Art Fanatics Thread of Visual Dominance

HoustonHorn

Anyone else into art? A long time friend of mine is an incredible artist. Has never sold anything although he's given quite a few away, including several to me . In any event, he's not technologically savvy but I got him on IG last night as he's thinking about selling some stuff in the future. Not asking anyone to buy anything, they won't be cheap as he works on them for years, sometimes completely wiping out beautiful paintings and starting over. I bet some of his work had 20 or more paintings underneath.

But, he could use some followers and he's understandably nervous about making his work public and could use some positive vibes and feedback if you like his stuff. It isn't for everyone and he's only got 2 posts currently. These were tests last night so we're going to keep refining the photos and getting some macros well.

kdadams.art on IG

My dad and his wife are artists.  Paid the bills and raised two kids with art.  The talent skipped a generation with me but I appreciate art.  The mixing of old and new techniques is interesting to me.  Hand-drawn pictures with old real photos embedded, and then digitally altered and finally printed on an old-school printing press... I like stuff like that. 

Jake Bryer's digitally layers composite photographs are some of my favorite work from the last few years.  I have a few of his prints on my walls.  If you're looking for quality local art without pretentious gallery prices, check out Austin Art Garage hidden on South Lamar.  They have lots of work from local artists. 

Some of Jake's work:

https://austinartgarage.com/collections/jake-bryer

JB_locomotion_side_1200x.jpg?v=157126695

UT_Tower_Orange_side_900x.jpg?v=15712669

city_of_austin_side_900x.jpg?v=157126692

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have a really, really bad art habit.  the only good news is I think our walls are full. I have some on the wall now but more wrapped up in storage.  The art scene in Austin has really matured over the years.  I've purchased from Wally Workman, West Chelsea, Gray Duck, and at various galleries when we travel.  I'm actually glad we are nearly done.

representative pieces include:

America Martin:

(we have 3 of hers)

https://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/america-martin.html

spacer.png

Patrick Puckett:

https://www.patrickpuckett.com/2020-wally

(We actually own this one and another one)

spacer.png

Patricia Qualls (Carmel Valley, CA):

https://www.patriciaqualls.com/artists/30-patricia-qualls/

(We own 4-5 of hers)

PQ.jpg

Court Lurie:

(we own 2 of hers)

https://www.courtlurie.com/

CL.jpg

Ian Shults:

(we have one of his)

https://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/pdf_files/Ian_Schultz _PRE.pdf

https://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/ian-shults.html

spacer.png

we have a number of impressionst style landscapes of italy and greece that are tasteful.  some watercolors of West Texas. I'm sure more. I absolutely love art.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

I have some of my own on the walls in my kids rooms both my house and my ex’s. Patricia and I are rather close, I paint like her obviously not as marketable. I quit though.  I’ve got some final additions I’m looking at - mostly photography I’ll try and find some pics. 

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Anyone else into art? A long time friend of mine is an incredible artist. Has never sold anything although he's given quite a few away, including several to me emoji16.png. In any event, he's not technologically savvy but I got him on IG last night as he's thinking about selling some stuff in the future. Not asking anyone to buy anything, they won't be cheap as he works on them for years, sometimes completely wiping out beautiful paintings and starting over. I bet some of his work had 20 or more paintings underneath.

But, he could use some followers and he's understandably nervous about making his work public and could use some positive vibes and feedback if you like his stuff. It isn't for everyone and he's only got 2 posts currently. These were tests last night so we're going to keep refining the photos and getting some macros well.

kdadams.art on IG

I’ll follow him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

kdadams.art on IG

He certainly has nice work. I left a comment asking for more. That reworking thing is hard to break out of, seeking perfection. I used to do that. Then I noticed that all the stuff I hated sold the fastest. 

I still try to make things the best I can, but now my philosophy is if I mess up, sell it, and paint ten more.

• Hook 'Em 2

HH thanks for starting this thread and Troph - very nice works!  I am also an America Martin fan (203 Fine Art in Taos)...276F4FBE-F54F-4202-BD9C-3D542BA8D73A.thumb.jpeg.3e33bf9493443f455c7f6cae2ebc7711.jpeg

I started seriously collecting almost 20 yrs ago...mainly Taos and Santa Fe based contemporary artists and have focused on the Taos Moderns the last few years...Troph, if you listen to the radio interview America did in Austin that is archived on Wally Workman website she mentions her favorite living artist which is Tom Dixon in Taos.  Here is a few of his ....

9E3F6C4C-33E5-44BF-9226-69431B2B22EB.thumb.jpeg.c727ae57539c5e18285b15a7dca2d864.jpegEA562AFE-F03F-4057-8285-DD702AAC1FE4.thumb.jpeg.8f6cbc0da00364a0acd4f8a6cd579ae1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

My dad and his wife are artists.  Paid the bills and raised two kids with art.  The talent skipped a generation with me but I appreciate art.  The mixing of old and new techniques is interesting to me.  Hand-drawn pictures with old real photos embedded, and then digitally altered and finally printed on an old-school printing press... I like stuff like that. 
Jake Bryer's digitally layers composite photographs are some of my favorite work from the last few years.  I have a few of his prints on my walls.  If you're looking for quality local art without pretentious gallery prices, check out Austin Art Garage hidden on South Lamar.  They have lots of work from local artists. 
Some of Jake's work:
https://austinartgarage.com/collections/jake-bryer
JB_locomotion_side_1200x.jpg?v=1571266956
UT_Tower_Orange_side_900x.jpg?v=1571266912
city_of_austin_side_900x.jpg?v=1571266922

Very cool, I may pick some of this up. thank you.

I have a really, really bad art habit.  the only good news is I think our walls are full. I have some on the wall now but more wrapped up in storage.  The art scene in Austin has really matured over the years.  I've purchased from Wally Workman, West Chelsea, Gray Duck, and at various galleries when we travel.  I'm actually glad we are nearly done.
representative pieces include:
America Martin:
(we have 3 of hers)
https://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/america-martin.html
yty0ae4msynnw.jpg
Patrick Puckett:
https://www.patrickpuckett.com/2020-wally
(We actually own this one and another one)
Young_Men_and_Red_Pot.jpg?format=1000w
Patricia Qualls (Carmel Valley, CA):
https://www.patriciaqualls.com/artists/30-patricia-qualls/
(We own 4-5 of hers)

PQ.thumb.jpg.e9a8d52afb2e0acb92d9be7c9c2533bf.jpg

Court Lurie:
(we own 2 of hers)
https://www.courtlurie.com/

CL.thumb.jpg.a211354b54a5e4f727fd783766b74265.jpg

Ian Shults:
(we have one of his)
https://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/pdf_files/Ian_Schultz _PRE.pdf
https://www.wallyworkmangallery.com/ian-shults.html
otloqikzdtdfe.jpg

we have a number of impressionst style landscapes of italy and greece that are tasteful.  some watercolors of West Texas. I'm sure more. I absolutely love art.

Some cool shit here. Need to explore but not much in the way of free funds right now. Probably a terrible time to stay this thread in hindsight.

He certainly has nice work. I left a comment asking for more. That reworking thing is hard to break out of, seeking perfection. I used to do that. Then I noticed that all the stuff I hated sold the fastest. 
I still try to make things the best I can, but now my philosophy is if I mess up, sell it, and paint ten more.
I told him that he needs to take a picture at the end of each day or session or whatever and document all of the layers so that can be a part of the package he sells.

This one he worked on for a long time and then one day he decided he wanted to try and paint like a child would paint. So he let my young daughter paint over it. You can see the trees and objects that were there before, but it's all hidden now.

Artists are crazy. No offense to any of y'all, it's an awesome crazy. 20220113_210601.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If you did a few apes wearing ou hats while gobbling dicks you could make some coin around here.

Thank you. It's definitely eclectic but he just had piles of paintings. He's also not technology savvy so be patient with any interaction..

HH thanks for starting this thread and Troph - very nice works!  I am also an America Martin fan (203 Fine Art in Taos)...276F4FBE-F54F-4202-BD9C-3D542BA8D73A.thumb.jpeg.3e33bf9493443f455c7f6cae2ebc7711.jpeg
I started seriously collecting almost 20 yrs ago...mainly Taos and Santa Fe based contemporary artists and have focused on the Taos Moderns the last few years...Troph, if you listen to the radio interview America did in Austin that is archived on Wally Workman website she mentions her favorite living artist which is Tom Dixon in Taos.  Here is a few of his ....
9E3F6C4C-33E5-44BF-9226-69431B2B22EB.thumb.jpeg.c727ae57539c5e18285b15a7dca2d864.jpegEA562AFE-F03F-4057-8285-DD702AAC1FE4.thumb.jpeg.8f6cbc0da00364a0acd4f8a6cd579ae1.jpeg
Very cool. An artist I like from Santa Fe is having to move back to Australia and is selling his stuff at a pretty big discount.

www.kenbonner.com

20220113_210415.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am a huge art lover my entire life. My Grandfather, and my uncle are/were both fine artist painters.  I have the gene, but never had the time or inclination to develop the skill set.  I collect original poster art from the late 19th thru mid 20th century.

The poster below was the first of our collection. it's 10' tall, and laid rolled up in our first house for 5 years because we didn't have a wall tall enough to display it. I've added to that first poster over the years with probably another 15-20 or so original travel posters, ski posters, airline posters, and a few poreclain/ metal signs thrown in for good measure.

IMG_0610.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

I told him that he needs to take a picture at the end of each day or session or whatever and document all of the layers so that can be a part of the package he sells.

This one he worked on for a long time and then one day he decided he wanted to try and paint like a child would paint. So he let my young daughter paint over it. You can see the trees and objects that were there before, but it's all hidden now.

Artists are crazy. No offense to any of y'all, it's an awesome crazy. 20220113_210601.jpg

Artists are crazy....this one cracks me up every time I look at it but that’s the point of good art ...it’s the “gotcha” factor...5017CF9F-342F-42F3-9B26-68C7013F48AC.thumb.jpeg.ac4c749a6c68b8f7b612ed03e02c4391.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Artists are crazy....this one cracks me up every time I look at it but that’s the point of good art ...it’s the “gotcha” factor...5017CF9F-342F-42F3-9B26-68C7013F48AC.thumb.jpeg.ac4c749a6c68b8f7b612ed03e02c4391.jpeg
My friend would absolutely dig that. Art is so personal and it really is just something where the piece either grabs you right away or it doesn't. And some is about beauty and others are meant to provoke a visceral reaction. And while I may not love or even like something, I still appreciate it and the fact the artist is putting themselves out there.

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Very cool. An artist I like from Santa Fe is having to move back to Australia and is selling his stuff at a pretty big discount.

www.kenbonner.com

20220113_210415.jpg

That AM is superfly! Our large one is still wrapped in plastic waiting for our new house to be finished. Snapped a few actuals… light on these are mostly atrocious. Working out a proper light design now for our art in our new place. I think 4 others are missing from here as they are wrapped / stored waiting for the move. 

Patricia Qualls - at least one more in storage - bad light on this one too.

59489992-C666-4654-85F2-3C73AC891F52.jpeg

marion quick from marfa

FF8F93D5-81B2-402B-B459-B08BA616A9B0.jpeg

Most touristy piece we have/greece

FE4FA8EF-C368-4831-BC1C-2C50D8F4F313.jpeg

patricia Qualls - light is bad it’s not this brown

4C93F94E-EEA4-4D5E-8A52-FDF542042E64.jpeg

AM on paper - I kinda look like this, felt like a self portrait.  we had multiple I lost the others in my divorce. also couldn't quite afford a large one yet so settled for paper which was a lot less.

93C487D4-B61D-46E4-BE2C-49D263FD1FD2.jpeg

alexandra Eldridge - Santa Fe encaustic on wood. once upon a time I felt like I was trapped and only thriving in the enclosed space of a secret.  this spoke to me.

0A2C3299-3A02-4758-8C8E-352914E3390A.jpeg

what started it all - bought in cortona Italy in umbria, during siesta saw it waited for the shop to open distraught we couldn’t afford it didn’t care had art and amazing sex that night.

86480864-1FF2-4526-9577-EE2BDFEC33E3.jpeg

Our other Patrick puckett - another self portrait type - back when I had really short hair. don't ask me why my hair was short lol. she was my aspiration for a while. I'm long and slender, easy on the eyes but she's got a flat tummy, mine is a queso tummy. so I quit her original purpose, now I just love her for who she is.

448B0741-4611-49FB-95CB-354D5C52B359.jpeg

another AM on paper - lesbians duh

77297F38-B8C9-493A-B95F-ECBE4CB0043F.jpeg

court lurie 

73D38EE4-D393-4ED5-BDF2-AADF6471F694.jpeg

AM large painting of a large girl 

14D91E7A-3E3C-4073-ABFA-E0D4BB627A43.jpeg

rimi Yang bought this after my divorce something about her face captured me 

56D9BCD0-F4F8-41AA-A95D-7CC7C5D1C7FF.jpeg

out other court lurie - black hole and spiral black vortex - yeah this was another divorce purchase.

099604E1-61D7-4535-B489-106D72E6F860.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I agree art is about beauty and expression for expression's sake and many say that is frivolity - I say it is fundamental.  art is something I cannot live without and I am very grateful for the artists that speak to me and I am happy to do my best to support them as I can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, troph said:

That AM is superfly! Our large one is still wrapped in plastic waiting for our new house to be finished. Snapped a few actuals… light on these are mostly atrocious. Working out a proper light design now for our art in our new place. I think 4 others are missing from here as they are wrapped / stored waiting for the move. 

Patricia Qualls - at least one more in storage - bad light on this one too.

59489992-C666-4654-85F2-3C73AC891F52.jpeg

Patricia Qualls - light is bad it’s not this brown

4C93F94E-EEA4-4D5E-8A52-FDF542042E64.jpeg

Well, I fucking love these. That top one is FINE. Off to search Patricia Qualls. Now, if you're feeling that you aren't giving it the proper space and lighting, I'd be happy to just hold onto it for you.

I also just bought another Ken Bonner piece. F. My wife will be PISSED. It may have to go in my office for a while before I break the news.

Passionate Journey-Med Res.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I used to draw a lot as a kid, had some real talent, though unrefined. But I rarely finished anything. Other than a few art courses I didn't do enough training on the fundamentals. And I really regret it, because it got away from me and I always wish I could get the passion back. In more recent years I dabbled in some sculpture and really enjoyed it, but same sort of thing. I always go frustrated because I never learned how to properly do the armature that was necessary to sculpt over to get things to work out right. I would just focus more in the interesting details until the whole thing became unfixible. 

I've been looking at a lot of art online trying to get a spark back and motivate myself into digging into it again, going back to the beginning and learning things the right way. I I never feel right when I'm not creating something. I need to get it back. I wish I could get involved in a local group again and get motivated along with other people doing work, but I'm so far out of the loop now. I keep buying paints and sculpting medium of different types but still haven't been able to get it going again. It needs to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Some people don’t consider photography art. Some do, I am one of them. I have been doing photography since I was 17, taking breaks here and there. For the past 12-13 years it has been non stop. I have self published a couple of books and sell prints (not a lot, but usually 5-10 a year). I am about to put out another book of black and white work.

Not saying what I do is anything special, but it’s what I spend most of my free time doing. A few nice folks from this site have bought my books and prints.

Here is my kind of sort of portfolio album on Flickr. I am trying to quit Instagram, so not going to link that.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskz7i5wq

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Some people don’t consider photography art. Some do, I am one of them. I have been doing photography since I was 17, taking breaks here and there. For the past 12-13 years it has been non stop. I have self published a couple of books and sell prints (not a lot, but usually 5-10 a year). I am about to put out another book of black and white work.

Not saying what I do is anything special, but it’s what I spend most of my free time doing. A few nice folks from this site have bought my books and prints.

Here is my kind of sort of portfolio album on Flickr. I am trying to quit Instagram, so not going to link that.

Your photos are definitely art.

Beautiful images.

43 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Are there womens tits ? then yes it's art....

A few more Taos artists:

Jim Wagner (RIP he died this past May-iconic NM art figure - NM 6DD4A968-AE6E-48DF-893A-EF5DA0D393ED.thumb.jpeg.20f01788419d0e38900b51478e31bf78.jpegGovernors Award of Excellence in art 2013) 

If you ever stopped at the Old Blinking Light (OBL) in Taos (now the Medley restaurant) You will see this view of the El Salto mountain flanking the entrance to Hondo Canyon leading to Taos Ski Valley...Thomas Suriya (Famous muralist in LA who painted “You are the Star” mural on Wilcox St in Hollywood and painted in Taos a few years a decade ago but haven’t seen or heard from him in years...) 

39F8368C-637E-4A60-B8A9-CF952D6FC250.thumb.jpeg.0b6bd27f7a0aac27a6e5b51429e85d01.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Those are awesome dude. Really awesome. I wish I had a talent like that. 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Some photography is not art. Your photography? It’s art, you know it, we know it. You can sell that too. 100 prints max, even allow custom sizes and price accordingly. Those pieces I posted above are sold to spec. Smart idea. Texas art sells too. Selling isn’t everything, expression is but if you want some extra dollars you can make some cash if you aren’t already. No doubt about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Those are awesome dude. Really awesome. I wish I had a talent like that. 🙏

You’re talented you just can’t 

3 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My wife started life as a News Anchor and now is an artist and an art teacher.

14115535_10210232389908533_1522159761471280439_o (2).jpg

11226540_10206608577675492_7933434705371741923_n (2).jpg

13524331_10209736843880192_8241722990227653374_n (2).jpg

You married up bro. May have out kicked your coverage. Living the High life. Cheers! 

2 hours ago, DougO said:

I used to draw a lot as a kid, had some real talent, though unrefined. But I rarely finished anything. Other than a few art courses I didn't do enough training on the fundamentals. And I really regret it, because it got away from me and I always wish I could get the passion back. In more recent years I dabbled in some sculpture and really enjoyed it, but same sort of thing. I always go frustrated because I never learned how to properly do the armature that was necessary to sculpt over to get things to work out right. I would just focus more in the interesting details until the whole thing became unfixible. 

I've been looking at a lot of art online trying to get a spark back and motivate myself into digging into it again, going back to the beginning and learning things the right way. I I never feel right when I'm not creating something. I need to get it back. I wish I could get involved in a local group again and get motivated along with other people doing work, but I'm so far out of the loop now. I keep buying paints and sculpting medium of different types but still haven't been able to get it going again. It needs to happen.

I dig what you are saying. Got disappointed by art jobs early on and would turn my back on it, sometimes for a decade at a time. Used to have unused art materials sitting around forever, I was just frozen and couldn't get started.

One thing that turned it around for me, and maybe it only works for my personality but who knows, maybe for you too, is to "put two zeroes on it." By which I mean, don't try to do one thing, try to do 100 things. Pick the most insane goal, production-wise, and just go for it. Jump-start the beast-mode.

What this does is take the pressure off making any one of them perfect [narrator: nothing will ever be perfect.] Your technique gets better trying to make 100 "good enough" pieces than it ever would concentrating on one. Ideas? Will you run out of ideas? YES. What happens next is you get new ideas you never would have had if you didn't push it.

When I first did this, I was doing little drawings. So I tried for 100 a day. I never made it. I got to 60+ once or twice and almost went blind. But what happened was that 10 or 20, that wasn't impossible. It wasn't even all that hard.

Another advantage of trying for a crazy quantity is that your friends will notice. They'll start thinking of you as the artist.

So yeah I 100% think you should go crazy and just dive in, devil take the hindmost. Get dirty my friend!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Some photography is not art. Your photography? It’s art, you know it, we know it. You can sell that too. 100 prints max, even allow custom sizes and price accordingly. Those pieces I posted above are sold to spec. Smart idea. Texas art sells too. Selling isn’t everything, expression is but if you want some extra dollars you can make some cash if you aren’t already. No doubt about it.

Thanks y’all.

I do sell prints. I have a big cartel page but also sold prints via Flickr and Instagram. I like the limited aspect of books. One reason is you don’t get disappointed that you don’t sell 5000 of them. This next one I will likely only print 75.
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

I dig what you are saying. Got disappointed by art jobs early on and would turn my back on it, sometimes for a decade at a time. Used to have unused art materials sitting around forever, I was just frozen and couldn't get started.

One thing that turned it around for me, and maybe it only works for my personality but who knows, maybe for you too, is to "put two zeroes on it." By which I mean, don't try to do one thing, try to do 100 things. Pick the most insane goal, production-wise, and just go for it. Jump-start the beast-mode.

What this does is take the pressure off making any one of them perfect [narrator: nothing will ever be perfect.] Your technique gets better trying to make 100 "good enough" pieces than it ever would concentrating on one. Ideas? Will you run out of ideas? YES. What happens next is you get new ideas you never would have had if you didn't push it.

When I first did this, I was doing little drawings. So I tried for 100 a day. I never made it. I got to 60+ once or twice and almost went blind. But what happened was that 10 or 20, that wasn't impossible. It wasn't even all that hard.

Another advantage of trying for a crazy quantity is that your friends will notice. They'll start thinking of you as the artist.

So yeah I 100% think you should go crazy and just dive in, devil take the hindmost. Get dirty my friend!

I painted large canvas for about 4 years. I quickly learned 1 out of 10 I really liked. I did the math and decided art as a career is a numbers game. Get good by painting a lot, then sell 1 out of 10 for 4 figures, then 1 out of 10 for 5 figures and 2 out of 10 for 4 figures but even at your peak you’re probably producing a lot that doesn’t sell. Thankfully canvas is reusable. And then there’s just the expression part. I sold 1 painting for $10 because my buddy refused to take it as a gift. The rest of my several hundred paintings were just for me. About 6-7 we’re good enough to hang on walls in my children’s bedroom. I’m satisfied.

• Drool 1

Oh and Patricia mentioned above, she started by painting thousands of pieces on paper at night, 5x5 max. Would see her therapy clients during the day and paint at night, dozens and dozens per night. She said she then would find one thing about each piece she liked even if a half inch by half inch, she would find the hidden master piece in each one. Really powerful experience to be around her painting. Run the experiment she would say. Life changing to me for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

I painted large canvas for about 4 years. I quickly learned 1 out of 10 I really liked. I did the math and decided art as a career is a numbers game

Preach.

I have a friend who has clawed his way to prosperity as a working artist, he hammers the numbers game concept to any who will listen. The second thing he points out is that it doesn't matter what the artist thinks-- you personally may think that 9 out of your ten paintings weren't good, but the right person might love them all. We have to fight our own urge to offer those for cheap. Naw-- show em to 10,000 more people!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1