2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

12 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Anyone watching this downhill alpine racing. This blue course is so much faster no one on red has a chance to win their heat. Gets a cluster fuck

Yep. It only took the announcers to figure that out an hour in and they still seemed incredulous about it. I mean 20 times watching only 1-2 skiers win on the red side or they fall or DNF and blue has all the wins and they are fucking confused. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Yep. It only took the announcers to figure that out an hour in and they still seemed incredulous about it. I mean 20 times watching only 1-2 skiers win on the red side or they fall or DNF and blue has all the wins and they are fucking confused. 

Yep been watching since 8pm and after 3 runs I’m like blue is so freaking fast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It reminds me of the summer Olympics when the vault was jacked in gymnastics. After several falls and a fairly significant injury they finally realized the height of the vault was off. I mean…wtf? Everyone is wiping out on the red side and like how can there not be something hideously wrong?????

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Everyone keeps telling me how great Shiffrin is, but has anyone considered that she’s actually not that great?

She's 2nd to only Lindsey Vaughn in total victories, but yea she might really suck

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup_women's_race_winners

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

the end of the Olympics 

I hurt for Shiffrin 

Big shout to the American 40 year old from a fellow old dude. 

thank you shaun white for all the memories. 

big ups to the first African American soeed skater winner 

fuck Gu the Chinese traitor I don’t care how hot you are  

Focker out 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I enjoyed many of the stories and Unexpected wins. I loved seeing some of the old farts (30 and above get medals.) I couldn’t stand much of the coverage focusing solely on certain stories like a broken record. I love curling but still don’t understand what’s happening. I don’t care I think I will join some local curling club. I tried very hard to put country politics aside but in the end fuck Russia. Fuck the Chinese Government not the people. Fuck the IOC. Figure skating remains a crown jewel of the Olympics that is still a cluster fuck—one that for some reason none of the other countries can truly match the ROC which baffles me. I had more fun watching many of the events where we didn’t have a real chance. Proud of our black Olympians. The red course is wrong and should be investigated in tonite’s event and I’d stand with any country that got saddled with that shit and lost. Norway kicks all of our asses in this Olympics despite all the fuckery. Fuck Goo Be Gone (hotness and talent aside) if she did it for the money and see you next Olympics. Enjoyed the stories but not the screwy coverage. Nikki out! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Ok I lied! Go Finland! What is the logo on their hockey jersey???

Fuck yes, Finland beat the Russia but not Russia team.

The logo is a stylized version of Finland’s coat of arms. Great Olympics for little but hockey mad nations as Slovakia wins bronze. Cool fact— the lion is trampling a Russian saber.

image.png.3f90804983be53724804de72b2527349.png

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Ok, so I've been a casual viewer of the Olympics. There's nothing that I make appointment television to see. But I always click over to see what's showing.

It's widely felt that the NBC coverage is bad, right? Seems like the primetime stuff is wayyy more talking/human interest than actually showing events. And then it's very, very U.S. centric. I understand the U.S.-centered broadcast, but during the Olympics I went outside the country and watched an international feed.

It was night and day. There, it was just sports non-stop. Watched skiing where it was just one after another heading down the slope. It wasn't all the ancillary camera shots of people warming up, or watching at the bottom of the hill to see if their score was beaten. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ok, so I've been a casual viewer of the Olympics. There's nothing that I make appointment television to see. But I always click over to see what's showing.

It's widely felt that the NBC coverage is bad, right? Seems like the primetime stuff is wayyy more talking/human interest than actually showing events. And then it's very, very U.S. centric. I understand the U.S.-centered broadcast, but during the Olympics I went outside the country and watched an international feed.

It was night and day. There, it was just sports non-stop. Watched skiing where it was just one after another heading down the slope. It wasn't all the ancillary camera shots of people warming up, or watching at the bottom of the hill to see if their score was beaten. 

You can stream that from nbcolympics.com with a pay login or from peacock.  And yes it's much better than nbc

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Jim Carrey Yes GIF

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So the US finished 4th in gold medals, and 5th in overall medals. Below average performance even by winter olympic standards. Shiffrin shitting the bed didn't help

Was def a tough Olympics for her. I’m assuming this is her last Olympics? I dont know shit about the sport to be fair lol. 

• Haha 1

Somebody explain this to me. In the team slalom competition last night, US goes against Norway for the bronze medal. US is down 2-1. Radamus goes last. The announcers say that he has to win by at least 0.4 seconds in order to get the tiebreaker. They race and the Norwegian guy doesn’t finish the race, but Norway wins the tiebreaker. WTF?

4 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Somebody explain this to me. In the team slalom competition last night, US goes against Norway for the bronze medal. US is down 2-1. Radamus goes last. The announcers say that he has to win by at least 0.4 seconds in order to get the tiebreaker. They race and the Norwegian guy doesn’t finish the race, but Norway wins the tiebreaker. WTF?

What the announcer meant was it had to be 0.4 seconds faster than the previous Norwegian male time. Tiebreakers are combine fastest men and women's time. Female Norwegian was faster than US time (24.32 vs 24.72). Previous round the male Norwegian skier was 24.02. Last American was 24.04. Thus Norway won.

Edited by Aleemay
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/finnish-skier-frozen-penis-reni-lindholm-beijing-olympics-1310303/

A Finnish skier competing in a cross-country event at the 2022 Beijing Olympics finished in 28th place after suffering perhaps the strangest malady of this year’s Winter Games: A frozen penis.

Reuters reports that Remi Lindholm, a Metallica-loving skier on Team Finland, began suffering frostbite on his third pole during the 50km mass start race event Sunday; the event itself was conducted under such brutal, frigid conditions that the race was first delayed by an hour and then shortened to 30 kilometers instead of 50 to protect the competitors, who wore a thin layer.

“You can guess which body part was a little bit frozen when I finished,” Lindholm told the Finnish media. “It was one of the worst competitions I’ve been in. It was just about battling through.”

Despite the frozen appendage, Lindholm still managed to place in the middle of the field in the 60-skier event, falling roughly four minutes short of the medal winners but 16 minutes ahead of the back of the pack.

Reuters notes that, somehow, this isn’t the first time Lindholm’s penis has froze mid-race, as a similar incident happened during a cross-country skiing event in Finland in 2021.

Immediately after the race, Lindholm sought relief in the form of a waiting heat pack. “When the body parts started to warm up after the finish, the pain was unbearable,” the skier added. Thankfully, Lindholm’s injury did not prevent him from enjoying his nation’s surprise gold medal in the Men’s Hockey event as well as Sunday’s closing ceremony.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It’s been like that for the last 60 plus years probably no matter who has the broadcast….  There are always Olympian story based segments (Dan and Dave, Peekaboo, Lindsey Vaughn, ect)  and why would a US network during the Olympics not be US centered??  Is it more interesting to Americans if they focus on Italy or random races no American is in, no.  I’m sure in Russia, Canada, ect  it’s all their coverage mostly because that’s what people from their own country want to see, people from their own country win and their story….

Edited by Hook1997

I didn’t watch NBC’s coverage, nor do I have Peacock, but I did watch some USA coverage, because it was close to the ESPNs, FS1, and the Tennis Channel and I was pleased that they just showed ski run after ski run after ski run… or jump after jump after jump… or Curling throw after throw after throw… (occasionally skipping ahead a few throws in the next “End”, but in general, USA just showed me he sports and that’s probably why I ended up watching some Olympics this go-round. 

ABC used to show some human interest shit, but NBC ramped that shit up to sickening heights when they took over and their female viewership shot up and men started complaining. 

I thought the USA Network coverage was decent (as was CNBC when it was on there). NBC just regurgitated what I had already seen hours before on one of the other channels, for the most part.

I was in Korea for the Pyeongchang games and yes, most of what was on Korean TV was Korea-centric. Not sure why it wouldn't have been.

The Winter Olympics are a lot of fun if you ever get the chance to attend. Going to random sports is great and most of them are inexpensive. Hoping to be in Cortina in 2024 - that will feel more like an old-school Games despite a ton of the events actually being a long way away in Milan. I had no wish to go to Beijing even pre-Covid. 

(And Nicole, do give curling a try. It's fun although it's hard as hell to "run" down the ice sheet trying to sweep!) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Hoping to be in Cortina in 2024 - that will feel more like an old-school Games despite a ton of the events actually being a long way away in Milan.

Two years of hotel bills waiting for the Games will get pricey! 

Edited by shadow_operative2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1