Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

They broadcast the slippery floor loud and clear, but I still laughed my ass off when he slipped.

Pesci slamming the car door in My Cousin Vinny and slipping in the mud was the biggest laugh that movie got from me.

No idea why somebody slipping like that is so hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Couple of cool things I found on youtube.  First, the whole sub-text of Gene wanting to be Saul again, sitting at home watching his old commercials...  Compare the opening credits from season 1 to season 6 (and especially the one from this last episode where basically the tape broke/wore out)

Secondly, remember that every teaser comes back in some way.  This last episode we had the "Jeff pulling up in his cab and getting out" visual, along with the "After all that... a happy ending" and the "Don't get greedy..." sound bites, though not in the misdirection they used it in the teaser.  So we have the new teaser from the other night, with the crossroads, but we also have the teaser of Kim reciting her law oath with the candle with Howard's blood on it.  So from past history, we are going to get to see Kim reciting that oath.  I think Jimmy/Saul comes clean in the end and Kim represents him.  But maybe not...  Also been pointed out how Marion is much more of a sharp cookie than Jeff, she may have something on Jimmy/Saul/Gene that complicates things.  She mentions that Jeff had some rough times back in ABQ, but what if she lived there for a while also?  She may be running a con on him that we haven't seen yet...  Just spitballin'.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Couple of cool things I found on youtube.  First, the whole sub-text of Gene wanting to be Saul again, sitting at home watching his old commercials...  Compare the opening credits from season 1 to season 6 (and especially the one from this last episode where basically the tape broke/wore out)

Secondly, remember that every teaser comes back in some way.  This last episode we had the "Jeff pulling up in his cab and getting out" visual, along with the "After all that... a happy ending" and the "Don't get greedy..." sound bites, though not in the misdirection they used it in the teaser.  So we have the new teaser from the other night, with the crossroads, but we also have the teaser of Kim reciting her law oath with the candle with Howard's blood on it.  So from past history, we are going to get to see Kim reciting that oath.  I think Jimmy/Saul comes clean in the end and Kim represents him.  But maybe not...  Also been pointed out how Marion is much more of a sharp cookie than Jeff, she may have something on Jimmy/Saul/Gene that complicates things.  She mentions that Jeff had some rough times back in ABQ, but what if she lived there for a while also?  She may be running a con on him that we haven't seen yet...  Just spitballin'.

That was my expectation, as well.

They made a point of showing her to be a hard ass, refusing helping from everyone for the simplest things, kind of a cynic. But then she turns into a sweetheart with Gene.

I kept expecting her to break cover and let him know she knew exactly who he was.

Not expecting it to happen now, because I'm assuming the Jeff storyline is done, including his mom.

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

That was my expectation, as well.

They made a point of showing her to be a hard ass, refusing helping from everyone for the simplest things, kind of a cynic. But then she turns into a sweetheart with Gene.

I kept expecting her to break cover and let him know she knew exactly who he was.

Not expecting it to happen now, because I'm assuming the Jeff storyline is done, including his mom.

You would think that, but who the hell knows with this show?  They've got 3 timelines they can bounce around in, anything is up for grabs, although they've got roughly 3 hours left to do it...  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

It was really enjoyable to watch. It was not tense or very dramatic but I have come to enjoy Jimmy's schemes as much as I do the cartel crap. The Howard scheme was a little much because the why still rings a little hollow to me but the art of the scheme and the way Odenkirk pulls them off is a lot of fun to watch. Jimmy/Saul will be missed. Maybe Gene catches the bug again after dipping back in to tie off the threat from Jeffie and we get a Cinnabon Gene spinoff. Kidding, but I would watch. 

Hopefully, it was obvious I was exaggerating.  I liked it well enough.  The creators felt it necessary to tie up some loose ends, and I'm fine with that.  It probably set up a few things we haven't anticipated.  We shall see.  If I was expecting them to top themselves with each successive episode, I might have been disappointed more often than I have been pleased.  But that's not how I'm wired.  It was a not unenjoyable way to spend a Monday evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Interesting. I wonder what percentage of BCS fans didn’t watch/finish BB. It’s got to be less than 10%

A larger share has just a poor memory.

22 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

I think we can reasonably assume Gene spent ample time familiarizing himself with Marion’s routine so that he could execute his plan using her to confront Jeff.  Not sure why that’s so outlandish.

Seems like somebody has never spent time around old people.  Spoiler alert, they do the same thing at the same time every day. 

while i enjoyed watching this, i couldn't help but laugh as bob and rhea went on and on about how "there's no easy out here"- saying that, because if the complexities of jimmy and kim's relationship, that there's no easy, simple way for this relationship to end. if only that were true lol. i don't think they could have gone with a more simple or "easy" out re: this relationship ending. kim just said, "we're bad for each other", and was gone. poof. the end of kim and jimmy, just like that. that part of the video gave me big time GoT vibes from all of the videos of the cast members being interviewed before the final season.

• Hook 'Em 1

So the 2010 football season stuff was pretty fun... pretty cool attention to detail bringing up the Texas and Oklahoma State games back-to-back for that Nebraska team... and even name-checking Weeden.

The one thing that was kind of funny to me was them mentioning his thumb injury that he got when he banged it on the helmet of a Washington State player... I think he was calling it "Cougar thumb" or something... but that was actually in the first game of the year and it was totally healed by the time we played Nebraska in late October.

(The the biggest thing the thumb injury did was cause Weeden to fumble the victory formation snap against Troy in week 2, which is when Gundy then switched to doing the "victory formation snap" from shotgun... which everyone made fun of at the time but now everyone does, lol.)

So basically what I'm saying is that they messed up the timing of the Weeden thumb injury. Totally non-believable show. :D 

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What’s the backstory on Jeff again? I forgot about him.

this is another "issue" i guess.  i remembered the whole cab driver thing, but never thought to myself, "holy shit, they better tie up that loose end" like it's one of the unanswerable mysteries of lost or something.  spending an entire episode on it seemed like a long walk for a short drink of water, especially with only 3 episodes left, but who am i to judge.

and yes, i was lazy and distracted and unengaged most of the episode and am proud to own the parts i missed (and pos-repped people who pointed out the details), but the episode content was the reason for this.  this hasn't been an issue for most of this season (before and after the break). 

take howard, kim, lalo, nacho, mike, and gus out of a show, and this is what you get.  most of my least favorite scenes and plotlines through the life of this show are jimmy/saul/gene and his shenanigans.  and this is coming from a long-time odenkirk fan.  they did a ridiculously good job building up a supporting cast, and this episode kinda hammers that home.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Paranoid Gene thought it needed to be tied up, regardless of our impression of how much a legit concern it actually was.

paranoid gus obviously thought he needed two houses, a fake couple, a tunnel, and a lookalike, but that doesn't mean i want an entire episode or season devoted to making that happen.

nevermind that would be awesome and i would totally watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Worst episode ever, being thrown around ….

https://uproxx.com/tv/better-call-saul-worst-episode-ever/

Some people raise their expectations too high when a great show is nearing its end. Hence why most people are ultimately disappointed in the final episodes. It’s not like writers are sitting on great scripts for 5 years.  viewers set themselves up if they expect that the last episodes are going it be the best tv ever. They rarely are.

a better strategy is to hope for a good story ending and if the episodes are legendary, it’s all the better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Since we like to speculate, will the flashbacks with Walt/Jesse be in the early days of their relationship with Saul or the final scramble to get the hell out of Dodge days?  Or something in the middle.

My guess is that whenever the flashback occurs, we hear Saul discuss a bit of his personal life to Walt and Jesse, including where Kim lives. Perhaps not mentioning her name.

After the final BCS episode I'm going to start a BB re-watch.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Since we like to speculate, will the flashbacks with Walt/Jesse be in the early days of their relationship with Saul or the final scramble to get the hell out of Dodge days?  Or something in the middle.

My guess is that whenever the flashback occurs, we hear Saul discuss a bit of his personal life to Walt and Jesse, including where Kim lives. Perhaps not mentioning her name.

After the final BCS episode I'm going to start a BB re-watch.

It's already out there, but there will be three scenes.  1) Walt only, 2) Jesse only, 3) Both together.  No word on who else will be in the scenes.

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Some interesting Marion theories here …..

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-marion-theories-reddit/amp/

A couple are thought provoking, some are too much of a reach.  But it's fun as hell to speculate about.

I'd put money on her being exactly who she purports to be, but she knows who Gene is and is angling to leverage that to get something out of him.

There's a reason they showed us how cold/rude she was in the grocery store and in response to Gene's initial offer to help her on the sidewalk.  Then she suddenly becomes sweet as sugar, fawning all over him.  I think she recognized him when he came closer to her and immediately began scheming. 

Given that her sons lived in ABQ, even if she didn't live there with them she may have visited and seen Saul's face on every bus bench, billboard, tv commercial, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

A couple are thought provoking, some are too much of a reach.  But it's fun as hell to speculate about.

I'd put money on her being exactly who she purports to be, but she knows who Gene is and is angling to leverage that to get something out of him.

There's a reason they showed us how cold/rude she was in the grocery store and in response to Gene's initial offer to help her on the sidewalk.  Then she suddenly becomes sweet as sugar, fawning all over him.  I think she recognized him when he came closer to her and immediately began scheming. 

Given that her sons lived in ABQ, even if she didn't live there with them she may have visited and seen Saul's face on every bus bench, billboard, tv commercial, etc.

I think it's as simple as this was a story about Gene being slippin' Jimmy and Jimmy could charm anybody he needed to make the plan work.  I'd say an entire episode is enough to dedicate to Marion and Jeff and we're done with them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, PantsTent said:

I think it's as simple as this was a story about Gene being slippin' Jimmy and Jimmy could charm anybody he needed to make the plan work.  I'd say an entire episode is enough to dedicate to Marion and Jeff and we're done with them.

That's what I thought, too, as mentioned above.  But apparently we're not done with them.

26 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Yeah I agree with your take.  All the handwringing over a lost episode, tying up loose ends, terrible one-off story line, etc..is likely not to age very well.  IMO, Carol Burnette isnt coming out of retirement for a few scenes.  I think she will play a bigger role in Saul's fate as the series winds down. The juxtaposition of her character's personality, as you noted, was not lost on me either.  I can see her having a larger role/knowing more about Saul true identity and her son's shenanigans 

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

The law of BCS is what Chuck stated in his final dialogue. You [Saul] destroy anyone you contact.  Marion invited the devil into her kitchen and the son got into crime so both must ruin.

• Like 1

Just now, SizzleChest said:

That OP got shredded in the responses.

It read all too familiar when I browsed the post a couple of days ago.

OP got shredded in the responses the same way anyone who criticizes this show (or GoT, or Rick and Morty, or South Park, etc, etc) gets shredded any time they do anything but fellate the show and declare it absolutely perfect. every single legit critique or question is shot down en masse by these strange TV fanbois who run in giant packs, scoffing at the idea that the show is anything less than perfect. 

this final season has been a let down, and has been the worst season of the series. i know that this is very very hard for a lot of people to hear, but this show, like almost every show ever, is not living up to the standard it has set for itself.