Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

24 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Not to mention the crew that was apparently composed of Moe, Larry and Shemp trying to assassinate Lalo last season. I left out Curly because he was probably competent enough to get the job done 

this ran through my head.  that a fucking trained hit squad couldn’t kill Lalo but the chicken man could.  oh well. 

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm gonna say it: The entire Lalo/Gus sequence was contrived and stupid.

That Gus' 4 or 5 supposedly top hired gunmen would stand around in the dark facing the same way within feet of each other while not knowing Lalos whereabouts is a bridge to far. Total derp. 

Gus foresight that he would be in the exact location of the cable and revolver 

Maybe I'm missing something, but it was terrible.

Rest of ep was nails tho.

Maybe Mike took the top-tier guys and left the rookies with Gus?

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I'm gonna say it: The entire Lalo/Gus sequence was contrived and stupid.

That Gus' 4 or 5 supposedly top hired gunmen would stand around in the dark facing the same way within feet of each other while not knowing Lalos whereabouts is a bridge to far. Total derp.

It doesn't seem that farfetched to me.  I think the issue was that Gus went to the laundromat merely on a hunch that Lalo might be there, but he wasn't sure.  He probably didn't say anything to his crew about the possibility of Lalo being there, he just brought them along because he couldn't leave the house without a security detail, therefore the team wasn't looking for anything, or anyone specific.  Even when Gus spotted the exhaust fan that had been disabled, he didn't say anything to anyone about what he thought it might mean, and by then, it was too late for the security detail anyway.  Was the security detail lax?  Sure, but as someone mentioned up thread somewhere, the A team guys were probably with Mike, and Gus had the B team.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Greg Davis Apologist said:

If I’m ever a member of the cartel and capture a perceived traitor, I’m going to be sure to at least tie his hands behind his back while he leads me around his underground meth lab. Lalo should’ve saved a zip tie for Gus.

Yes or just shoot him in the head the second he opens the door to the lab, then do your little video tour and get out of there. But it was perfectly in character for Lalo. He was over-confident to the point of arrogance and couldn’t help himself. He just HAD to lead Gus around and video him the whole time talking shit.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

It doesn't seem that farfetched to me.  I think the issue was that Gus went to the laundromat merely on a hunch that Lalo might be there, but he wasn't sure.  He probably didn't say anything to his crew about the possibility of Lalo being there, he just brought them along because he couldn't leave the house without a security detail, therefore the team wasn't looking for anything, or anyone specific.  Even when Gus spotted the exhaust fan that had been disabled, he didn't say anything to anyone about what he thought it might mean, and by then, it was too late for the security detail anyway.  Was the security detail lax?  Sure, but as someone mentioned up thread somewhere, the A team guys were probably with Mike, and Gus had the B team.

Yes and Mike even acknowledged that what Gus did was reckless and he was lucky to get out of it.

He said something along the lines of, “this worked out but it could have easily gone the other way…”

Yes or just shoot him in the head the second he opens the door to the lab, then do your little video tour and get out of there. But it was perfectly in character for Lalo. He was over-confident to the point of arrogance and couldn’t help himself. He just HAD to lead Gus around and video him the whole time talking shit.

Well then breaking bad wouldn’t make sense
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

What they were saying on the BCS insider podcast is that if Lalo was going to kill Gus, he needed to get comprehensive proof to show Don Eladio and that even then he may be in hot water for killing the “golden goose” of their distribution network which is why Lalo was more than willing to let Gus talk shit about Eladio right before he cut the lights and shot Lalo

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm sure this is a stupid question, but why did Jimmy insist that Kim go instead of him?

He wanted to get her out of the apartment so she could run, instead of her being left their defenseless with Lalo.  He did not intend for her to go Gus' house and try to whack him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When Kim was at Gus' house being questioned, and was asked why she'd come, she looked around the room, pointed at the black guy and said "I'm supposed to kill him."

I so badly wanted that dude to say, "Oh so we all look alike, huh?  Bitch."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

He reasonably expected the possibility that at some point Lalo was going to break into the lab in order to prove to Don Eladio what was Gus was up to.  When/how that would happen he didn't know.

He put 2 and 2 together real quick when he heard Lalo had changed his mind to implement Jimmy's argument that Kim should go to Gus' at which point it was obvious that Lalo was setting up distractions so he could get into the lab. 

It wasn't far fetched.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

ok i'm just seeing that i somehow missed two pages of people asking/answering the same questions as me. and yeah, there's really no way to logically make sense of how gus knew exactly how/what/where to set everything up for his final showdown with lalo.

Gus leaving the gun down in the lab is the equivalent of a normal person keeping a gun in the nightstand. Obviously you're not planning on having a shootout in your bedroom, but you want to be prepared in case the worst happens. Gus knew Lalo was looking for the lab and that he'd eventually find it the longer he evaded Mike and his men -- and he sure as hell wasn't going to let himself get cornered down there with no way to defend himself if worse came to worst. Seems logical to me.

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Gus leaving the gun down in the lab is the equivalent of a normal person keeping a gun in the nightstand. Obviously you're not planning on having a shootout in your bedroom, but you want to be prepared in case the worst happens. Gus knew Lalo was looking for the lab and that he'd eventually find it the longer he evaded Mike and his men -- and he sure as hell wasn't going to let himself get cornered down there with no way to defend himself if worse came to worst. Seems logical to me.

i'm sorry, but these excuses are ridiculous.  gus even said himself during this episode that he didn't know that lalo was there. the idea that Gus was able to foresee the exact spot where he and lalo would have their final showdown is a bridge too far. it goes beyond my suspension of disbelief. as someone said, lalo could have just shot him in the head the moment they walked into the lab. 

the scenario where Mike hid his gun in the crooked cop's backseat took a lot of different things going right for it to work, but it wasn't beyond possibility. gus presciently knowing the exact place where he would ultimately square off with lalo? no. that's plot armor. or lazy writing. take your pick. 

7 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Yes this.

Gus didn’t put the gun down there because he was specifically expecting that to happen. We saw pretty much all through both Breaking Bad and BCS that Gus was always playing 4D chess — planning for all possible eventualities that he could envision.

Lalo breaking into the lab and Gus finding himself down there with him was simply one of the many eventualities that he planned for.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

finally figured out how to watch,  d'oh! 

i found myself really sad for Howard at the end. then i was thinking about Chuck and what he would have thought...

i mean damn, this show has some seriously complex characters. 

fuck Lalo...Howard deserved better. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

You’re watching a show where a high school chemistry teacher becomes the meth kingpin of the Southwest by cooking “perfect meth”, taking on the Mexican cartel and winning and this was a bridge too far? 

LOL Ok.

yes. that scene was the second least believable scene in the entire BB/BCS universe, only second to Gus Fring fixing his tie with half a face. it was poorly written and completely unbelievable.

"hey, i know that this Lalo guy has been 2-3 steps ahead of me and my entire organization this entire time, and that he's basically impossible to kill, but i'm guessing- nay- guaranteeing that at some point in the future he and i will have a fight to the death * right in this exact spot* inside my secret meth lab, a spot where he and i will only find ourselves together if Lalo has found my lab, has killed my men, and now has me down in the lab where he clearly has the upper hand. welp, i guess i'd better hide my gun right here in this exact spot for when this happens. and oh yeah, i'll just go ahead and kick this giant power cord, which will successfully complete the task of physically pulling the two sides apart, which is required to turn off the lights." 

that's late-season Game of Thrones stupid. slurp it all you want, that was wildly unbelievable.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Fuck You 1

On 7/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, TexasMan said:

Howard wasn't in the game. 

On 7/12/2022 at 1:18 PM, hookem2010 said:

The scenes of Howard the last 1+ episodes have been so intense. Showing him getting killed wasn't enough. We then see him stuffed inside a refrigerator and buried with his murderer in a secret drug cave, while Mike asks Gus's guys to drop him in the grave gently, as if there can be any dignity left for him at that point. Gilligan does an incredible job of making an initially unlikable character into one you feel so much sympathy for.

Yup. And his condescending tone when addressing Saul and Kim, “this is what you two fucksticks wanted, isn’t it?”  Perfect. 

The whole episode. This whole BCS/BB universe. Such incredible television. The whole damn cast deserves Emmys (and Michael McKean was robbed of one for his performance in “Chicanery.”) I’d love to get a series following young Mike in Philly, but who could play a young Jonathan Banks. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

yes. that scene was the second least believable scene in the entire BB/BCS universe, only second to Gus Fring fixing his tie with half a face. it was poorly written and completely unbelievable.

"hey, i know that this Lalo guy has been 2-3 steps ahead of me and my entire organization this entire time, and that he's basically impossible to kill, but i'm guessing- nay- guaranteeing that at some point in the future he and i will have a fight to the death * right in this exact spot* inside my secret meth lab, a spot where he and i will only find ourselves together if Lalo has found my lab, has killed my men, and now has me down in the lab where he clearly has the upper hand. welp, i guess i'd better hide my gun right here in this exact spot for when this happens. and oh yeah, i'll just go ahead and kick this giant power cord, which will successfully complete the task of physically pulling the two sides apart, which is required to turn off the lights." 

that's late-season Game of Thrones stupid. slurp it all you want, that was wildly unbelievable.

You keep saying "this exact spot' like Gus just opened up a map and tossed a dart at it, then left the gun near the closest intersection.

If they came face to face there was a damn good chance it was going to be the lab because either Lalo was gonna find it and break in there, or somehow get hold of Gus and force Gus to take him there.  For Lalo, everything hinged on proving the lab's existence, so it's hardly Nostradamus worthy that he'd think to plant a weapon there and make a mental note of how he could kill the lights.

Yes, he could have easily died anyway but instead we saw a hardly unrealistic example of guy letting his pride and a carelessness--borne of thinking he was in no danger--cost him dearly.

Gus may well have had guns stashed at Pollos Hermanos, in his car, and/or a dozen other places just in case he got cornered by Lalo.  Maybe it would've helped this scene go down easier if we'd seen that.  

No, I don't think it was one of the better examples of a lot of stuff they've written, but I hardly think it was the insult to the audience's intelligence that you think it is.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just a weird thing to argue multiple posts about when you could basically pick apart every episode of breaking bad if you wanted to.

Freaking teddy bear from Jessie’s girlfriend dads flight happens to land in Walt’s pool? Such horseshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Quagmire said:

Just a weird thing to argue multiple posts about when you could basically pick apart every episode of breaking bad if you wanted to.

Freaking teddy bear from Jessie’s girlfriend dads flight happens to land in Walt’s pool? Such horseshit.

Or, you know, a high school chemistry teacher turned Pablo Escobar within like 18 months. That could totally happen….

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm sorry, but these excuses are ridiculous.  gus even said himself during this episode that he didn't know that lalo was there. the idea that Gus was able to foresee the exact spot where he and lalo would have their final showdown is a bridge too far. it goes beyond my suspension of disbelief. as someone said, lalo could have just shot him in the head the moment they walked into the lab. 

the scenario where Mike hid his gun in the crooked cop's backseat took a lot of different things going right for it to work, but it wasn't beyond possibility. gus presciently knowing the exact place where he would ultimately square off with lalo? no. that's plot armor. or lazy writing. take your pick. 

Gus is a control freak maniac.  Think Michael Jordan level small details type guy.  He had his mind wound up so tight that he put a gun down there just in case.    He knew that Lalo knew about the lab, we’ve known that for several seasons.  He knew that as long as Lalo was alive, he would try to get proof of it for Don Eladio.   So he let his manic take over.  

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Your histrionical posts about “the unbelievable” are fucking unbelievable.  Jesus, you’re the equivalent of putting a cold wet sock on your dick before sex.   

I just can’t believe fucking ET would eat Reese’s Pieces and drink Coors Banquet!  The fact that that motherfucker wasn’t eating tofu and popping Opus 1 just kisses me off and makes me believe that ET was a lizard person in all reality.  

• Hook 'Em 3

yeah, it's soooo nitpicky of me to find Gus Fring's actual clairvoyance to be a tad unbelievable. the man has an insanely elaborate and well vetted set up of protection, from the dozens of men who guard him, to the surveillance technology, to his custom made suburban defebse fortress, and you're going with the idea that Gus's natural conclusion was that he and lalo would ultimately face off 1 v 1 at that exact spot on the floor of his secret meth lab? ok. if Gus had previously been established as the only actual psychic in the entire world, then sure, that's a totally reasonable outcome. but please, continue to absolutely freak out over all of this. it's definitely worth it. 

also, why does Gus even have men at this point? he sends 15 of them to kill lalo, they fail. Gus is surrounded by his men when he enters the laundry, and lalo kills them all in five seconds. meanwhile, lalo captures gus, shoots gus, has an unarmed Gus dead to rights, only to have Gus kill him rather easily due to his clairvoyant hidden gun plan which took place exactly where he predicted it would. feels like Gus is 100x more deadly than all of his men combined. 

17 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Again, you think it requires clairvoyance for Gus to predict that Lalo will eventually go to the one place on earth he's trying so hard, for so long, to go.

that exact spot on the floor? and answer this: how does Gus foresee the two of them ending up there? the ONLY way the two of them end up there is if Lalo has already overcome all of Gus's security and then murdered anyone else who was with Gus, leaving the two of them alone down in the secret lair where Lalo clearly has the upper hand. Gus planned for that? Gus foresaw that? that makes sense to you? and then lalo, of his own accord, just walks right down to the exact area where Gus's trap is set, when he could have simply killed Gus the moment he got into the lab? then Lalo indulges Gus with his speech about the cartel, even though Lalo himself knew that Mike and the Boys were all heading there as fast as possible? that's all logical to you? if so, i respectfully disagree.

bottom line: if Gus planned on being with Lalo down in that lab, then it means that Gus made a plan that involved Lalo killing all of his men and capturing him. it just doesn't make any sense, from the planning to the literal execution. 

Edited by shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Do you actually watch this show, or do you have it on for background noise while you play on your phone?

4 hours ago, Quagmire said:

It’s a fictional story you know , stick to documentaries if it bugs you that much .

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Your histrionical posts about “the unbelievable” are fucking unbelievable.  Jesus, you’re the equivalent of putting a cold wet sock on your dick before sex.   

I just can’t believe fucking ET would eat Reese’s Pieces and drink Coors Banquet!  The fact that that motherfucker wasn’t eating tofu and popping Opus 1 just kisses me off and makes me believe that ET was a lizard person in all reality.  

god i can't stand the way derka always freaks out and overreacts every time someone disagrees with him, smh. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

that exact spot on the floor? and answer this: how does Gus foresee the two of them ending up there? the ONLY way the two of them end up there is if Lalo has already overcome all of Gus's security and then murdered anyone else who was with Gus, leaving the two of them alone down in the secret lair where Lalo clearly has the upper hand. Gus planned for that? Gus foresaw that? that makes sense to you? and then lalo, of his own accord, just walks right down to the exact area where Gus's trap is set, when he could have simply killed Gus the moment he got into the lab? then Lalo indulges Gus with his speech about the cartel, even though Lalo himself knew that Mike and the Boys were all heading there as fast as possible? that's all logical to you? if so, i respectfully disagree.

bottom line: if Gus planned on being with Lalo down in that lab, then it means that Gus made a plan that involved Lalo killing all of his men and capturing him. it just doesn't make any sense, from the planning to the literal execution. 

I'll have to watch the scene again but my impression was that they wound up at that spot on the floor because Gus led him there.  And it's not like we're talking about 10,000 square feet here, it was almost centrally located in the space.

I get that you didn't buy it and I respect that.  I'm just offering my opinion that wasn't far fetched as the way you perceived it.

Neither of us have to be right or wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I'll have to watch the scene again but my impression was that they wound up at that spot on the floor because Gus led him there.  And it's not like we're talking about 10,000 square feet here, it was almost centrally located in the space.

I get that you didn't buy it and I respect that.  I'm just offering my opinion that wasn't far fetched as the way you perceived it.

Neither of us have to be right or wrong.  

agreed.

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

my impression was that they wound up at that spot on the floor because Gus led him there. 

He did.  Gus was walking in front of Lalo the entire time and led him right to the spot by the power cord a few feet away from the gun.  It probably wasn't the only gun hidden on site either, but it was the one that they showed him hiding it to the audience to foreshadow what was coming.

It probably wasn't a sure thing in his mind he would get to the gun, but he knew it was there and led Lalo right to it.  

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

I will agree with Derka that the "bad guy finally catches the good guy and could literally just kill him, right then and there, but goes on a long diatribe and gets killed instead" trope was used here. I was still entertained though. It was as much suspense as you could have given we already knew the outcome.

I think the bigger thing here is that Jimmy and Kimmy are no longer innocent pranksters skirting in the grey areas of legality. They are now accessory to the murder of a pretty important guy.

Edited by Pam Cummings

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I will agree with Derka that the "bad guy finally catches the good guy and could literally just kill him, right then and there, but goes on a long diatribe and gets killed instead" trope was used here. I was still entertained though. It was as much suspense as you could have given we already knew the outcome.

I think the bigger thing here is that Jimmy and Kimmy are no longer innocent pranksters skirting in the grey areas of legality. They are now accessory to the murder of a pretty important guy.

At least here it was totally consistent with his character, and being a prequel we all knew Gus was getting out of it alive.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

At least here it was totally consistent with his character, and being a prequel we all knew Gus was getting out of it alive.

Yeah that's what i was thinking. We already knew that Lalo is gonna die. They literally telegraphed it. And it still managed to be very dramatic.

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

LOL ok man.

So a guy building a meth super lab under a laundry service company using a team of imported German engineers while also operating a local fast food joint… that tracks as “believable” though?

Seriously… this is Star Wars fan nit-pick level shit. It’s a fictional show with tons of unrealistic shit.  If this one little scene in a series FULL of unrealistic shit bothers you that much then I don’t know what to say.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

the scenario also hinged on gus being able to kill the lights and also wearing a bullet proof vest. small but important details.

he wasn’t planning to be there alone, but once his men were dead, he opened the hatch and went along with it pretty easily knowing he needed to get to his gun as a last resort.

if that scene seemed so incredibly unlikely to work, comments should’ve been made last episode when he was setting it up. 

it wasn’t some master strategy, it was a failsafe that only worked because of lalo’s hubris. 

at least mike got pissed about it. if it ended with gus saying “see?  toldya!” and then they fist bump, this would be a different conversation.  

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Part of that really comes down to how the Salamancas viewed Gus - he was just the gay little chicken man - and now his was unarmed and without his protection, so there was no perceived threat in that moment. Obviously a fatal mistake, but one consistent with the characters IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1