Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

fucking hell.  i had been a bit disappointed in the slow pace to this season, especially coming off the high of season 5, but that episode right there completely made up for it.  and not just due to the ending.  the entire episode was great.

fucking lalo.  might just be the greatest character in the entire breaking bad universe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Not sure how Slippin’ Jimmy gets out of this one. Obviously Lalo doesn’t kill him. So let’s say Lalo has a menacing talk and leaves. Jimmy and Kim still have a dead body in their house. And oh yeah, Howard was last seen going to Jimmy’s house to confront him. Even if Mike disappears the body somehow, thee authorities are going to be looking for a missing prominent attorney. And it’s well known that Howard is feuding with Jimmy. He’ll be the cop’s only suspect. 

Solid episode that obviously is a setup for the mid-season cliff hanger.
We all like to speculate on Kim or Lalo but I wonder if Hamlin makes it out of the series alive. I could see him confronting Jimmy at some point when Lalo makes an appearance. Lalo wouldn't have much patience for Howard.
So what is the consensus on the plan to take down Hamlin? I assume that was the first appearance of his wife who has been mentioned before. 

You’re a wizard, Harry.

Pretty striking parallel there between Howard and Lalo. Both are being targeted in next gen thinking scams. One realizes after the fact, the other sees it real time. Is Gus smart enough to know that Lalo would sniff out his trap and plan a second contingency?

Can Gillian and co just do Breaking Bad spin offs the rest of their lives? Gimme Skyler going through some post Walt legal shit. Lalo origin. Christ let’s flash forward 20 years and watch Holly break bad. Fuck it. I trust these dudes to make it glorious and awesome 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I will just stand by my prediction here.

OK, that’s just straight up you knew what was going to happen.

That’s not some bullshit voodoo “I figured it out from context clues” stuff.

Feel free to PM me the rest of the season’s plot points so that I don’t have to wait around to watch it all.

4 hours ago, Not a cat said:

What was it during the first call to the old folks home that made lalo realize gus was recording the line? 

The line made a repeated clicking noise when he was on hold. 

Closed captioning helped me with that one, as it mentioned the clicking directly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think Kim is just fine. When they showed Jimmy’s mansion being raided by the feds, there were women’s clothes and such.

My guess is she keeps doing her legal aid thing while Jimmy rakes in the cartel money. He vacuum repairs but she doesn’t have to because she’s clean. That’s my guess. 

Was Howard just in the wrong place at the wrong time or was there some connection with him and Lalique that I missed?

Also, why were jimmy and Kim so afraid of him in the first place again? Do we know for sure why he’s there? I can’t remember how they left it with him.

Does Lalo know who Howard is/was?  It seemed a little careless to do what he did to a relatively high profile lawyer. 

And was this the Plan A he mentioned to Hector, or was that just to throw Gus off his trail?

Will we see Kim in pajamas again?

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Was Howard just in the wrong place at the wrong time or was there some connection with him and Lalique that I missed?

Also, why were jimmy and Kim so afraid of him in the first place again? Do we know for sure why he’s there? I can’t remember how they left it with him.

Jimmy still thinks Lalo is dead.  He's literally seeing a ghost (and that was totally the expression on his face).

Howard was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Lalo killed him because he was there and could potentially be a witness to Lalo's presence in the future.  I don't think he knows nor cares who Howard is.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

I can’t figure out why the broken arm in the fake mediator photos mattered. They were going to have the PI swap the pay-off photo with the frisbee photo, anyway. 

the photos were supposedly taken that morning so they would have been obvious fakes without a cast on his arm.

2 minutes ago, WithoutAClue said:

the photos were supposedly taken that morning so they would have been obvious fakes without a cast on his arm.

I get that. But was Howard, under the influence of the topical drug and shocked at a mediator being crooked, really going to recall whether the mediator had a broken arm in the photos. 

From the Mike and Kim meeting, did Mike imply that his surveillance of Jimmy and Kim was ending? I don't think so, but I can't recall. 

I could only see Jimmy and Kim getting out of that apt alive in 3 ways

1. They have something that has to be shown to Lalo which requires them to go with him. (I can't think of anything that fits this)
  2. Mike has his crew intervene somehow at the apartment

3. (Don't unspoil if you want to be surprised with the show)

Spoiler

Kim somehow stabs Lalo in the eye with the expensive Tequila bottle top. 

Maybe a combo of 2 & 3

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

10 minutes ago, miguelito said:

When Lalo walked in, Jimmy was saying " how, how..." Finally Kim said "Howard."

I thought Jimmy was thinking "how are you alive?"

For sure,  Jimmy was saying "How?" to Lalo, not Howard.  As one review I saw this morning said, he was looking at a ghost.

Speaking of Lalo and what a psychopath he is, not specific to last night, but when he goes to the home of the couple and kills them so they can stage a body double, according to the writers, that was deliberate, in that the guy had been set up to be Lalo's double for years, christ!

Lalo needed a body to make his death look believable to Gus and the world after a group of mercenaries failed to kill him in the season-five finale. In the premiere, Lalo suggests that Mateo shaves his face to look similar to him before killing him off screen.

On the "Better Call Saul Insider" podcast, the team explained how that man was always meant to be a body double of Lalo's in case things ever went sideways. He didn't come up with that plan randomly.

"We had this idea that he had a double," Gould said. "The idea was, this is a guy who he spotted, who's a regular normal human being, and he's brought this family to live in the Salamanca neighborhood. Unfortunately for them, this is the moment that he needs his double."

Gould said they had many conversations about whether Lalo's double should be aware that he was living on borrowed time and was Lalo's double. They decided he should be in the dark. 

"I think the idea is that they're honest people, and they're very grateful to Lalo for all the good things he's done for them, but now it's time to pay the piper," Gould said.

"I don't think they know what their job is," Gilligan added.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From the Mike and Kim meeting, did Mike imply that his surveillance of Jimmy and Kim was ending? I don't think so, but I can't recall. 

Everybody got pulled away from the side jobs (Jimmy, Mike's daughter-in-law) to go stand guard at Gus' house and the laundromat since they think Lalo is coming for Gus.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

I get that. But was Howard, under the influence of the topical drug and shocked at a mediator being crooked, really going to recall whether the mediator had a broken arm in the photos. 

Howard would have noticed.  Hell he noticed everything else.

Howard is not stupid, he just plays by the rules.  That's how Jimmy's able to catch him off-guard.  Jimmy does things that Howard would never consider. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

well, considering the mediator was sitting in the conference room with a cast on his arm I think even a drugged Howard might notice that. but what do I know?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I think Kim is just fine. When they showed Jimmy’s mansion being raided by the feds, there were women’s clothes and such.

My guess is she keeps doing her legal aid thing while Jimmy rakes in the cartel money. He vacuum repairs but she doesn’t have to because she’s clean. That’s my guess. 

I think there was a random bra lying around but I don't think they showed any women's clothes in the closet.  And then of course the tequila top.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Well they're afraid because he's a cartel member for one, and he already came in to the apartment once and threatened them because he didn't believe the story about the bail money and the desert, etc.  

1 hour ago, hookem17 said:

Other than high dose caffeine type symptoms I think the only side effect of the drug was the pupil dilation. They specifically did not want Howard feeling like he had been drugged