Post a song that you like that is way outside of the realm of what you normally like

shadow_operative

Ive been on these sites for two full decades now, and i know damn well that 90% of what's popular here is these like, meek, sensitive, long haired, vulnerable white dudes who sing over acoustic instruments, and then 10% foreign acts that nobody has ever heard of yet you just casually mention their third EP as if they're Drake or Billie Eilish and we all know exactly who you're talking about. I don't want to see any of that shit in here. it already permeates the rest of the board as it is.

with that said, i'll start this thang off. i really do listen to a very eclectic mix of music, but feet to the fire, my favorite/most listened to genres are 90's rap, 90's r&b, and popular music from the 60's, whether that be country, british invasion, motown, whatever. so with that in mind, these next two songs are pretty far away from what i normally like, but for whatever reason i do fucks with them relatively hard. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

i like modern (post-2005ish) hip hop and rap okay but it is rarely my choice when i'm actually in the moment listening to music.  a few exceptions that come to mind are the two following.  both are excellent in my opinion and show solid musical composition and extraordinarily good production quality - masterful use of bass and not overdone like most.  lyrics in low life are not terribly impressive but kendrick's lyrics are excellent imo.

and despite derka identifying billie in his op, i don't generally care for much of her jams with a couple of exceptions.  another example of a masterful application of bass in just the right spots.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Definitely not in my catalog, but I'll be damned if I don't find myself bobbing my head and whisper singing the chorus any time I hear one of these. My daughter used to find it hilarious, but now she's 15 and hates everything so it just annoys her. 

Can relate. Can SO relate…🙄😅

Aretha's version of Say a Little Prayer is better.

About 2-3 years ago, I stumbled across Yumi Zouma, a band from New Zealand of the alternative or indie pop genre, one that was never really in my rotation.  I'm not sure what about their sound roped me in, but they're catchy as hell, and I've been a fan since. 

I love 90's/early 00's alternative rock, but I really lost interest sometime around 2010 as more electric and pop infused stuff started dominating alternative music.  It all got a bit too precious for me.  These days I'm mostly into classic rock, classic country, and any new music that's been heavily influenced by those touchstones.

But I fucking love this song.  Got borderline obsessed with it when it was released.

• Hook 'Em 1