Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

Yeh Gus walked 10-15 feet to end up in that spot. It wasn’t like Lalo was holding Gus at gunpoint on his knees right on top of the power cord. It’s obviously a stretch, and you knew what was going to happen once they got down there which is kind of annoying, but it’s not that ridiculous.

Gus letting Saul and Kim go on with their lives is the part that has me a little confused.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh Gus walked 10-15 feet to end up in that spot. It wasn’t like Lalo was holding Gus at gunpoint on his knees right on top of the power cord. It’s obviously a stretch, and you knew what was going to happen once they got down there which is kind of annoying, but it’s not that ridiculous.

Gus letting Saul and Kim go on with their lives is the part that has me a little confused.

On letting Saul and Kim go, I assumed Gus sees Saul as being useful (which he ended up being for a time), and while it may be hard to pin anything back to Gus, it might raise some red flags if Howard, Saul and Kim--three lawyers in a relatively small legal market, all go missing around the same time.

I'm a loyal BCS viewer but I completed missed that the show came back on this week. Their plan was to bring on a show's final episodes in the middle of summer? Whatever optimized viewership means, this seems to be the opposite. I wonder how many casual viewers will eventually late this year that they never watched.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm a loyal BCS viewer but I completed missed that the show came back on this week. Their plan was to bring on a show's final episodes in the middle of summer? Whatever optimized viewership means, this seems to be the opposite. I wonder how many casual viewers will eventually late this year that they never watched.

They’ll do literally anything to not run it against the NFL on Sunday/Monday night. 

All prison sentences of death or life without possibility of parole should be read out in Gus Fring’s voice and cadence.  Pure, dispassionate ice.  His rant over Lalo’s phone to old man “Ding-ding” Scalamanca is the only time I’ve heard him raise his voice since the nursing home scene on Breaking Bad, and it was a ruse to distract Lalo.  One cool, calculating madrepincher.

On 7/15/2022 at 2:46 PM, shadow_operative said:

jesus you're triggered. they could have gus and mike make sweet passionate love for 55 straight minutes next episode and you'd lose your mind if anyone questioned it. 

Look. Every bit of this is realistic as fuck and exactly how it’d go down in real life. End. Of. Story. 

I did this just fine the other day 

image.gif.3411b83064e7bfd132dc243dc62de12f.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, shadow_operative said:

next stupid question: what made Gus know to go to the lavandería once kim told him that it was jimmy who was originally supposed to go? and did lalo count on that happening?

Process of elimination. Lalo isn't at the house and Gus knows Lolo doesn't really care about Jimmy. The only remaining logical answer is the lab. Mighty reckless for Gus to call an audible like that though and kind of hard to believe none of the henchmen who accompanied Gus wouldn't have at least sent a text to Mike or Tyrus about something that important. Doesn't seem believable that they would leave Mike in the dark like that.

On 7/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, Pam Cummings said:

I will agree with Derka that the "bad guy finally catches the good guy and could literally just kill him, right then and there, but goes on a long diatribe and gets killed instead" trope was used here. I was still entertained though. It was as much suspense as you could have given we already knew the outcome.

I think the bigger thing here is that Jimmy and Kimmy are no longer innocent pranksters skirting in the grey areas of legality. They are now accessory to the murder of a pretty important guy.

You're right about the trope being used, but in their defense it was completely in-character for Lalo. Like all Salamancas he's sadistic and into making spectacles. Lalo thought he had already won and had the luxury of savoring an end zone dance. Time was not of the essence.

So does Mike get fired in the next episode for doing a crap job of protecting Gus?

And as far as I can tell, this underground area is just that - just a hole in the ground but no lab is actually in it (unless I totally missed it...) Yes, it's gonna be a cook area but has it actually been used yet?

5 minutes ago, Grimas said:

So does Mike get fired in the next episode for doing a crap job of protecting Gus?

And as far as I can tell, this underground area is just that - just a hole in the ground but no lab is actually in it (unless I totally missed it...) Yes, it's gonna be a cook area but has it actually been used yet?

No and no. Gus would have been safer if he'd actually followed Mike's instructions to stay put. No active cook operation has started yet at the laundromat, everything Lalo learned about it was from the Europeans, his sewer surveillance, and having Gus at gunpoint.

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Process of elimination. Lalo isn't at the house and Gus knows Lolo doesn't really care about Jimmy. The only remaining logical answer is the lab. Mighty reckless for Gus to call an audible like that though and kind of hard to believe none of the henchmen who accompanied Gus wouldn't have at least sent a text to Mike or Tyrus about something that important. Doesn't seem believable that they would leave Mike in the dark like that.

Yeah. Gus would assume that Lalo wouldn't be hanging around Jimmy & Kim's place potentially waiting on the police or Gus to attack. And while Gus wouldn't be 100% certain where Lalo would be, why not go to the laundry place to check on it.

Can anyone refresh my memory on whether Gus knew whether Lalo was aware of the laundry place or not? 

8 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

The quality of the broadcast on YTTV is so f'ing bad that I find myself waiting until I can watch it on Prime the next day in 4k or whatever they show it in. Yes I paid the $10. It's awful. Same with The Old Man. 

Maybe I'm misreading your comment but if you subscribe to AMC+ on Prime, you can watch it live. Or actually faster than live since there are no commercials.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe I'm misreading your comment but if you subscribe to AMC+ on Prime, you can watch it live. Or actually faster than live since there are no commercials.

I don't subscribe to +. There is an option to buy just the show through Prime. It was $9.99 for the rest of the season. I don't believe it airs until the next day. 

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah. Gus would assume that Lalo wouldn't be hanging around Jimmy & Kim's place potentially waiting on the police or Gus to attack. And while Gus wouldn't be 100% certain where Lalo would be, why not go to the laundry place to check on it.

Can anyone refresh my memory on whether Gus knew whether Lalo was aware of the laundry place or not? 

I think he tortured the intel out of the Serbian guy in the German forest (remember the axe stuff?) and when he returned to Albuquerque he was casing the joint from the sewer and noticed Gus's people going in and out, which confirmed the Serbian's veracity.

Werner's wife's house had led Lalo to the Serbian, and Lalo was already on Werner's scent before he fled the US. The travel agent Lalo killed and he was on trial for murdering is the person who gave Lalo the name of Werner's widow. The travel agent got the information because Werner fucked up by returning to Germany. I think Werner was also the one who let slip to Lalo that he was working on a big construction project. That loose end nearly got Gus killed, basically.

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think he tortured the intel out of the Serbian guy in the German forest (remember the axe stuff?) and when he returned to Albuquerque he was casing the joint from the sewer and noticed Gus's people going in and out, which confirmed the Serbian's veracity.

Werner's wife's house had led Lalo to the Serbian, and Lalo was already on Werner's scent before he fled the US. The travel agent Lalo killed and he was on trial for murdering is the person who gave Lalo the name of Werner's widow. The travel agent got the information because Werner fucked up by returning to Germany. I think Werner was also the one who let slip to Lalo that he was working on a big construction project. That loose end nearly got Gus killed, basically.

Yes but did we have evidence that Gus knew any of this? In other words, did Gus know that Lalo knew of the laundry place? Or did he just assume it was a possibility in the last episode?

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes but did we have evidence that Gus knew any of this? In other words, did Gus know that Lalo knew of the laundry place? Or did he just assume it was a possibility in the last episode?

Gus only knows what Mike tells him, and I don't think Mike knew what Lalo knew. Gus was basing his security measures on what he (rightly) believed Lalo was capable of.

21 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Gus only knows what Mike tells him, and I don't think Mike knew what Lalo knew. Gus was basing his security measures on what he (rightly) believed Lalo was capable of.

Yeah.  I think Gus was using process of elimination.  When someone other than Lalo showed up to his door to kill him, he knew something else was going on.  Lalo hated Gus and never would have had Jimmy or Kim try to take him out.  Gus assumed, rightfully, that Lalo was causing a diversion and the only thing Lalo would have been diverting attention from was the laundry place because its the only place that mattered.

36 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah.  I think Gus was using process of elimination.  When someone other than Lalo showed up to his door to kill him, he knew something else was going on.  Lalo hated Gus and never would have had Jimmy or Kim try to take him out.  Gus assumed, rightfully, that Lalo was causing a diversion and the only thing Lalo would have been diverting attention from was the laundry place because its the only place that mattered.

The biggest flaw in Gus' thinking was what-if Lalo didn't know of the laundry. And instead Lalo was following or somehow tracking where Gus went after he left his house.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The biggest flaw in Gus' thinking was what-if Lalo didn't know of the laundry. And instead Lalo was following or somehow tracking where Gus went after he left his house.

Gus was not thinking straight. He took a miscalculated risk and simultaneously assumed the worst and underestimated Lalo's ability to seize control of the situation. Gus anticipated that the worst case scenario would still be in play as long as Lalo isn't confirmed dead, and that's why he planted the gun and loosened the cable in the lab.

You also have to remember that if Lalo had eyes on Gus they would be Lalo's own eyes because Lalo didn't have people in Albuquerque that Mike wouldn't already have known about. By the process of elimination, sending Kim to Gus's location meant that Lalo was not within surveillance distance of Gus's hideout, and if he was, there's little reason to think Lalo would have been able to follow Gus from there without being noticed.

That means Gus weighed the possibilities of Lalo either knowing or not knowing the lab's location. If Lalo was clueless about the location then he'd be wasting his time at Saul's apartment because Saul was equally clueless. The only logical place for Lalo to go to find out more about the lab would be to directly confront Gus, and Gus at that point knew Lalo wasn't doing that.

From Gus's perspective, the fact that Lalo was not actively trying to get more information about the lab told Gus that Lalo probably already had enough information at the time of the Kim diversion. If Gus were to assume otherwise, Gus would have been risking that the undefended lab would be discovered by Lalo. Gus had good reason to suspect that was the true purpose of the diversion.

So, if you know the lab is unguarded, you know Lalo is up to something, and you know Lalo would not be able to follow you into the lab without being noticed by your security detail, are you comfortable with the risk that Lalo is already there? Gus clearly was not comfortable and his instinct ended up being correct.

Ok so the conversation I remembered wasn't in reference to the lab but the picture was pretty clear. From early May:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/better-call-saul-gus-gun-superlab-lalo-plan/amp/

"Since learning of Lalo's survival, Gus Fring has expected Lalo Salamanca to turn up at his personal residence - hence the massive security operation. Even in "Black & Blue," Mike stands in Gus' house and utters, "Sooner or later, he's gonna end up right here." Earlier in the episode, however, Gus Fring experienced a sudden epiphany while asking a Los Pollos Hermanos customer if they'd like to try spice curls. After weeks without a peep, Gus realizes Lalo can't kill him without upsetting the cartel. The Salamancas' only option is to find proof of Fring's betrayal, and nothing screams "betrayal" like a massive underground superlab the cartel knew nothing about. Having been constantly wondering where Lalo would attack from, Gus now knows his nemesis will, sooner or later, visit the superlab. This foresight allows Gus to prepare for battle, giving himself a home-field advantage by planting a hidden pistol."

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't subscribe to +. There is an option to buy just the show through Prime. It was $9.99 for the rest of the season. I don't believe it airs until the next day. 

I don’t see this on prime. 

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

I looked it up. It's called "season pass". It was purchased through the prime interface on a fire stick. Try searching better call Saul on prime and see if you see the option. 

Weird. I don’t. No biggie. Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1