The Offer (Paramount+, April 28) - Dramatization of Making of The Godfather

atomheartbevo

On 6/2/2022 at 10:32 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The show fudged the dates, time of day, and manner of Gallo’s death. 

Gallo got whacked a few weeks after The Godfather was released. Definitely not during production. Definitely not during daylight. Shocked he made it almost a year after the Colombo shooting. 

Colombo getting whacked in a montage wasn’t my favorite either. 

Still an excellent show, but some dramatic license was taken in this episode. 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed, terrific casting. Matty The Horse (Genovese Family) has long been rumored to be involved in Gallo’s killing. He owned Umberto’s at the time. A lot of different theories on the shooters, but I’d surmise Matty gave his blessing on a hit in his place. 

I am not going to look it up, but I believe The Irishman Who Paints Houses killed that "fresh kid" Joey Gallo. I read "I Heard You Paint Houses" years ago and watched "The Irishman" at some point and I feel like this was covered substantially, in the book, at least.

On 6/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, henrygandorf said:

the only potential follow-up would be about the cotton club.

i'm fine with this being a limited series.  it was great.  still have no idea why the reviews were lukewarm.  i don't know anyone who disliked it.

It's fun finding this thread. I've watched this series and tried to tell other people about it and no one has seemed interested. I think it was great. Goode was unbelievable as Evans. All of it was well done.

Personally, I would prefer not to see a series on The Cotton Club. That's some really grim shit and signifies the downfall of Evans' standing in society in sad ways. But, I understand the logic for wanting to see one.

So I watched "The Kid Stays in the Picture" last night.... It's really good, although it's my least favorite style of documentary (subject or someone close to subject narrates the whole thing over clips, with no commentary).  

Two pretty glaring differences from the show:

- In TKSITP, Evans claims he encouraged Ali McGraw to do The Getaway.

- In TKSTIP, Evans claims he had to convince Coppola to build the move to 3 hours, from just over two.

I get the first difference in that it helped the narrative of the show.  I don't get the second one, given that would probably be well documented.  I guess the show had Ruddy, Evans and FFC all aligned at that point, so it wouldn't make sense to align FFC against Evans for the shows purposes.  

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am not going to look it up, but I believe The Irishman Who Paints Houses killed that "fresh kid" Joey Gallo. I read "I Heard You Paint Houses" years ago and watched "The Irishman" at some point and I feel like this was covered substantially, in the book, at least.

Sheeran claims to have pulled the trigger on Joe Gallo, but I believe it's still disputed.

Former NYPD detective Joe Coffey bizarrely corroborated Sheeran's story. It was debunked for years and years until Charles Brandt dug up Coffey. Given Coffey's pay for interview status at the time, I'm sure Brandt cut him a check. 

I believe Matty the Horse saw Gallo in his joint, and called a friend in the Colombo Family. Most likely Carmine DiBiase. DiBiase was the shooter seems to be the consensus with informants. He also matches the physical description witnesses gave cops. 

I think Sheeran was a tough guy, a racketeer/union official, he knew Hoffa, but everything else coming out of his mouth is bullshit. Many people in the Bruno Family had/have a very low opinion of him. Basically called him a hanger on who liked to drink in mob restaurants. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

39 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

There were plenty of phenomenal movies made in the 80's, but the cheesedick overload washes out the great ones. 

-On Golden Pond '81

-Rain Man '88

-Born on the 4th of July '89

-The Terminator '84

-The Right Stuff '83

-Silverado '85

-E.T.  '82

-Glory '89

-Dead Poets Society '-89

-Wall Street  '87

-Out of Africa '85

-Red Dawn '84

-Gandhi '82

I enjoy you as a poster which is why it saddens me to see a post like this. 

-Born on the 4th of July - just another bid for a Tom Cruise Oscar and for Stone to preach at America.

-The recent series on The Right Stuff was better put together than the mess of the '83 movie.

-Out of Africa is an indefensible piece of shit of a movie. Boring, melodramatic mediocrity. It was the English Patient first, and that isn't a good thing.

-Gandhi is more boring shit that was overrated at the time due to subject matter.

I assume you intentionally left off: Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Predator, Scarface, First Blood, Rambo, Ghostbusters, RotLA/IJatToD/IJatLC, Stand By Me, Field of Dreams/Major League/The Natural/Bull Durham, Caddyshack, Back To School, Vacation, Platoon/Full Metal Jacket, Blade Runner, The Shining, and Back To the Future for personal reasons, but all of those are fucking light years ahead of some of the shit you listed and a bunch of the shit that won awards during that decade. 

Shit, as far as great periods for moviemaking go, the 80's is the best decade for comedy and second place is closer to last place than first place. Endless excellence across the broad spectrum of what comedy is.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

-Born on the 4th of July - just another bid for a Tom Cruise Oscar and for Stone to preach at America.

-The recent series on The Right Stuff was better put together than the mess of the '83 movie.

-Out of Africa is an indefensible piece of shit of a movie. Boring, melodramatic mediocrity. It was the English Patient first, and that isn't a good thing.

-Gandhi is more boring shit that was overrated at the time due to subject matter.

I assume you intentionally left off: Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Predator, Scarface, First Blood, Rambo, Ghostbusters, RotLA/IJatToD/IJatLC, Stand By Me, Field of Dreams/Major League/The Natural/Bull Durham, Caddyshack, Back To School, Vacation, Platoon/Full Metal Jacket, Blade Runner, The Shining, and Back To the Future for personal reasons, but all of those are fucking light years ahead of some of the shit you listed and a bunch of the shit that won awards during that decade. 

Shit, as far as great periods for moviemaking go, the 80's is the best decade for comedy and second place is closer to last place than first place. Endless excellence across the broad spectrum of what comedy is.

i made a post forever ago listing 100 comedies from the 80’s and there were some left off. that’s what the 80’s is known for.

the 70’s and 90’s have some classic all-timers but the 80’s was most definitely the decade of comedy, led mostly by eddie, murray, chevy, keaton, hanks, and hughes. 

it was also a decade of great sports and action.

i am a redford fanboy and can acknowledge the schlock that is out of africa. rain man, color of money, wall street, are the award winners that stick out to me. 

and it’s strange to mention the 80’s and leave out franchises like indiana jones, star wars, back to the future. 

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i made a post forever ago listing 100 comedies from the 80’s and there were some left off. that’s what the 80’s is known for.

the 70’s and 90’s have some classic all-timers but the 80’s was most definitely the decade of comedy, led mostly by eddie, murray, chevy, keaton, hanks, and hughes. 

it was also a decade of great sports and action.

i am a redford fanboy and can acknowledge the schlock that is out of africa. rain man, color of money, wall street, are the award winners that stick out to me. 

and it’s strange to mention the 80’s and leave out franchises like indiana jones, star wars, back to the future. 

Bizarre to me is how rarely I find new comedies appealing these days. I'll watch almost anything and I'm not an old guy yelling at the clouds when it comes watching stuff and wanting to laugh. I'd have to think about it, but off the top of my head, I can't name a comedy that I've seen as a new release lately in which I wound up thinking it was hilarious. 

Hell, my wife wasn't in the US and was mostly too young to remember having watched Cheers. She heard me talking about it with some friends recently and asked to watch the series, so we started with the pilot a couple of weeks ago. We've watched about 12 episodes of the first season since and I have laughed out loud during every one of them. Same for her. I know comedy is really fucking hard, but someone should knock the dust off of the 80's formulas for them and make us laugh again. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I left those off because I didn't feel like having a ridiculously long post.  

Born on the 4th is a great movie, regardless of the preaching.  I can't stand Oliver Stone, but he does make some intriguing films.  You just have to go in with a grain of salt on which firebrand he is preaching that go-round.  Hell, I've said it on this site before that 'JFK' is a completely different movie when you watch it as a comedy, because that's what it truly is.  

I guess I'll give you Out of Africa, hadn't seen it in a long time and I enjoy most of Redford's work.  Just listed it because it was really well received (so was "the Shape of Water") 

You can EABOD on Gandhi.  I guess they tried too hard to mimic 'Lawrence' with a different subject matter, but it's a damn good movie and portrayal.  

You can EABiggerBOD regarding 'The Right Stuff'.  Yes, the SERIES was better than a 39 year old movie, but that was a fucking blast of a movie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Bizarre to me is how rarely I find new comedies appealing these days. I'll watch almost anything and I'm not an old guy yelling at the clouds when it comes watching stuff and wanting to laugh. I'd have to think about it, but off the top of my head, I can't name a comedy that I've seen as a new release lately in which I wound up thinking it was hilarious. 

Hell, my wife wasn't in the US and was mostly too young to remember having watched Cheers. She heard me talking about it with some friends recently and asked to watch the series, so we started with the pilot a couple of weeks ago. We've watched about 12 episodes of the first season since and I have laughed out loud during every one of them. Same for her. I know comedy is really fucking hard, but someone should knock the dust off of the 80's formulas for them and make us laugh again. 

There's all sorts of reasons why comedy sucks these days.  The #1 reason is that it's not ok to hurt people's feelings anymore.  For some reason, they can't separate reality from cinema.  

• Hook 'Em 2

i'll be the old man yelling at clouds for a minute and acknowledge that comedy is generational, not cyclical.  i love the philadelphia story and the apartment and especially some like it hot - that shit is hilarious.  you can show me some old chaplin stuff and get me to audibly laugh.  but there are certain things i didn't grow up with like the 3 stooges and other "comedies" from the 60's and 70's that i never found funny.

a lot of us grew up in the 80's so those movies spoke to us and always will.  i show my wife (11 years younger than me) those movies and it's very hit or miss.  i show my nephews those movies and it's mostly miss.  they find completely different shit funny, and that's fine.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

47 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

You can EABiggerBOD regarding 'The Right Stuff'.  Yes, the SERIES was better than a 39 year old movie, but that was a fucking blast of a movie.  

I'm so happy to see a couple of other people acknowledge how good The Right Stuff TV series is.

Fucking sucks that they marketed it so poorly then COVID helped kill it just as they were setting up in California to film a season around Chuck Yeager and the stuff happening at Edwards (including getting into the later X-15 stuff with Neil Armstrong and others).  They had even started lining up permissions and tax breaks, etc.

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking sucks that they marketed it so poorly then COVID helped kill it just as they were setting up in California to film a season around Chuck Yeager and the stuff happening at Edwards (including getting into the later X-15 stuff with Neil Armstrong and others).  They had even started lining up permissions and tax breaks, etc.

this is not what happened.  disney killed it.  if you want to pm me i can have the conversation about it.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:32 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve painfully watched Citizen Kane several times and it’s maybe the first auteur crap movie. It’s like Eraserhead. Let me eat a bullet to watch shit like that.

From that era I’d rather watch Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies, Tarzan, and WC Fields.

I really wonder if Citizen Kane gets so much love more for the technical aspects of the film vs the dramatic aspects.  The camera angles, lighting, etc were all unusual, apparently, so everybody was impressed with Welles' direction.

But as a story, it definitely doesn't compel me in any way.  And the big reveal at the end never impacted me the way I think it was intended to.

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I really wonder if Citizen Kane gets so much love more for the technical aspects of the film vs the dramatic aspects.  The camera angles, lighting, etc were all unusual, apparently, so everybody was impressed with Welles' direction.

But as a story, it definitely doesn't compel me in any way.  And the big reveal at the end never impacted me the way I think it was intended to.

i'm pretty much the same way.  i'm also like this with gone with the wind.  i don't mind long movies.  lawrence of arabia is fantastic and i've seen it in the theater twice (and they even had old school intermission). and obviously godfather is plenty long.

for some reason casablanca and gone with the wind get mixed up and compared in people's brains (probably just people around my age or younger) even though the two films could not be more different.  casablanca is 100 minutes and i could watch it every day of the week.  i am fine never seeing gone with the wind again.  i understand the need for old school sprawling epics, and maybe i need to give ben hur another try.  otherwise, godfather, casablanca, and lawrence are in their own class as far as all-time-great lists.

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

There were plenty of phenomenal movies made in the 80's, but the cheesedick overload washes out the great ones. 

-On Golden Pond '81

-Rain Man '88

-The Terminator '84

-The Right Stuff '83

-Silverado '85

-E.T.  '82

-Glory '89

-Dead Poets Society '-89

-Wall Street  '87

-Out of Africa '85

-Red Dawn '84

-Gandhi '82

Raging Bull

The Shining

Reds

The Elephant Man

Once Upon a Time in America

And of course.....

Risky Business

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

There's all sorts of reasons why comedy sucks these days.  The #1 reason is that it's not ok to hurt people's feelings anymore.  For some reason, they can't separate reality from cinema.  

This.  The Hangover was the last great comedy and probably will be for sometime, hopefully not forever.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Well, I've always enjoyed you as a poster, but I couldn't disagree with you more about Gandhi.  It's a wonderful film.  

And the movie itself aside, I couldn't possibly admire to a greater degree a strategy for full-blown revolution that basically amounts to, "Let's annoy them until they leave."  And it fucking WORKED.

For the last 6 years I've been in a relationship with a woman from Bombay (they don't call it Mumbai), I've grown close to her extended family and huge circle of friends, and I've had the opportunity to travel extensively in India for a number of months over the years.

When those people want to be annoying, it can definitely topple an empire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

-On Golden Pond '81
-Rain Man '88
-The Terminator '84
-The Right Stuff '83
-Silverado '85
-E.T.  '82
-Glory '89
-Dead Poets Society '-89
-Wall Street  '87
-Out of Africa '85
-Red Dawn '84
-Gandhi '82

It’s impossible for any 10 year period to be 100% garbage, but that list kind of proves my point. If that’s the cream of the crop, it’s pretty weak.

Because I know some industry people browse the thread, some ideas for series/mini-series/movies : 

- Second Philly War. Could be cheap. Took place in the 90s. Plenty of source material. I think it would work best as a series. Whatever Showtime is spending to make City on a Hill would probably get it done

- Third Colombo War. See above. 

- Joe Watts movie. The Gotti stuff has been done to death, but Watts hasn't really been featured. Very interesting guy. Playboy, earner, and a very serious guy. 

- I've heard the Wahlbergs were working on a Boston Mob War movie set in the early 1960s. Even if it has 2-3 Wahlbergs in it, I'd still pay cash money to see this movie. Bullets over Boston was a pretty good documentary. 

- I believe there's a Spilotoro movie in the works. There's a lot of stuff that wasn't in Casino. The Ant had a lot of business in LA in addition to Vegas. 

- Harlem Purple Gang movie. The recent book Hitmen was pretty solid. The 2013 Meldish murder was the last "LCN sanctioned hit" in New York.

- Chaldean Mob movie. Basically they're a Detroit crew of Iraqis. 

- La Kosher Nostra movie. West Chicago crew of Jewish mobsters. Active from Capone well into the 1980s. 

On 5/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, henrygandorf said:

i am loving this show and perplexed by the mediocre reviews it has received.

we watched episode 1 last night.  we're totally in on this.  i thought it was great.  Matthew Goode has all but cinched an Emmy.  he's fucking brilliant.  based on the first two pages of this thread, sounds like everybody else on here is enjoying the show a lot.  so why do so many critics think it's shit?

i saw this in Rolling Stone:

Memories shared serve each differently, yet everyone collectively remembers the making of The Godfather as inspiring a high point in American cinema. Now we can all say it’s also inspired a forgettable, God-awful low point in television.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/the-offer-review-godfather-paramount-1335781/

did this clown watch the same show i did?  maybe David Fear just sucks as a critic.  he seems to hate lots of stuff.

https://www.metacritic.com/critic/david-fear

fuck him.  i can't wait to watch another episode tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

we watched episode 1 last night.  we're totally in on this.  i thought it was great.  Matthew Goode has all but cinched an Emmy.  he's fucking brilliant.  based on the first two pages of this thread, sounds like everybody else on here is enjoying the show a lot.  so why do so many critics think it's shit?

i saw this in Rolling Stone:

Memories shared serve each differently, yet everyone collectively remembers the making of The Godfather as inspiring a high point in American cinema. Now we can all say it’s also inspired a forgettable, God-awful low point in television.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/the-offer-review-godfather-paramount-1335781/

did this clown watch the same show i did?  maybe David Fear just sucks as a critic.  he seems to hate lots of stuff.

https://www.metacritic.com/critic/david-fear

fuck him.  i can't wait to watch another episode tonight.

the general feel throughout this thread was consistent confusion over the reviews. most here really liked it. i recommended it to several real world people who loved it. 

bart put out a piece saying he thought it was irresponsible that they didn’t speak to enough people, but he hadn’t even seen an episode. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

My problem with the show was that it turned into an Al Ruddy vanity piece with Ruddy being both the source material and an executive producer. Miles Teller playing Ruddy didn’t help things. 

Over the weekend, I listened to Coppola's commentary throughout Parts I and II, and I found it interesting that while he did refer to Bludhorn a few times, he never once mentioned Al Ruddy.

EDIT:  Mentioned Evans, as well.

Edited by Augustus

I pay zero attention to pro critics anymore. They all do the same thing : belittle great stuff that most folks like, and find the worst shit to find auteur perspective on, preferably in a foreign language. The Offer was excellent TV that couldn’t be done in film, and was brilliant writing. I didn’t know shit about Ruddy, and he’s a fictionalized character here, so he’s a bit over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I pay zero attention to pro critics anymore. They all do the same thing : belittle great stuff that most folks like, and find the worst shit to find auteur perspective on, preferably in a foreign language. The Offer was excellent TV that couldn’t be done in film, and was brilliant writing. I didn’t know shit about Ruddy, and he’s a fictionalized character here, so he’s a bit over the top.

They're much like MLB umpires.  They want to the game to be about them rather than the players/game.   Similar to a lot of food critics and some BBQ snobs that don't know how hard it is to recreate the same thing every day with different people/pieces of meat.   

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I'm amused by the films/shows on Rotten Tomatoes that have 20% critics approval and 94% audience approval, or vice versa.

When they're both really high or really low, it's typically a safe bet it's gonna be good/bad.  But when there's a disparity I find myself agreeing with the audience scores.

Edited by Augustus

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I'm amused by the films/shows on Rotten Tomatoes that have 20% critics approval and 94% audience approval, or vice versa.

When they're both really high or really low, it's typically a safe bet it's gonna be good/bad.  But when there's a disparity I find myself agreeing with the audience scores.

People have so many choices today with all of the streaming services.  If the audience strongly likes a show, there’s a decent chance it’s good, because otherwise they’ll just bail and never even bother rating it.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...

Ha ha.  On another thread, someone said they wouldn't pay for a streaming service because of the principle of the thing.  I realized that I stopped being able to talk about contemporaneous movies/tv not so much of the principle but just because I am lazy. 

Which is to say that I finally got the dvd from the dallas public library. Me:  You got a DVD player?  Everyone:  No one's got a DVD player.

Anyway, cut out the two main love interests and this was perfectly fun.   Although Francoiseses could have been in every scene.  In the background.  Not talking.

Stanford fight song to close the endeavor was perfect.

-- Look who finally caught up guy

• Hook 'Em 1

More 80s worth mentioning.  Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Back to the Future, Terminator, Robocop, Empire strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Heaven's Gate, Airplane, Road Fucking Warrior, Blade Runner, Aliens, King of Comedy, After Hours, Local Hero, Amadeus, Blue Velvet, Hannah and Her Sisters