Travel Backpack Recs Wanted

Post Oak

Our family has a few trips planned this year after not travelling for the last couple.

I am interested in any insight to carry on backpacks.  Should be big enough for 4-5 day trips.

I've looked at Peak Design, Ebags and Aer. 

Also should I buy some packing cubes or no?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

Our family has a few trips planned this year after not travelling for the last couple.

I am interested in any insight to carry on backpacks.  Should be big enough for 4-5 day trips.

I've looked at Peak Design, Ebags and Aer. 

Also should I buy some packing cubes or no?

Thanks

My GF is a swim coach.  I stole one of her school Speedo swim backpacks.  It's great for carry on - probably one of the better ones I've used.

Are you looking at carry-on to the exclusion of checked bags?  Are you really going to need to "wear" it/carry it for any extended period of time or just "hands free" for a while in the airport and on the plane?

Osprey is a top brand in real backpacking gear, and makes some carry-on sized packs.  They seem to be big (large capacity in liters) and you can rest fairly assured that they are comfortable to "wear," and have well-engineered pockets and compartments.  They are a bit spendy.

This is a bigun. May push the envelope on fitting in carry-on box depending on how tight you stuff it.  https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Daylite-Carry-Travel-Backpack/dp/B092Z6TZ8W?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I will mainly use it for to and from the airport I won't be using it on day trips or hikes. We'll be taking our kids so I'll need to be as hands free as possible.

The majority of our trips will be 4-5days so I don't want to check a bag.  Next year we are planning on a 10day or so Euro trip so I'll bring it with a checked bag.

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are you looking at carry-on to the exclusion of checked bags?  Are you really going to need to "wear" it/carry it for any extended period of time or just "hands free" for a while in the airport and on the plane?

Osprey is a top brand in real backpacking gear, and makes some carry-on sized packs.  They seem to be big (large capacity in liters) and you can rest fairly assured that they are comfortable to "wear," and have well-engineered pockets and compartments.  They are a bit spendy.

This is a bigun. May push the envelope on fitting in carry-on box depending on how tight you stuff it.  https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Daylite-Carry-Travel-Backpack/dp/B092Z6TZ8W?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Check this out. We have the next one up, which is expendable,  and went 2 weeks in Italy with only doing laundry once

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

1 minute ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Osprey 40 liter carry on sized backpack. I’ve flown around the world multiple times with mine. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. 

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/farpoint-travel-pack-carry-on-40-FARPNT40.html

2nd for Osprey and I'll check out anything Rick Steves recommends.

Thx

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been a backpack guy for many years.  For international esp when I will be dealing with carrying everything I am taking in one bag and holding passport, boarding passes, train or bus passes or using public transpo and holding a kids hand etc its the only way to go IMO.    

Ill use a standard roller when Im doing a trip that is going to involve a bus to a rental car. 

Generally 40L is the max for a carry on.   That 44L says it meets TSA.   Personally I've found most of the Osprey to be too rigid/molded.  It seems to me that I can carry more in my Eagle Creek than a similar 40L from Osprey.    Osprey has the name so don't be surprised to see 10 bags just like yours.

I like my 40L so much that I bought both my kids 30L to carry as well as I have Eagle Creek daypack as well as a foldable travel backpack as well.  

https://www.amazon.com/eagle-creek-Travel-Small-Medium/dp/B0992RQKMR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3N88457MVVSB&keywords=eagle+creek&qid=1644195239&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=eagle+creek%2Csporting%2C95&sr=1-5

I also just bought this 35L for smaller trips.  Haven't actually been able to use it yet.

https://www.cotopaxi.com/products/allpa-35l-travel-pack?variant=39514010124349&feed=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=6516994940&utm_creative=383502533246&utm_placement=&utm_adposition=&utm_keyword=&utm_adtype=&utm_product_id=39514010353725&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgP6PBhDmARIsAPWMq6nJCbrC75aIhGHmW_GYMVgQMPuRAtWxWqOPS-mglhwDqDCwon25vTYaAnRaEALw_wcB

Edited by midtown

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I've been a backpack guy for many years.  For international esp when I will be dealing with carrying everything I am taking in one bag and holding passport, boarding passes, train or bus passes or using public transpo and holding a kids hand etc its the only way to go IMO.    

Ill use a standard roller when Im doing a trip that is going to involve a bus to a rental car. 

Generally 40L is the max for a carry on.   That 44L says it meets TSA.   Personally I've found most of the Osprey to be too rigid/molded.  It seems to me that I can carry more in my Eagle Creek than a similar 40L from Osprey.    Osprey has the name so don't be surprised to see 10 bags just like yours.

I like my 40L so much that I bought both my kids 30L to carry as well as I have Eagle Creek daypack as well as a foldable travel backpack as well.  

https://www.amazon.com/eagle-creek-Travel-Small-Medium/dp/B0992RQKMR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3N88457MVVSB&keywords=eagle+creek&qid=1644195239&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=eagle+creek%2Csporting%2C95&sr=1-5

I also just bought this 35L for smaller trips.  Haven't actually been able to use it yet.

https://www.cotopaxi.com/products/allpa-35l-travel-pack?variant=39514010124349&feed=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=6516994940&utm_creative=383502533246&utm_placement=&utm_adposition=&utm_keyword=&utm_adtype=&utm_product_id=39514010353725&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgP6PBhDmARIsAPWMq6nJCbrC75aIhGHmW_GYMVgQMPuRAtWxWqOPS-mglhwDqDCwon25vTYaAnRaEALw_wcB

Thanks

• Hook 'Em 1

It sounds like you just need your hands free and back pack mode for the airport. If you are not actually using it as a backpack around town, check out the Patagonia Black Hole MLC. It's the max 45L for carry on, the back pack straps are very comfortable, but you can also carry it by a handle or shoulder strap if desired. The design makes it easy to live out of at the hotel vs digging around in the bottom of your back pack for stuff. We never check bags. I can easily put a weeks worth of clothes and an extra pair of shoes in it. I've found it to be the best compromise of useful carry on with comfortable backpack mode option. 

All of you that have not used a travel backpack, they open just like a roller bag. There is no digging around the bottom. There is no being inferior to a carryon, because they open identically to one. They also have very comfortable straps, and a robust waist belt, much like the best backpacking bags. It’s the best of both worlds.

Google Osprey Farpoint. I don’t know if it’s the first, and it may no longer be the best, but it’s the standard.

@Post Oak just read the reviews, they will not lead you astray. Yes I do use packing cubes with my farpoints, but I have never “loved” them. I do guess they aid in organizing, but I’m not sure they really add more space like folks claim.

I tried packing cubes. Gave them away. Complete waste of space. Just learn how to efficiently pack a bag.

Lots of great bag recommendations on here. A quality travel bag is worth every penny.

Bonus is that you can use your pack as a workout by just carrying it up and down the terminal for some added exercise.

Also be prepared to hear this a lot.. "sir that's all you have? Just one bag" I get that constantly

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

You people are just helping him become yet another person who will spend 5 minutes trying to cram an overstuffed bag in to the overhead storage compartment.

Its never the travel pack folks causing the issue and you know it.  Its 100% the 5'1 women and olds trying to lift a 30 lb roller into the overhead and turning it every which way but the correct way.  Also bins have gotten much bigger to where 44Ls fit now.

• Hook 'Em 1

My backpack rant:  

Too many straps and too many pockets.  Having shit strapped all over the outside of your pack is irritating.  I can see maybe a simple pair of compression straps if your not disciplined enough to just pack less, but you really don’t need a dozen loops and adjustment straps all over it.   Pockets on top of other pockets defeat the purpose.  Once you fill one of them up, the other is nearly unusable and is now wasted cloth. I like having one large cavernous packing area, one single pocket for earbuds, snack passport, etc... and a tablet sleeve against the back.  

Ospey makes good stuff and I have a huge one for backpacking in the wilderness and another for a hydration backpack on long mountain bike rides.  But for civilized travel I like the plainer packs with fewer bells and whistles.  I like the Peak Designs 45L. Lots of space without 14 unnecessary pockets. The  Eagle Creek pack midtown posted above is a great bag for half the price.  

Packing cubes are a waste.  Some people swear by them.  I don’t get it.  I can roll, fold, and pack my clothes in the exact same manner without using the cube.  I live out of a suitcase 3 days a week.  I’ve never had a problem that a packing cube could solve.  

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Love my Osprey hiking pack and I usually use it for carry on. Mine is too small for 4-5 but they make plenty bigger. Great Rec

I love my vintage 1950s Swiss backpack that I bought in the 90s at the army surplus place with the old Army ambulance that used to sit just north of campus. The store is probably gone. It was near the Spider House. Probably gone too.

You have to maintain the leather, but that thing is rug-ged. Been all over Europe, the US, and Mexico by nearly every conveyance other than chariots. And it would look good on a chariot.

For extra stowage I zigzagged a spare bootlace over the top flap in places provided for that sort of thing, then I'd take a spare belt and use it as a strap for whatever small thing I wanted to lash to the top.

The shoulder straps dig in, the whole layout is dated, and the materials are heavy, but that just means you need to harden the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I love my vintage 1950s Swiss backpack that I bought in the 90s at the army surplus place with the old Army ambulance that used to sit just north of campus. The store is probably gone. It was near the Spider House. Probably gone too.

You have to maintain the leather, but that thing is rug-ged. Been all over Europe, the US, and Mexico by nearly every conveyance other than chariots. And it would look good on a chariot.

For extra stowage I zigzagged a spare bootlace over the top flap in places provided for that sort of thing, then I'd take a spare belt and use it as a strap for whatever small thing I wanted to lash to the top.

The shoulder straps dig in, the whole layout is dated, and the materials are heavy, but that just means you need to harden the fuck up. 

Or, you could just do like us civilized folks do, and engage a squad of porters to hump your stuff.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My daughter asked for and got one of these for Xmas (in the 40L size) -- Baboon to the Moon:

https://baboontothemoon.com/products/go-bag-small-duffle#variant=navy

BTTM-GBS-navy-1_product-gallery.png?v=0&

BTTM-GBS-navy-3_product-gallery.png?v=0&

Her purpose was a travel backpack for 4-5 day trips, via air.  She hasn't used it yet, but she got it because friends of hers swear by them.

my bday is coming up, ill take one in grey or black. thanks man !

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Spider House is gone. 

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/6/2022 at 6:39 PM, Johnny Chimpo said:

Osprey 40 liter carry on sized backpack. I’ve flown around the world multiple times with mine. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. 

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/farpoint-travel-pack-carry-on-40-FARPNT40.html

I second this. Has a huge capacity and packs down really well. It’s a nice mix between a backpacking pack and a more traditional carry on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

As an update to this. I bought a 42L peak design thinking that I it would get me just a bit more room than my 40L Eagle Creek. Negative. I got just a few things in yesterday and knew instantly it was not going to hold anything close.

I'll probably keep it for smaller trips and let my kids use it IMG_20220508_163738_553.jpgPXL_20220508_164131703.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

That Peak Design bag is the shit though - I use it all the time. Great for active trips where I'm lugging a camera and electronics but also want to maybe pack my helmet, cycling shoes, etc.

Just enough pockets, love that it has a full zip access from the part that has the back straps - that way when you lay it down you can access your stuff and not get the part that touches you dirty from the dreck of a 3rd-world airport or the great outdoors. Deep secure side pockets, fits over the handle of a rolling bag, hidden waist band, laptop sleeve, side and top quick carry straps... It's super technical but doesn't shout that I'm backpacker. Darn near everything Peak Design makes is great (tech pouches, capture clip, etc.). It's the largest you can carry on for international regulations, and even though it's basically one big space it can fill up quickly. 

Ode to my PD 45L. I've taken it all around the world at this point. Great bag. 

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/travel-backpack/?variant=11530908172332