2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

shadow_operative2.0

Just now, pops said:

Here guys... go 85 mph on 3000 feet of vertical and you don't get to train on it because covid. This is going to get someone killed. 

The last winter olympics death I can remember is the Georgian Luger from the 2010 winter games in Vancouver who crashed and died on the track. Wouldn't surprise me to see another death here

1 hour ago, pops said:

Here guys... go 85 mph on 3000 feet of vertical and you don't get to train on it because covid. This is going to get someone killed. 

If they haven’t found anywhere to train in the last year, I’m going to blame them more than Covid….   You can’t tell me all mountains for their elite training have been shut down for the last year when most nothing has.  

Edited by Hook1997
Did they shut down ski jump training due to Covid? That’s a Chinese game plan if so.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Here's Klammer's downhill run, called by Bob Beattie and Frank Gifford - the live Olympics call.  My god this was the most exciting thing I ever saw.  There were estimates of 100,000 Austrians on the slopes at Kitzbuhel and almost no athlete was under such enormous pressure.  Switzerland's Bernard Russi laid down a tremendous run, I think he was first or near first, and the remaining 14 skiers of the "elite 15" (in downhill generally if you're not in this group, you won't win), couldn't top Russi - it was a great time.  Klammer was the last to go, do or die.  I mean, his entire run was so recklessly fast, and he was on the edge so much of crashing, it was incredible.  He basically was on a bucking bronco for 2 minutes and almost fell - at least 4 times - he was going so fast.  But he had to.  And he was behind Russi the entire run - until the last few hundred yards.  I remember watching this and thinking no way he's gonna win it - and when the clock stopped, there almost seemed like a pause - it seemed way too long - but nope!  He did it!

If you've never seen it, you might not get all that excited, but trust me, this was the most electrifying moment in Winter Olympics history.  I don't think there's ever been anything like it.

The second video is a years-after commentary on it, Klammer's remarks included.  Interesting how he says he actually looked at the crowd about halfway down.  Enjoy... this put the Winter Olympics on the map for good IMHO (USA hockey wasn't until 4 years later obviously).

This hits close to home, because in late July 1997, I stayed in a Hostel in Innsbruck that was originally built as a dorm for Olympians competing in the 1976 Winter Olympics.

I remember bits of that hostel like I stayed there last month. It was the first time I encountered wonky windows that opened wide or opened by hinging at the bottom, but swinging out about 6 inches at the top. Also, that’s where I learned what Germanic people called breakfast. In addition to cereals, yogurts, fruits, and juices, deli meats galore and Kaiser rolls meant that I could make a couple of sandwiches for later. I easily ate the cost of my room in breakfast alone. 

Here’s to you Franz!

PS- I did a hike where we met somewhere in town and then got a bus to the parking lot at the base of a ski mountain and had a guided hike through the Austrian alps passed chill cows who were led up onto the mountain in early summer and hung out there until early fall, so again… Franz is like my homeboy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Olympics Opening Ceremony draws record-low ratings: Why aren’t  Americans tuning in?

NBC is facing a cataclysmic loss of audience for the 2022 Winter Olympics as viewership tanked for Friday’s Opening Ceremony, averaging just 16 million.

It is a record low for the Opening Ceremony (20.1 million for 1988 in Calgary was the previous record) and a whopping 43 percent below the 2018 Games in South Korea that notched 28.3 million viewers despite also dealing with a less than advantageous Asian time zone for American audiences.

It comes on the heels of Thursday’s ratings disaster that saw just 7.7 million people tune in, dramatically below same-night audiences of 2018 (16 million) and 2014 from Russia (20.02 million)...

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-opening-ceremony-draws-abysmal-ratings-why-arent-americans-tuning-in-011318548.html

Olympics Opening Ceremony draws record-low ratings: Why aren’t  Americans tuning in?

NBC is facing a cataclysmic loss of audience for the 2022 Winter Olympics as viewership tanked for Friday’s Opening Ceremony, averaging just 16 million.

It is a record low for the Opening Ceremony (20.1 million for 1988 in Calgary was the previous record) and a whopping 43 percent below the 2018 Games in South Korea that notched 28.3 million viewers despite also dealing with a less than advantageous Asian time zone for American audiences.

It comes on the heels of Thursday’s ratings disaster that saw just 7.7 million people tune in, dramatically below same-night audiences of 2018 (16 million) and 2014 from Russia (20.02 million)...

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-opening-ceremony-draws-abysmal-ratings-why-arent-americans-tuning-in-011318548.html

I didn’t even know it was going on since I hadn’t watched network TV since the last playoff game. I imagine cord cutting definitely limits the awareness of it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I didn’t even know it was going on since I hadn’t watched network TV since the last playoff game. I imagine cord cutting definitely limits the awareness of it.

what you don't have Peacock??!!

surprised Calgary was so low.  being US time zone and before cord cutting.

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is hard to do considering all the bullshit X games activities they've added.

The Asian territories are dominating several x games sports now. Pretty sure the Japanese are favored to win the mens halfpipe, which obviously was once dominated by American Shaun White 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

If they haven’t found anywhere to train in the last year, I’m going to blame them more than Covid….   You can’t tell me all mountains for their elite training have been shut down for the last year when most nothing has.  

fans GIF

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

The Asian territories are dominating several x games sports now. Pretty sure the Japanese are favored to win the mens halfpipe 

the humorous part about the xgames activities is the clothing.  It would seem that you would want the least amount of drag as possible but they all wear the big floppy coats with hoods and baggy pants.   no one wants to be the first uncool kid.

• Hook 'Em 2