Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

5 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

So was this just a glimpse into the future or did we make a for good time jump? 

Nope, not a glimpse.  Kim leaving just launched the timeline forward.  The transition was amazingly abrupt.  One second you hear zippers and tape being unrolled, the next second you see Saul in his hooker bed with a hooker, all Johnny Bluetooth talking hardball tactics with an opposing lawyer and then mentioning he has a "Xanax guy".

Edited by SizzleChest

5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Any hot takes on the wine bar? He hasn’t been in a while, hiding from Lalo, but discovers he’s now no longer interested in that life?

Gus wants to escape, get some good wine, maybe get a piece of ass with that waiter, but it's a pipe dream for him since he's married to the game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TexasMan said:

Gus wants to escape, get some good wine, maybe get a piece of ass with that waiter, but it's a pipe dream for him since he's married to the game. 

And it kinda tied in with the Jimmy dialogue about "maybe one day, we won't think about it at all", and how that is complete folly.  

Gus was all daydreaming about sportfucking the sommelier in a French vineyard, then Max clicked into his head, and it reminded him to get back on the Revenge Tour bus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Saul's LWYERUP vanity plate had a Nov 05 expiration date, so I think we're still a ways from WW.

The handicap tag he put on his rearview mirror said 2008 I believe. He also mentioned a public masturbator on the phone which is what he originally got Badger mixed up as in his first episode in Breaking Bad.

43 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

OK, Kim just leaving....(not in prison, dead, or Lalo's girlfriend) wasn't on the Bingo card.

I thought it was well done and fitting for her character.  It's the opposite of a character like Carmela Soprano, who knew she was married to a bad guy, but stuck with him because of the life.  Kim knows what kind of person Jimmy is becoming and is going right along with him.  She loves him, it's "fun," and it's lucrative.  But deep down, she's a good human with a knack for helping people.  But if she stays with Jimmy, or even in Albuquerque, she's going to get addicted to the life and not be true to herself.  So she peels herself off, even though it's the hard thing for her to do.  Respect.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

The handicap tag he put on his rearview mirror said 2008 I believe. He also mentioned a public masturbator on the phone which is what he originally got Badger mixed up as in his first episode in Breaking Bad.

Good snag.  It says 11 20 08.  I stand corrected.

4 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

OK, Kim just leaving....(not in prison, dead, or Lalo's girlfriend) wasn't on the Bingo card.

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

I thought it was well done and fitting for her character.  It's the opposite of a character like Carmela Soprano, who knew she was married to a bad guy, but stuck with him because of the life.  Kim knows what kind of person Jimmy is becoming and is going right along with him.  She loves him, it's "fun," and it's lucrative.  But deep down, she's a good human with a knack for helping people.  But if she stays with Jimmy, or even in Albuquerque, she's going to get addicted to the life and not be true to herself.  So she peels herself off, even though it's the hard thing for her to do.  Respect.

After Kim missed the other 50 or so danger signs?  This felt forced. 

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, Bama Llama said:

All prison sentences of death or life without possibility of parole should be read out in Gus Fring’s voice and cadence.  Pure, dispassionate ice.  His rant over Lalo’s phone to old man “Ding-ding” Scalamanca is the only time I’ve heard him raise his voice since the nursing home scene on Breaking Bad, and it was a ruse to distract Lalo.  One cool, calculating madrepincher.

Pretty sure he was talking to Don Eladio, not Hector.

6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

After Kim missed the other 50 or so danger signs?  This felt forced. 

I felt like she was having to force herself to do it.  And Jimmy's pleading with her, trying to fix it, seemed to be art imitating life for a lot of people I've encountered.

11 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Saul's LWYERUP vanity plate had a Nov 05 expiration date, so I think we're still a ways from WW.

11 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

11 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Good snag.  It says 11 20 08.  I stand corrected.

This video indicates after some internet research that the handicap tag is valid for 3 years.  Based on other factors, he deduces it is still 2005, so about a year after the Howard / Lalo / Kim denouement, i.e. the end of the BCS timeline.  Part of his deduction is that Saul has represented so many public masturbators, including Fudge the old guy who appears in the Fifi commercial, and that it's more of a running joke than a direct link to Badger's incarceration (Saul's intro in BB).

• Like 1

kim leaving like that was brutal and makes sense as to how it would put jimmy on tilt and push him past the line of no return.

the scene at HHM where they say bye to schweikart and rich goes "bye jimmy.... saul", is probably the last time anyone calls him jimmy.  i know he doesn't deserve it, but i hope there's a reconciliation in the works for kim and jimmy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Kim just walking out the door was far more realistic than anything we all thought was going to happen, and was completely shocking as a result.

Perfect Gilligan.

This is exactly right. And no prognosticator I read had this solution. And it’s been Kim’s MO, to be in a situation and leave abruptly. She’s done it all her life. And it does provide opportunity for a spin off featuring her.

Kim just walking out the door was far more realistic than anything we all thought was going to happen, and was completely shocking as a result.

Perfect Gilligan.

This is exactly right. And no prognosticator I read had this solution. And it’s been Kim’s MO, to be in a situation and leave abruptly. She’s done it all her life. And it does provide opportunity for a spin off featuring her.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Help me understand why Kim was so cruel to Howard's widow? Was it a final FU to Howard. I felt that went further than it needed to in terms of protecting Kim and Jimmy.

b/c it was a loose end and she was still playing the game.  she snapped out of it right after when they were in the parking garage and jimmy said something to the effect of now the healing begins.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Help me understand why Kim was so cruel to Howard's widow? Was it a final FU to Howard. I felt that went further than it needed to in terms of protecting Kim and Jimmy.

I don't know. She was still being very accusatory, up until Kim's "face down in a pile of coke" story. It seemed necessary. 

b/c it was a loose end and she was still playing the game.  she snapped out of it right after when they were in the parking garage and jimmy said something to the effect of now the healing begins.  

I think she had already decided when she gave the speech to Howard’s widow. But she knew she had to do it to tie up the loose end. And she knew she was good at it so she let it rip. But she knew it was the last thing like that she wanted to do.

So then she bailed. Noble ideals. But she is who she is, which is why a spin-off could be good.

Still don’t fully understand the hard on she had for Howard though.

@gsoda3 @Red Five @tbone_ good thoughts on Kim's actions. I wonder if her lie to the widow was the final straw for Kim. It wasnt necessary but Kim did it for her own pleasure and perhaps that was her reason for moving on. Howard's death shook her but they intentionally had her leave AFTER the memorial service. 

Other quick thoughts

• From Chuck and Howard's death to Kim leaving, I guess that was also the death of Jimmy McGill. Saul took over his personal life at this point. That house is incredible with it's decorations when Jimmy was always low key and relatively professional in his dress and home decor. 
  • Or that Jimmy always turned down hookers without a second thought. Now a hooker is in his everyday life. And not even some paid-for "classy" girlfriend but someone off the streets.
  • Jimmy could have reverted away from the Saul name. The writers purposefully noted that HHM was no longer. The McGill name was open if Jimmy wanted it. 
  • We saw Jimmy proud of the Goodman & Associates sign. Very professional.  Then we see the fast forward to the statue of liberty balloon and Better Call Saul signage.

On first viewing, last night's episode was far from my favorite episode but it may be the most important of the series. So far. I bet it will be one of those episodes that require multiple viewing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My suspicion is that Kim is the one behind whomever is trailing him in Nebraska currently.

I don't think she's out of the show, and I think she's the reason he ended up there.

Hopefully it’s a new show of Kim and ‘Gene’ in Nebraska 

kim grew up in Nebraska 

I’m pretty sure one of the photos of Howard at the reception at HHM was a photo Patrick Fabian had posted on Instagram with Tony Dalton and they just cropped Tony out of it. Given the context of the situation and Howard’s death that was amusing to me.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think she was just protecting Jimmy again.  It immediately reminded me of the scene with Lalo, "tell it again", "tell it again".  Maybe Howard's widow was trying to find a crack in Jimmy's story, but Kim swooped in and shifted direction, putting it on Howard's wife, ("You knew him better than anyone", Kim using that knowledge that Howard and his wife had been basically separated for over a year.... cold.)  

But I do think that was the straw that broke her.  Both having to do that to Howard's widow, and protecting Jimmy one last time (and realizing that trying to protect him from Lalo is what pretty much led up to this moment), she just realized she couldn't continue down that path.  Jimmy had already learn to compartmentalize his grief and fear (Chuck, the shootout in the desert, Howard), unlike what Mike said, Kim is not made of stronger stuff.  Or she just still has a soul.   

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I’m pretty sure one of the photos of Howard at the reception at HHM was a photo Patrick Fabian had posted on Instagram with Tony Dalton and they just cropped Tony out of it. Given the context of the situation and Howard’s death that was amusing to me.

Fuck that's a great catch.  Easter eggs wide out in the open, that's hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

kim leaving like that was brutal and makes sense as to how it would put jimmy on tilt and push him past the line of no return.

the scene at HHM where they say bye to schweikart and rich goes "bye jimmy.... saul", is probably the last time anyone calls him jimmy.  i know he doesn't deserve it, but i hope there's a reconciliation in the works for kim and jimmy.

cliff called him jimmy and he called himself jimmy 10 seconds later to howard's widow.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

I want a Kim spinoff.

Forming a practice with Cheryl Hamlin.  

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

And it’s been Kim’s MO, to be in a situation and leave abruptly. She’s done it all her life. And it does provide opportunity for a spin off featuring her.

What a plot device becomes a character trait.