Coffee Maker

On 1/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Start to finish it's about 6-7 minutes to brew a full pot (11-12 cups).

1st shot just after the hot water started.
2nd shot, about a cup has been through, you can just let it go, but not all the grind will get soaked.
3rd shot, I use a spoon to dispense water evenly across the top of the grind. 2-3 spoon fulls.
4th shot, the results of distributing the water evenly. From here I just let it run.8c4cc7c685e2fee9506541af1ea21986.jpg

Does your moccamaster have a cover for the basket where the grounds are?  We bought our 2 years ago and our does.  The cover has a gathering area for the hot water and a bunch of little holes that disburse the water over more of the grounds. 

I agree that this machine makes great coffee.   We do not have the carafe one.  The warmer is engineered just right.  It keeps the coffee hot, but has never burned it.  

The instructions cautioned against setting out the water and the grounds the night before so we don't do that even if it sounds convenience.  I don't think it's a problem except that the stale water and less fresh grounds won't make the the best coffee. I sleepily put it all together when we get up.  The specs are right, it can make a full pot in less than 6 minutes. 

Does your moccamaster have a cover for the basket where the grounds are?  We bought our 2 years ago and our does.  The cover has a gathering area for the hot water and a bunch of little holes that disburse the water over more of the grounds. 
I agree that this machine makes great coffee.   We do not have the carafe one.  The warmer is engineered just right.  It keeps the coffee hot, but has never burned it.  
The instructions cautioned against setting out the water and the grounds the night before so we don't do that even if it sounds convenience.  I don't think it's a problem except that the stale water and less fresh grounds won't make the the best coffee. I sleepily put it all together when we get up.  The specs are right, it can make a full pot in less than 6 minutes. 
It does have a cover for the basket for the grounds. I left it off for the photos.

We grind the beans right before brewing each time. Start to finish from grinding beans to pouring a cup is probably 7-8 minutes top.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, South Austin said:

Yeah, this is what I have. An even less fancy version. I got it about 8 years ago and it’s one of the very few appliances I took in the divorce. When it dies I’ll probably get another one just like it.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac52c906c7e7dc798a3b5b24ae2751bc.jpeg
I like Cuisinart, and this coffee maker was good too

This coffee maker is amazing. I had a chance to try it when I was in my friend's home, and actually I liked it. I want to purchase it soon 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I got that Cusinart carafe coffee maker and couldn’t get a full flavor brew like my old ass Mr Coffee. The only thing I could think of was that the cone doesn’t give it enough time to soak.

Does basket shape matter come VS flat? Given this is $150 maybe I got a defective one? I’m not opposed to the price of the Mocca Master but the lack of an auto brew feature would suck.

What else?

On 1/21/2022 at 8:27 PM, troph said:

It has a plate warmer but with any pot of coffee after about 30 mins the quality coffee will deteriorate regardless of how good it was to begin with.

I actually prefer coffee that has been sitting on the plate for a few hours, but maybe I am weird. Of course it never lasts that long at home, but occasionally I'll find a pot that has been sitting there for a few hours at work. With the crappy Folgers they have at work, it really improves the flavor.

17 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

I got that Cusinart carafe coffee maker and couldn’t get a full flavor brew like my old ass Mr Coffee. The only thing I could think of was that the cone doesn’t give it enough time to soak.

Does basket shape matter come VS flat? Given this is $150 maybe I got a defective one? I’m not opposed to the price of the Mocca Master but the lack of an auto brew feature would suck.

What else?

How long it soaks is based on a spring valve on the bottom of the cone, which is opened by the little bulb shaped area on top of the coffee pot lid.  Are you using that metal filter that came with it?  If so, switch to paper.  Otherwise, I don't know.  I've had coffee from a Mr. Coffee and from my 21 year old Cuisinart.  I prefer the Cuisinart because I'm familiar with it and it's my home, filtered water.  But I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to be able to tell whether the drip is better in one versus the other. 

https://fullcoffeeroast.com/cone-vs-flat-bottom-coffee-filters/

Looks like flat-bottom setups have a shorter extraction time and tend to be less flavorful when you use the same amount of coffee grounds.

Edited by dcbc

How long it soaks is based on a spring valve on the bottom of the cone, which is opened by the little bulb shaped area on top of the coffee pot lid.  Are you using that metal filter that came with it?  If so, switch to paper.  Otherwise, I don't know.  I've had coffee from a Mr. Coffee and from my 21 year old Cuisinart.  I prefer the Cuisinart because I'm familiar with it and it's my home, filtered water.  But I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to be able to tell whether the drip is better in one versus the other. 

https://fullcoffeeroast.com/cone-vs-flat-bottom-coffee-filters/

Looks like flat-bottom setups have a shorter extraction time and tend to be less flavorful when you use the same amount of coffee grounds.

Yeah I tried the paper filter…, never been a fan of the mesh.

Got this last Christmas, and it's made my life better:

The Bambino by Breville

spacer.png

Downside is that it's just a cup at a time. But it's super simple to use, super quick to clean, very low maintenance. Espresso does take a little experimenting at first to get good (even after you change beans) but a good Americano is the best part of getting up in the morning for me... or cappuccino for dessert at night. Or a shot of espresso after lunch. Or a mocha on the weekends...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2022 at 6:16 PM, troph said:

I'd say the quality of the bean and the quality of the water are first and first.  everything else falls way behind that.  but the right grind, the water temperature, and how it pours over the bean do matter.  I really don't care what you make your coffee with, if you're using tap water your coffee probably sucks worse than OU.

☝️ this

Use filtered water, and replace your filter and clean its housing regularly. With soap, rinsed thoroughly.

Use whole beans that you grind immediately before brewing. And keep that clean.

Don't use a blade grinder. It doesn't grind evenly, and it heats the beans which mucks with the flavor. Use a conical burr grinder. I've used the fuck out of one of these:

Capresso Infinity Conical Burr Grinder, $99

spacer.png

Don't buy more beans per bag than you can drink in a couple of weeks. Once the bag is open, they get stale/rancid. You can also roast your own beans, if you have the time and skill; the smell your house gets is worth it all alone.