Texas at Texas Tech Tuesday Feb 1st, 2022 ESPN2 8pm CT

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hey Geoff Texas beat Kansas by 25 in Lawrence last year but I know it's hard to get all of those brain cells firing after you've made it through 12 tenders and 6 pieces of toast from Raising Cane's. 

Given the quantity of fried chicken I just ate, I'm gonna have to sit this one out.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

And its that history that means he could ditch Texas one day. I can promise you'll see a level of butthurt from our fansbase if that happens that will surpass Tech's fans. For all his positives as a coach, I suspect he may be one of those guys that will always have a wandering eye. Consider his quote after ditching UNLV

We're his home for now, but who knows if some other shiny job wont catch his eye in 5 years. Yeah yeah, he's at his true alma mater. Its not clear to me that means that much to Beard. The Texas Job was a better job than the Tech, so he made his decision. His history shows he's intent on climbing the ladder and Texas aint the top rung.  Its not about being in a position to win a National Championship, he proved that was possible at Tech up 68-65 with 20 seconds to go against UVA.

But thats the nature of hiring these kinds of guys. Hopefully we get the same reward that Tech got so close to. We can certainly match any money, but prestige is a different matter. Lot of winning that needs to happen between now and then for that to be a concern. 

If he leaves Texas for a better job (Duke, Kentucky etc) I’ll bet my left testicle we won’t be as bitter as Tech fans. Beard was literally the best thing to ever happen to that program. 

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

If he leaves Texas for a better job (Duke, Kentucky etc) I’ll bet my left testicle we won’t be as bitter as Tech fans. Beard was literally the best thing to ever happen to that program. 

It is interesting to think who he would leave for, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, maybe UCLA or Indiana?   I'm not sure there are many more he'd leave for.  Michigan State/Syracuse?

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Goddamn that game was glorious. I hardly remember any regular season games from that far back but I remember that one, the bar I was at, the people I was with etc....TJ just cock slapped them silly in the 2nd half.

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- A Texas sophomore ruined Oklahoma's senior
day.

T.J. Ford, after scoring just four points in the first half, led
No. 4 Texas back from a 15-point second-half deficit as the
Longhorns ended No. 5 Oklahoma's 37-game home winning streak
Saturday with a 76-71 victory.

Ford scored 14 second-half points, all in the final 10 minutes,
as Texas (22-5, 13-3) swept the season series from the Sooners and
locked up the No. 2 seed in next week's Big 12 tournament.

"When we got up 15, you could tell he was like, 'I'm tired of
these plays, I want to go make plays,''' Oklahoma coach Kelvin
Sampson said of Ford.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It is interesting to think who he would leave for, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, maybe UCLA or Indiana?   I'm not sure there are many more he'd leave for.  Michigan State/Syracuse?

Duke is going through anyone and everyone tangentially associated with Mike Krzyzewski before they ever get to Beard, whose only connection is that they were both mentored by Bobby Knight. UNC doesn’t have another Roy Williams out there, but I don’t feel like they’re ready to go outside the family if/when Davis doesn’t work out. I guess KU is a possibility after Self steps down. Beard does idolize their fan base and AFH. I’m just curious with the way athletics is going how they’re going to fare money wise. I know they have some wealthy alumni, but football is an albatross, and until they get into a different conference, the Big 12 is going to turn into a financial handicap as well. Neither UCLA nor Indiana has ever shown an appetite to pay their head coach a competitive salary in today’s terms. Indiana has other issues as well facilities wise and an administrative commitment to winning, which is a part of why they’ve become so irrelevant. 

Michigan State and Syracuse aren’t really blue bloods. They are better basketball schools for sure. I guess if he wins at a high enough level to be picked to follow Boeheim/Izzy, but hasn’t gotten the support from the fan base he feels like he’s earned, maybe. 

I think it’s really Kentucky or no one. I said that about Barnes in his heyday, too. He had his shot, but chose to stick with Durant in his postseason award tour instead, and Kentucky went after Gillespie. I feel like Kentucky would always be a threat. And the NBA, if a team wants to take a shot at him. He’d have to change how he approaches the offensive end, but that might excite him. 

Anyway, it would be a nice problem to have. 

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Duke is going through anyone and everyone tangentially associated with Mike Krzyzewski before they ever get to Beard, whose only connection is that they were both mentored by Bobby Knight. UNC doesn’t have another Roy Williams out there, but I don’t feel like they’re ready to go outside the family if/when Davis doesn’t work out. I guess KU is a possibility after Self steps down. Beard does idolize their fan base and AFH. I’m just curious with the way athletics is going how they’re going to fare money wise. I know they have some wealthy alumni, but football is an albatross, and until they get into a different conference, the Big 12 is going to turn into a financial handicap as well. Neither UCLA nor Indiana has ever shown an appetite to pay their head coach a competitive salary in today’s terms. Indiana has other issues as well facilities wise and an administrative commitment to winning, which is a part of why they’ve become so irrelevant. 

Michigan State and Syracuse aren’t really blue bloods. They are better basketball schools for sure. I guess if he wins at a high enough level to be picked to follow Boeheim/Izzy, but hasn’t gotten the support from the fan base he feels like he’s earned, maybe. 

I think it’s really Kentucky or no one. I said that about Barnes in his heyday, too. He had his shot, but chose to stick with Durant in his postseason award tour instead, and Kentucky went after Gillespie. I feel like Kentucky would always be a threat. And the NBA, if a team wants to take a shot at him. He’d have to change how he approaches the offensive end, but that might excite him. 

Anyway, it would be a nice problem to have. 

don't disagree. my point was if school X rolled up and said "we have an opening and you are our guy" who would he leave for?  this would assume the money is equal to what he's paid currently.

anyway, cart/horse and all.

Beard isn't leaving Texas to go to another college program you melancholy, hand-wringing doomsayers. 

You all realize (of anyone that played college) Texas landed the greatest basketball player since Wake Forest nabbed Tim Duncan almost 30 years ago. 

There really aren't many spots better to win at. And at none of them did Beard get his GA. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, ztejas said:

Beard isn't leaving Texas to go to another college program you melancholy, hand-wringing doomsayers. 

You all realize Texas landed the greatest basketball player since Wake Forest nabbed Tim Duncan almost 30 years ago. 

There really aren't many spots better to win at. And at none of them did Beard get his GA. 

Who is being a melancholy hand wringing doomsayer? I’m not emotionally invested in any of these outcomes. Win me a championship and I don’t give a shit where you head off to. 

I just know Barnes was a cunt’s hair away from taking a job I said for years was the only threat, but Kentucky didn’t want to wait until after awards season, and Barnes didn’t want to leave before Durant picked up all his postseason accolades. 

I also know I don’t believe a word of what Beard says when he talks up Texas. Not that he’s lying, but that he’s fully capable of saying the same things about the next place he’s at, just like he’s said those things with complete conviction every where else he’s been, too. It doesn’t bother me. It’s part of the job, and he’s really good at that part. But I can admire the way he goes about selling his belief and conviction while realizing that’s more about him and how he approaches the job than it is a reflection of reality. 

I also know it’s really tough to leave Texas. In any sport. So good luck with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Who is being a melancholy hand wringing doomsayer? I’m not emotionally invested in any of these outcomes. Win me a championship and I don’t give a shit where you head off to. 

I just know Barnes was a cunt’s hair away from taking a job I said for years was the only threat, but Kentucky didn’t want to wait until after awards season, and Barnes didn’t want to leave before Durant picked up all his postseason accolades. 

I also know I don’t believe a word of what Beard says when he talks up Texas. Not that he’s lying, but that he’s fully capable of saying the same things about the next place he’s at, just like he’s said those things with complete conviction every where else he’s been, too. It doesn’t bother me. It’s part of the job, and he’s really good at that part. But I can admire the way he goes about selling his belief and conviction while realizing that’s more about him and how he approaches the job than it is a reflection of reality. 

I also know it’s really tough to leave Texas. In any sport. So good luck with that. 

You know there's times you can save the board a few hundred words. Especially when you're obviously in step with the point I made.

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You know there's times you can save the board a few hundred words. Especially when you're obviously in step with the point I made.

We’ve gone down this path before. Do you feel like you’re going to change my behavior? I mean, mention my voluminousness all you want. I have no intention of keeping in mind the board’s apparent word quota at any point, ever. 

If you have someone specific you’re addressing, by all means address them. 

40 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We’ve gone down this path before. Do you feel like you’re going to change my behavior? I mean, mention my voluminousness all you want. I have no intention of keeping in mind the board’s apparent word quota at any point, ever. 

If you have someone specific you’re addressing, by all means address them. 

Jesus. Got me all hypocritical in here with my initial take. 

If you're going to quote me and immediately object to what I'm saying can you not make it some meandering post that arrives at the same idea? 

I guess that's my point. 

Edited by ztejas

Some of you old guys getting so butt-hurt over what a bunch of teenagers from Dallas are shouting in Lubbock may need to take a break from basketball.   The way the energy for this thing is trending, Texas should be the favorite to win this one.  They haven't been this worked up about playing Texas in basketball in the past, because if we're being honest it's just not that big of a game most years. UT is a football school and likely always will be.  All of the anger is about the way Beard left, which too many seem to be clueless about, and not about the Longhorns.  Beard is a great coach but not a great guy.  Both programs will move on after this month.  

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it but I haven’t seen any Longhorn fans butthurt. We are laughing at the Tech retards and I think this atmosphere is great for the sport and our team.

Also, Blotto’s take is absurd. Beard leaves Texas in one of 2 ways - either he’s a tremendous success here and goes on to a better job or he fails and is kindly asked to leave like Shaka. Neither scenario results in a meltdown by our fan base.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Some of you old guys getting so butt-hurt over what a bunch of teenagers from Dallas are shouting in Lubbock may need to take a break from basketball.   The way the energy for this thing is trending, Texas should be the favorite to win this one.  They haven't been this worked up about playing Texas in basketball in the past, because if we're being honest it's just not that big of a game most years. UT is a football school and likely always will be.  All of the anger is about the way Beard left, which too many seem to be clueless about, and not about the Longhorns.  Beard is a great coach but not a great guy.  Both programs will move on after this month.  

When someone invests a huge amount of anger and bitterness in the program/team that you love, there's going to be a reaction to it. That's not about being old. That's about being human. I don't think any of us take Texas Tech all that seriously, to be honest. They have a good basketball program (and baseball, for that matter). Adams has done a really great job in his first year. Congrats to the Red Raiders. 

As far as basketball, overall Texas is a much better program than Tech, and after this flash of respectability passes for the folks in Lubbock, Texas will be a much better program in the future as well. That's the reason Beard left that job in the first place. He took a step up the career ladder. No hard feelings. 

Unfortunately, for political reasons we've been saddled with this albatross of a 25 year contract to play Texas Tech in football after we leave for the SEC, so we'll have that burden to bear. But basketball will no longer be a part of the picture. So let the Red Raider fans get all their anger and frustration out in basketball while they can. Shout Fuck UT. Fuck Chris Beard. Whatever. This is a short term deal. As long as they don't throw batteries and full water bottles at the coaches and players, we'll be okay. The sad thing is, I feel like the edgiest part of that fan base is fully capable of that. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It would need to be the NBA, and I don’t think he’s a good fit at all, there. The blue bloods in basketball are UCLA, KU, UK, Duke, UNC, and Indiana. The only one of those that might hire him away is Kentucky. The Louisville job is now open. It’s a top ten job in the country. Are they a legitimate threat? Because I don’t see it. Is he going to Syracuse when Boheim retires? Seriously doubt it. There just aren’t any good options, frankly. 

So basically Kentucky. 

I do find it somewhat amusing that Texas fans love to tell other fans about how to deal with the loss of their coach we hired away. Like Texas fans ever have to deal with that. Let Tech fans get butt hurt. Remember Tuberville leaving during the recruiting banquet? I have this image of him slinking out the window of the bathroom in the restaurant they were in. Even if that’s not the case, I like to think it. Oh, and that’s SENATOR Tuberville, now. 

Anyway, I do agree with the concept. He’s never put down roots before. He’s full of shit in many ways (not actually a criticism - I don’t mind it the way I did with Mack Brown). He loves taking on new challenges. If there were more legitimate options for him to go to I’d agree wholeheartedly. 

When is the last time a Texas men's coach left voluntarily for another college job ?

13 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Unfortunately, for political reasons we've been saddled with this albatross of a 25 year contract to play Texas Tech in football after we leave for the SEC, so we'll have that burden to bear.

That was reported as not actually a done deal. Tech spoke out of turn -probably out of wishful thinking. 

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

When is the last time a Texas men's coach left voluntarily for another college job ?

I don't know of one, unless you count Shaka Smart, which I don't.

The only one I know of that left for another college job was women's swimming and diving head coach, Richard Quick, who went to Stanford after winning 5 national titles in a row at Texas, but that was primarily because of a bitter divorce. He then won 7 national titles in Palo Alto, and later went on to Auburn, where he won another national title, before succumbing to brain cancer.

The only other coach who left for another job was Mick Haley, the coach of the women's volleyball team. He won 2 national titles at Texas, then left to be the full time coach of the national team, in part because he and the administration couldn't come to an agreement on compensation and resources devoted to the women's volleyball program.

And that's it. I don't know of anyone else. And that's over a 50 year time period.

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If Tech fans truly belief they ended up with the better coach in Adams, then they wouldn’t be acting like they are now. 

It is just pure butthurt - you stole our coach and then you ditched us for the SEC.  They're big mad about those things. 

11 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s time to embrace being the bad guy I think.  From last week to this week now nationally for games the chant will be fuck UT instead of just horns down, especially once we join the sec and those trash fans.  I just hope we are better at football and basketball then. 

It's all very weird. We haven't been good for years and other schools seem to hate us more than ever. I don't get it. Well, I get Tech being mad with the coach move. But it's weird that it's not "Fuck Coach Beard" but "Fuck UT."

The entire horns down thing is just an Internet meme that's blown up. It all came about because of officials in football issuing those weird guidelines about if it was taunting or not. From there it just blew up as if the school was complaining about it.

Meanwhile, at least in football OU is dragging the rest of the conference through the mud each year and no one seems to care about them. Kansas is the same in basketball. It's just insane to me and makes zero sense. 

Mad cause we're leaving the conference? Hell four other teams did it a decade ago! I don't see people bitching about Missouri or Colorado bolting.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hey Geoff Texas beat Kansas by 25 in Lawrence last year but I know it's hard to get all of those brain cells firing after you've made it through 12 tenders and 6 pieces of toast from Raising Cane's. 

Fuck raising canes and the horrific food poisoning I got there and I’ll never go back. 

I want to like tech. I mean, they are like your slow-witted but mostly nice cousin you see once in a while at the family reunion. Not retarded, but not quite all there. They live in the trailer park and claim to like it that way. Their septic system is on its last legs and they don't really have potable water and everything in their garden is stunted and wilted. But they like to party and for the most part you can look past their faults. 

But every once in a while they get a burr in their saddle and have to be put down. 

That time is coming. 

Edited by Asithappens

15 hours ago, Blotto said:

And its that history that means he could ditch Texas one day. I can promise you'll see a level of butthurt from our fansbase if that happens that will surpass Tech's fans. For all his positives as a coach, I suspect he may be one of those guys that will always have a wandering eye. Consider his quote after ditching UNLV

We're his home for now, but who knows if some other shiny job wont catch his eye in 5 years. Yeah yeah, he's at his true alma mater. Its not clear to me that means that much to Beard. The Texas Job was a better job than the Tech, so he made his decision. His history shows he's intent on climbing the ladder and Texas aint the top rung.  Its not about being in a position to win a National Championship, he proved that was possible at Tech up 68-65 with 20 seconds to go against UVA.

But thats the nature of hiring these kinds of guys. Hopefully we get the same reward that Tech got so close to. We can certainly match any money, but prestige is a different matter. Lot of winning that needs to happen between now and then for that to be a concern. 

I promise you Texas fans won't be nearly as butthurt as Tech fans are on this.

26 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I fully expect a ass raping tonight and if that doesn’t happen I can be surprised. We aren’t a good road team and we’re about to get tech best performance and focus of the season. I’m thinking 83-61 loss. 

I’m with you. This game feels like found money. We win, it’s such a kick in the nuts for the Tech fans. And a really nice win against a high quality team. All this shit talking is taking away from the job Adams has actually done with this team, which is super impressive. 

Lose, regardless of margin, and I hope to get them when they return to Austin. I sure don’t want to lose to both Tech and ISU, though. Need a win in one of these games this week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m with you. This game feels like found money. We win, it’s such a kick in the nuts for the Tech fans. And a really nice win against a high quality team. All this shit talking is taking away from the job Adams has actually done with this team, which is super impressive. 

Lose, regardless of margin, and I hope to get them when they return to Austin. I sure don’t want to lose to both Tech and ISU, though. Need a win in one of these games this week. 

It's really set up to be hilarious if we lose for sure.

It's hilarious seeing Tech fans to a man claiming that they're not upset that Beard left, it's just the way he left that's so upsetting.  lol like come on you can admit that his leaving period is at least partially responsible this nonstop hysteria and obsession.  It's also hilarious to see them trot out message board grown rumors about Beard being a liar, a conman, a criminal, etc., etc., etc., all of which Tech was apparently totally unaware of until it became public that he was leaving lmao.  Grow the fuck up.

Edited by Starfleet Command

I keep reading that Tech fans are astronomically butt hurt not because Beard left Lubbock for UT but because of the way he left. Can someone connect the dots for me? I know he met CDC at a McDonald’s or something… is that it? To me it seems like these cry babies are grasping at straws to justify why their feelings are hurt. What are the concrete facts that make Beard’s decision such a moral abomination?

edit: weird timing with the above post.

Edited by CheesePie