MC5
New York Dolls
Dolly Parton*
Rage Against the Machine
Lionel Richie*
Carly Simon*
A Tribe Called Quest*
Dionne Warwick

I saw Lionel Richie in Vegas a few years back.    The GF wanted to go.  I was like "sure, OK, Lionel Richie is OK, it shouldn't be horrible".

Holy fuck.  Hit after hit after hit after hit.  I knew all of the songs, but I never really put it together just how deep the dudes catalog is.  He's a take, for sure. 

Carly Simon?  Meh.  Nice career, for sure.  But HOF?  I say not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I saw Lionel Richie in Vegas a few years back.    The GF wanted to go.  I was like "sure, OK, Lionel Richie is OK, it shouldn't be horrible".

Holy fuck.  Hit after hit after hit after hit.  I knew all of the songs, but I never really put it together just how deep the dudes catalog is.  He's a take, for sure. 

I fuckin love Lionel Richie.  Always have. Always will

• Hook 'Em 1

Ritchie, Duran Duran, Priest, MC5

If Johnny Cash is in, then Dolly should be in.

I was kinda meh on Benatar, just because never really listened to her much and Love is a Battlefield is seared in my "the 80's had some shitty overplayed MTV songs" brain, so I looked her up. 

6 Platinum(3 multi platinum) albums and 3 Gold albums.  absolutely should be in.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I was kinda meh on Benatar, just because never really listened to her much and Love is a Battlefield is seared in my "the 80's had some shitty overplayed MTV songs" brain, so I looked her up. 

6 Platinum(3 multi platinum) albums and 3 Gold albums.  absolutely should be in.

Pat Benatar was huge. Also, there were three girls at Ridgemont High who cultivated the Pat Benatar look. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just induct the whole goddamned list. Seriously they are all great and deserving.

I also can't wrap my head around the fact that The Commodores are not in already and Lionel is just now a first time nominee. Wtf.

Edited by smuggs

57 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Beck’s resume looks better to me than Benatar’s.

no. but I was kinda half joking about Beck.  He's fine.  I just like to shit on Beck because Beck fans are like OMG Beck, like he's the second coming of Dylan or something.  He'll just be the Harold Baines of the RR HoF.  someone has to be.

that said no Beck or Carly Simon before Commodores.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:47 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Pat Benatar was huge. Also, there were three girls at Ridgemont High who cultivated the Pat Benatar look. 

And she's been married to her guitarist, Neil Giraldo, for 40 years, which is pretty amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

And she's been married to her guitarist, Neil Giraldo, for 40 years, which is pretty amazing.

There was a piece about them on CBS Sunday Morning 2-3 weeks ago. It was really good. He was a total partner in writing and producing all of her music. They’re still together and completely happy. Nothing controversial about them at all. They just made a lot of great music together. 

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There was a piece about them on CBS Sunday Morning 2-3 weeks ago. It was really good. He was a total partner in writing and producing all of her music. They’re still together and completely happy. Nothing controversial about them at all. They just made a lot of great music together. 

I saw some hour-long interview Dan Rather did with them a few years ago. They are a great story.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:43 AM, The University said:

anyone actually visited the hof? is it as exciting as eating a burger in a hard rock cafe?

I suppose it depends on your definition of exciting. It’s way more exciting than eating a hamburger. Or even a cheeseburger in paradise. (That restaurant sucks, btw.)

I’ve been there a number of times but haven’t visited in years. The little film they showed in the theater about the history of rock was, I thought, worth the price of admission. That was pretty cool even though it was maybe just 15-20 minutes long. As I recall it was mostly music with very little narration. And then you’ve got just tons of memorabilia from throughout the ages, from guitars to wardrobe to cars and anything else. Furthur isn’t there but the hot dog Phish rode in on at the old Boston Garden at midnight on NYE 1994 is (I was at that show.)

They have different exhibits that occupy the main space and it depends on whether you’re interested in them or not. You can whisk in and out pretty easily and have a decent time but there are a lot of little nooks and crannies that you can explore if you want to spend the time.

It’s an impossible challenge. It’s imperfect. Everyone is always going to bitch, there are other museums, this artist belongs, this artist doesn’t, blah blah blah blah blah. I think it’s worth a look.

And yes, Cleveland rocks.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:43 AM, The University said:

anyone actually visited the hof? is it as exciting as eating a burger in a hard rock cafe?

I probably wouldn't make a special trip, but I was in Cleveland on business several years ago and I had an afternoon to kill so I went.  It was worthwhile.  The Springsteen exhibit was showing and it was very cool for a Springsteen fan.  That said, with non-Rock and Roll acts getting in now I probably wouldn't go.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, Gil Bang said:

He should be in the pop hall of fame 

Is there a reason the HOF hates classic rock from the 1970’s/1980’s?  Groups like Foreigner, Boston, Bad Company, Judas Priest, Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Grand Funk Railroad, seem to be HOF worthy yet the HOF is more interested in rap/pop acts or obscure acts.  That being said, Lionel Richie is a musical genius and he and the Commodores should be in along with Pat Benatar and A Tribe Called Quest.

Also, Underdog’s take on Carly Simon having the best Bond song is absolutely correct.  Nobody does it better is great and a close second would be For Your Eyes Only.  Older folks might go with something like Goldfinger but I digress.

• Like 1