The Offer (Paramount+, April 28) - Dramatization of Making of The Godfather

atomheartbevo

I’m up with some bug my kid gave me, and Paramount drops their shows at 2am.  Not finished, but another great episode and holy shit Lou Ferrigno aged well.

Spoiler

Laughing at Robert Evans getting dumped by Ali MacGraw for Steve McQueen.   We’ve all been there.

And fucking great casting for Marlon Brando

The show fudged the dates, time of day, and manner of Gallo’s death. 

Gallo got whacked a few weeks after The Godfather was released. Definitely not during production. Definitely not during daylight. Shocked he made it almost a year after the Colombo shooting. 

Colombo getting whacked in a montage wasn’t my favorite either. 

Still an excellent show, but some dramatic license was taken in this episode. 

22 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Still an excellent show, but some dramatic license was taken in this episode. 

Yeah, they clearly sped up a few things on the timeline so that the main plot (making The Godfather) wasn't overshadowed by the gangland war. Prior to this show, I wasn't even that aware of a lot of the characters, so doesn't bother me.  

They clearly wanted to play out the Joe Gallo storyline, but didn't want it to be the end of the series (showing his death after The Godfather came out).

The guy playing Joey Gallo, damn, like I said, great job of casting.

The real Gallo

Joseph_%E2%80%9EJoey%E2%80%9C_Gallo.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, they clearly sped up a few things on the timeline so that the main plot (making The Godfather) wasn't overshadowed by the gangland war. Prior to this show, I wasn't even that aware of a lot of the characters, so doesn't bother me.  
They clearly wanted to play out the Joe Gallo storyline, but didn't want it to be the end of the series (showing his death after The Godfather came out).
The guy playing Joey Gallo, damn, like I said, great job of casting.
The real Gallo
Joseph_%E2%80%9EJoey%E2%80%9C_Gallo.jpg

I understand maneuvering the timeline, but I thought they’d keep the part about Gallo moving outside during the shooting and dying on the sidewalk.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The fiction: With the movie nearing completion, attention is starting to go to the premiere and Caesar (Jake Cannavale) is asking when the mob guys who helped out with The Godfather are going to get their tickets. Ruddy knows that Paramount will never let members of the mob attend The Godfather’s big premiere, so what is the producer to do? Well, he absconds with a print of the movie and holds a private screening for a bunch of gangsters in New York. They love the movie.

The fact: The Offer pretty much nails this detail. According to a Vanity Fair story(opens in new tab), because Paramount wasn’t going to let mobsters attend the official premiere, Ruddy did sneak a print of The Godfather to New York for a private screening. Those in attendance loved the movie. So much in fact that Ruddy said the projectionist at the screening got a $1,000 tip.

https://www.whattowatch.com/features/fact-vs-fiction-the-offer-episode-9-was-the-italian-mafia-involved-in-the-godfather

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Finished tonight. We loved it and it’s the best written, acted, and directed series we’ve seen in a while. I’d love to dive in to learn what was real and not. I’ll rewatch in a few months to see what I missed and try to find all the Easter eggs.

I’d love an S2 and how G2 progressed.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’d love an S2 and how G2 progressed.

Unlikely. Ruddy, Evans, and McCartt weren't involved in Godfather 2. I guess you could still do it, but you'd lose the best characters.

Not sure what would be better, following G2 or following Evans involvement in producing.

And cocaine smuggling.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Unlikely. Ruddy, Evans, and McCartt weren't involved in Godfather 2. I guess you could still do it, but you'd lose the best characters.

Not sure what would be better, following G2 or following Evans involvement in producing.

And cocaine smuggling.

the only potential follow-up would be about the cotton club.

i'm fine with this being a limited series.  it was great.  still have no idea why the reviews were lukewarm.  i don't know anyone who disliked it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Because reviewers are sad, miserable people who insist upon themselves.

be that as it may, if you look at rotty t's (lol), tv series are typically graded a little differently.  most shows are 90+ whereas that's a huge score for a movie.

a ~good movie is 70+ and a ~good series is 92+.  rarely are series under 60 and when they are, they are brutal.  the offer is 50% from critics and 97% audience score.

bizarre.

edit to add - i just actually went and read a bunch of the reviews (from both critics and normal people).  the most common thing from critics was, "why waste time on this when you could just be watching the godfather?"  the most common phrase from normies was "the critics got this wrong, this show is great."

2 minutes ago, bullzak said:

So as a gigantic Godfather fan, am I going to have to get Paramount+ to watch this or can I just buy on Itunes at some point. Already down that road with Yellowstone so....

look into a free trial of par+ now that all the episodes are out.  you'll blow through it in a weekend.

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

edit to add - i just actually went and read a bunch of the reviews (from both critics and normal people).  the most common thing from critics was, "why waste time on this when you could just be watching the godfather?"  the most common phrase from normies was "the critics got this wrong, this show is great."

IMO the making of the greatest movie of all time is just as fascinating as the movie. There were so many obstacles to Coppolas vision its amazing this thing ever saw the screen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, bullzak said:

So as a gigantic Godfather fan, am I going to have to get Paramount+ to watch this or can I just buy on Itunes at some point. Already down that road with Yellowstone so....

Yellowstone is on Peacock.  1883 is on Paramount+

Which pisses me off to no end.

Edited by atomheartbevo

the only potential follow-up would be about the cotton club.
i'm fine with this being a limited series.  it was great.  still have no idea why the reviews were lukewarm.  i don't know anyone who disliked it.

I agree I’m ok with it being a limited series. I’d like to see Bettye building her biz, Evans leaving to produce and his challenges (married Phyllis George), Ruddy doing his thing, and Coppola making G2.

Great acting, writing, directing. Adam Atkin did great work.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just finished this.  I'm a huge Godfather fan, so of course, I loved it.  Casting was amazing.  Goode -give him all the awards now.  Juno Temple was delightful as always and I liked Colin Hanks character getting a redemption arc.  And the guy who played Charlie was great.  I don't know where that guy came from, but I love him in everything I see him in.  But, the most amazing feat of all- somehow they made me like Miles Teller. 

A++++.  Would watch again, but gotta watch Jeff Bridges fuck some folks up first as a 70 year old geezer.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m too young and too naive about old Hollywood to understand a lot of the references, but I found myself constantly pausing and getting on Google or IMDB to check things along the way. I enjoyed that part because I learned about movies that were before my time and I thought many of the references were used in a clever way.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the scenes when Lapenis was trying to pick movie posters, shorten the movie, and cut the Sicily sequence. I realize he’s a fictional character, but he represents the movie studio’s internal opposition and competing interests that make it difficult for any great film to be produced. That’s not something I typically think about, and it’s crazy to think what could’ve happened to The Godfather if meddling financial executives became too hands-on.

Or for that matter, I wonder what mediocre movies could’ve been great, but were sabotaged by people who thought they knew more than the creatives.

• Like 3

I’m too young and too naive about old Hollywood to understand a lot of the references, but I found myself constantly pausing and getting on Google or IMDB to check things along the way. I enjoyed that part because I learned about movies that were before my time and I thought many of the references were used in a clever way.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the scenes when Lapenis was trying to pick movie posters, shorten the movie, and cut the Sicily sequence. I realize he’s a fictional character, but he represents the movie studio’s internal opposition and competing interests that make it difficult for any great film to be produced. That’s not something I typically think about, and it’s crazy to think what could’ve happened to The Godfather if meddling financial executives became too hands-on.

Or for that matter, I wonder what mediocre movies could’ve been great, but were sabotaged by people who thought they knew more than the creatives.

The late 60’s early 70’s was a golden era in Hollywood. A lot of the movies mentioned in the Offer are classic and if you haven’t seen are worthy checking out. Chinatown, French Connection, Butch Cassidy, the Getaway, Serpico,

I’m not a big fan of The Longest Yard. It’s only a step above Burt’s Gator type movies.

On 6/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Great finale. But one question:

Reveal hidden contents

Did Ruddy really pass on doing Part 2 so he could produce The Longest Yard? Because that is idiotic. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

The late 60’s early 70’s was a golden era in Hollywood. A lot of the movies mentioned in the Offer are classic and if you haven’t seen are worthy checking out. Chinatown, French Connection, Butch Cassidy, the Getaway, Serpico,

I’m not a big fan of The Longest Yard. It’s only a step above Burt’s Gator type movies.

Loved this series, but quick confession: I followed it up last night with my first viewing of "The Longest Yard" since being a kid 40+ years ago. I had no recollection of the first half (which makes sense since it's not that great), but once they got on the field I had a blast.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

if this interested you, go read "easy riders; raging bulls" as it covers a similar time period and subjects.  (i know i've already reco'd the kid stays in the picture about 5x). 

while watching last night i was thinking "i know she goes with him to the premiere".  the reason i knew that is because a quote from evans in the book says something to the tune of "she was dancing with me, but she was thinking about steve mcqueen's cock."  ouch.

• Haha 1

The late 60’s early 70’s was a golden era in Hollywood. A lot of the movies mentioned in the Offer are classic and if you haven’t seen are worthy checking out. Chinatown, French Connection, Butch Cassidy, the Getaway, Serpico

Butch Cassidy has always been a favorite of mine because my dad likes it and we watched it a lot growing up. I loved the scene in The Offer when he went to NM to visit the Butch Cassidy set and they were filming the Bolivia shootout.

The other movies I will probably look into.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Here are some others, some mentioned in The Offer

Paper Moon.
American Graffiti
The Deer Hunter
Deliverance
The Sting
Sugarland Express
Network
Slap Shot
Young Frankenstein
The Last Detail

Most folks will be familiar with most of those, I assume, but if anyone hasn't seen, or heard of, Paper Moon, that's a great film with Ryan O'Neal and a very young Tatum O'Neal, his daughter. Great list of films, indeed.

The Godfather may be the most re-watchable film ever made.

Over the weeks of The Offer's run, I watched the Godfather three times.  And loved every second of that.

Twice, I told myself I'd just watch the opening scene, as it was getting near bed time, and I didn't move until Kay is left watching the study door being closed on her.

The third time I set out to watch the whole thing again.

I know that Citizen Kane often ranks right above The Godfather whenever they compile those "best American movies" ever made lists, but I honestly can't see it. The Godfather is a masterpiece in every conceivable detail.  It's just perfect.

Also, if you haven't seen it, on YouTube you can find the Danish Symphony doing a medley of The Godfather score, and they're wonderful.  That may be the most incredible score ever composed, in so far as it musically conveys the spirit of the film.

• Hook 'Em 4

I don’t get Citizen Kane either. Anyone looking to start their film nerd quest should just spend the first year concentrating on 1966-1975. Greatest 10 year span of filmmaking in history and I have a hard time finding a 10 year period that even comes close. It pretty much starts with the rise of the film auteur and ends with the blockbuster era. Fucking Jaws. Though I love Jaws, it pretty much ushered in a new era of movie making. Maybe the 90’s thanks to QT, but it really isn’t that close. The 80’s were a steaming pile of shit, but compared to the past 20 years, the 80’s almost feel like a golden era.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t get Citizen Kane either. Anyone looking to start their film nerd quest should just spend the first year concentrating on 1966-1975. Greatest 10 year span of filmmaking in history and I have a hard time finding a 10 year period that even comes close. It pretty much starts with the rise of the film auteur and ends with the blockbuster era. Fucking Jaws. Though I love Jaws, it pretty much ushered in a new era of movie making. Maybe the 90’s thanks to QT, but it really isn’t that close. The 80’s were a steaming pile of shit, but compared to the past 20 years, the 80’s almost feel like a golden era.

I’ve painfully watched Citizen Kane several times and it’s maybe the first auteur crap movie. It’s like Eraserhead. Let me eat a bullet to watch shit like that.

From that era I’d rather watch Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies, Tarzan, and WC Fields.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Augustus said:

The Godfather may be the most re-watchable film ever made.

Over the weeks of The Offer's run, I watched the Godfather three times.  And loved every second of that.

Twice, I told myself I'd just watch the opening scene, as it was getting near bed time, and I didn't move until Kay is left watching the study door being closed on her.

The third time I set out to watch the whole thing again.

I know that Citizen Kane often ranks right above The Godfather whenever they compile those "best American movies" ever made lists, but I honestly can't see it. The Godfather is a masterpiece in every conceivable detail.  It's just perfect.

Also, if you haven't seen it, on YouTube you can find the Danish Symphony doing a medley of The Godfather score, and they're wonderful.  That may be the most incredible score ever composed, in so far as it musically conveys the spirit of the film.

Was interesting to me that the show never addressed the score — not even a throwaway line that I can remember.  Because, you are right, it’s amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Was interesting to me that the show never addressed the score — not even a throwaway line that I can remember.  Because, you are right, it’s amazing.

heres the crazy part,  Godfather wasnt even nominated for best score. 

that seems crazy. its one of the most iconic scores in film history. It was nominated for best sound, but not Best Original Dramatic Score.

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

heres the crazy part,  Godfather wasnt even nominated for best score. 

that seems crazy. its one of the most iconic scores in film history. It was nominated for best sound, but not Best Original Dramatic Score.

In 1972, composer Nino Rota received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Score for his work on The Godfather, but it was subsequently revoked after it was revealed that part of the love theme had already been used in Rota's score for the 1958 Italian comedy film, Fortunatella. 

https://www.classical-music.com/features/articles/why-was-nino-rotas-score-for-the-godfather-disqualified-from-the-1972-oscars/

There were plenty of phenomenal movies made in the 80's, but the cheesedick overload washes out the great ones. 

-On Golden Pond '81

-Rain Man '88

-Born on the 4th of July '89

-The Terminator '84

-The Right Stuff '83

-Silverado '85

-E.T.  '82

-Glory '89

-Dead Poets Society '-89

-Wall Street  '87

-Out of Africa '85

-Red Dawn '84