Great artists you somehow missed

Goredho

On 2/3/2022 at 4:43 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I dismissed both AC/DC and the Ramones when I first heard them.  Took me a long time before I woke up and started appreciating them for what they are. 

I absolutely loved AC/DC as a kid, before thinking of them more as back ground music come high school and into adulthood.  In the last 5 years they've re-cemented themselves as one of my favorite bands, and possibly the pinnacle of hard rock (at least up through Back in Black).

On the other side of this, I've read people waxing poetic on the Ramones for years, and bought a ton of their records in my high school punk phase, but I've just never loved them, and I kinda don't think I ever will.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

For 2022 I've decided to listen to Rolling Stone's top 100 albums of all time (taken from their 2012 top 500 list). I've put the list in chronological order so that I can try to understand the significance of each album, getting an appreciation for the context into which they were released. I also read about the album and songs as I listen, and I'll look up some concert footage or videos for the stuff I'm not as familiar with. I realize it's a subjective list, but it's still already given me good insight and respect for some artists that I've never really listened to. I mean, I know it's probably sacrilege, but I've never been a big Bob Dylan or James Brown guy. I have always acknowledged their contributions, and I liked some of the songs I had always heard on the radio, but never really listened to full albums or dug into their catalogs. But now that I've heard their music more fully, and I can so clearly see how revolutionary their advances to modern music were, I really like them now. It's been a fun project, and one that can be done at my own leisurely pace -- highly recommend, if for no other reason that digging into James Brown led me to this unbelievable concert footage from 1964: 

• Like 1

For 2022 I've decided to listen to Rolling Stone's top 100 albums of all time (taken from their 2012 top 500 list). I've put the list in chronological order so that I can try to understand the significance of each album, getting an appreciation for the context into which they were released. I also read about the album and songs as I listen, and I'll look up some concert footage or videos for the stuff I'm not as familiar with. I realize it's a subjective list, but it's still already given me good insight and respect for some artists that I've never really listened to. I mean, I know it's probably sacrilege, but I've never been a big Bob Dylan or James Brown guy. I have always acknowledged their contributions, and I liked some of the songs I had always heard on the radio, but never really listened to full albums or dug into their catalogs. But now that I've heard their music more fully, and I can so clearly see how revolutionary their advances to modern music were, I really like them now. It's been a fun project, and one that can be done at my own leisurely pace -- highly recommend, if for no other reason that digging into James Brown led me to this unbelievable concert footage from 1964: 

This would make a cool thread

We've had this topic before, I think. For me, it's most likely Wilco. I remember hearing of Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt while at UT. I knew the "hit" song off Trace but it never grabbed me. A fellow young sportswriter buddy at the FWST burned a DVD/CD with all of Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Wilco albums up until then -- this was probably after Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out. I never really got around to trying it out. I actually attended at least two (maybe three) Wilco concerts with my ex-wife and her circle of friends, who were huge fans. Still didn't grab me. I finally started listening in earnest as my divorce was taking shape in 2011/12. Wilco is probably a top three artist for me now.

Oh, and I was even later to the Talking Heads' party. And Pavement. All I knew was "Cut Your Hair" and thought that was pretty dumb back in the early 90's.

I relate to a lot of the posts here and, likewise, Wilco I didn’t really dive into until around 2003 or 2004 also during a divorce. Now they (and tweedy) are part of my musical psyche. And Talking Heads I always liked but only started to truly appreciate in the last few years. It helps that a) my 4 year old truly loves “psycho killer” more than anything and, well, I’m neighbors now with Chris and Tina and they are truly nice people and neighbors in the ‘burbs just a few stops away from David still doing his thing on Broadway.

But back on topic, I had a great friend who passed away a few years ago who was a HUGE King Gizzard and the Wizard Lizard fan. A band I completely missed. And, honestly, I like a lot but also don’t really know if I know where to start with them, if that makes sense.

Two others in the spirit of the thread: Toto, Men at Work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

For 2022 I've decided to listen to Rolling Stone's top 100 albums of all time (taken from their 2012 top 500 list).

At the beginning of the quarantine, I did something like this but on a much, much smaller scale, because I was buying the albums. Anyway, I ended up getting Billy Joel - The Stranger and it's a really great album.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:19 PM, Lobo said:

Funny y'all should mentioned them/they...but listening to a lot of Genesis/Phil Collins lately (and the myriad incarnations thereof).  Like anybody our age, I liked the videos as a kid.  But never gave him a play on my radio show, never bought an album, I don't even think I ever owned a one-off download track.  But last few months, been listening to the hell out of 'em.  Always knew it was brilliant musicianship...but the songwriting itself holds up much better than I imagined it would, 30+ years later.  

And while always a casual fan, ever since he passed in 2020...been listening to the hell outta John Prine.  For 30 years of serious music listening, I heard his fingerprints on so much great music of other artists...but just never gave he, himself...much of a chance.  I regret that now, but making up for lost time has been great for my mood during Covid.  Range isn't the term for Prine, he's a continent sized mesa unto himself.  

Watch “Daddy and Them” sometime. I thought it was great. 

Yep, Fairfield. We are on the Westport side of the street and they are on the Fairfield side. Some of the best times we have had in our neighborhood have been skating on their pond. They’re really down to earth and nice. Their “nice” car is a Ford Escape that is at least 10 years old and I’ve only ever seen their son driving it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ha, well she is still very stylish and you can definitely see “it” but now 95% of the time anyone sees her is just out walking the dog so pretty low key. If you drove past her you would NEVER think “oh look, that woman walking her dog is one of the most significant musicians in the last 40 years of rock and roll…” but in a good way. And she’s out and about much less than Chris who is out walking every day. The first time I met him was small talking while our dogs were wrestling and only after we had walked off, my wife said she couldn’t believe I didn’t mention I was a drummer, and I was like, “Wait, THAT was him?!?!”

• Hook 'Em 2