabbit hole (since I am happy with my locally roasted beans and enjoy the taste of my coffee every morning) but for optimizing the coffee with better water - do y'all use distilled for pure h20, or are you just going for a good tasting water and use "purified" or whatever?

I like coffee, I periodically (not every morning) grind my beans at home using a baratza encore (has worked without issue for 2 years). I used to get beans from Third Coast Coffee, which I liked a lot - since moving I now get them from Black and White in Wake Forest, which is also great. The thing that has stopped me from trying to get any fancier is that I'm not running through a fucking process every morning before I drink my coffee. First thing I do every morning when I wake up is carefully stumble downstairs to pour my coffee and return to bed to drink it. That and taking a leak are the most complicated things I'm willing to do prior to drinking coffee. Can you set the fancy pants sur la table guy on a timer?

I have a Cuisinart drip and it has the hot water thing on the side -

81Xr3UR86KL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

the hot water thing is gross and fairly useless. It's not immediate, it may run out of hot water before you finish filling the cup, and it then seems gross to have this water reservoir sitting partially filled for months until you want to use it again. I just use a kettle and if it the machine didn't have the additional sentimentality of being a wedding gift I'd toss it immediately for the same thing without the hot water. The one other thing I don't like about it is the carafe is absolute dog shit for pouring water into the back of the machine - I bought this graduated beaker and keep it next to the filters and pop containers with the beans.

Me nor the wife were coffee fans, so we've never owned a coffee maker.  Over the past year I been drinking the coffee at work (various pod flavors) and i've gotten to where on the weekends I would really like to have a cup.  I'd like to get a home system but I am not investing $350 in a machine and another few hundred in a grinder as that kind of quality would be wasted by me.  What's a solid pod/carafe compatible system?  Something like the one above that doesn't have dogshit in the review.

On 1/26/2022 at 5:47 PM, Gene Parmesan said:

Me nor the wife were coffee fans, so we've never owned a coffee maker.  Over the past year I been drinking the coffee at work (various pod flavors) and i've gotten to where on the weekends I would really like to have a cup.  I'd like to get a home system but I am not investing $350 in a machine and another few hundred in a grinder as that kind of quality would be wasted by me.  What's a solid pod/carafe compatible system?  Something like the one above that doesn't have dogshit in the review.

had illy's pods in a hotel and its really good

On 1/26/2022 at 10:09 AM, Celery Man said:

If I'm smart I will not go down this rabbit hole (since I am happy with my locally roasted beans and enjoy the taste of my coffee every morning) but for optimizing the coffee with better water - do y'all use distilled for pure h20, or are you just going for a good tasting water and use "purified" or whatever?

I'm on team "Don't used distilled or RO water."  Not good for the machine or the taste of the finished product.  If you don't have super hard water, and If you have access to filtered water, ideally a filter that removes chlorine/chloramine, that will make a fine cup of coffee.  If not, regular bottled water may be your best bet.  Some mineral content is good from a taste perspective.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/blog/2012/04/06/the-lowdown-on-distilled-water/

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Reminds me of Five Star Chemicals' 5.2 stabilizer for all grain beer brewing.

You're better off reading your local water report to get a general idea of what you're dealing with. If I had to guess, based on their claims, there's probably a heaping tablespoon of CaCl2 in that packet.

Or just find some water that tastes good and go with it

Edited by dcbc

We use Sunray Water’s distilled water and it’s the best water I’ve ever experienced. https://www.sunraywaters.com/the-prossess

they have several processes but their distilled process is incredible.  It’s a blank slate without the harshness of typical distilled water. I use it for my scotch too and love it. 

but to @Celery Man comment. Your grinder is a really good one. Hone in the right grind size, don’t know your beans but assuming they are good keep that up, filtered water that’s well filtered will be solid, good filtered water from the store will work too. If you aren’t changing your maker and I don’t see that you should, then the bean, grind (dial that bitch in for your maker), water quality and precise amount of water will do way more than a new maker.  We love our maker but it’s the other stuff that really makes it. It’s like having a nice ceramic grill to make a steak - there is a LOT more that goes into it besides a BGE. You can totally take it up a notch here without spending another dime. 

Edited by troph

I use a Chemex daily and a Capresso burr grinder. The coffee quality is superb. I don’t think it’s much work because I’m already hovering around the kitchen making myself breakfast, so it’s easy to pour water between whatever else I’m doing. For people who don’t make breakfast, I could see it being a hassle.

I’ve considered getting an automatic coffee maker but it would need to basically do everything (grind beans and brew coffee) without compromising flavor. There aren’t many options for that.

Jura coffee machines interest me. I like that it can grind the beans, brew the coffee, set the intensity level, control the water temperature, and brew espresso on days when I want espresso. They are in the neighborhood of $3,000 which is why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

got damned yall have some expensive ass coffee makers.

i had this coffee maker. would usually clean with vinegar. decided to really clean it one day. discovered all the tubes carrying water had mold in them. no way vinegar was going to clean them. after see that i decided that i was done with any coffee makers with tubes.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49980A-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B00EI7DPPI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1C8559VQA4LD5&keywords=hamilton+beach+coffee+maker&qid=1645129426&sprefix=hamil%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSlVSOVEzNTZaMVFTJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTk4NzI0MVNKVUhZUlZGUUpRRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjMwMjU0V1RQQlRBSjg3Qlomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

i've had this one for the last year and love it. makes a great cup of coffee every time. old school percolator. cleaning is a bit of a chore but i'll take that over moldy water.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02811-12-Cup-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B00006IV0Q/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3BJITA3NWHYYG&keywords=percolator%2Bcoffee%2Bpot&qid=1645129293&sprefix=perco%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-12&th=1