Girl Scout cookies (not selling, just eating)

Hawndoh

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I honestly had no idea Adventurefuls, Caramel Chocolate Chip, Toffee-tastic and Toast-Yay existed.

I'm going to go broke. 

The Caramel Choc Chip and Toffee-tastic are both gluten free, and thus don't taste as good as they sound. I'd certainly eat them if in front of me, but yeah. 

Signed,

Girl Scout Dad

8 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

The Caramel Choc Chip and Toffee-tastic are both gluten free, and thus don't taste as good as they sound. I'd certainly eat them if in front of me, but yeah. 

Signed,

Girl Scout Dad

Went through a whole bag of these on Sunday while watching KC/Buffalo.  Could have gone through several more if I had them but did resist the urge to open the two boxes of thin mints. I've never been able to say no to the kids who are selling these and once a year it means getting to see smiles and make their day a little brighter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bitching about price… when it’s not ever meant to be price competitive. SMDH

Go buy some $1 cookies at DG for crisakes…

or maybe help some kids out with their organization.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Bitching about price… when it’s not ever meant to be price competitive. SMDH

Go buy some $1 cookies at DG for crisakes…

or maybe help some kids out with their organization.

This. Think about it as if you are making a donation to a worthwhile youth organization and, in return, they are giving you a tasty thank you gift. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 posts in and no bitching about parents at work stopping by everyone's office to guilt you into buying their kid's cookies? We're slippin.

Hated that time of year when I was working in corporate America. Pretty surefire way to instantly rank the political importance of people in my office though.

Entry level hourly employee (knock knock)...sure I'll take a box and I'm pissed for being put in that position.

CEO (knock knock)...sure gimme 20 boxes and I consider it a great investment in my future.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

14 posts in and no bitching about parents at work stopping by everyone's office to guilt you into buying their kid's cookies? We're slippin.

Hated that time of year when I was working in corporate America. Pretty surefire way to instantly rank the political importance of people in my office though.

Entry level hourly employee (knock knock)...sure I'll take a box and I'm pissed for being put in that position.

CEO (knock knock)...sure gimme 20 boxes and I consider it a great investment in my future.

Thank fucking god for WFH. 

I guess I'll go stalk some Girls Scouts outside the HEB soon.   When I was in Denver, they'd post up outside some of the more highly trafficked dispensaries on a Sat/Sun.  Fucking business savvy shit right there. 

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Think about it as if you are making a donation to a worthwhile youth organization and, in return, they are giving you a tasty thank you gift. 

Exactly this.

As a side note, I know how hard it was for me to talk to with adults and how I struggled with self-confidence as a kid.  If a Girl Scout rings my doorbell selling cookies, Imma always buy at least two boxes not only for the point Tony made above but also to potentially assist someone who may be struggling with what I battled as kid.

Parents slinging at work? No. Kid parked outside a grocery store? Nope.  Kid going old school with a wagon around my neighborhood? Yup.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Sorry, but knocking off Girl Scout cookies for profit is just wrong. 

@Liquor and Poker @slorch

Somehow I was under the impression that the Girl Scouts were one of those organizations that was really good at making money and didn't really give much to the girls? I have no idea where that idea comes from as I've never known anyone in that organization nor really read anything about them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Girl Scouts sell $800M worth of cookies per year. Here’s how the proceeds are split up:

50 percent goes to council-sponsored programs, events, properties, training, and scholarships.

24 percent goes to the cost of the cookies.

23 percent goes to troop proceeds, girl recognitions, and service unit bonuses.

3 percent goes to the cost of Cookie Program support.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The Girl Scouts sell $800M worth of cookies per year. Here’s how the proceeds are split up:

50 percent goes to council-sponsored programs, events, properties, training, and scholarships.

I figure on most kid program fundraisers 50% is the going rate for the organization.  I’ll buy just about anything to help out the kids in my neighborhood as long as they do the selling.  I love it.

To me it has always seemed to be a bit of a sadistic move by the GSA to push these things hard in January…when lots of people are trying to improve their eating habits.

“Haha you want to lose 10-15 pounds Tubby? Well fuck you! I’m going to send this cute, innocent looking child to your doorstep/grocery store to push 1000 calories a box on your guilt ridden ass.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

50% is pretty exceptional in Big Charity world.  

Fall product sales is where the real money is for troops. They get like a 40% split.

My wife is the scout leader for my daughter’s troop. They sold last year for the first time (2nd grade) and they have banked like $7500 from last year. She uses it to cover summer camp costs for the girls. The plan is to use the balance for a bad ass troop trip after 5th grade.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

@Liquor and Poker @slorch

Somehow I was under the impression that the Girl Scouts were one of those organizations that was really good at making money and didn't really give much to the girls? I have no idea where that idea comes from as I've never known anyone in that organization nor really read anything about them. 

The money the troops have raised for cookies have directly paid for tons of events, camping trips, etc., for my daughters. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It's Town Lake and they're Samoas.

There are two different bakeries that have slightly different cookies and different names, rather than Samoas being phased out as a name.

For example, the bakery that North Texas uses still has S'mores in a sandwich-style cookie, whereas the fudge covered S'mores my daughter sold last year are gone-zo.

Tagalongs = PB Patties

Samoas = Caramel Delites

Dosidos = PB Sandwiches

Trefoils = Shortbreads

But thin mints are always thin mints.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I was told there’d be no math. 

we got some lemonades last year and were surprised at how good they were. They might be my #1. I get down with Caramel Delights (formerly Samoas), thin mints, Peanut Butter Patties (formerly Tagalongs), the previously-mentioned lemonades, and maybe a few shortbreads and a small glass of milk for dipping. 

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Exactly this.

As a side note, I know how hard it was for me to talk to with adults and how I struggled with self-confidence as a kid.  If a Girl Scout rings my doorbell selling cookies, Imma always buy at least two boxes not only for the point Tony made above but also to potentially assist someone who may be struggling with what I battled as kid.

Parents slinging at work? No. Kid parked outside a grocery store? Nope.  Kid going old school with a wagon around my neighborhood? Yup.

I buy from kids only. Parents hit me up- no thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Dutch said:

Exactly this.

We had our daughter stand up in front of our adult Sunday school class and give her sales pitch.  Many boxes of cookies were sold that day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

This. Think about it as if you are making a donation to a worthwhile youth organization and, in return, they are giving you a tasty thank you gift. 

This is our pitch when trying to sell popcorn for BSA. Of course Girl Scouts makes it near impossible when you can get a box of delicious cookies for $5 and we're trying to sell a fucking $20 bag of popcorn.

• Haha 1