Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

4 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

In the summer, the outhouse thaws and it sounds like a cow patty hitting the ground.  In the winter, it builds up into what we call the poop-cicle.  Think of a stalagmite of shit rising up from the bottom.  We have a dedicated stick we use to knock it down when it gets too close to the seat.

image.gif.f4f77a8e051d94861bf896ce3a4814d0.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Do you worship at the feet of a statue of Dick Proenneke?

I couldn't hold his jock strap.  We live 3.5 miles from the highway.  It's all I can handle sometimes and I've got an awesome partner in my wife.  He did it alone out in the bush for 20 or 30 years if I recall correctly.  All the way into his 80's I think.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Have you ever mistaken your wife for an adolescent grizzly bear during the winter months when I imagine her pelt is grown out and kept especially bushy for warmth? 

Lulz.  She's still a Texas girl.  She keeps it knocked back pretty well, but we all have our moments don't we?

12 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

In the summer, the outhouse thaws and it sounds like a cow patty hitting the ground.  In the winter, it builds up into what we call the poop-cicle.  Think of a stalagmite of shit rising up from the bottom.  We have a dedicated stick we use to knock it down when it gets too close to the seat.

When i was in Scouts, my troop went to summer camp at one of the nearby Scout Camps every summer.  My first year was the last year Camp Texoma was open (we did Camp Constantin at PK thereafter).

They had latrines in a wooden shed with two seats and a shower (that was really unfortunate), and, because Texoma was closing (lost lease or permission from CoE, I believe), the latrines had not been "emptied" or "sucked out" or treated or whatever it is that reduces the height of the shit stalagmite.  Except the shit stalagmite wasn't frozen. It was fresh.  And raw.  And it was hideously close to the seat.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

A shit stick, you say? 

sdut-kansas-head-coach-mark-mangino-2016

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

By off the grid I mean for our energy needs.  We don't have electricity or indoor plumbing, but we can stream movies and have internet access at the cabin.  There is a cell tower about 4 miles from us.

We have 2 generators.  A Honda 2200 for the small stuff.  A 3500 for power tools and the meat grinder.  We also have 5 battery packs I take to work on a rotation to charge. 

I've wondered how often you have to get gas if you depend to an extent on generators. Where do you store it?

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

I believe one Shaggy wife had pretty good success solving this problem with a plastic knife.

Edited by retread
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

All I can think about is how long my wife and I, or really me and any other human being, would have made it out there in a 400 Sq foot cabin. 12 years. Holy shit dude. Talk about finding your soul mate. 

Yeah, I’m happily married but there is no way I could do that with my wife. I don’t really think we could live like that for 10 days.

Do you ever think you will return to civilization? Could you ever see yourself living in Katy?

5 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

All I can think about is how long my wife and I, or really me and any other human being, would have made it out there in a 400 Sq foot cabin. 12 years. Holy shit dude. Talk about finding your soul mate. 

Well, it wouldn't be a very fair fight.

Her: You want to do what?

Me: Live off the land in Alaska.

Her: Frown

Me (Seeing her facial expression): Like in the Keanu Reeves movie.

Her: What Keanu Reeves movie.

Me: The one were he and his loving wife move to Alaska and through the trials of a tough life learn how to love each other and then together they strike it rich prospering for gold.

Her: Keanu Reeves never made a movie like that

Me: Well, he would if we moved to Alaska and told our story.

Her (catching on): I ain't moving to Alaska so you better get a dog to keep you warm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I can't.  I make my wife poop at work during the week or at the Stripes down the street from our house on the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

So like camping in Oklahoma state parks....

I fucking hate the cold, so it’s a complete non-starter for me, but it does seem quite fascinating. I’d also be interested to hear some of the more harrowing incidents y’all have endured. Doesn’t sound like there’s ever been an animal issue, but what about injury? Or getting snowed in for way longer than expected and having supply issues? What if there was a fire in the cabin? Could you get out and get a vehicle running fast enough?

Also, I just don’t get the lack of improvement in outhouse design since they were first invented. Why not at least have a hallway to it? How hard is it to dig there? Could you place it and some sort of composting system underground or does the ground freeze so deep that such an idea isn’t feasible? What about a fireplace or heating unit in there that you could fire up from inside the house before you go out? And to avoid shit-towers and poop-knives, why not have a compostable bag setup in there? Sure it would stay frozen all winter, but when the thaw comes you’d greatly supplement whatever compost system you use. That may be a stretch since I imagine there’s pathogen concerns, but if it’s just your and your wife, then it’s kind of your own germs anyway, right? I’m not a scientist so I may be completely wrong.

13 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I’m happily married but there is no way I could do that with my wife. I don’t really think we could live like that for 10 days.

Do you ever think you will return to civilization? Could you ever see yourself living in Katy?

I thought you said return to civilization?

• Hook 'Em 2