2022 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Why is rpi so much more fucked up in baseball than in basketball? Maybe it is and I just don’t notice but the disparities are crazy, especially within a round robin conference. The fact that teams are cancelling games because they might drop on rpi even by winning is absurd, they need to fix that shit asap.

• Like 1

Latest regular season numbers from D1:

D1Baseball Top 25:  • D1Baseball

"Big 12 regular-season champ TCU made the week’s biggest leap, up six spots to No. 18. Texas and UCLA moved up three spots apiece to 22 and 23, respectively.

Three teams entered the rankings this week: Oklahoma jumped in at No. 21 after winning a series at Texas Tech. East Carolina returned to the rankings at No. 22 after running its winning streak to 14 straight games. And LSU returned to the rankings after a one-week absence by sweeping Vanderbilt. The Tigers checked in at No. 23.

Connecticut, Florida State and Vandy dropped out of the Top 25.

D1Baseball editors and national writers determine the Top 25 rankings."

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Why is rpi so much more fucked up in baseball than in basketball? Maybe it is and I just don’t notice but the disparities are crazy, especially within a round robin conference. The fact that teams are cancelling games because they might drop on rpi even by winning is absurd, they need to fix that shit asap.

That could be fixed by dropping the lowest RPI opponent from the calculation or something like that.

Birdsell for Tech winning Big 12 pitcher of the year is laughably bad. He was good against the crap teams and was hit around against any team with a pulse. I could argue Lucas Gordon had a better season than him and Gordon didn't even make first team All-Big 12.

Edited by Hookem2147

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Birdsell for Tech winning Big 12 pitcher of the year is laughably bad. He was good against the crap teams and was hit around against any team with a pulse. I could argue Lucas Gordon had a better season than him and Gordon didn't even make first team All-Big 12.

3rd in ERA in conference-only stats
Tied for 1st in wins
6th in IP
4th in K
6th in BAA

Yeah I don't see it.   Lucas was 1st in ERA, same number of wins, 7th in K, 5th in BAA for Big 12 games only

Never know what the fuck they actually look at for these awards - is it a whole season thing or a Big 12 award? 

• 3 weeks later...

The Big 12 will remain a great basketball conference when Texas and Oklahoma leave but I'm not seeing it with baseball. 

The Big 12 won't be comparable to the SEC, ACC, or Pac 12. I just realized  Tadlock and Holiday graduated from the schools they coach at but the Big 12 has to keep those 2 coaches in the conference. 

On 3/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, DeadArmadillo said:

Depends. Does anyone at OU even realize that they have a baseball team? Historically a very good program, but not much better than the girlfriends and grandparents crowd except for Bedlam, Tech, or Texas. And with Tech, it’s Red Raiders that live near Norman that kinda fill the place up. I don’t know why Sooners seem to support football and softball and little else

I guess Skip is now safe