Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Kim comes back and he signs the divorce papers in the middle of the BB Pilot 1 or so, right?  Jesse is at Saul's office to talk to him about Emilio.  Presumably, that's the last time he sees her.  When he calls her, he says it's been six years, right?  I know the Nebraska-Texas game in Nippy sets us in 2010.  So maybe he has no idea how long it's been.

Now I'm confused about Saul's debut in BB.  If Lalo&Nacho had recently disappeared then Saul can pretend he doesn't know they are gone to the two masked men.   If it has been four years then he uses different names. 

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

Kim comes back and he signs the divorce papers in the middle of the BB Pilot 1 or so, right?  Jesse is at Saul's office to talk to him about Emilio.  Presumably, that's the last time he sees her.  When he calls her, he says it's been six years, right?  I know the Nebraska-Texas game in Nippy sets us in 2010.  So maybe he has no idea how long it's been.

i think saul represented emilio twice.  jesse's meeting with him here is obviously prior to either of those.  so it make sense that kim meeting jesse would predate breaking bad by a year or two.

edit - yep, here is the scene where jesse tells walt that saul had represented emilio twice.  this was just a couple of months into the events of breaking bad:

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think saul represented emilio twice.  jesse's meeting with him here is obviously prior to either of those.  so it make sense that kim meeting jesse would predate breaking bad by a year or two.

edit - yep, here is the scene where jesse tells walt that saul had represented emilio twice.  this was just a couple of months into the events of breaking bad:

Good memory.  I'm rewatching BB right now and completely missed the twice part.  I thought I was doing well just to remember who Emilio was.

Edited by dcbc

Jesse is waiting outside while Emilio talks to Saul, as Kim is leaving Francesca calls him in, he's the "I ain't got no papers" guy.  That's the reason Jesse is there, he came with Emilio but is just hanging out.

ETA:  to the timeline point, yeah consensus seems to be that this (Kim signing the divorce papers) is later in 2004, so still a few years away from BB. 

Edited by UTCzech III

12 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Jesse is waiting outside while Emilio talks to Saul, as Kim is leaving Francesca calls him in, he's the "I ain't got no papers" guy.  That's the reason Jesse is there, he came with Emilio but is just hanging out.

ETA:  to the timeline point, yeah consensus seems to be that this (Kim signing the divorce papers) is later in 2004, so still a few years away from BB. 

and 175lb Jesse loses 50 lbs to become BB Jesse  

10 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

It is such a PITA that they makes us piece together the timeline on the internet because it is critically important to understanding what is going on.

6 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Mash ending was pretty good too. 

The Battlestar Galactica II finale gets a B+, but the resulting fanboy tears wrecked the curve.

Edited by notre dame joe

What are we to infer from Kim staring at the young female lawyer fixing her client's tie?  Is that Kim reflecting back on who she used to be (that ambitious, righteous lawyer helping the underserved)?

With one episode to go, I cannot see her coming back to defend Saul, not enough time to build that up and I think she's done with Jimmy/Saul.  I think that is just a reflection of who she was in her past life. 

No way she goes back in to law, right? Howard's wife, while she may not have the stamina to go through a long legal process to fight vs Kim, she certainly wouldn't sit idle as she sees Kim try to get back her law license.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a fan of Howard’s wife.  Last time we saw her with Howard she despised him at worst, and at best had zero respect for him.  There seemed to be no connection at all between them.  Sure, losing an estranged spouse has to be tough but she seems way too hurt considering the nature of their relationship at the end.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Not a fan of Howard’s wife.  Last time we saw her with Howard she despised him at worst, and at best had zero respect for him.  There seemed to be no connection at all between them.  Sure, losing an estranged spouse has to be tough but she seems way too hurt considering the nature of their relationship at the end.  

My only explanation for this is that relationships are complicated.

• Hook 'Em 2

She’s hurt because Kim successfully convinced her that it was her fault he’d fallen into drugs and depression without her noticing
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

What are we to infer from Kim staring at the young female lawyer fixing her client's tie?  Is that Kim reflecting back on who she used to be (that ambitious, righteous lawyer helping the underserved)?

Well, yeah, that wasn't a particularly subtle scene. The lady was dressed just like Kim used to, pony tail and all.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

With one episode to go, I cannot see her coming back to defend Saul, not enough time to build that up and I think she's done with Jimmy/Saul.  I think that is just a reflection of who she was in her past life. 

No way she goes back in to law, right? Howard's wife, while she may not have the stamina to go through a long legal process to fight vs Kim, she certainly wouldn't sit idle as she sees Kim try to get back her law license.

Sandra Holt and Kim turn in Saul in one final con. 

3 hours ago, PilotsError said:

She doesn't care about Howard, she cares about his reputation.  How she's perceived because of him.  The rumors hurt her.  She wants her reputation back.  Doubt she gives two fucks how Howard died. 

She wants more $$.  That's it.  Remember, they took Howard's name off the firm.  Could be that she lost out on some contractual founding/limited partner benefits due to that.  She wants that $$.  She wants $$ from Kim just because.  She wants Howard's rep back because that likely includes other $$ (perhaps a retrial of the Sandpiper case, which would get more $$).    Pretty much the nuts and bolts there.  

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

She wants more $$.  That's it.  Remember, they took Howard's name off the firm.  Could be that she lost out on some contractual founding/limited partner benefits due to that.  She wants that $$.  She wants $$ from Kim just because.  She wants Howard's rep back because that likely includes other $$ (perhaps a retrial of the Sandpiper case, which would get more $$).    Pretty much the nuts and bolts there.  

Hmm…..don’t agree.  Thought Howard’s wife truly believe that Howard didn’t do cocaine and knew in her gut not true and felt deeply obligated to not let his character be slander despite her issues with him.

12 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

She used to borrow Saul's ties for her clients who couldn't afford suits and ties.  Young hustlers have to make as much luck as they can.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:24 PM, henrygandorf said:

jesse didn't change anything for kim.  kim changed everything for jesse.  or at least she could have. 

he asked her a question.  if she stared back at him and said, "no, run away, run for your fucking life", then it's possible the later events of breaking bad never even happen.

He's already friends with Emilio at that point.

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

He's already friends with Emilio at that point.

right, but he asked if this guy was any good.  some strong words might've steered him away down the line.  not for emilio, and possibly not even for badger.  but it would always be in his head.  if someone said "he will wreck your life" i would remember it for a while.

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Very excited but it’s going to be bittersweet.

I’m sad that this is likely our last visit to the Breaking Bad universe.

Hard to believe after 15 years that it’s all coming to an end.

When BB ended, I thought that was the end so I had already dealt with that mentally.  This will be the same way.  Bittersweet for sure, but on the edge of my seat to see if Gilligan can end it as well as he ended BB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm talking out my ass and have no basis for saying this, but I kind of feel like we might get another spinoff somehow. 

I thought I saw that VG said that he is done with this universe.  Could still be a spinoff, but without his involvement (or Gould's), not sure it would meet the group's approval.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sad. I agree it's the end of the BB universe assuming that it's the end of Saul in some form tonight. The BB characters are gone with the end of Saul. Yes Jesse and Skyler were in the middle of the fray but from what we can tell, they're somewhat leading normal lives, forever scarred. 

My prediction is that Jimmy/Saul/Gene dies tonight. Not metaphorically but actually dies. He's the quintessential guy who's only sorry when he's caught. No remorse. Not even some false moral compass that creates an excuse for bad behavior, like with Walt.

I'm not even sure there is a path for Jimmy to finish strong by saving someone. Walt saved Jesse and provided help for Skyler/Flynn. Even if Saul has some money hidden, Kim wouldn't accept it. Howard's wife doesn't need it. They intentionally showed her still living large. The end of Jimmy closes the book.

It wouldn't shock me if there was some final scene of the forever beaten down Francesca finding a lost million of Saul's but that would just be for comedic sake.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sad. I agree it's the end of the BB universe assuming that it's the end of Saul in some form tonight. The BB characters are gone with the end of Saul. Yes Jesse and Skyler were in the middle of the fray but from what we can tell, they're somewhat leading normal lives, forever scarred. 

My prediction is that Jimmy/Saul/Gene dies tonight. Not metaphorically but actually dies. He's the quintessential guy who's only sorry when he's caught. No remorse. Not even some false moral compass that creates an excuse for bad behavior, like with Walt.

I'm not even sure there is a path for Jimmy to finish strong by saving someone. Walt saved Jesse and provided help for Skyler/Flynn. Even if Saul has some money hidden, Kim wouldn't accept it. Howard's wife doesn't need it. They intentionally showed her still living large. The end of Jimmy closes the book.

It wouldn't shock me if there was some final scene of the forever beaten down Francesca finding a lost million of Saul's but that would just be for comedic sake.

I don't know.... Gilligan/Gould are very good at subverting expectations. I would be very surprised if Jimmy/Saul/Gene died just because that's also how Walter ended.

Walter was a murderer whose only atonement could come through sacrificing his life for Jesse.

Saul is con man, not a murderer. He deserves punishment, but not death. And the person he needs to save is Kim. I think he somehow steps forward and gives himself up to the Feds or the Albuquerque DA or whomever to save Kim from going to jail.

• Hook 'Em 8

I love this show because it marches to the beat of its own drum. It's a little weird and unconventional. Takes its time. Moves at a deliberate pace. I've always had the feeling that the creators, coming off BB, had this supreme confidence to take some risks and do something different. Make this crazy drama/thriller/western that is pretty hard to describe. How often are spinoffs completely different than the material off which they were spun?

That's the energy I'm taking into this finale. I think nobody will accurately predict it, and I think it will be great.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Very excited but it’s going to be bittersweet.

I’m sad that this is likely our last visit to the Breaking Bad universe.

Hard to believe after 15 years that it’s all coming to an end.

Yep.  I've gotten to where I only check this thread every other day or so because I don't want to get to the end of the discussion.  Gonna be sad that the BBUniverse is dead and gone.  

11 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I love this show because it marches to the beat of its own drum. It's a little weird and unconventional. Takes its time. Moves at a deliberate pace. I've always had the feeling that the creators, coming off BB, had this supreme confidence to take some risks and do something different. Make this crazy drama/thriller/western that is pretty hard to describe. How often are spinoffs completely different than the material off which they were spun?

That's the energy I'm taking into this finale. I think nobody will accurately predict it, and I think it will be great.

I don't know if I'd call BCS *completely* different... it was much more different in the early seasons for sure... the past few seasons, save for the Gene/Omaha stuff, has been pretty similar to Breaking Bad.

But it's a good question. One that immediately comes to mind is Frasier. While just as funny/great as Cheers, it was a much different show.

Regardless of how the show ends tonight, this show was so much better than I thought it could be.  Huge kudos to Gilligan and Gould for telling the story without diminishing the BB story.  Odenkirk and Seehorn were great, but all of the other actor giving top level performances as well - Banks, Esposito, Mando, Fabian, Dalton and McKean. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't know.... Gilligan/Gould are very good at subverting expectations. I would be very surprised if Jimmy/Saul/Gene died just because that's also how Walter ended.

Walter was a murderer whose only atonement could come through sacrificing his life for Jesse.

Saul is con man, not a murderer. He deserves punishment, but not death. And the person he needs to save is Kim. I think he somehow steps forward and gives himself up to the Feds or the Albuquerque DA or whomever to save Kim from going to jail.

Good point about the punishment fitting the crime. Jimmy helped lead Chuck and Howard to their deaths but in both cases that wasn't his motivation and he definitely didn't pull the trigger.

I don't think Kim really wants atonement so I don't know how Jimmy can save her. She might want jail to free her from Florida. Maybe he can point her back to being a lawyer but that seems unlikely now that she's confessing to the DA.