Off Grid Alaska

mooseoutfront

I was hiking in Colorado with my dog and the trail went around a pond just like that that had a moose just casually eating and watching us.  We couldn't have been more than 20 yards from him.
I got ready to unleash the dog in case it charged us so he'd have to pick one of us to chase.  Fortunately, he left us alone.
The funny thing is my dog never noticed him.  A squirrel farts and he goes crazy but he misses a big ass bull moose staring at us.  
That's a good way to get your dog killed. Moose fucking hate dogs because they think they are wolves. A dog in our neighborhood in the mountains got stomped to death by a moose in December.

49 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
21 hours ago, Not a cat said:
I was hiking in Colorado with my dog and the trail went around a pond just like that that had a moose just casually eating and watching us.  We couldn't have been more than 20 yards from him.
I got ready to unleash the dog in case it charged us so he'd have to pick one of us to chase.  Fortunately, he left us alone.
The funny thing is my dog never noticed him.  A squirrel farts and he goes crazy but he misses a big ass bull moose staring at us.  

That's a good way to get your dog killed. Moose fucking hate dogs because they think they are wolves. A dog in our neighborhood in the mountains got stomped to death by a moose in December.

I think a better way to get his ass killed is leave him attached to a slow middle aged human that already had a heavy pack on him.  I had him on a handless leash that attached to my belt so his best bet was not to be attached to my slow ass if a moose was coming after us.

• Hook 'Em 4

My son and I were chased by a small moose in Moonlight Basin up the mountain from Big Sky so this hits close to home. I remember thinking "Okay, I'm the adult here so at some point, I've got to figure out how to fight this thing". Luckily, he was able to hop the same townhouse fence that I tumbled over.

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 3:54 PM, Chewbacca said:

How does he handle the outside temps when it gets really cold?  Still wanting to go out, or hanging out inside?

He does not enjoy the deep cold.  10 below is about his comfort limit.  He hates wearing the coat and booties we've bought for him, so he hangs in the house as much as he can.  This winter is been a long one.  We've had snow on the ground since the second week of September.  With as much snow as we've had it will last into late April or early May.  Magnum is done with this shit for this year.

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, Ten Bears said:

So the only thing between you and -70 F is 6-8" of logs stacked on top of each other?  No insulation?  I guess snow is an insulator. 

Yep.  6" 3 sided logs.  It takes a lot of energy to get the logs warm if they get cold, but once warm they keep the cold out.  We're going to chink it one of these days, but the mosquitoes are so god damn bad when the temperature is right for the chinking compound that I just haven't done it yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2022 at 3:40 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You should just tell them that last part with a deadpan face and see what their reaction is. Also, do you do anything with the skins of the animals you kill?

We leave the skins in the field.  I want to get a pair of snow machine mittens made out of moose hide sometime, but it's almost cost prohibitive.  We're talking $500-$600.  Moose hide is heavy as fuck.  I would hate to try to pack a whole one out of the field.

5 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

He does not enjoy the deep cold.  10 below is about his comfort limit.  He hates wearing the coat and booties we've bought for him, so he hangs in the house as much as he can.  This winter is been a long one.  We've had snow on the ground since the second week of September.  With as much snow as we've had it will last into late April or early May.  Magnum is done with this shit for this year.

My newfies love the deep cold, but -70 might be a bit much even for them.  We only see temps down to -35 to -40.

10 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I was looking through my phone looking for interesting things to post.  Here is a vid of a small sow with triplet cubs that I came across nosing around a beaver lodge when I was out taking water samples.  The cubs were almost as big as she was.  She probably ran them off to start a new family within a month of the video.

I hope the video works.

Damn, those are some majestic critters.

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

He is a violent alcoholic who is abusive to his wife and children and never passes up an opportunity to let people know he is armed at all times.  The last time he rode up drunk to the cabin looking for a fight I wasn't home, but my wife was.  She told him to get the fuck off our property and to never come back.  He told her I could find him at the local watering hole when I got home.  She called me and I headed over there.  When I got there I told him to take his gun off and to meet me outside.  He declined.  In front of about 20 witnesses I told him that if I ever caught him on my land again he would be trespassing and I would kill him as such.  That was about 4 years ago.  He hasn't come knocking.  My wife has a standing order that if he ever shows up again and I'm not there to grab the AR, put 2 in chest, and call the troopers.  If I'm there, I'll happily do the killing.  The world would be a better place without this asshole in it.  Luckily his road splits off from ours about half a mile off the highway, so we rarely meet him.  He has no business being down our road, so I bought a 9mm to keep in the truck if we ever do cross paths.  I just don't want to get killed for lack of shooting back.

image.png.90ef4a0e0d6eb87bfcd6c9f66a0df6cc.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

My newfies love the deep cold, but -70 might be a bit much even for them.  We only see temps down to -35 to -40.

I've got a newfie.  I live in San Diego.   Big fucking dork spends all summer in air conditioning.  

And I didn't intend to have a newfie.  He's a rescue.  They don't belong here, and I discourage anybody I speak to from getting one here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've got a newfie.  I live in San Diego.   Big fucking dork spends all summer in air conditioning.  

And I didn't intend to have a newfie.  He's a rescue.  They don't belong here, and I discourage anybody I speak to from getting one here. 

Shit, they get hot here in the summer.  Can't imagine SD.

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

The son always said he wanted a Husky.  I'd say kid you live I Va. why do you wanna make an animal suffer like that ?

5 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

We leave the skins in the field.  I want to get a pair of snow machine mittens made out of moose hide sometime, but it's almost cost prohibitive.  We're talking $500-$600.  Moose hide is heavy as fuck.  I would hate to try to pack a whole one out of the field.

You could try brain tanning it and making some yourself. You wouldn't need to pack out the whole hide, just enough to make what you need.

5 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

He is a violent alcoholic who is abusive to his wife and children and never passes up an opportunity to let people know he is armed at all times.  The last time he rode up drunk to the cabin looking for a fight I wasn't home, but my wife was.  She told him to get the fuck off our property and to never come back.  He told her I could find him at the local watering hole when I got home.  She called me and I headed over there.  When I got there I told him to take his gun off and to meet me outside.  He declined.  In front of about 20 witnesses I told him that if I ever caught him on my land again he would be trespassing and I would kill him as such.  That was about 4 years ago.  He hasn't come knocking.  My wife has a standing order that if he ever shows up again and I'm not there to grab the AR, put 2 in chest, and call the troopers.  If I'm there, I'll happily do the killing.  The world would be a better place without this asshole in it.  Luckily his road splits off from ours about half a mile off the highway, so we rarely meet him.  He has no business being down our road, so I bought a 9mm to keep in the truck if we ever do cross paths.  I just don't want to get killed for lack of shooting back.

puppet-awkward.gif

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

I actually thought of this gif when I hit Submit Reply

Here's a little more background:

To put it bluntly, my wife and I live amongst uneducated rubes.  This place has many advantages that we enjoy, but insightful or thoughtful discourse on the topics of today are not one of them.  Not to CR this thread, but the hillbillies out here have been particularly affected by the tribal politics of the last decade.  Especially with all the Q/Trump bullshit.  My wife and I are among the hand full of blue/purple dots in the sea of red that is Alaska, and it is known around here.  I had a friend who was at the same local watering hole I referenced above when my asshole neighbor went off on one of his drunken when the Storm comes I'll be hunting down all the Democrats and liberals around here rants.  My friend called me and told me my and my wife's names were specifically mentioned.  That's when I bought the 9mm to keep in the truck.  It's still a bit like the Old West here.  You are responsible for your own safety.  Law enforcement is few and far between.  You can't count on it. My neighbor can fuck around and find out. 

Yeah, that sucks.  My only hope out there, like it is in many rural agrarian/ranching communities that mutual support trumps politics (pun intended).  My parents are pretty left leaning, having gone "off to the big city" of Austin for schoolin'.  All our family that stayed are not.   Nor are the surrounding ranchers, but they all look out for each other's property/fences/livestock, etc.  

Meaning if you were broke down on the side of the road, would they help you out?  

On 2/15/2022 at 4:24 PM, mooseoutfront said:

You could have just said he is a Sooner fan. 

16 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Well yeah.gif 

I just assumed that this was an example of the average Alaskan wilderness person.

Alaskan Bush People Season 13: Brown Family Lays Billy to Rest [WATCH] |  PEOPLE.com

I have no idea who these chucklefucks are, but I've got to ask, and this is an honest question...is there really a viable use in the wild for a fucking whip? Someone please take the time to explain me the practical use of a fucking whip. Does the snap scare off potential predators if you're by yourself in the woods? Moreso than say a gun? Or is that just a fat stupid clown who thinks it makes him look cool, which is my assumption?

It's hard for me to take anyone wearing a whip seriously unless they're working under the big top at a circus, killing nazis and unearthing ancient artifacts, and that's about it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I have no idea who these chucklefucks are, but I've got to ask, and this is an honest question...is there really a viable use in the wild for a fucking whip? Someone please take the time to explain me the practical use of a fucking whip. Does the snap scare off potential predators if you're by yourself in the woods? Moreso than say a gun? Or is that just a fat stupid clown who thinks it makes him look cool, which is my assumption?

It's hard for me to take anyone wearing a whip seriously unless they're working under the big top at a circus, killing nazis and unearthing ancient artifacts, and that's about it. 

They are the Alaskan Kardashians. They cosplay. I think the second from the right modeled his style after squiggy or meatloaf. If they have a bad winter I think he’s the one they eat. 

Edited by TexasEd

On 2/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, Not a cat said:

F09C8F25-939A-49B7-9EC6-9BEC60689F1D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

They are the Alaskan Kardashians. They cosplay. I think the second from the right modeled his style after squiggy or meatloaf. If they have a bad winter I think he’s the one they eat. 

That's Ponyboy's cousin.  They sent him off to Alaska after he stabbed a Soc in the last rumble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

That's Ponyboy's cousin.  They sent him off to Alaska after he stabbed a Soc in the last rumble.

Maybe but when I look at that picture I think, "All he needs is a sax and a lobotomy scar and he can dance around the front of the local Cinemark."

Meat Loaf Dead: 'Bat Out Of Hell' Singer, 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' Actor  – Deadline

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Apparently you’ve never gotten goosebumps as a kid when Jim brings in the brumbies. 

On 2/16/2022 at 3:27 PM, mooseoutfront said:

I actually thought of this gif when I hit Submit Reply

Here's a little more background:

To put it bluntly, my wife and I live amongst uneducated rubes.  This place has many advantages that we enjoy, but insightful or thoughtful discourse on the topics of today are not one of them.  Not to CR this thread, but the hillbillies out here have been particularly affected by the tribal politics of the last decade.  Especially with all the Q/Trump bullshit.  My wife and I are among the hand full of blue/purple dots in the sea of red that is Alaska, and it is known around here.  I had a friend who was at the same local watering hole I referenced above when my asshole neighbor went off on one of his drunken when the Storm comes I'll be hunting down all the Democrats and liberals around here rants.  My friend called me and told me my and my wife's names were specifically mentioned.  That's when I bought the 9mm to keep in the truck.  It's still a bit like the Old West here.  You are responsible for your own safety.  Law enforcement is few and far between.  You can't count on it. My neighbor can fuck around and find out. 

well i guess telling TTom that 'the surly cabal says hi' is out of the question.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

giphy.gif
  • Like 1