Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

33 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My goodness, Kim steered hard into that Florida woman stereotype. The jean skirt was perfect. 

If Jimmy was serious about not getting caught he would have whacked Marion. He’s already done so many terrible things, might as well take the next step. 

I look forward to what they talk about in the podcast tomorrow about what was going through Pete's head at that time. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Blonde ponytail Kim > brunette Florida Kim.

brunette kim is much dirtier, hell she goes go outback 

that might be the best episode of the entire breaking bad / better call saul series

wow 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Jimmy really broke dark. Great episode. I thought he was going to strangle Marion. I suppose another call to the vacuum repairman is the only option at this point, if it’s not too late. 

It was in the teaser at the end of credits

My read is that he got to the front door and remembered he’d broken in via the back door. Recalled he had to go steal something (watches) to cover the identity theft. Yeah?

And Carol telling him that she trusted him must have made him flash back to the old lady he befriended/betrayed for the Sandpiper settlement

i think he could have been out of the house before the guy had a chance to recognize him if it had woken him up.  i certainly know i've been awoken from a drunken stuper by a random noise and typically just roll over and go back to sleep.  i wouldn't have time to identify someone i only knew from drinking with hours before in 3-4 seconds.

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

Why did he play the piano key?

While the obvious answer is to see if the guy would wake up, it reminded me of this single, repeated piano key strike from some suspense or horror movie.  Maybe Hitchcock, but I think it's something else.  There's some very Hitchcockian music when he's sneaking past the guy on the stairs.  I think his striking that piano key was as much used to add tension to the very suspenseful scene given that we saw the police car at the end of the last episode.  So in the viewer's mind, Saul may be caught doing this.  Although if we've learned anything, those final scenes first often are used as a head fake. 

edit. The single-note piano bit I was remembering was The Firm.  No relationship to BCS, but used well in both.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

brunette kim is much dirtier, hell she goes go outback 

that might be the best episode of the entire breaking bad / better call saul series

wow 

For some reason, Florida Kim was a lot more soul crushing than Omaha Jimmy.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think he could have been out of the house before the guy had a chance to recognize him if it had woken him up.  i certainly know i've been awoken from a drunken stuper by a random noise and typically just roll over and go back to sleep.  i wouldn't have time to identify someone i only knew from drinking with hours before in 3-4 seconds.

he lingered to gloat over his victory / win and it but him in the ass 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My goodness, Kim steered hard into that Florida woman stereotype. The jean skirt was perfect. 

If Jimmy was serious about not getting caught he would have whacked Marion. He’s already done so many terrible things, might as well take the next step. 

He's never been violent though, he's a pussy who talks other people into doing things for him.

13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Blonde ponytail Kim > brunette Florida Kim.

Color episodes > opaque b&w

I've been thinking of last night's episode a lot today.  I keep going to the conversation after Howard was killed when Jimmy tells Kim that eventually you'll have a day when you don't think about it and then eventually things will go back to normal.  And for Jimmy I guess that happened during the events of Breaking Bad.  But Kim never really forgave herself and went to Florida to do penance.  The new guy, the new job, the coworkers, the office were all just so depressing.  But she realizes it's not enough when Jimmy calls her on not confessing either.  And then 6 years later she does and has the breakdown crying.  Wow, great stuff.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

We still haven't seen the resolution of the teaser below (the audio portion), I think (Florida being Florida), Kim goes back and becomes a lawyer again.  Nothing to do with Gene, just moving on with her life.  Going back to the interview with Rich Schweigert, when she didn't want to end up working at the Piggly Wiggly, and he asked what she did want, and she answered, "More".  Right now she essentially is working at the Piggly Wiggly, and this her chance to reclaim her life.  

Just watched "Talking Saul" (the wrap-up after last night's episode with Bob, Rhea, Vince and Peter) and when asked for a three word synopsis of the finale next week, Bob/Jimmy/Saul/Gene said "hard one truth."  Or maybe "hard won truth."  Kinda of cryptic if you think about it. 

Can't fricking wait until next week, but will then have the sads when it's over.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

He's never been violent though, he's a pussy who talks other people into doing things for him.

Color episodes > opaque b&w

The b&w is a metaphor for the entirety of the series/BBUniverse, which is why the last group of episodes have all been B&W.  It's because Saul/Walter/Gustavo/Kim(to some extent) operated in the gray.  Harkens back to the company Gray Matter, which was the true root cause of punishing angst that broke Walter White bad.  This is just a tidy callback to how effed up these people are.   

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, WBT said:

I've been thinking of last night's episode a lot today.  I keep going to the conversation after Howard was killed when Jimmy tells Kim that eventually you'll have a day when you don't think about it and then eventually things will go back to normal.  And for Jimmy I guess that happened during the events of Breaking Bad.  But Kim never really forgave herself and went to Florida to do penance.  The new guy, the new job, the coworkers, the office were all just so depressing.  But she realizes it's not enough when Jimmy calls her on not confessing either.  And then 6 years later she does and has the breakdown crying.  Wow, great stuff.

I think the idea with the flash forward scene at the end of episode 9 right after they break up that shows Saul in his gaudy mansion with a hooker is supposed to be the first day he didn’t think about Kim and all the shit that went down with Lalo and Howard. I believe the director of that episode commented on Twitter that that scene was set in 2007.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

I could feel Kim's soul melting during that.

Yep.  Lying on your back getting nailed by some sub-human saying "Yep.......Yep........Yep......." every few strokes has to make her die inside  a little with every thrust.  Just a gut wrenching scene.  

• Like 1

Yep.  Lying on your back getting nailed by some sub-human saying "Yep.......Yep........Yep......." every few strokes has to make her die inside  a little with every thrust.  Just a gut wrenching scene.  

That entire Florida sequence hit a little close to home (not Florida, but life). Thankfully I have kids so I can justify it
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

For some reason, Florida Kim was a lot more soul crushing than Omaha Jimmy.

Florida Kim is a broken person. She used to be someone who would charge into a courtroom and control the room. Now she can't make a decision by herself or speak up. Miracle whip potato salad, blech. Of course she basically took her own advice to Jimmy and turned herself in.

Other points I noticed

• ABQ Jimmy used to be able to control older women like from Sandpiper Retirement. He manipulated them into hating each other, even to the point of falling on his sword that time so that the residents would start to like their friend again.
  • In Omaha, Gene forgot to consider Marion. Marion was already suspecting Gene was off due to how he switched from being her friend to Jeff's. Going into the garage and then slipping up by mentioning ABQ. Perhaps having those early morning drinks was a bad choice. A better choice would have been to go over to Marion's and control the entire situation. Don't call her.
  • I could root for BCS Jimmy or even BB Saul, but Omaha Gene is just a bad person. Not murdering Marion is not something to cheer for him. And his recent recklessness (mall cameras, going back to that house and then hanging around too long) demonstrate how bad he's slipped. While different, I feel for him like I did with Ziggy from the Wire.
  • I need to rewatch the Kim/Jesse scene. Something there must have impacted Kim since she still had the power lawyer ponytail for the last time. Jesse changed her.
  • I think calling the vacuum cleaner was a misdirect. One Robert Forester is dead IRL but more importantly, Saul isn't going to have the Jesse ending from El Camino. He hasn't earned the redemption. 

My prediction is that we see some glimpse of potential redemption for Kim. As for Jimmy I see one of two options. we see him leading a tough life in prison. Or he has an actual accident like falling into a well headfirst and dying alone. I doubt it will be a well, but something to that effect. Haunted by the ghosts of Chuck and Howard.  Or maybe slippin' Jimmy slips on the ice one last time.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I need to rewatch the Kim/Jesse scene. Something there must have impacted Kim since she still had the power lawyer ponytail for the last time. Jesse changed her.

Yeah, Saul's indifferent attitude towards her is what changed her.   I don't think it was anything Jesse said to her; just that in the course of their conversation (and Saul's dismissing her after the papers were signed) she realized what a sub-human he had became and she didn't want any part of him in her life from that day on.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Florida Kim is a broken person. She used to be someone who would charge into a courtroom and control the room. Now she can't make a decision by herself or speak up. Miracle whip potato salad, blech. Of course she basically took her own advice to Jimmy and turned herself in.

Other points I noticed

• ABQ Jimmy used to be able to control older women like from Sandpiper Retirement. He manipulated them into hating each other, even to the point of falling on his sword that time so that the residents would start to like their friend again.
  • In Omaha, Gene forgot to consider Marion. Marion was already suspecting Gene was off due to how he switched from being her friend to Jeff's. Going into the garage and then slipping up by mentioning ABQ. Perhaps having those early morning drinks was a bad choice. A better choice would have been to go over to Marion's and control the entire situation. Don't call her.
  • I could root for BCS Jimmy or even BB Saul, but Omaha Gene is just a bad person. Not murdering Marion is not something to cheer for him. And his recent recklessness (mall cameras, going back to that house and then hanging around too long) demonstrate how bad he's slipped. While different, I feel for him like I did with Ziggy from the Wire.
  • I need to rewatch the Kim/Jesse scene. Something there must have impacted Kim since she still had the power lawyer ponytail for the last time. Jesse changed her.
  • I think calling the vacuum cleaner was a misdirect. One Robert Forester is dead IRL but more importantly, Saul isn't going to have the Jesse ending from El Camino. He hasn't earned the redemption. 

My prediction is that we see some glimpse of potential redemption for Kim. As for Jimmy I see one of two options. we see him leading a tough life in prison. Or he has an actual accident like falling into a well headfirst and dying alone. I doubt it will be a well, but something to that effect. Haunted by the ghosts of Chuck and Howard.  Or maybe slippin' Jimmy slips on the ice one last time.

I think maybe he wrecks the car, gets his leg pinned under it, and slowly freezes to death over a few days on some back road where he was trying to meet up with the eraser.  

32 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=edFocxTsUKI

Edited by HornPhD
Link won’t embed