2022 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Is Skip getting booted out at OU if they don't at least make a regional this year? They have done nothing since he's taken over.

Depends. Does anyone at OU even realize that they have a baseball team? Historically a very good program, but not much better than the girlfriends and grandparents crowd except for Bedlam, Tech, or Texas. And with Tech, it’s Red Raiders that live near Norman that kinda fill the place up. I don’t know why Sooners seem to support football and softball and little else

54 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Depends. Does anyone at OU even realize that they have a baseball team? Historically a very good program, but not much better than the girlfriends and grandparents crowd except for Bedlam, Tech, or Texas. And with Tech, it’s Red Raiders that live near Norman that kinda fill the place up. I don’t know why Sooners seem to support football and softball and little else

Championships,  they are a greedy bunch.

Tells you all you need to know when Bally Sports Ok TV chooses to telecast the softball game last night vs baseball.  OU's baseball  facilities (esp training) are behind which likely affects recruiting and will be exacerbated with the move to the SEC.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, DeadArmadillo said:

On 3/26/2022 at 11:54 AM, torre said:

Championships,  they are a greedy bunch.

Tells you all you need to know when Bally Sports Ok TV chooses to telecast the softball game last night vs baseball.  OU's baseball  facilities (esp training) are behind which likely affects recruiting and will be exacerbated with the move to the SEC.

It seems strange that they're giving up their home series with us to move to Arlington.  Is it just for a payday?  It would point again to not giving a shit about baseball.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Seems the Big 12 is very top heavy this year. D1 baseball has 4 Big 12 teams in their top 12 this week. The dropoff from those 4 to Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia and Oklahoma is very, very big.

I think OU and West Virginia are capable. So I'm not sure the drop-off is massive there, even though the top 4 are clearly better.

But yeah Baylor, K-State and Kansas range from "meh" to bad.

Edited by oSuJeff97

5 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yep.  Texas, TCU, OSU and Tech are all all excellent. OU and West Virginia can probably sneak up and beat people, but Baylor, Kansas and K-State seem to range from meh to bad.

Baylor, Kansas and K-State are very bad. Baylor is slightly surprising but they can't get anyone out so far this year.

I'm not sure what to think of OU and WVU yet. The word on OU is they are bad defensively and there is a big pitching dropoff after their top few guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, torre said:

Good question.   Need to call the resident experts @'stache @oSuJeff97

The conference series used to be played in the minor league stadiums in OKC and Tulsa. It was two games in Tulsa and one in OKC, and vise versa from year to year. Attendance in Tulsa was always really good, but fairly weak in OKC. A few years ago they starting tinkering with it because both schools wanted some of the games to be at their home stadiums. They added a mid-week game that would not count towards the conference standings. They tinkered with it for a while where the games would be played. I think they finally decided upon the conference series being scheduled like normal alternating year to year between Stillwater and Norman.  I think OU had done some stadium renovations and OSU had the plans for what is now O'Brate Stadium. The Tulsa attendance was always strong, so this year the "non-con" game is in Tulsa. I don't know if it plans to go back to OKC, but I kind of doubt it. I think Tulsa and the Drillers pressed hard for it and OKC didn't care as much. I could be wrong on the OKC end. Anyways, it's been pretty messy how they've been doing it, but I think it's settled into the conference series being normal and the non-con being a midweek game in Tulsa. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Tuesday (3/29):

West Virginia 7

Marshall 3

Abilene Christian 6

TCU 2

Kansas State 8

Northern Colorado 6

Texas Tech 19

Stephen F. Austin 1

Baylor 15

UT Arlington 9

Texas A&M 12

Texas 9

Oklahoma 7

Oklahoma State 6

Wednesday (3/30):

Stephen F. Austin @ Texas Tech

Wichita State @ Kansas

West Virginia @ Pitt

UTSA @ TCU

Northern Colorado @ Kansas State

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

The conference series used to be played in the minor league stadiums in OKC and Tulsa. It was two games in Tulsa and one in OKC, and vise versa from year to year. Attendance in Tulsa was always really good, but fairly weak in OKC. A few years ago they starting tinkering with it because both schools wanted some of the games to be at their home stadiums. They added a mid-week game that would not count towards the conference standings. They tinkered with it for a while where the games would be played. I think they finally decided upon the conference series being scheduled like normal alternating year to year between Stillwater and Norman.  I think OU had done some stadium renovations and OSU had the plans for what is now O'Brate Stadium. The Tulsa attendance was always strong, so this year the "non-con" game is in Tulsa. I don't know if it plans to go back to OKC, but I kind of doubt it. I think Tulsa and the Drillers pressed hard for it and OKC didn't care as much. I could be wrong on the OKC end. Anyways, it's been pretty messy how they've been doing it, but I think it's settled into the conference series being normal and the non-con being a midweek game in Tulsa. 

Good summary.

The genesis was back in the 80s... it was Gary Ward's idea, IIRC, to generate more excitement in for college baseball in the state. Back then, the Big 8 played 5 conference games against everyone. So what they would do is play 2 in Norman/Stillwater, depending on whose year it was to be the home team, and then generally play 2 in OKC and 1 in Tulsa.  The Tulsa/OKC part switched around off and on, from all 3 in one site to the 2/1 split being different.

When the Big 12 started and it switched to 3 game series against everyone, they kept the Tulsa/OKC sites in favor of the school sites and would play 2/1 in OKC/Tulsa on a rotational basis... usually one site would get Friday/Saturday and then the other would get Sunday.  After a while, they started playing 1 or 2 non-conference games at school sites just because Bedlam was/is a big draw in both locations.

Then 'Stache pretty much covers the rest from the past few years when they went back to campus sites for the actual conference games.

• Hook 'Em 1

WVU just beat TCU 3-2.  They took the lead in the top of the 9th on this:

Then TCU loaded the bases with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th but the ump rung up the batter on a 3-2 pitch that looked outside.  Shame.
Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 'stache said:

KState walking errbody. Almost starting to feel bad for them.

Someone on OP was stating Bogusz velocity was way down, KState is a decently hitting team, and man they just raked him…got a little nervous there towards the end.  Naturally Walton leaves him in and the lead crumbles but we won 12-9

28-2 Tech......fucking 28 runs.....28.....you have to fucking fire a coach for that don't you?......even if you win it all in basketball shit I mean have Bill Self coach baseball for an extra $500,000 a year as a no show job and you might not give up 28 runs in a game

I support a run rule at all levels. No reason to waste arms when there’s no chance. I know baseball doesn’t have a clock so there’s technically always a chance, but come on. I also think it’s condescending that college softball has a run rule but not baseball. 

• Like 1