Texas at Texas Tech Tuesday Feb 1st, 2022 ESPN2 8pm CT

LTtxfan

11 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

I keep reading that Tech fans are astronomically butt hurt not because Beard left Lubbock for UT but because of the way he left. Can someone connect the dots for me? I know he met CDC at a McDonald’s or something… is that it? To me it seems like these cry babies are grasping at straws to justify why their feelings are hurt. What are the concrete facts that make Beard’s decision such a moral abomination?

A break-up is a break-up.  If you are on the receiving end of it, you are naturally going to have some ill-feelings towards the one who did the breaking up, even if you end up with someone better.

That said, I think Chris Beard being upset that Mark Adams didn't get on the plane and the fact that he took a couple of players (well, one was a committed recruit) made it seem like to many that it wasn't enough that he broke up with Tech, but that it appeared he also wanted to sabotage the program in the process (appeared to, to many).

So it's like the girl breaking up with you to date one of your arch rivals (yes, with our history and the competitiveness of the two programs, we are in this instance rivals) AND also trying to prevent you from dating other girls as well.  There's going to be a bit of animosity there.

Now, with all that said, I don't hate CB and I wish our fans would be rowdy and loud tonight but also respectful and clean about it as well.  I do feel like we ended up with the better coach, and I hope our fans realize that their actions tonight need to be as much about appreciating MA as anything.  I also don't have a good feeling about tonight because the hype is now beyond ridiculous.  Our team will probably come out super tight and UT is going to play with nothing to lose.  That's a really, really bad combination for the good guys (those in red and black :) )

Edited by Uncle Nate
  • Hook 'Em 1

Please someone direct me to Beard being a butthurt baby because Adams didn't follow him and took the Tech job instead. Most coaches would be pretty thrilled for their former lead assistant to land the HC job.  Mark Adams took a risk that day in not going to Austin and it paid off for him.  I'm sure Beard is very happy for him. 

22 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

I keep reading that Tech fans are astronomically butt hurt not because Beard left Lubbock for UT but because of the way he left. Can someone connect the dots for me? I know he met CDC at a McDonald’s or something… is that it? To me it seems like these cry babies are grasping at straws to justify why their feelings are hurt. What are the concrete facts that make Beard’s decision such a moral abomination?

edit: weird timing with the above post.

It was more that he left and didn't allow them to counter offer.  He basically said, "I don't care what you're willing to pay me, I want to go to Austin and get the fuck out of Lubbock."  This confirmed all Tech's deep seeded feelings about being a little brother, inferior school, in a shitty town.  While ever increasing the jealousy of what we have in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

You guys have gone beyond comedic now trying to act like there's no reason in the world that Tech fans should have any animosity toward Beard. "How dare they speak ill of UT and Beard...don't they know we are superior to them and they should thank us for taking their coach?"  LOL.   I'm willing to bet the majority of you still haven't gotten over some girl who broke up with you in jr high/high school/college.  

If you were being completely honest with yourselves, deep down you wish your student fanbase had even a tenth of the passion that the Tech students are displaying now.

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

A break-up is a break-up.  If you are on the receiving end of it, you are naturally going to have some ill-feelings towards the one who did the breaking up, even if you end up with someone better.

That said, I think Chris Beard being upset that Mark Adams didn't get on the plane and the fact that he took a couple of players (well, one was a committed recruit) made it seem like to many that it wasn't enough that he broke up with Tech, but that it appeared he also wanted to sabotage the program in the process (appeared to, to many).

So it's like the girl breaking up with you to date one of your arch rivals (yes, with our history and the competitiveness of the two programs, we are in this instance rivals) AND also trying to prevent you from dating other girls as well.  There's going to be a bit of animosity there.

Now, with all that said, I don't hate CB and I wish our fans would be rowdy and loud tonight but also respectful and clean about it as well.  I do feel like we ended up with the better coach, and I hope our fans realize that their actions tonight need to be as much about appreciating MA as anything.  I also don't have a good feeling about tonight because the hype is now beyond ridiculous.  Our team will probably come out super tight and UT is going to play with nothing to lose.  That's a really, really bad combination for the good guys (those in red and black :) )

Hahahahaha. WTF? You saying it doesn't make it so. I know fans of schools like an academic shithole such as Tech can never wrap their tiny heads around this concept, but Texas fans don't consider Tech a rival on any level, in anything. You can want that to be different as much as you like, and tell your buddies that in your Tech circle jerks of mediocre school cameraderie, but it will not be any more true from our end. It doesn't matter if Tech sweeps Texas in every sport from here until Texas exits the conference, we'll see it no differently. 

Also, the fan fiction and logical absurdity around Beard having the audacity to want to bring Adams along and then being furious when he didn't join in is really good shit. Keep bringing that kind of unintentional humor to the board, please.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

head coaches leaving for another job NEVER want to take their lead assistant with them.  this is literally the only time that has ever happened in sports so you can understand why tech fans would be upset about that.

Also, no fan has ever been upset about their coach leaving. What an insane world we live in!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Please someone direct me to Beard being a butthurt baby because Adams didn't follow him and took the Tech job instead. Most coaches would be pretty thrilled for their former lead assistant to land the HC job.  Mark Adams took a risk that day in not going to Austin and it paid off for him.  I'm sure Beard is very happy for him. 

He was certainly blowing up Adams' phone about it and told him that we'd never hire him because he was too old and boring. I get why he was doing it, he wanted Adams with him, but he was kind of a dick about it. I think Adams took exception to being gaslit instead of being talked to like an adult.

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It was more that he left and didn't allow them to counter offer.  He basically said, "I don't care what you're willing to pay me, I want to go to Austin and get the fuck out of Lubbock."  This confirmed all Tech's deep seeded feelings about being a little brother, inferior school, in a shitty town.  While ever increasing the jealousy of what we have in Austin.

I think this is on the mark. I have some family that went to Tech and they go out of their way to brag nonstop about what an awesome town Lubbock is and how nice and friendly the people are compared to the rude, obnoxious people who inhabit the crime infested hellscapes of Dallas, Houston, SA, and especially Austin. 

1 minute ago, Brian Fantana said:

He was certainly blowing up Adams' phone about it and told him that we'd never hire him because he was too old and boring. I get why he was doing it, he wanted Adams with him, but he was kind of a dick about it. I think Adams took exception to being gaslit instead of being talked to like an adult.

I'd love to read some reporting on this.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Also, no fan has ever been upset about their coach leaving. What an insane world we live in!

Upset? sure. Do you think the temperature in Lubbock is reasonable? Seems desperate camping out for days en masse to shout obscenities at the guy who left. Never mind the Ric Flair stupidity. Real cool program you have there. I’m sure there’s nothing embarrassing to you about this circus 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I think this is on the mark. I have some family that went to Tech and they go out of their way to brag nonstop about what an awesome town Lubbock is and how nice and friendly the people are compared to the rude, obnoxious people who inhabit the crime infested hellscapes of Dallas, Houston, SA, and especially Austin. 

I saw on twitter someone was bragging, "We even have 2 HEBs!!!"  LMFAO

• Haha 2

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Upset? sure. Do you think the temperature in Lubbock is reasonable? Seems desperate camping out for days en masse to shout obscenities at the guy who left. Never mind the Ric Flair stupidity. Real cool program you have there. I’m sure there’s nothing embarrassing to you about this circus 

I really couldn't care less, as long as no one gets hurt and they don't do anything illegal. Mean words don't really move the needle for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This isn't the first time Tech students have camped out for a game...football or basketball.  They've done it before.  Duke students do it as well.

Just because it is a foreign concept at a school like UT whose students have zero passion for these games, doesn't mean it doesn't happen at schools with passionate fanbases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I'd love to read some reporting on this.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

As would I. 

Same here. I don't like to bring it up because it's secondhand info from Adams himself to one of our radio commentators. It's highly unlikely Adams would ever go into detail about anything that was said in the aftermath to the press.

And like I said, I don't blame Beard for doing it if it's true, it's just that I understand if Adams took exception to the way it was handled.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

This isn't the first time Tech students have camped out for a game...football or basketball.  They've done it before.  Duke students do it as well.

Just because it is a foreign concept at a school like UT whose students have zero passion for these games to go to class to earn a degree, doesn't mean it doesn't happen at schools with passionate fanbases.

FIFY

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

You guys have gone beyond comedic now trying to act like there's no reason in the world that Tech fans should have any animosity toward Beard. "How dare they speak ill of UT and Beard...don't they know we are superior to them and they should thank us for taking their coach?"  LOL.   I'm willing to bet the majority of you still haven't gotten over some girl who broke up with you in jr high/high school/college.  

If you were being completely honest with yourselves, deep down you wish your student fanbase had even a tenth of the passion that the Tech students are displaying now.

There it is. On the twitter posts about the team arriving in Lubbock last night, the comments were FULL of red raiders parroting the lines, like they're rehearsed. I can just hear every shitty diner in Lubbock "He can kiss my ass! They don't even go to games in Austin, they're too busy going to their antifa marches!" Every single post had at least 2-3 comments about how the Longhorns are reveling in the hate because "they're just happy to have fans"..... Like we just fucking sold out the Erwin Center 3 days ago. At 10% more capacity than Tech's home floor. Gtfoh. Between the basketball game or attending the 3rd different frat house backyard bonfire in the beginning of the semester, I get it, the Raiders would choose to go to the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

head coaches leaving for another job NEVER want to take their lead assistant with them.  this is literally the only time that has ever happened in sports so you can understand why tech fans would be upset about that.

Look, there are people claiming they want to know why Texas Tech fans are mad, but the truth is most of us don't really care. I don't care. Be mad.

That said, here are the reasons. They are very legitimate in the sense that human beings have natural reactions, and what the Tech fan base is going through feels pretty natural to me. But while I can understand, I don't care, because I don't have to.

So let's go through it.

The first thing to understand is Texas Tech's string of ineptitude. Gerald Myers was a damn good coach for 20 years from 1971 to 1991. James Dickey replaced him and had some very good seasons, including a 30-2 #3 seed and Sweet Sixteen appearance in 1996. However, widespread violations were found in the program the following year. The subsequent NCAA punishment gutted the program, and he was fired after 4 horrific seasons.

Gerald Myers was brought in as athletic director in 1996, and he hired legendary Bob Knight to be the basketball coach. Knight had a good run, because he's Bob Knight, but he never came close to the success he achieved at Indiana, because...well, it's Texas Tech. They did make a Sweet Sixteen in 2005 as a #6 seed by defeating #3 seed Gonzaga.

Bob Knight orchestrated his retirement in midseason in 2008 to ensure his son, Pat Knight, was named the head coach. Pat had a lackluster 3 seasons, failing to make the postseason each year before he was terminated.

Since they had so much success helping to partially rehabilitate Bob Knight's lasting image of being fired from Indiana, they decided to try with Billy Gillispie after his drunken sprawl across Lexington. That, however, only lasted on season after which he was fired for locking players in an electrical closet. No, wait. That was somebody else. Anyway, he was fired.

Because Joe B Hall and and Eddie Sutton weren't available, Tech chose to go after another Kentucky retread in Tubby Smith, having just been fired by Minnesota, and so conveniently looking for work. In Tubby's third year Tech finally made it back to the NCAA tournament after 9 long years. Immediately after that Tubby Smith quickly put Lubbock in his rear view mirror for the grassier confines of Memphis, after which he became persona non grata by the Tech faithful. Oh, wait. No, that didn't really happen.

In 2016 Chris Beard was hired after accepting the the UNLV job. As he explained at the time, he was coming home, based on his 10 years as an assistant under Bob and Pat Knight. Tech went 18-14 and 6-12 in conference. 

In Chris Beard's second season the Red Raiders went to the Elite Eight. Remember, prior to this they had had one tournament appearance in 11 years, and that was a first round loss led by a coach who immediately left for what he perceived to be a better job. It's not just that the team went 27-10, and tied for 2nd in the Big 12 with an 11-7 record. It's that much of what we see here at Texas, Beard did in Lubbock. Only the people of Lubbock are highly insecure, codependent, mental health wrecks of a fan base, so Beard's folksy aspirations, his constant validation of them as people of the earth, and his constant message that they were special, really resonated. It helped build a fantastic, motivated fan base.

The next season - Beard's third - they went 31-7 and 14-4 in conference. They walloped #2 seed Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen, defeated #1 seed Gonzaga, took out #2 seeded Michigan State in the semifinal, then lost to #1 seed Virginia in overtime in the national championship game.

Afterwards, it was true love. Beard had keys to the city, and to the Tech fans' collective hearts. They believed he'd never leave them. 2020 was the Covid year, and then 2021 Tech made it back to the tournament, but lost in the 2nd round. Final records were 18-13, and 18-11 respectively, with a 9-9 and 9-8 finish in conference play, so nothing special. There wasn't any real fear when the Texas job opened up, as Beard was one of them.

When it came out he'd accepted the Texas job, the Tech fans focused on the skullduggery. Him and the Texas AD had met in secret. Beard didn't give Tech an opportunity to respond to UT's offer. Beard brow beat Mark Adams into coming with him, telling Adams he had no chance of getting the head coaching job, and so just give it up already (I have no idea how true this is, but it's gospel from the Tech side of things). All of it showed Beard never meant all those sweet nothings he whispered in the Tech fans' ears. They were all lies. And like any good victim mentality, instead of looking at it rationally and realizing Beard had a job to do and did it to the best of his ability, they were angry. ANGRY!!!

He stole players! It turns out the whole team was going to transfer anyway because they were sick of playing for Beard. He erased all the recruiting info from the Texas Tech hard drives. He treated his long time friend Mark Adams like crap, simply to get him to give up trying to get the head coaching job at Tech to come be his assistant in Austin. He stole the lunch money from elementary kids. He seduced donors' wives. He conducted Satanic ceremonies in the university library. He was just plain evil, but this didn't become apparent until AFTER he'd taken the Texas job. Suddenly, the veil had been lifted from everyone's eyes. They'd been duped! By a master college basketball criminal! A practitioner of the dark arts, who'd used his skills to hoodwink them all!

And sure, they ended up with the architect of Beard's success anyway, after the job had been turned down by a former Tech player in the NBA and they went to Mark Adams as a fallback. Adams was the TRUE head coach responsible for all that success! And, sure enough, Adams has been genuinely impressive, with his evaluations, putting together his roster, convincing players to stick around, and his recruiting has been good so far, too. From the games I've seen, Tech is the better basketball team right now, and Adams deserves the lion's share of credit for that.

That said, this isn't about college basketball any more. This is about good versus evil. Not only is Beard an obvious Nazi sympathizer who eats babies for breakfast, but he went to worst place possible. Their hated rival! Never mind it's a one way rivalry, and Texas is mostly hated for all the things we're always hated for. Or that Beard is a Texas graduate. The Texas Tech sense of justice has been horribly impugned! There must be reparations! They must exact their pound of flesh! Make sure he knows EXACTLY how they feel about his two faced, no good characterless so and so. Fuck Chris Beard! Fuck UT! Let it be our rallying cry!

Whatever.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Look, there are people claiming they want to know why Texas Tech fans are mad, but the truth is most of us don't really care. I don't care. Be mad.

That said, here are the reasons. They are very legitimate in the sense that human beings have natural reactions, and what the Tech fan base is going through feels pretty natural to me. But while I can understand, I don't care, because I don't have to.

So let's go through it.

The first thing to understand is Texas Tech's string of ineptitude. Gerald Myers was a damn good coach for 20 years from 1971 to 1991. James Dickey replaced him and had some very good seasons, including a 30-2 #3 seed and Sweet Sixteen appearance in 1996. However, widespread violations were found in the program the following year. The subsequent NCAA punishment gutted the program, and he was fired after 4 horrific seasons.

Gerald Myers was brought in as athletic director in 1996, and he hired legendary Bob Knight to be the basketball coach. Knight had a good run, because he's Bob Knight, but he never came close to the success he achieved at Indiana, because...well, it's Texas Tech. They did make a Sweet Sixteen in 2005 as a #6 seed by defeating #3 seed Gonzaga.

Bob Knight orchestrated his retirement in midseason in 2008 to ensure his son, Pat Knight, was named the head coach. Pat had a lackluster 3 seasons, failing to make the postseason each year before he was terminated.

Since they had so much success helping to partially rehabilitate Bob Knight's lasting image of being fired from Indiana, they decided to try with Billy Gillispie after his drunken sprawl across Lexington. That, however, only lasted on season after which he was fired for locking players in an electrical closet. No, wait. That was somebody else. Anyway, he was fired.

Because Joe B Hall and and Eddie Sutton weren't available, Tech chose to go after another Kentucky retread in Tubby Smith, having just been fired by Minnesota, and so conveniently looking for work. In Tubby's third year Tech finally made it back to the NCAA tournament after 9 long years. Immediately after that Tubby Smith quickly put Lubbock in his rear view mirror for the grassier confines of Memphis, after which he became persona non grata by the Tech faithful. Oh, wait. No, that didn't really happen.

In 2016 Chris Beard was hired after accepting the the UNLV job. As he explained at the time, he was coming home, based on his 10 years as an assistant under Bob and Pat Knight. Tech went 18-14 and 6-12 in conference. 

In Chris Beard's second season the Red Raiders went to the Elite Eight. Remember, prior to this they had had one tournament appearance in 11 years, and that was a first round loss led by a coach who immediately left for what he perceived to be a better job. It's not just that the team went 27-10, and tied for 2nd in the Big 12 with an 11-7 record. It's that much of what we see here at Texas, Beard did in Lubbock. Only the people of Lubbock are highly insecure, codependent, mental health wrecks of a fan base, so Beard's folksy aspirations, his constant validation of them as people of the earth, and his constant message that they were special, really resonated. It helped build a fantastic, motivated fan base.

The next season - Beard's third - they went 31-7 and 14-4 in conference. They walloped #2 seed Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen, defeated #1 seed Gonzaga, took out #2 seeded Michigan State in the semifinal, then lost to #1 seed Virginia in overtime in the national championship game.

Afterwards, it was true love. Beard had keys to the city, and to the Tech fans' collective hearts. They believed he'd never leave them. 2020 was the Covid year, and then 2021 Tech made it back to the tournament, but lost in the 2nd round. Final records were 18-13, and 18-11 respectively, with a 9-9 and 9-8 finish in conference play, so nothing special. There wasn't any real fear when the Texas job opened up, as Beard was one of them.

When it came out he'd accepted the Texas job, the Tech fans focused on the skullduggery. Him and the Texas AD had met in secret. Beard didn't give Tech an opportunity to respond to UT's offer. Beard brow beat Mark Adams into coming with him, telling Adams he had no chance of getting the head coaching job, and so just give it up already (I have no idea how true this is, but it's gospel from the Tech side of things). All of it showed Beard never meant all those sweet nothings he whispered in the Tech fans' ears. They were all lies. And like any good victim mentality, instead of looking at it rationally and realizing Beard had a job to do and did it to the best of his ability, they were angry. ANGRY!!!

He stole players! It turns out the whole team was going to transfer anyway because they were sick of playing for Beard. He erased all the recruiting info from the Texas Tech hard drives. He treated his long time friend Mark Adams like crap, simply to get him to give up trying to get the head coaching job at Tech to come be his assistant in Austin. He stole the lunch money from elementary kids. He seduced donors' wives. He conducted Satanic ceremonies in the university library. He was just plain evil, but this didn't become apparent until AFTER he'd taken the Texas job. Suddenly, the veil had been lifted from everyone's eyes. They'd been duped! By a master college basketball criminal! A practitioner of the dark arts, who'd used his skills to hoodwink them all!

And sure, they ended up with the architect of Beard's success anyway, after the job had been turned down by a former Tech player in the NBA and they went to Mark Adams as a fallback. Adams was the TRUE head coach responsible for all that success! And, sure enough, Adams has been genuinely impressive, with his evaluations, putting together his roster, convincing players to stick around, and his recruiting has been good so far, too. From the games I've seen, Tech is the better basketball team right now, and Adams deserves the lion's share of credit for that.

That said, this isn't about college basketball any more. This is about good versus evil. Not only is Beard an obvious Nazi sympathizer who eats babies for breakfast, but he went to worst place possible. Their hated rival! Never mind it's a one way rivalry, and Texas is mostly hated for all the things we're always hated for. Or that Beard is a Texas graduate. The Texas Tech sense of justice has been horribly impugned! There must be reparations! They must exact their pound of flesh! Make sure he knows EXACTLY how they feel about his two faced, no good characterless so and so. Fuck Chris Beard! Fuck UT! Let it be our rallying cry!

Whatever.

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Same here. I don't like to bring it up because it's secondhand info from Adams himself to one of our radio commentators. It's highly unlikely Adams would ever go into detail about anything that was said in the aftermath to the press.

And like I said, I don't blame Beard for doing it if it's true, it's just that I understand if Adams took exception to the way it was handled.

Here's my thing, though. Adams has already said him and Beard talk regularly, During his press conference he told reporters he talked to Beard last week, and then they just missed calls to one another later in the week. He's talked about Beard as his long time friend, but now they have a game to play against one another, and so that's what it's about. 

He poked fun at Beard for not wanting to take the middle seat on the plane to Austin, and then he did the twitter jab about go ask Chris Beard regarding tickets for the game, but both of them felt more like someone very comfortable with his relationship with Chris Beard, and wanting to give him shit. Not someone who is embittered about the man, or how he handled the exit. 

At the end of the day I'm sure on some level he's grateful for getting an opportunity to be on staff at Little Rock, and then again at Tech. Adams experienced success in his own basketball career, but being associated with Beard has helped open doors that might not have been available without him. There's a lot of honesty between the two of them, with a ton of bickering during games when Adams was his associate head coach. Adams was always known for never backing down to Beard regardless of the circumstances, so it's no real surprise he didn't back down when Beard went to Austin, either. It just doesn't seem to me like Adams has taken any of this remotely personally. So it's Tech fans getting mad on his behalf, even when Adams isn't all that mad.

Which is fine. But the demonization of Chris Beard is about Tech fans needing to do that for whatever catharsis they're seeking regarding their feelings about betrayal. Understand, that's a generalization, and doesn't apply to every single Tech fan. But it applies to a bunch of them. 

First, I enjoyed SL Xpress's lengthy prose.  Entertaining reads, with a good amount of fact and truth even if some of it is directed sarcastically at me, that made me chuckle.

Second, I think after tonight the overall animosity towards Beard will diminish...win or lose.  Going back to one of my previous posts, this is all pretty nature and just human nature.  After tonight, the powder keg will have been spent, and next year it won't be even close to this as far as "temperature".  Tech fans just need to release some steam.

Edited by Uncle Nate

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Here's my thing, though. Adams has already said him and Beard talk regularly, During his press conference he told reporters he talked to Beard last week, and then they just missed calls to one another later in the week. He's talked about Beard as his long time friend, but now they have a game to play against one another, and so that's what it's about. 

He poked fun at Beard for not wanting to take the middle seat on the plane to Austin, and then he did the twitter jab about go ask Chris Beard regarding tickets for the game, but both of them felt more like someone very comfortable with his relationship with Chris Beard, and wanting to give him shit. Not someone who is embittered about the man, or how he handled the exit. 

At the end of the day I'm sure on some level he's grateful for getting an opportunity to be on staff at Little Rock, and then again at Tech. Adams experienced success in his own basketball career, but being associated with Beard has helped open doors that might not have been available without him. There's a lot of honesty between the two of them, with a ton of bickering during games when Adams was his associate head coach. Adams was always known for never backing down to Beard regardless of the circumstances, so it's no real surprise he didn't back down when Beard went to Austin, either. It just doesn't seem to me like Adams has taken any of this remotely personally. So it's Tech fans getting mad on his behalf, even when Adams isn't all that mad.

Which is fine. But the demonization of Chris Beard is about Tech fans needing to do that for whatever catharsis they're seeking regarding their feelings about betrayal. Understand, that's a generalization, and doesn't apply to every single Tech fan. But it applies to a bunch of them. 

No I'm sure that's correct. They have been friends a long time. I'm sure he was miffed about how things went down for a brief period, but they absolutely are friends for sure. He's taking advantage of his opportunity and like I said earlier I'm happy for them both.

I also wish more Texas fans would take my example and just ignore it. The basketball is what's important to me, everything else is just noise. I don't give the smallest shit what some dumbass students are yelling. It's just words. Play the game.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Like 1

Yeah I don’t understand the “Get on the plane” shit that Tech fans keep whining about. From what I understand, Beard told him he wouldn’t get the Tech job and he should go with him to Austin. Im pretty sure Beard knew he would get the Tech job and he was trying to convince him to leave before they offered. This honestly doesn’t seem like it’s that big a fuckin deal but idk

So let's go through it.
Whatever.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Just because it is a foreign concept at a school like UT whose students have zero passion for these games, doesn't mean it doesn't happen at schools with passionate fanbases.

Let’s not pretend kids surrounded the TEXAS team bus and had to be escorted away because this is some Duke v UNC rivalry with top 5 teams and tournament seeding implications. This is more akin to a 3 year old ugly crying during a soccer scrimmage because some other kid kicked the ball and he didn’t get a chance. 

At UT we show up/sell out for legit matchups with national powerhouses. Not because our feewings were hurt

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

How do they figure they ended up with the better coach? The guy who left won in the big stage and took them to the finals and new guy had couple of good wins in season 1. Shaka Smart had some good wins at Texas.

Idk personally I don’t understand the Tech slobber fest right now. They have some solid wins but also lost to K-State. I don’t get the “they’re definitely a top ten team” the media is pushing but we’ll see

• Hook 'Em 1

Bitchmade post is bitchmade

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Idk personally I don’t understand the Tech slobber fest right now. They have some solid wins but also lost to K-State. I don’t get the “they’re definitely a top ten team” the media is pushing but we’ll see

You never know how good the assistant, who got promoted to HC, is in his first year, if the departing HC left the program in good shape. We will know more about Adams in Year 2 and onwards.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tech fans are funneling a lot of hate into this particular game, but I also don't know of any who would want to go back in time and have Beard decide to stay.   Whether Adams turns out to be the better coach or not remains to be seen, but the DNA of the program didn't get on the plane with Beard either, and that is why they're fired up about Adams.  Adams is having a a better first seasons than Beard had in his last two at Tech.  They have good reason for being excited.   Texas also has good reason for being excited, but the turnaround here may take more than a season or two.  Cultural shifts don't happen over night.  Adams was a big part of what Beard did in Lubbock, so he was able to build off of what was there (even though there weren't many players left). Beard is starting cold.

11 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

How do they figure they ended up with the better coach? The guy who left won in the big stage and took them to the finals and new guy had couple of good wins in season 1. Shaka Smart had some good wins at Texas.

This is the part I don’t think a lot of their fans (and ours probably) don’t understand. We won’t know who the better coach is after just 1 season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

that loss to k-state was their 4th game in 8 days.  they've beaten: tennessee at a neutral site, baylor on the road, kansas and iowa state at home, and took kansas to double overtime at the phog.  they are definitely legit.

which just makes the fit they continue to throw all the more embarrassing.

The Strawman argument is strong with this one. Literally no one here is saying they shouldn’t be upset about Beard leaving. I’m just a sucker for honesty. Tech fans are made because the greatest coach they ever had went to Texas. Just be honest about it

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

The Strawman argument is strong with this one. Literally no one here is saying they shouldn’t be upset about Beard leaving. I’m just a sucker for honesty. Tech fans are made because the greatest coach they ever had went to Texas. Just be honest about it

Ah come on...I'm not making a strawman argument.  Just responding to many of the comments in this thread where it seems the UT fans can't understand why the Tech fans have animosity toward Beard. Read some of these posts...it feels like Tech fans have to justify why they are upset with Beard.  To me, it seems pretty natural. 

I've also posted that I think after tonight it's all going to cool down dramatically and people aren't really going to care as much.  I also think this whole thing is detrimental to Tech's chances tonight.  It's all been way overblown and I have a bad feeling that UT is going to come out loose, Tech is going to come out way too amped up and tight, and that's a bad combination for the home team.

20 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You never know how good the assistant, who got promoted to HC, is in his first year, if the departing HC left the program in good shape. We will know more about Adams in Year 2 and onwards.

Program in good shape, but we had a skeleton roster when he left and most of the players we have weren't here and don't know Beard. Beard built the program up but Adams also did a lot of work in the transfer portal.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Program in good shape, but we had a skeleton roster when he left and most of the players we have weren't here and don't know Beard. Beard built the program up but Adams also did a lot of work in the transfer portal.

What I wouldn't give to have Arms and Williams for another couple of years.   One and done makes me both love and hate the transfer portal at the same time.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I may have some ill-feelings, but I'm damn sure not gonna let her know I give two shits about her ass -- much less throw a temper tantrum in public. That's the difference.

• Hook 'Em 1