winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

Yeah some interesting choices but I guess you compress the timeline and going to Boston and finding your balls in that hostile environment is a good story. 

The scene I cant wait for is when Buss meets with those bankers after the Lakers win a title. Guess we will see who eats shit then. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

who's gonna play kurt rambis in s2?

scoot mcnairy's got the look for it, if they could make him 6'9".

Henry Cavill if he wasn't only 6'1".

Allan Ritchson is only 6'2".

But those guys are too bulky anyways.

The good news about casting early 1980s Rambis is that as long as you got the height, you can get away with a lot on the looks department thanks to the glasses, mustache, and hair.

I ran into Rambis a few years ago at a restaurant, and didn't even know it was him until somebody walked up and said his name and asked for an autograph.  Went and looked him up, and yeah, without the glasses and mustache, looks completely different.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:12 AM, Upgrayedd said:

A little.  They were 12-4 in December and played Boston at home.

Actually, they took a lot of liberties with the record.  Westhead was 50-18 with the Lakers that year.  There was one 3 game losing streak in late November, road games against then elite teams.  Rest of the season there were only two instances of even a two game losing streak.  That bs drama of losing horribly to the worst teams in the league was just stupid.

I've enjoyed the series a lot, mostly for the Jerry Buss financial drama, but if this is how they took liberties on the publicly available bball side, I can't imagine how far they went on the private side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wade said:

Actually, they took a lot of liberties with the record.  Westhead was 50-18 with the Lakers that year.  There was one 3 game losing streak in late November, road games against then elite teams.  Rest of the season there were only two instances of even a two game losing streak.  That bs drama of losing horribly to the worst teams in the league was just stupid.

I've enjoyed the series a lot, mostly for the Jerry Buss financial drama, but if this is how they took liberties on the publicly available bball side, I can't imagine how far they went on the private side.

great example of why one should read through rest of thread before responding to something.  Others communicated my annoyances much better

On 4/18/2022 at 3:36 PM, TrashMaster G said:

I swear to god, some of you guys could suck the fun out of an orgy.   (So to speak)

and i swear to god that you complain about anyone who critiques any show that you watch, as if every single show that you're into is some unattainably perfect masterpiece that should be above any criticism. the thoughts and critiques about this show have been measured and well thought out, and nobody has trashed the show or otherwise been unfair towards it. in fact there's some really good/interesting discussion going on right now, and you bitching that people aren't exclusively using this thread to slurp the show adds nothing to the conversation. i appreciate the posts here which have made slight, yet fair criticisms of the show. so do most people. now get on board with it and stop whining every time someone is critical of a tv show that you like. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and i swear to god that you complain about anyone who critiques any show that you watch, as if every single show that you're into is some unattainably perfect masterpiece that should be above any criticism. the thoughts and critiques about this show have been measured and well thought out, and nobody has trashed the show or otherwise been unfair towards it. in fact there's some really good/interesting discussion going on right now, and you bitching that people aren't exclusively using this thread to slurp the show adds nothing to the conversation. i appreciate the posts here which have made slight, yet fair criticisms of the show. so do most people. now get on board with it and stop whining every time someone is critical of a tv show that you like. 

it’s weird how some people have such a specific and visceral reaction to what others have to say about something they like.

there’s probably a pill to get rid of that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

People then let alone now don’t realize how good Bird was despite being unathletic.  Dude was fucking nasty.  He’d be great in today’s game, too.

22 minutes ago, RPM said:

Bird was doing mystical things until his back gave out.

Pretty sure they knew how good he was then. Bird was 6-foot-9 and had as good an inside-outside game as anybody in the NBA at that time.

37 minutes ago, RPM said:

Bird was doing mystical things until his back gave out.

And he fucked his back up putting in a driveway for his mom, instead of hiring someone to do it.

He likely would have been done after Magic had to hang it up, anyway, bad back or not. The Magic/Bird doc has him saying the desire left him when Magic made his announcement. 

28 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Kareem and West's reviews can suck it.  This show is freaking awsome and I laugh out loud 30 times per episode.  

I understand why they don't like it.

Kareem is 100% right in that all of the characters are caricatures of the real people. I think most people here understand that; but most of the public, writ large, will think these are realistic interpretations of how these guys were/are. That would probably be pretty frustrating if you were one of the people who were actually there and involved. 

But it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the show one bit. I understand that this is a fanciful telling of what really happened, but I'm still loving it.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Given all the interest in this now there will probably be a documentary at some point where they will contrast events with this show. In the meantime I will take this over the top version because its flat awesome. 

They Call Me Magic, the documentary series about Magic and Showtime, is being released Friday on Apple+. I bet it will do some of just that. 

3 hours ago, bullzak said:

Given all the interest in this now there will probably be a documentary at some point where they will contrast events with this show. In the meantime I will take this over the top version because its flat awesome. 

3 hours ago, lateshow said:

They Call Me Magic, the documentary series about Magic and Showtime, is being released Friday on Apple+. I bet it will do some of just that. 

https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r

For those of you who are interested in exploring what really happened, I suggest you watch the excellent documentary They Call Me Magic on Apple TV+. Also, the Lakers have produced a 10-part docuseries, with the cooperation of all the players involved, which will be released later this summer on Hulu directed by Antoine Fuqua.

23 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Watching those old clips of Bird, he doesn't look unathletic at all.  His chase-down block on Magic was athletic AF. He had very quick feet and hands. Real talk: If he was a black dude, nobody would be saying he was unathletic.

Yeah...hard to be on of the all-time greats in the NBA playing during the 80's and be unathletic. He just looked like he was. 

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

The Apple TV documentary and the player-approved Hulu show will garner 1/10th of the buzz of this show, if that.  I sympathize with the people who are being misrepresented, but a show about Magic and Jerry Buss banging all the tail in America while everyone else acts like batshit crazy lunatics is ultimately way more entertaining than a show of dudes saying “Everyone was wonderful, and now let me show you which game it was where I learned to trust that Magic would find me on the break.”

This series will probably drive more people to watch the documentary.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah...hard to be on of the all-time greats in the NBA playing during the 80's and be unathletic. He just looked like he was. 

He was a white guy playing in the NBA. Saying he was unathletic is simply the default response. 

36 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Watching those old clips of Bird, he doesn't look unathletic at all.  His chase-down block on Magic was athletic AF. He had very quick feet and hands. Real talk: If he was a black dude, nobody would be saying he was unathletic.

there's also a lot of people who for whatever reason only see Larry Bird circa 1992 whenever they think of him, not realizing/remembering that he was plenty athletic in his prime. 

The NBA would be more interesting if they did rule throwback games instead of jersey throwback games.

The 82 game grind is boring as shit so let’s spice it up:

-5 games where hand checking is allowed.

-5 games without the 3 point line.

-5 games without a restricted area arc.

-5 games with a FIBA style key.

-5 games with a 15 second shot clock.

-5 games where the shot clock resets after touching the backboard.

-5 games with the 2006 synthetic microfiber ball everyone hated.

-5 games where all foul shots in the act of shooting are 2 shots (even beyond 3 pt line).

-5 games with no defensive 3 second rule. 

-5 games where only 6 secs allowed to advance ball past midcourt.

-5 games with 2 timeouts per quarter. This includes the 4th quarter.

-5 games with no Hack-a-Shaq FT rules

Let’s see how people react to the game this way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Bird was like 6’9 230.  The fact that he did anything more than just park in the post and body people, especially in that era, means he was very athletic for his size.   Plus, it was like Dirk and KD where even if you could guard him it didn’t really matter.  He could shoot over you anyway and was such a good shooter that he’d make it if he was dialed in no matter what you did. 

f63e9e8baf52821bbfde68fb4e49eeab.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

The NBA would be more interesting if they did rule throwback games instead of jersey throwback games.

The 82 game grind is boring as shit so let’s spice it up:

-5 games where hand checking is allowed.

-5 games without the 3 point line.

-5 games without a restricted area arc.

-5 games with a FIBA style key.

-5 games with a 15 second shot clock.

-5 games where the shot clock resets after touching the backboard.

-5 games with the 2006 synthetic microfiber ball everyone hated.

-5 games where all foul shots in the act of shooting are 2 shots (even beyond 3 pt line).

-5 games with no defensive 3 second rule. 

-5 games where only 6 secs allowed to advance ball past midcourt.

-5 games with 2 timeouts per quarter. This includes the 4th quarter.

-5 games with no Hack-a-Shaq FT rules

Let’s see how people react to the game this way. 

Bring back old school illegal defense so it's possible to post up on the low block again.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I understand why they don't like it.

Kareem is 100% right in that all of the characters are caricatures of the real people. I think most people here understand that; but most of the public, writ large, will think these are realistic interpretations of how these guys were/are. That would probably be pretty frustrating if you were one of the people who were actually there and involved. 

But it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the show one bit. I understand that this is a fanciful telling of what really happened, but I'm still loving it.

the funny thing is even though the characters are caricatures they are all likeable. So its not like they are doing some great disservice to them.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

the funny thing is even though the characters are caricatures they are all likeable. So its not like they are doing some great disservice to them.

Kareem has always been a curmudgeon. Read the Showtime book. Even his teammates complained about him running hot and cold.