TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Errol Flynn wasn’t a filmmaker. He was an actor. You study filmmakers and filmmaking in film school, not actors and acting. 

If they aren't teaching iconic films (and Flynn starred in at least 2), it ain't much of a film school.

18 minutes ago, RPM said:

If they aren't teaching iconic films (and Flynn starred in at least 2), it ain't much of a film school.

There are many iconic films. You should tell him to watch The Adventures of Robin Hood because it’s a great film but they’re not teaching it in film school. Believe it or not, they do more in film school than just sit around watching classic movies. They do some of that. A fair amount, actually, but there are just so many relevant movies. And a lot of what you watch isn’t made in Hollywood. There are important figures outside of the US who were instrumental in the development of the language of cinema which at its inception was essentially just pointing a stationary camera at a stage and filming a play.

You’ll start by learning the history of the medium, the invention of the process, and the evolution to where it is today. Instead of Errol Flynn, you’ll talk about Edison, Lumière, Méliès, Murnau, Griffith, Eisenstein, Riefenstahl, Capra, Welles, Fellini, Hitchcock, etc. You’ll learn the technical aspects about lighting and sound and composition and juxtaposition (I’m ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille) and editing. You’ll learn about scriptwriting, the construction of a script, and production management, how to take a script and work out how to produce a movie from it given a whole host of factors with consideration to cost and efficiency.

Plus you’ll spend time actually putting your lessons into practice and making your own movies. And then showing them. Your friend would be better off knowing who the Coen brothers are than who Errol Flynn is. But do him a favor and make him watch Robin Hood. If he doesn’t like it then, yeah, he’s lost all credibility.  :)

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

I bet the film school guy above knows who Randolph Scott is.

Again, actor not filmmaker. No one is teaching anything about Randolph Scott in film school. Or anything about the cheesy Western movies he starred in. Hell, I never knew his name outside of the Statler Brothers song until the last decade or so. And I only knew that from commercials I saw on tv.

Like I would ever own a recording by the Statler Brothers.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Again, actor not filmmaker. No one is teaching anything about Randolph Scott in film school. Or anything about the cheesy Western movies he starred in. Hell, I never knew his name outside of the Statler Brothers song until the last decade or so. And I only knew that from commercials I saw on tv.

I bet your Commie ass has no idea who Joel McCrea is. 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bullshit. Flynn made multiple movies with Michael Curtiz. Both Robin Hood and Charge of the light brigade would have been covered in any filmmaking curriculum. Therefore one should at the very least know Flynn’s name.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I bet your Commie ass has no idea who Joel McCrea is. 

Lulz. You think Naked and Afraid is a documentary. We’ve already established that you have pretty low standards when it comes to movies. You’re too easily amused. You’ll never be in a position to lecture me about filmmaking.

Commie? Where the fuck does that come from? Fuck you. How dare you?

Commie. Of all the fucking nerve. You don’t know shit you faux cinephile. 

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Bullshit. Flynn made multiple movies with Michael Curtiz. Both Robin Hood and Charge of the light brigade would have been covered in any filmmaking curriculum. Therefore one should at the very least know Flynn’s name.

I'm not sure how one goes thru film school, and doesn't know who actors are from past, and present. If you're interested in a particular field of study I'd think you'd immerse yourself in all aspects of it, not just the technical aspects, or from one side of the camera.  

To say you go to film school, and don't know who actors are, as you look at films, and study directors, and how a film was shot, and why, and WHO was in it seems odd. History by it's definition is a study of the past, and how does one study film without discussing the very objects of the camera lens.

For that matter I didn't go to film school, or watch silent films, but I know who the stars of that era were, and they were all dead and buried before I was even born. Any successful or intelligent student of the history of film is going to know who most if not who all actors, and directors were, and why they were important in their era (Flynn is about as iconic an actor as there's ever been).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You have no fucking idea who he is, do you? A man has to enter his house justified.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz. You think Naked and Afraid is a documentary. We’ve already established that you have pretty low standards when it comes to movies. You’re too easily amused. You’ll never be in a position to lecture me about filmmaking.

Does Humphrey Bogart or James Stewart ring a bell to you?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not sure how one goes thru film school, and doesn't know who actors are from past, and present. If you're interested in a particular field of study I'd think you'd immerse yourself in all aspects of it, not just the technical aspects, or from one side of the camera.  

To say you go to film school, and don't know who actors are, as you look at films, and study directors, and how a film was shot, and why, and WHO was in it seems odd. History by it's definition is a study of the past, and how does one study film without discussing the very objects of the camera lens.

For that matter I didn't go to film school, or watch silent films, but I know who the stars of that era were, and they were all dead and buried before I was even born. Any successful or intelligent student of the history of film is going to know who most if not who all actors, and directors were, and why they were important in their era (Flynn is about as iconic an actor as there's ever been).

If you are studying how Spielberg or Hitchcock’s films were made, you will at some point mention Hanks or Cary Grant. You may not study them, or know what they accomplished, but you know the names.

Famous directors or producers are linked at the hip by the famous actors that stared in their finest films.

So, to the original point. If you’re old enough to attend a college level course on film study, you should at least be aware of Flynn.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, miguelito said:

I bet the film school guy above knows who Randolph Scott is.

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Have you ever seen the movie Blazing Saddles?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty solid month, rock movies all month and celebrating the 75th anniv of Roswell with some sci-fi flicks later in the month.  Jack Lemmon three-fer tonight with Some Like It Hot (I know they show the hell out of this one...), The Apartment and Irma La Douce.  Followed by an Alex Cox double shot of Repo Man and Sid and Nancy early tomorrow morning.

4 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The Apartment is as good as it gets.

Fred MacMurray's daughter told a story of when a lady walked up to them at Disneyland and dressed him down over his behavior in The Apartment. He never played a bad guy after that.

Edited by RPM
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So my mom is a fan of spectrum news all day long as she contends with Alzheimer’s. I changed the channel early in the morning to tcm and it was Shelley Winters day. For some reason she and the dog were in their bedroom at 6 pm with the lights out. I was headed out the door for a game so don’t know what was going on or cared to find out. 

• 1 month later...