Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

Things I liked

- The final shot. Brilliant.

- Bringing Chuck back. The Time Machine was a nice touch. 

- The smoke with Kim.

- Bring Walt back and reminding of us of just how big an asshole he was. His disdain for Saul and Saul reacting to it felt very real. 

Things I didn’t like: 

- The dumb ass chant on the bus. Uh what? 

- No sane person is going to take 86 years when 7 is on the table. 

- ADX Montrose = ADX Florence. The Alcatraz of the Rockies. Prisoners there are locked down 23 hours and a day and get to work out in metal, outdoor cage for 1 hour. There’s no working in the kitchen or playing basketball bullshit.  Prisoners never interact with one another. If I know this, the writers do as well.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Things I liked

- The smoke with Kim.

- Bring Walt back and reminding of us of just how big an asshole he was. His disdain for Saul and Saul reacting to it felt very real. 

Things I didn’t like: 

- ADX Montrose = ADX Florence. The Alcatraz of the Rockies. Prisoners there are locked down 23 hours and a day and get to work out in metal, outdoor cage for 1 hour. There’s no working in the kitchen or playing basketball bullshit.  Prisoners never interact with one another. If I know this, the writers do as well.

The “dumbass” chant on the bus was because Saul had probably got half their friends/families out of harsher sentencing.  He was a hero to criminals.   So they treated him like a king.  His “lawyer buddy” asked him from the jump “where do you expect to get with all the evidence against you” and Saul said “on top where I belong”.   Saul came clean, as much mentally as in reality, and freed his mind.  Then he’s on the bus going to Federal Pound me in the ass Prison and the inmates treat him like a god.  He still went out on top.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Vince Gilligan has nailed 2 series endings.  In fact this one was even better than Breaking Bad which is amazing.  He's the Michael Jordan of television shows.

AMC has nailed there finales. I have already said what I did not like but I loved the just one line. That scene was great.

7 years in a federal prison isn’t easy. I didn’t buy that plea as some bastardization of the US Legal System. Saul didn’t plan, or participate in any of the murders. 7 years for some RICO predicates, drug trafficking, and money laundering sounds about right. Saul didn’t have any prior convictions, and he wasn’t a member of an organized crime group. 

That was really good.  I'm not sure I buy that Jimmy's conscience would win out in the end but combined with Kim's influence I can maybe see it.

I did not have the return of Marie on my bingo card. 

When and where was the scene with Walt supposed to be?  I've never rewatched Breaking Bad and it's been awhile.  In any case, it was fun seeing Walt be a general asshole again for no particular reason.  And his line about how Saul has always been this way really summed up the character.

I didn't see Chuck coming back either although I didn't really take a whole lot from that scene.  Jimmy bringing up Chuck in his confession and then the shot panning to go through the buzzing exit sign was a fun touch even if it was a little ham fisted.

Jimmy's final confession also really deked me.  He started out repeating his spiel from the pretrial meeting and I thought his ego just wanted to get it out in front of the judge and open court even though the plea was already secured.  When it turned into a confession I only gradually caught on as I was waiting for the twist to kick in.

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't know.... Gilligan/Gould are very good at subverting expectations. I would be very surprised if Jimmy/Saul/Gene died just because that's also how Walter ended.

Walter was a murderer whose only atonement could come through sacrificing his life for Jesse.

Saul is con man, not a murderer. He deserves punishment, but not death. And the person he needs to save is Kim. I think he somehow steps forward and gives himself up to the Feds or the Albuquerque DA or whomever to save Kim from going to jail.

Nailed it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

That was really good.  I'm not sure I buy that Jimmy's conscience would win out in the end but combined with Kim's influence I can maybe see it.

I did not have the return of Marie on my bingo card. 

When and where was the scene with Walt supposed to be?  I've never rewatched Breaking Bad and it's been awhile.  In any case, it was fun seeing Walt be a general asshole again for no particular reason.  And his line about how Saul has always been this way really summed up the character.

I didn't see Chuck coming back either although I didn't really take a whole lot from that scene.  Jimmy bringing up Chuck in his confession and then the shot panning to go through the buzzing exit sign was a fun touch even if it was a little ham fisted.

Jimmy's final confession also really deked me.  He started out repeating his spiel from the pretrial meeting and I thought his ego just wanted to get it out in front of the judge and open court even though the plea was already secured.  When it turned into a confession I only gradually caught on as I was waiting for the twist to kick in.

Walt and Saul are hiding in the basement of the vacuum repair man. They’re waiting for their new identities/placement. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I was wondering about the flashback scenes too then finally realized they were new scenes riffing on old themes/events. Seeing Walt in full asshole mode was refreshingly jarring.

I look forward to whatever these guys do in the future. Together or whatever. They have a great plan and execute.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

ADX Montrose = ADX Florence. The Alcatraz of the Rockies. Prisoners there are locked down 23 hours and a day and get to work out in metal, outdoor cage for 1 hour. There’s no working in the kitchen or playing basketball bullshit.  Prisoners never interact with one another. If I know this, the writers do as well.

But here's the thing.  It wasn't ADX Florence.  It was a fictional place. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Okay, is it just me or are we getting commercial breaks about every three minutes?

There was one clump in the middle but it was just the one. 

17 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I don't know.... Gilligan/Gould are very good at subverting expectations. I would be very surprised if Jimmy/Saul/Gene died just because that's also how Walter ended.

Walter was a murderer whose only atonement could come through sacrificing his life for Jesse.

Saul is con man, not a murderer. He deserves punishment, but not death. And the person he needs to save is Kim. I think he somehow steps forward and gives himself up to the Feds or the Albuquerque DA or whomever to save Kim from going to jail.

But Saul didn't save her from jail, he saved her from . . . a civil lawsuit that could in ten years send a debt collector to a state with the world's strongest homestead law. 

IT was the best episode of the season and a top finale in general.   But G&G just can't help themselves with an implausible angle. 

OH and they are both alive.  The BCS After Years are coming. 

my favorite part was seeing that saul goodman was still alive deep down inside, and that he hadn't fully become this neutered gene character who was now doing slippin jimmy tricks with a D-rate crew, basically begging to get caught. hearing his trademark confidence when first called oakley and then when he addressed the federal legal team, was awesome. i was really looking forward to watching Saul take on said legal team in one last ditch to save himself, but unfortunately he pretty much just got his way immediately on that front. after that i found the rest of the episode lacking drama and overall pretty "meh".

lots of people in this thread successfully predicted a whole bunch of what we saw in the finale. one of y'all practically summarized the entire episode before it ever aired. a lot of the finale was rather predictable, and the part that wasn't as predictable- Saul's courtroom theatrics where he torpedoes the deal of a lifetime so that kim will like him again (i'm not quite understanding how his confession takes her off the hook for any potential civil suit)- wasn't something i particularly liked. 

overall, in real time i absolutely loathed the pacing re: how this show was aired, and the interminable breaks between seasons really hurt my ability to properly watch/love/respect this show. it wasn't until i binged the first five seasons right before the start of this season that i remembered just how awesome this show was. *highly* bingeable show, that is for sure. 

i thought this final season was merely ok, and that the episodes after the break were particularly "meh",  but with nearly every interesting character dead and without all of the drama that surrounded nacho, lalo, gus, the cartel, etc, that's not super surprising. overall it was an outstanding series that an ok final season, which puts it squarely in the upper echelon of tv shows in this golden age of television. the people who get to binge the entire thing for their first viewing have no idea how lucky they are. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The “dumbass” chant on the bus was because Saul had probably got half their friends/families out of harsher sentencing.  He was a hero to criminals.   So they treated him like a king.  His “lawyer buddy” asked him from the jump “where do you expect to get with all the evidence against you” and Saul said “on top where I belong”.   Saul came clean, as much mentally as in reality, and freed his mind.  Then he’s on the bus going to Federal Pound me in the ass Prison and the inmates treat him like a god.  He still went out on top.   

Exactly. At first I thought they were trying to intimidate him because they all had beef, but once you saw him zipping around the prison bakery you knew he’d helped them and then revered him.

He was truly King of the Cons.

What a perfect finale.

So Kim goes back to the law in New Mexico?  The NM bar might have a problem with her affidavit and the DA would be duty bound to give it to them.  Howard’s widow would still use it in her civil case although Saul’s stunt in the courtroom might help a bit.  

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think she went back to the law (outside of maybe continuing to volunteer with legal aid).  I think she just flashed the card to get into the prison.

I think she's still living a mundane life in Florida, getting Yepped once a week or so.

Makes sense.  So flashing her old bar card was yet another misrepresentation.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Things I liked

- The smoke with Kim.

Things I didn’t like: 

Why would Saul need to be placed in Supermax? That made no sense to me, if Montrose is supposed to be Florence.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

7 years in a federal prison isn’t easy. I didn’t buy that plea as some bastardization of the US Legal System. Saul didn’t plan, or participate in any of the murders. 7 years for some RICO predicates, drug trafficking, and money laundering sounds about right. Saul didn’t have any prior convictions, and he wasn’t a member of an organized crime group. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

He's Jimmy in Kim's eyes.  He's Saul in their eyes.  Something about the duality of man. ;)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Out of all the criminals in the Breaking Bad universe, Saul's conviction pays for all.  Yeah, Tuco went away for a while, but Saul is the only one to catch a sentence for Gus's, Walt's, and Jesse's empire.  He pays for their sins.  He's Breaking Bad Jesus. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just got to watch and one thing I noticed that I don't think anyone has mentioned (I fast forwarded through this thread) was during the B/W cigarette scene the only bit of color was the flame and the glow of the cig. Very Vince cinematography. The cameos were perfect. Great wrap to the BB universe, but I still want a Kim spinoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

but she didn't tell jimmy she scammed her way in, she said she was legit.

No, she told him how she scammed her way in. "Turns out there's no expiration date on the New Mexico Bar card."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, RPM said:

No, she told him how she scammed her way in. "Turns out there's no expiration date on the New Mexico Bar card."

i'm not understanding how that's a scam, please explain it to me. 

edit- so she was saying that her license is in fact invalid, but that it just doesn't say that on her id. got it.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

how did saul's speech save kim from potentially facing a civil suit?

I don't think it necessarily did.  I think whatever happened with Kim was left an open question (I mean is it really worth the time and money for Hamlin's widow to obtain a "judgment" against someone with no material assets - who knows).  I don't think it was about saving Kim.  It was about wanting to regain her respect after she confessed and is facing the music.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

edit- so she was saying that her license is in fact invalid, but that it just doesn't say that on her id. got it.

She resigned from the bar.  She does not have a valid law license.  She still has her bar card, which has no expiration date.  The only way she got in to see him was by saying she was his lawyer and showed them her bar card to do it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

She turned in her license to the Bar before she went to FLA. Remember when she told the Judge during a motion hearing she requested then quit?