winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

10 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Ford Fairlane is an underrated flick

Never saw it. But he was good in Casual Sex. He also appeared in an episode of MASH. I was disappointed that his standup schtick found an audience. That just turned me off.

And speaking of the Lakers, remember when Jeanie Buss appeared in Playboy? I like small-breasted gals. You can search out the rest of those pics pretty easily.

jeanie-buss.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Loved all of the stuff with Buss and Red Auerbach. 

Reiley continues to kill it.

Yeah, I'm really digging all of the behind-the-scenes stuff.  Magic could have been completely missing from that episode, and it would have been just fine by me.  I'm hoping this kind of stuff continues throughout the season.

Reilly deserves all of the awards.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I'm really digging all of the behind-the-scenes stuff.  Magic could have been completely missing from that episode, and it would have been just fine by me.  I'm hoping this kind of stuff continues throughout the season.

Reilly deserves all of the awards.

Yep.

I'm also very much looking forward to more stuff with surly/grumpy Kareem.

I thought this whole thing would be way too over the top, and it is, but I am loving it. 

Reilly as Jerry Buss is an awesome casting decision. He's killing it. 

Still want to back story on whether Jerry West was that insane. Guy won 8 titles as a front office Exec. He had to do something right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

I know Will Ferrell is upset he didn't get the role, but I can't imagine him being close to Reilly on this one. 

Reilly is just living in this role. I don't know how else to describe, and yeah, I don't think Ferrell could do it as well as he did (even with Ferrell's serious work).

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bullzak said:

Still want to back story on whether Jerry West was that insane. Guy won 8 titles as a front office Exec. He had to do something right. 

He knew how to build teams and hire the right coaches.  Lakers won a title pretty damned quick, not long after he stepped back and switched to I think scouting for a few years.

Honestly, there's quite a few coaches who could have won title with the teams that West built.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I know Will Ferrell is upset he didn't get the role, but I can't imagine him being close to Reilly on this one. 

If this show is anywhere close to accurate he’s single handily made me seriously question my dumbass teenage Celtic fanhood and ponder that maybe the Lakers didn’t suck after all 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

If this show is anywhere close to accurate he’s single handily made me seriously question my dumbass teenage Celtic fanhood and ponder that maybe the Lakers didn’t suck after all 

You should be ashamed of yourself.  

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Buss looked more like Jerry Stiller.

images (2).jpeg

Edited by Deej

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Buss looked more like Jerry Stiller.

images (2).jpeg

A buddy and I went to game 6 of the Lakers/Spurs playoff series in 2004.  We got hooked up with club passes beforehand and were cocktailiing out on the patio on the second level.  A limo pulls up on Chick Hearn Ct, the crowd parts and Buss gets out with 3 of the hottest chicks ever.  The crowd erupts in cheers.  He was living the dream.  And the Lakers won the game and series that night.

This is without a doubt, the most ridiculous, over-the-top show I've watched in a long time. And I cannot wait for the next episode.

And for the record, Will Ferrell could have easily played Jerry Buss. Everyone in this show is a cartoon character and if you haven't noticed, Will Ferrell has made a career out of playing cartoon characters.

Also, I really want that Pro-Keds Shirt Magic was wearing.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

First of all, I'm loving this show more than anything I've seen in a long, long time. Totally different but it's giving me Ted Lasso S1 good vibes. It's fantastic.

However, I'm feeling icky how it's making me root for the Lakers, a franchise I've abhorred my entire life. I hate the Lakers more than any other team, more than the New York Yankees. And, yet, here I am -- rooting for plucky, upstart Dr Jerry Buss! Wow.

Let's also tap the brakes on Jerry West's winning eight titles as an executive here. The '80s dynasty was built for the most part by drafting Magic (which he apparently vehemently opposed) and then he signed Shaq as a FA, traded for Kobe who wouldn't play for Charlotte and then hired Phil Jackson. After Shaq leaves, the Lakers are basically given Pau Gasol and win a few more titles under his watch. Good executive, sure, but a lot of that was being the right man in the right place at the right time.

Edited by C-Man
Forgot that Jerry retired from LAL in 2000 and then went to the Memphis Grizzlies, where he basically "gifted" Pau Gasol to his old team

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

However, I'm feeling icky how it's making me root for the Lakers, a franchise I've abhorred my entire life. I hate the Lakers more than any other team, more than the New York Yankees. And, yet, here I am -- rooting for plucky, upstart Dr Jerry Buss! Wow.

That's because he reminds you of many Surly posters - gets a PhD in chemistry or whatever, does research, teaching, etc., then goes into real estate and development.

And this is pretty much how we wake up in the mornings

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9ZhIYSjmRfKnmcKo0IYB

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's because he reminds you of many Surly posters - gets a PhD in chemistry or whatever, does research, teaching, etc., then goes into real estate and development.

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

image.gif.e6bc6a3d5fdde7589c05f29e25ea0fb2.gif

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

What a fun show. Loving the style and the storytelling.

John C Reilly is pretty much perfect.

Yup really damn enjoyable.  I’m learning new things about storylines and characters.  Hoping West sticks around lol… he rivaled Buss and almost stole that episode. 

I think I mentioned I bought the book after hearing Jeff Pearlman on The Hang Zone/Ticket here in Dallas last week. I just opened it up and read the Prologue this afternoon. I never knew the Jack McKinney story. I just knew that he started the 79-80 season as the HC for the Lakers but Paul Westhead took over for some reason after 13 games. Tragic what happened to him.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Show is great, but 3 episodes in and we aren't even to training camp yet.  It's still fun, but not sure how much post year 1 we are going to get of the dynasty.

I don't believe we are getting past season 1 at all. I read somewhere (Variety maybe?) that this show only covers the 1979-80 season. 

I think the idea is that we all know how it turns out, but this series shows how all of the pieces were put into place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't believe we are getting past season 1 at all. I read somewhere (Variety maybe?) that this show only covers the 1979-80 season. 

I think the idea is that we all know how it turns out, but this series shows how all of the pieces were put into place.

That's probably the only way to go if you only have 10 episodes.

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

At this point I really just want a series about Buss/West/Riley.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 4:49 PM, C-Man said:

Let's also tap the brakes on Jerry West's winning eight titles as an executive here. The '80s dynasty was built for the most part by drafting Magic (which he apparently vehemently opposed) and then he signed Shaq as a FA, traded for Kobe who wouldn't play for Charlotte and then hired Phil Jackson. After Shaq leaves, the Lakers are basically given Pau Gasol and win a few more titles under his watch. Good executive, sure, but a lot of that was being the right man in the right place at the right time.

Well it is a bit coincidental that the Grizzlies got better under his watch and Golden State won 2 titles after he got there.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I don't want to read the whole thread in an effort to glean the answer myself, but is this show enjoyable for wives who are only casual basketball fans? Or is this pretty much a just a show for sports fans? 

I think it’ll lean more like Ted Lasso… the focus isn’t really on the sport but more the personalities and drama around it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

Well it is a bit coincidental that the Grizzlies got better under his watch and Golden State won 2 titles after he got there.

This.  West was more than competent as an assessor of basketball talent - playing and coaching.  He was just a master of self-torment to the point that he couldn't effectively coach a team himself.   He recognized he could be more effective one rung removed from coaching the players directly.  He was so incredibly masterful as a player,  it makes sense to me that he struggled with removing his own talent and experience as a player from coaching and developing others.  

28 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I don't want to read the whole thread in an effort to glean the answer myself, but is this show enjoyable for wives who are only casual basketball fans? Or is this pretty much a just a show for sports fans? 

Probably.  We are three episodes in, and there's been very little basketball.  It's all about the personalities.

It could very well be John C. Reilly's magnum opus.

Tell your wife that Sally Field is in it.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

The scene with Buss shellacking his combover reminded me of Christian Bale’s ritual in American Hustle.  Nearly lost it when Sark sarcastically complimented it at dinner and proceeded to take down Buss. Basset hound 

LOL I thought the same thing.  "He had this comb-over that was quite... elaborate..."

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

My wife doesn't care about NBA and she loves it. This show way exceeds my expectations. Never really seen anything like it and the story hasn't really even gotten going yet. Its a great watch. It will send you out to do some Google searches for sure

• Hook 'Em 1

Great ep 3.  I feel like they have told a lot of story/background in just 3 episodes...almost feels like we are halfway through the season.  Maybe because all of it is fairly new story to me (at least the parts that are true).  No dull moments...expect maybe too much time on the Riley depression at home, but still done well lol.

37 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Great ep 3.  I feel like they have told a lot of story/background in just 3 episodes...almost feels like we are halfway through the season.  Maybe because all of it is fairly new story to me (at least the parts that are true).  No dull moments...expect maybe too much time on the Riley depression at home, but still done well lol.

There’s 10 episodes

1 hour ago, WBT said:

The casting for this has been great.  I really liked Brody as Riley.  Although I think nicking yourself in the leg with a chainsaw would be a bigger deal than it was made out to be.

it was just a flesh wound

• Haha 2