Art Fanatics Thread of Visual Dominance

HoustonHorn

Operation Sell My Art At Breweries is almost two months old now with 8 shows under my belt at 3 venues. Most were combo art/music events, and in my experience, Punk Rockers buy the most art, followed by Metal, Surf, and Jazz. (Though the Jazz show was very un-Jazz-environment, happening partly before drankin hours on a Sunday.)

Happy experience so far, with energy levels helped by my Keith Richards level of legal prescription meds. Starting to get people buying because their friends bought something in the past. My Holy Grail is repeat business and that is happening as well.

My stocks of certain categories have been ravaged. Got a big 80+ vendor show this coming Sunday so I am trying to scrabble together replacement pieces as fast as the paint will dry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, GenXer said:

oil on canvas from Barcelona. Found it in a gallery across the street from the picasso museum. This one was only $100 but I really liked the digital pointillism style. The four spires are La Sagrada Familia.

FDCE7AE0-5C46-4F07-AF1B-C28EE54BE919.thumb.jpeg.d9e064db22b103fd8dea94a9816a7e77.jpeg

Holy crap. Need to find this dude…not shitting you, this is a painting I did about five years ago. 

F3F36675-17C7-4CD6-BAC7-A2318ED1B05F.thumb.jpeg.f0090260a1c020eae46660898edb2124.jpeg

eta: mine started as what would happen if marcel duchamp painted with mondrian.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Holy crap. Need to find this dude…not shitting you, this is a painting I did about five years ago. 

F3F36675-17C7-4CD6-BAC7-A2318ED1B05F.thumb.jpeg.f0090260a1c020eae46660898edb2124.jpeg

eta: mine started as what would happen if marcel duchamp painted with mondrian.

That’s crazy, man. Here’s a close-up of the artists name.

I got the painting in 2012. I think it was at Galeria Beaskoa. Based on its proximity to the Picasso museum. Here’s their IG if you’re curious.

https://instagram.com/galeriabeaskoa?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

CD624825-5B3E-4659-8652-FA537B746833.jpeg

On second thought, I think I got it at Galería Montcada. Just a store or two past the first gallery I mentioned.

Their IG

https://instagram.com/galeriamontcada_?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by GenXer
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, GenXer said:

That’s crazy, man. Here’s a close-up of the artists name.

I got the painting in 2012. I think it was at Galeria Beaskoa. Based on its proximity to the Picasso museum. Here’s their IG if you’re curious.

https://instagram.com/galeriabeaskoa?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

CD624825-5B3E-4659-8652-FA537B746833.jpeg

ha, well, if you got it in 2012, then i guess i am the copycat because i did the one i posted in 2017.  man, that is pretty crazy.  a colorful futurist/cubist barcelona landscape was far from my mind when i did mine but that's pretty weird.

That reminds me of the time my dad asked me to sculpt a giant little toe as a practical joke for a friend. Folks were going to Italy and he told a colleague he would bring him David's pinky toe (from Michelangelo's David sculpture in the Louvre). 

I did both a little toe and a big toe in the scale I estimated they would be from the bigass sculpture, from sculpy, which was about the right color. It turned out really good and Dad was so proud of them he kept them. But danged if I've been able to find either one. I would love to have that toe, or toes, either toe.

• Drool 1

I think I may be the first artist to market his work via jury duty.

During voir dire (rest in peace, Norman French) they make you stand up and state your name and profession etc, I throw my chest out and say "Artist!" (with "Drill Sergeant!" appended mentally.) This causes an immediate screech to the proceedings as if I'd said "Cobra Trainer" or "Albanian Dwarf Merchant." Judge, Lawyers, maybe the Defendant, they all wanna know about this unicorn, what I do, where they can see it. So I answer truthfully as I am oath-bound to do.

Then there's all the lolling around back in jury pool (because my family and I live like pirates and thus I keep getting struck.) That's when the other jurors get curious because they maybe do some art, or like art, or are just bored, so we talk and I just draw them some freebies, kinda get em in the loop, yo. Because I stuffed art supplies and materials into the pockets of my suit jacket.

Gotta admit it's a little weird dumping handfuls of pens and cardboard blanks in the tray for the x-ray machine, but if you just leave out anything metal, the guards don't care.

JuryDuty.jpeg

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Everybody probably figured you were just trying to keep from getting picked.

Would have been nice to draw 6 individual cards of apes committing crimes--if you were seeking a soft boot from jury duty.  Although it is a payday of sorts or lunch money. Regardless, collect all 6--from auto theft to manslaughter.  

• Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really sure if I should post this here or in the fishing thread, but I figure @troph will see it either way.

Although we're far from sophisticates, we've gotten to be big fans of Joshua Been out of Salida, CO.  He does some amazing work and is great to visit with, also does his own framing which cuts down on the decision making process for me.  He paints a variety of things, but obviously centers on Colorado landscapes and outdoor stuff.  He's also smart enough to know that visiting fly fishermen are prone to spend money on anything related to fly fishing.

We've picked up several of his paintings over the last few years.  Like most art, photos really do no justice to the textures and brush strokes, but here are a couple we got recently:

He suckered me in with this fly fisherman:
PXL_20221021_212640186.NIGHT_2.thumb.jpg.70f29b2cdcbc64cd7acede73d88bbf11.jpg

And my wife with this fly fisherwoman:

PXL_20221115_132017422.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.140e41807c4f3a2e579f558743594e0f.jpg

If you're ever in the area (which you shouldn't be, because we're supposed to be keeping it secret), check him out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A manic mood has hit again so last night I drew up plans to produce $10,000 art in one month*, starting today.

This is split into 6 categories from baseball cards to block prints to 4 common sizes of paintings.

If I manage to do more of any one type, cool, I can ease up on the others. The main thing is how to make maximum use of my cluttered work space.

Distribution and sales will be another day's problem.

To help with the larger paintings I decided to try one theme per week, starting with Space Apes. That should help me do certain common parts factory style.

This week's quota is 150 baseball cards, 40 block prints, 15 small canvas panels, and 15 square feet of canvas wall hangers. Deadline Friday because Saturday is a show day.

*$10,000 based on cut-to-bone sale price, one month defined as 4 weeks of 5 days each. Maniacs gotta go manic within maniacal limits.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

A manic mood has hit again so last night I drew up plans to produce $10,000 art in one month*, starting today.

This is split into 6 categories from baseball cards to block prints to 4 common sizes of paintings.

If I manage to do more of any one type, cool, I can ease up on the others. The main thing is how to make maximum use of my cluttered work space.

Distribution and sales will be another day's problem.

To help with the larger paintings I decided to try one theme per week, starting with Space Apes. That should help me do certain common parts factory style.

This week's quota is 150 baseball cards, 40 block prints, 15 small canvas panels, and 15 square feet of canvas wall hangers. Deadline Friday because Saturday is a show day.

*$10,000 based on cut-to-bone sale price, one month defined as 4 weeks of 5 days each. Maniacs gotta go manic within maniacal limits.

I was rifling through an old bag and found a 2019 Walter Moore Ape piece. I put it up on my cork board today. Godspeed.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

@RDCanecutterIf you link your Patreon page I'll donate something. Not because I love your art (I don't really get it, actually), but because I think you are a brilliant mind and want to keep you above ground for as long as is natural.

Hey, I appreciate it. :) I don't actually have a Patreon page because the idea of being on a schedule gives me the jeebies. I'll let folks know if that changes. And once you have some of my art, it's actually in your financial interest for me to die, which is what I told my doctor after I made her a sketch.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Hey, I appreciate it. :) I don't actually have a Patreon page because the idea of being on a schedule gives me the jeebies. I'll let folks know if that changes. And once you have some of my art, it's actually in your financial interest for me to die, which is what I told my doctor after I made her a sketch.

On principle I always act in complete opposition to my financial interests-- do you even read my CR posts?

Jokes aside, you are living the dream and I really respect you.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:36 AM, RDCanecutter said:

This week's quota kicked my ass. It felt like that scene in African Queen where the boat's bogged down and Bogart has to drag it through the muck.

Good thing is, every day I got something done, if only 12% of the goal numbers. Prep time takes longer than I expected. 

Baseball cards: got halfway to goal.

Prints: cut a bunch of blanks but didn't print any.

5x7" paintings: didn't do jack.

15 square feet of wall paintings: got a third of that started.

There are two shows this weekend so I'm gonna finish packing the load-out, then maybe I'll relax and paint something real slow.

2 good shows this weekend, weather was mild and people needed art. Completely gutted a couple of my categories and put a dent in the rest. I am not worried about quota numbers this week, I just need to put my head down and produce, starting with flag prints. I think a man could make a living off making prints of the flags of Spain, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Cuba.

• Hook 'Em 2

@RDCanecutter would you ever break away from your production to humor us and answer questions-- or maybe just give a short lecture-- on what it is to be an artist. A professional artist even?

I'm specifically curious about your theory, your motivation, your muse/voice, and what you are aiming to say. If it's simply "just make money" that's cool too.

I ask because I'm reading an interesting book by one of the forefathers of abstract art, Wassily Kandinsky (the book is Concerning the Spiritual in Art), and one of the famous things he says that struck me was, "Art is born from the inner necessity of the artist in an enigmatic, mystical way through which it acquires an autonomous life; it becomes an independent subject, animated by a spiritual breath."

In this way Cezanne made a living thing out of a teacup. Matisse painted "pictures" but in those "pictures" he endeavored to reproduce the divine-- and oscillated between selling out as a hack with "dainty sense of melody" as a typical French painting while other times in his career producing true inward and artistic harmony. And Picasso "shrank from no innovation, if color seemed likely to balk him in his search for pure artistic form, he throws it overboard and paints a picture in brown and white; the problem of purely artistic form being the real problem of his life".

How beautiful. How worthy. To the artistic pursuit of inward harmony and spiritual awakening and truth-- how can that be anything other than a life well lived?

Can you talk about your life as an artist in a serious way to us? Or at least semi-serious as you are a man of unflinching humor and wit, so allowances must be made.

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

@RDCanecutter would you ever break away from your production to humor us and answer questions-- or maybe just give a short lecture-- on what it is to be an artist. A professional artist even?

I'm specifically curious about your theory, your motivation, your muse/voice, and what you are aiming to say. If it's simply "just make money" that's cool too.

I ask because I'm reading an interesting book by one of the forefathers of abstract art, Wassily Kandinsky (the book is Concerning the Spiritual in Art), and one of the famous things he says that struck me was, "Art is born from the inner necessity of the artist in an enigmatic, mystical way through which it acquires an autonomous life; it becomes an independent subject, animated by a spiritual breath."

In this way Cezanne made a living thing out of a teacup. Matisse painted "pictures" but in those "pictures" he endeavored to reproduce the divine-- and oscillated between selling out as a hack with "dainty sense of melody" as a typical French painting while other times in his career producing true inward and artistic harmony. And Picasso "shrank from no innovation, if color seemed likely to balk him in his search for pure artistic form, he throws it overboard and paints a picture in brown and white; the problem of purely artistic form being the real problem of his life".

How beautiful. How worthy. To the artistic pursuit of inward harmony and spiritual awakening and truth-- how can that be anything other than a life well lived?

Can you talk about your life as an artist in a serious way to us? Or at least semi-serious as you are a man of unflinching humor and wit, so allowances must be made.

Sure! Lemme mull it over for a little while.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Sure! Lemme mull it over for a little while.

Thanks. @ me when you respond so I don't miss it, please. I'm in serious consternation and thought about what it means to be a professional artist, even if one's destiny is to be a minor artist.

I'm sure there is an visual artists rendition of the famous Hemingway quote, “Write without pay until someone offers pay,” Mark Twain advised, “If nobody offers within three years, the candidate may look upon this as a sign that sawing wood is what he was intended for.”

“We all dream the same dream, to become important artists. Most of us never achieve it. But I like to believe the collective dream of the thousand is necessary for the one to emerge.”

Edited by HamsterHookah