Texas at Texas Tech Tuesday Feb 1st, 2022 ESPN2 8pm CT

LTtxfan

Pretty funny... 😋

Mark Adams Flips Old Chris Beard Joke Before Matchup

Rob Breaux  Published: January 30, 2022

attachment-1dx10285.JPG?w=980&q=75

On the National Championship run Chris Beard had this running joke about anyone needing tickets, they can call Mark Adams. Hotel accommodations? Call Mark Adams. The joke was so prevalent that people started tweeting at Mark Adams for tickets and hotels.

Obviously, the joke got a lot of run on the way to the National Championship game, but it continued throughout Beard's time at Texas Tech.

When Chris Beard left and Adams was hired. Adams joked that Beard offered him a chance to wear orange and to sit on a middle seat on the plane to Austin, neither of which Adams wanted to do.

That joke was incredible but seemed out of the ordinary for Adams to be cracking wise to the general Texas Tech fan. Adams was the serious one. The no-nonsense general of culture and defense. He's got a personality and sense of humor too? You bet he does and he showed it off in advance of Beard's return trip to Lubbock for a sold-out matchup with Texas Tech and the Longhorns at the United Supermarkets Arena.

All Adams needed to do was hit Twitter with a simple message, "Need tickets to the game? Contact Chris Beard."

Expertly done by Mark Adams. Well crafted, short, and to the point. Most fans got it as well with nearly four thousand likes at the time of publishing.

People also flooded the comments with Mark Adams' quotes and quips.

• Haha 1

No. 13 Texas Tech ready to wrestle with Chris Beard, Texas

By FLM        18 hrs ago

No. 13 Texas Tech is pulling out all the stops to "welcome" former coach Chris Beard when Texas visits the South Plains on Tuesday for a much-anticipated Big 12 Conference dustup.

The best revenge the Red Raiders can take on Beard for switching allegiances will be to beat his surging Longhorns and take another step forward in league play.

Beard left Lubbock and its beloved fan base last April to take over the Texas program and created plenty of hurt feelings that haven't been soothed over the past 10 months. The Longhorns are prepared for an intense atmosphere as Red Raiders officials have brought in wrestling legend and wild man Ric Flair to rile up the sold-out crowd and keep it at a fever pitch.

The Red Raiders likely don't need all the hysterics to get a leg up on the Longhorns; the kind of basketball they have been playing of late can get the job done. They enter Tuesday ranked and with a healthy roster that earned a 76-50 victory at home over Mississippi State on Saturday in a SEC/Big 12 Challenge contest.

Adonis Arms had a season-best 16 points with seven assists for Texas Tech (16-5, 5-3 Big 12). Kevin Obanor had 13 points and Mylik Wilson added 12 for the Red Raiders, who shot a season-best 61.7 percent (29 of 47) from the field.

"We did a great job of being physical with (Mississippi State) and had great intensity on defense throughout the game," Texas Tech coach Mark Adams said. "It's always exciting when you can share the ball and spread the points around. You look down our lineup and we have a lot of guys that can score double figures -- nearly the entire team can."

Texas Tech is 13-0 at home after outscoring Mississippi State 44-16 in the paint and limiting the Bulldogs to just 39.6 percent shooting. The Red Raiders also recorded 20 assists, tying a season high.

"I know we'll have a great crowd, a lot of energy, and it will be really loud Tuesday," Adams said. "We can all count on that. And I hope that our team is ready for a very tough, physical team that Texas has."

The Longhorns (16-5, 5-3) head north after a 52-51 win at home over No. 18 Tennessee on Saturday in another SEC/Big 12 Challenge game. Texas squandered a 17-point lead, allowing the Volunteers to tie the game at 51-all as it scored just one point in the last 5:32.

But that point was the difference. Timmy Allen's free throw with 6.2 seconds to play was the game-winner.

Courtney Ramey scored a season-high 18 points for the Longhorns, with Allen adding nine points. Texas is 16-0 this season when holding its opponents below 60 points and won their third straight game, including its first over a ranked team.

"We're just focused on ourselves," Allen said. "You know, there's a lot of hate, a lot of rah-rah going on about (Tuesday's game), but we're going into the game with one goal. We understand it's going be a hostile environment, but we think we're built for this."

Do people really care about Ric Flair anymore? 80s-90s wrestling was like 20 years before any of these players were born. Plus he’s had like 5 failed marriages, and basically went broke. Maybe that explains why he’s going to Lubbock. It just seems sad more than cool, but what the hell do I know. 

3 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Do people really care about Ric Flair anymore? 80s-90s wrestling was like 20 years before any of these players were born. Plus he’s had like 5 failed marriages, and basically went broke. Maybe that explains why he’s going to Lubbock. It just seems sad more than cool, but what the hell do I know. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Ric Flair has always sucked. He straight ripped off another wrestler’s bit and added the most vapid, uncreative catch phrase of all time. Nobody over the age of 15 should have ever thought he was cool. It comes as no surprise to me that he’s a dumb fuck loser who has stacked failed marriages, gone broke, and jumped at the chance to become the face of sad sack celebrities still clinging to the past.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Last time I spent $1,900 on something in Lubbock...was with my buddy Craig.  Not saying what we spent the $1,900 on, but we got 5 for that price and it didn't turn out so well.

From Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Mac Engel
Mon, January 31, 2022, 2:53 PM

Ever since April Fool’s Day, every single person associated with Texas Tech has waited for this week because they all feel like they were treated like fools.

It’s neither fair, nor is it even right, but Chris Beard is the face of the betrayal every single Texas Tech fan feels towards the University of Texas.  In the span of four months last year, Texas Tech lost its revered men’s basketball coach to Texas, and then its century-long conference affiliation with the Longhorns to the SEC.

Beard to Texas is trauma. Texas leaving its conference relationship with Texas Tech is torture.

Beard flew with Texas Tech only to land at Texas, and now the coach who had the Red Raiders within seconds of winning a national title in 2019 returns to The Plains for the first time since UT announced his hiring on April 1, 2021.

The No. 14 Red Raiders will host Beard’s No. 24 Longhorns on Tuesday night in the most anticipated college basketball game in this state since Feb. 11, 2008, when No. 11 Texas defeated No. 3 Kansas.

The Red Raiders have some things they need to get off their chest, and they couldn’t do it last fall because their football game against the Longhorns was played in Austin.

“In the 30 years of covering it, I have never seen anything like this for a regular season game,” said longtime Lubbock sports radio talk show host, Ryan Hyatt. “Heck, I haven’t seen many football games that rivaled this anticipation level.”

Beard better mask up. And wear a protective face shield. And put on gloves. And maybe a hazmat suit. After all of that is on, he should put on body armor, too.

This particular edition of Texas at Texas Tech is the rare instance when a basketball game in Texas feels like Tobacco Road in North Carolina when the Tar Heels play the Duke Blue Devils.

A local attorney in Lubbock hired retired wrestling star Ric “The Nature Boy” Flair to come to Lubbock to help promote a game that didn’t need any of his trademark “WOOOOOS!”

This event does have a Vince McMahon, WWE-feel, but there is nothing scripted or staged about the animosity and anger Texas Tech fans feel toward Beard and Texas right now.

Texas Tech students started lining up outside United Supermarkets Arena on Saturday night for this game; don’t worry, mom and dad, they got their homework done.

Tickets on the secondary market for this game run anywhere between $235 and $1,859. You can normally get into a Texas Tech basketball game for $30 or so, maybe less.

If Texas Tech is able to do it, and the Red Raiders have the players to pull it off, they need to run it up. Don’t clear the bench to let the walk-on hit the jumper with 45 seconds remaining in the game.

This game requires the Red Raiders to go full Billy Tubbs on Texas, and leave in all of the starters to score as many points as possible to humiliate Texas, and Beard.

Texas Tech will play at Texas on Feb. 19, but the Red Raiders have one shot to take their shot.

The feelings will start to fade after Tuesday night, so they need to do everything they need to do, say everything they need to say, and slam every dunk they need to dunk. Right now.

Everyone associated with Texas Tech needs to try to rid themselves of their anger at UT, and then celebrate what Mark Adams is doing in Beard’s place.

There was nothing Texas Tech, athletic director Kirby Hocutt, or any member of the Tech board, could have done to keep Beard. He wanted to go to Austin.

He had a great run in Lubbock, and he’s a wonderful steward for a sport in a state that needs more personalities like his.

Texas Tech has several reasons to channel its anger toward Beard and Texas, and Tuesday night is the Red Raiders’ chance to let them have it.

Don’t blow it, but then it’s time to move on because that’s exactly what they did.

• Rage+1 1

I don't blame Beard for the decision he made, especially knowing now some stuff that wasn't public knowledge then. His refusal to let Tech counter is the only part that irked me at the time.  Bottom line is that there was no easy way to make everything happen, and it's not like there is a lot of love for Texas coming from the South Plains, anyhoo...

He'll be fine at Texas, even if some Texas folks are pissed/ worried because he's not 20-2 and blowing out everyone 78-50.  I admire him as a coach and even with all of the supposed 'advantages at the Forty, he still has had to put in incredible work.  It will pay off, and it could be this season.  I think when this year is over, Texas fans will not only have the hope for the future, but also a good start to build on.

Mark Adams has made a very, very tough hand that he was dealt into a possible winner, regardless of what happens 1FEB22. I love the team.  I love what mark Adams has done to keep the Tech Hoops program on track.  Virtually nobody expected it to be like this at this point.   It's like he never wavered from what he knew had to be done.  He ain't sexy or flashy, but holy shit can he coach college basketball.

As for our fans, hey no guarantees, but absolutely no opposing player or coach should be fucked with beyond banter/ funny chants/ shirts/ whatever.   I wouldn't go to this game even if it was free.  I've said through the years I much prefer road games.  That stands for this tilt too.  No desire to be in that mess tomorrow night.  I still sincerely hope we beat your ass though!

Wreck em!!!

He didn’t give Tech a chance to counter because he had no interest in staying. 

I’m glad this has worked out for both sides. I would guess Texas will drop the game tomorrow night and that Tech fans will show their typical class. I hope it’s not all that bad, Tech is doing great in basketball so that should be celebrated.

If something bad happens, I can see Texas ending this relationship for good once the SEC move happens. That would be a shame.

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

He didn’t give Tech a chance to counter because he had no interest in staying. 

Fine.  It doesn't mean that dynamic is reasonable or classy, given the investment and, at least publicly, the great relationship shared between Beard and Tech.

Ghosting is shitty character, and that's the root of the animosity towards Beard.  He doesn't just get a free pass.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Beard ditched UNLV after 19 days bc of one phone call from Tech. That’s the business, get off your high horse. 

Yep. You can do almost any deceitful, underhanded unethical thing in the world so long as you blame it on the cost of doing business. There are few dirtier businesses anywhere outside of college sports.