Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

I suppose it’s different when even your estranged husband dies, but Howard’s widow showed zero love for him in the earlier episode with the coffee/breakfast.  She seemed a little too grief stricken.  Also, while it added to Kim’s story line, I was surprised Saul and Kim engaged the widow at all.  There would be no evidence leading back to them.  The less said the better.  They could have deflected her insinuations without another lie told in public.  

Just now, HouTex said:

I suppose it’s different when even your estranged husband dies, but Howard’s widow showed zero love for him in the earlier episode with the coffee/breakfast.  She seemed a little too grief stricken.  Also, while it added to Kim’s story line, I was surprised Saul and Kim engaged the widow at all.  There would be no evidence leading back to them.  The less said the better.  They could have deflected her insinuations without another lie told in public.  

As Mike predicted, Kim and Jimmy were not going to have any problems. What was the worse case? A nosy detective wondering if there was more to it. It's not like the police are going to pull 2 criminal lawyers into a 10 hour interrogation. Kim and Jimmy were untouchable. The scene with the widow was about Kim. 

On a side note, I would have loved to hear the internal dialogue from Cliff in that scene.

I do wonder why the writers made a point of Kim quitting the law. She could have easily said peace out to NM and set up shop in another state. I'm not a lawyer but I'm assuming there isn't an insurmountable obstacle to that. They purposefully had her give up the law. I picture future Kim chain smoking while she works at a car dealership. 

23 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Side bar - probably been mentioned before but this guy does a poster for every episode of BCS since the beginning, they are brilliant.

Lalo certainly could have used Tuco's advice.

When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk. 

(Or in this case, listen)

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not a lawyer but I'm assuming there isn't an insurmountable obstacle to that.

Not insurmountable, but her NM license would not necessarily transfer to another state. Some states offer reciprocity, but others would require her for sit for the state's bar exam. Her "quitting the law" could have been as simple as her taking inactive status with the NM bar. It is probably the easiest way for her to get out of her obligations to her existing clients, as shown in the episode. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Kim just walking out the door was far more realistic than anything we all thought was going to happen, and was completely shocking as a result.

Perfect Gilligan.

This is exactly right. And no prognosticator I read had this solution. And it’s been Kim’s MO, to be in a situation and leave abruptly. She’s done it all her life. And it does provide opportunity for a spin off featuring her.

Kim just walking out the door was far more realistic than anything we all thought was going to happen, and was completely shocking as a result.

Perfect Gilligan.

This is exactly right. And no prognosticator I read had this solution. And it’s been Kim’s MO, to be in a situation and leave abruptly. She’s done it all her life. And it does provide opportunity for a spin off featuring her.

When Kim was talking to Howard's widow, she was protecting both herself and Jimmy.  Jimmy was not doing a good job of playing the part and could have screwed it up for both of them.  Kim played it perfectly with the suggestion of drug use, especially knowing that Cliff believes the same.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

She didn’t miss them. She liked it. And it took her awhile to accept that it would be her end if she didn’t separate from Jimmy.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

saul and the lifestyle was her drug 

These.  She didn't miss any warning signs or need to be convinced to do shit.  Kim loved shady stuff and got off on it. Exhibit A: she and Jimmy bang while listening to Howard's humiliation on "d-day." Jimmy wanted to call it off, but she insisted on running it, even though it meant abandoning her legal project. She loved it but ultimately didn't want Mike driving her car 1000 miles to stage her suicide and Saul immediately compartmentalize away her death.

Gus allowing himself to feel human emotions for a moment, but only for a moment, was a great scene.  And he looks over the edge of Don Eladio's pool... good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Can Kim really leave?  Is she a loose end now?  She may need to see the vacuum cleaner guy.  Maybe that is assumed.

I'm not certain the Kim and Jimmy even know the details of Ed the Disappearer at the time she broke with Jimmy.  They found out about the Vet's black book earlier in the season, but don't know of any reason to believe it is in Jimmy's possession yet.  Once he goes full on Saul he has the book, because it was shown when Saul's house was being cleaned out in one of the cold opens.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm not certain the Kim and Jimmy even know the details of Ed the Disappearer at the time she broke with Jimmy.  They found out about the Vet's black book earlier in the season, but don't know of any reason to believe it is in Jimmy's possession yet.  Once he goes full on Saul he has the book, because it was shown when Saul's house was being cleaned out in one of the cold opens.  

Good points.  But the question remains whether Gus/Mike would think she has become a loose end--and no half measures . . .

11 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Can Kim really leave?  Is she a loose end now?  She may need to see the vacuum cleaner guy.  Maybe that is assumed.

I don’t know that any of the details of her leaving are necessarily assumed. There’s some vagueness over what exactly happened (did her and Jimmy stay married for spousal privilege purpose?) that I’m sure they’ll clarify in the last few episodes.

I really think the reveal, which had been coming out over this, was that Kim is the sociopath and not Jimmy.

Just now, HouTex said:

Good points.  But the question remains whether Gus/Mike would think she has become a loose end--and no half measures . . .

No doubt in my mind the Gus/Mike are going to be very concerned about Kim.  I think there will be an episode where Jimmy, or maybe more likely Kim, will bargain with the Vet for the black book and the get the info for Ed the Disappearer.  I'm just not sure it has happened yet.

18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

She doesn’t need the vacuum cleaner guy. No one is chasing her.

Not yet, but she did just flake out and stop being an attorney out of the blue.  Remembering that they were told by Mike to act normal.  Mike and Gus are not going to like her being erratic.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dutch said:

These.  She didn't miss any warning signs or need to be convinced to do shit.  Kim loved shady stuff and got off on it. Exhibit A: she and Jimmy bang while listening to Howard's humiliation on "d-day." Jimmy wanted to call it off, but she insisted on running it, even though it meant abandoning her legal project. She loved it but ultimately didn't want Mike driving her car 1000 miles to stage her suicide and Saul immediately compartmentalize away her death.

Gus allowing himself to feel human emotions for a moment, but only for a moment, was a great scene.  And he looks over the edge of Don Eladio's pool... good stuff.

reminder for those who don't recall the details of Gus' partner's death.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

I’m pretty sure one of the photos of Howard at the reception at HHM was a photo Patrick Fabian had posted on Instagram with Tony Dalton and they just cropped Tony out of it. Given the context of the situation and Howard’s death that was amusing to me.

It most certainly was.  I noticed it pretty instantaneously.    

On 7/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, 83Horn said:

I think because at this point, Mike still has something left of his soul, and realizes that Howard didn't deserve what happened.  As stated above, Howard wasn't in the game, and only became involved because Kim and Jimmy decided it would be a good idea to fuck with him.  Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if this was the impetus for Kim to disappear before the BB timeline.  She now realizes that she is in WAY over her head, and can no longer stay with Jimmy/Saul, and can no longer stay in Albuquerque.

This probably belongs in the "Blind squirrel finds a nut" category, but I'll give myself a pat on the back for this one.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I for one very much enjoyed Kim walking away . . . down the courtroom corridor after she informed the judge she was all the way out, notified the bar, et veterans.  By God, her ass was twitching.  Hope she has a save the day cameo before Saul rings down the curtain.

How much was in that duffel bag Jimmy had stuffed in the apartment bedroom closet?  I don't even remember where that money came from.  His cut for getting Lalo out of jail?

Whoever referred to Kim as a sociopath...  Sociopaths do not have crises of conscience.  A sociopath would get a kick out of seeing Howard blown away and in most cases would take a perverse pride in having been a part of it.

That term gets thrown around these days to describe anyone who behaves poorly.

Kim doesn't come close to antisocial personality disorder.

25 minutes ago, HouTex said:

So when did they get the Sandpiper money?  Maybe it happened quickly but if it was big bucks I wouldn’t be living in an apartment/condo for very long.

I't couldn't have happened before the time jump.  The hearing where they orchestrated Howard's meltdown was too recent.   

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Not insurmountable, but her NM license would not necessarily transfer to another state. Some states offer reciprocity, but others would require her for sit for the state's bar exam. Her "quitting the law" could have been as simple as her taking inactive status with the NM bar. It is probably the easiest way for her to get out of her obligations to her existing clients, as shown in the episode. 

Hanging onto her license would be the easiest way for her to gain reciprocity somewhere else.  But since she hasn't been practicing long, even with an active license, there's probably another state's bar exam and the retake of the MBE in her future. 

I took her surrendering her law license as a significant way to distance herself from Jimmy and his version of law practice.  What Kim discovered of the law is that she isn't cut out for the corporate, litigious, cut throat side of things.  She realized pretty quickly that she's a do-gooder.  And as long as she's around with a license, Jimmy would seek her out to help him "legally" in one way or another.  Like Jules, now she's just gonna walk the earth, like Caine in Kung Fu.

8 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Hanging onto her license would be the easiest way for her to gain reciprocity somewhere else.  But since she hasn't been practicing long, even with an active license, there's probably another state's bar exam and the retake of the MBE in her future. 

I took her surrendering her law license as a significant way to distance herself from Jimmy and his version of law practice.  What Kim discovered of the law is that she isn't cut out for the corporate, litigious, cut throat side of things.  She realized pretty quickly that she's a do-gooder.  And as long as she's around with a license, Jimmy would seek her out to help him "legally" in one way or another.  Like Jules, now she's just gonna walk the earth, like Caine in Kung Fu.

The got a word for that.  It's called a bum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Kim will always have a place to sleep.

Her character is a perfect example of how an average-nice looking woman can become 10x more attractive when you find who she is attractive, as well.  Her ass is above average, I'll acknowledge.  

The internet says she's 5' 5" tall.  She looks taller than that to me on this show.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never been able to reconcile the Gus who showed up to Don Eladio's with his boyfriend--his mannerisms, his nervousness, and his devastation at his lover's murder--with someone who was supposed to have been a "Big Generalissimo" in Chile, who apparently commanded enough respect that Don Eladio chose not to execute him because of it. "The only reason you're alive and he is not is because I know who you are. But you are not in Chile."

Anybody else feel that way?

Wow, great episode.  I had a feeling Kim would end up walking away but that memorial scene was brutal.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

reminder for those who don't recall the details of Gus' partner's death.

I also went back and watched these:

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Augustus said:

Her character is a perfect example of how an average-nice looking woman can become 10x more attractive when you find who she is attractive, as well.  Her ass is above average, I'll acknowledge.  

The internet says she's 5' 5" tall.  She looks taller than that to me on this show.  

She’s 50 years old. If you look at an early headshot from her 20s, Rhea is better than average to nice-looking. She’s pulling off playing a woman ten or more years her junior. 

9 hours ago, Augustus said:

I've never been able to reconcile the Gus who showed up to Don Eladio's with his boyfriend--his mannerisms, his nervousness, and his devastation at his lover's murder--with someone who was supposed to have been a "Big Generalissimo" in Chile, who apparently commanded enough respect that Don Eladio chose not to execute him because of it. "The only reason you're alive and he is not is because I know who you are. But you are not in Chile."

Anybody else feel that way?

Mexico may have been the first time he was out and in love. The later Fring would then be an overreaction to his “lack of control”. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Apep said:

Average-nice looking woman...

She’s 50 years old. If you look at an early headshot from her 20s, Rhea is better than average to nice-looking. She’s pulling off playing a woman ten or more years her junior.

Well, it is well known that Surlyites bang only 10s, so...

Edited by 83Horn

i thought Kim was gone when she kissed Saul and drove away.  Her scene telling the story to Howards widow just showed me what a stone cold killer she can be.  I love her character and if she does not get the Emmy for it they need to burn shit to the ground, she killed it this season.  Part of me think we will see her in some small glimpse but I think that is wishful thinking.

I am really curious how the rest plays out now since they seem to jump years into the future after Kim left.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

i thought Kim was gone when she kissed Saul and drove away.  Her scene telling the story to Howards widow just showed me what a stone cold killer she can be.  I love her character and if she does not get the Emmy for it they need to burn shit to the ground, she killed it this season.  Part of me think we will see her in some small glimpse but I think that is wishful thinking.

I am really curious how the rest plays out now since they seem to jump years into the future after Kim left.

They really lay it on you thick with the cinematography.  same deal with Mike and Gus doing silhouettes on the road.