Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

8 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You seem kinda upset with the above “fuckers,” so maybe I’m missing the point, but I watched and saw an in color scene in which Kim signed divorce papers in Saul’s office, was given the brush off by Saul, then proceeded to have a long, rainy/smoky  conversation with Pinkman in front of the practice. This was all before Florida. 

But yes, I agree she wasn’t married to the Yep asshole: at the end of one of the many banal days following an unsatisfying interaction, he hopped in his vehicle and presumably drove back to his place (but first securing a date to the new Outback Steakhouse).

Yes, she did sign divorce papers with Jimmy.   But she was not married to Yeppers.  

48 minutes ago, WBT said:

I wonder if that guy enjoyed his birthday meal at Red Lobster.

40 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A bloomin' onion, a steak, and yepping up Kim sounds like a pretty nice Friday night to me.

16 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Red Outback?

Different guys.  Kim's yep guy talked about going to the new Outback.  Kim's lunch friend asked about taking her man to the new middle eastern place but was afraid he wouldn't like it and was going to stick with Red Lobster.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.fox4news.com/news/ray-jackson-prison-drug-money-laundering

$500 a month?? This guys should have taken some lessons from Saul.

DALLAS - A high-profile Dallas lawyer has been sentenced to five years in prison in a scheme to launder drug money.

Last April, Ray Jackson was arrested after being caught in an undercover DEA sting laundering nearly $400,000.

Prosecutors said Jackson agreed to the money laundering during a meeting with an informant and an undercover federal agent.

Jackson advised an agent that he could launder around $500 a month through non-traceable cash-businesses, like laundries and car washes.

A few months after being arrested, he entered a guilty plea to conspiracy to launder money.

As a result of his federal conviction, the state supreme court canceled his law license.

51 minutes ago, F250 said:

That flashback scene with Walter White and Saul reminded me that Walt was always a fucking asshole and I never cared for him like Saul's character.

Yeah, but he kind of had the shits handed to him; the big C, missed out on millions from the startup company, has a bitch for a wife, dead end job teaching Chemistry, a BIL who busts balls, he drives a Pontiac Aztec and on and on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yeah, but he kind of had the shits handed to him; the big C, missed out on millions from the startup company, has a bitch for a wife, dead end job teaching Chemistry, a BIL who busts balls, he drives a Pontiac Aztec and on and on.

It's been a long time since I watched BB but from what I remember Walt created his situation with the exception of the cancer. During that flashback he talked about being manipulated out of his company but from what I remember that was all in his head. His behavior towards the company, his old friend and ex-girlfriend always seemed irrational.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Life Alert announces Carol Burnett is official spokesperson in series of ads, with cameos from Bob Odenkirk and Jeffie.

5 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I wanna believe.

I wanna Cinnabon.  IT will be the second one I've had because 10 years ago I didn't like the first.  But now I feel obligated. 

• Haha 1

Good god not the “Skylar was a bitch” nonsense.

OF COURSE SHE WAS.

Her fucking husband became a drug kingpin and put her life and her family’s lives in mortal danger and then held her hostage in their home and marriage.

Walt made Skylar a “bitch” - she was just a run of the mill pregnant lady with a disabled son who sold freaky clown tchotchkes on eBay before her husband chose to become Heisenberg.

He’s lucky he wasn’t married to someone like me - I’d have strangled his asshole neck dead and turned his ass in long before Gus was coming for him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

OF COURSE SHE WAS.

Her fucking husband became a drug kingpin and put her life and her family’s lives in mortal danger and then held her hostage in their home and marriage.

Walt made Skylar a “bitch” - she was just a run of the mill pregnant lady with a disabled son who sold freaky clown tchotchkes on eBay before her husband chose to become Heisenberg.

He’s lucky he wasn’t married to someone like me - I’d have strangled his asshole neck dead and turned his ass in long before Gus was coming for him.

I don't think she was a bitch. I think she was just boring to the average viewer and interrupted the "omg meth cooking" and "awesome cartel violence" parts.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I don't think she was a bitch. I think she was just boring to the average viewer and interrupted the "omg meth cooking" and "awesome cartel violence" parts.

The Venn diagram of people who complained about Skylar and the people who complained about every episode of The Sopranos that focused on Tony's home/family life instead of mafia stuff is a perfect circle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

OF COURSE SHE WAS.

Or, never stay married to a man who drives an Aztek.  Or throws a perfectly good pizza on the roof!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

58 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The Venn diagram of people who complained about Skylar and the people who complained about every episode of The Sopranos that focused on Tony's home/family life instead of mafia stuff is a perfect circle.

you gotta wonder if the writers know a lot more about family life in the middle class suburbs than they do about actual drug dealing 😮

17 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Tony's family life/personal entanglements are the best part of the show.  That's what elevates it beyond the mafia genre.

It's not the fucking Sopranos without that angle.  People are idiots.

I just don’t buy the change of heart and full confession in front of a judge for Kim‘s sake. He didn’t change after he basically drove his brother to suicide, or after almost dying in the desert, or after watching Howard get his brains blown out, or losing Kim, or having to Hoover out to Nebraska. Hell he ultimately gets caught because he can’t resist robbing a terminally ill guy. Sociopaths don’t have a moment of clarity and find redemption in a life behind bars. Maybe if he were saving Kim from a murder conviction. Maybe

Still a solid ending. I’m glad they didn’t kill him. He wouldn’t go out that way. Found hiding in a dumpster was perfect 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I just don’t buy the change of heart and full confession in front of a judge for Kim‘s sake. He didn’t change after he basically drove his brother to suicide, or after almost dying in the desert, or after watching Howard get his brains blown out, or losing Kim, or having to Hoover out to Nebraska. Hell he ultimately gets caught because he can’t resist robbing a terminally ill guy. Sociopaths don’t have a moment of clarity and find redemption in a life behind bars. Maybe if he were saving Kim from a murder conviction. Maybe

Still a solid ending. I’m glad they didn’t kill him. He wouldn’t go out that way. Found hiding in a dumpster was perfect 

I disagree. He never fully got over Kim. Saul Goodman as we knew him in BB was 100% because Kim left him. And that is how he coped. He got excited when he was told only one person called and it was Kim. Deep down he thought this meant he still had a chance to get back with her at some point. When he tracked her down on the phone, that conversation was the nail in the coffin for him. He knew she wanted nothing to do with him and had moved on for good. There was no smooth talking like he was so used to. He had no one left at all at that point that cared about him. He also thought he was helping Kim out when he found out Howard's wife was suing her for everything she owned.,

When he found out Kim was coming clean, he knew this was his last chance at any redemption with her. So he did what he did and put on a show like Saul does best. He officially laid to rest the life he led on the outside, got redemption with Kim and is now content. 

I thought even as Gene, he always held out hope that one day he could go back into Kim's life. But she shot that down. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I agree. The ultimate complete dirt bag finally wanted redemption. That was the only way for him to truly get it.

Yep. It was easier for him to be a dirtbag when he had a reason to. He no longer had any reason. Everything came crashing down and he had no one left in his life who cared about him. The one person he still cared about, wanted nothing to do with him. He would never be happy without this redemption. So he did it. I don't see it as some stretch with all the aspects at play. And who he did it for. When he was out in the desert facing death, he kept going because of Kim. He knew the only way to redeem himself is face up for what he did.

I still wonder if they had any chance to salvage anything when she came to his Saul office to sign the divorce papers. He played the role like he gave no shits. Made her wait. Blew her off and sent her on her way. This seemed to take her surprise her and hurt her. Yes, she did leave him so maybe she had it coming? This was unlike him not to fight for her. I wonder if he fought for her right there, if any thing would have changed. Obviously we would not have gotten the Saul character for BB if they repaired things and went off to live life somewhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Saul Goodman as we knew him in BB was 100% because Kim left him. And that is how he coped. He got excited when he was told only one person called and it was Kim. Deep down he thought this meant he still had a chance to get back with her at some point. When he tracked her down on the phone, that conversation was the nail in the coffin for him

He loved being Slippin Jimmy and Saul Goodman. He loved money. He loved having Kim as his partner in crime (and she did too until it cost Howard his life) but he didn’t love Kim enough to give that life up. He couldn’t walk away from all that even when she literally walked out on him. He’s a sociopath 

On 8/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, Sawbonz said:

Saul isn't a "sociopath."  Everything you listed affected him. You didn't think he was struggling to go on as if everything was normal after the desert? Do you remember the look on his face when Howard got shot?  It's been a while since Chuck, but I recall him being quietly devastated when he found out what happened.

I mean...why do you think Jimmy McGill became Saul Goodman? 

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Saul isn't a "sociopath."  Everything you listed affected him. You didn't think he was struggling to go on as if everything was normal after the desert? Do you remember the look on his face when Howard got shot?  It's been a while since Chuck, but I recall him being quietly devastated when he found out what happened.

Yeah he’s just a tortured soul. Just like Tony Soprano. I mean he saw a psychiatrist for Christ's sake. Each of them only ultimately cared about anything or anyone in relation to how it / they affected their own well being

879643441_tenor(21).gif.fc0ddccd61daf3757d7efffd720886da.gif

terrible comparison, even as sarcasm. Tony was unquestionably a sociopath. forget murder and 'RICO predicates'...he was mean just for the sake of being mean, again and again. and his character never changed. 

Jimmy was deeply flawed and criminal, but he wasn't ever mean. the closest would have been that last meeting with Kim signing papers, and that was just his pain lashing out. and he didn't start out as Saul...he (d)evolved. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

terrible comparison, even as sarcasm. Tony was unquestionably a sociopath. forget murder and 'RICO predicates'...he was mean just for the sake of being mean, again and again. and his character never changed. 

Jimmy was deeply flawed and criminal, but he wasn't ever mean. the closest would have been that last meeting with Kim signing papers, and that was just his pain lashing out. and he didn't start out as Saul...he (d)evolved. 

Look up the DSM 5 for antisocial personality disorder. That is what sociopath refers to, not a Ted Bundy type. It’s pretty fucking spot on for both of them, although clearly Tony soprano is violent as well

And the flashbacks show that he was clearly that way as a teenager, which is typically when those tendencies emerge. He didn’t devolve, he just honed his craft

Edited by Sawbonz

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

He loved being Slippin Jimmy and Saul Goodman. He loved money. He loved having Kim as his partner in crime (and she did too until it cost Howard his life) but he didn’t love Kim enough to give that life up. He couldn’t walk away from all that even when she literally walked out on him. He’s a sociopath 

She didn't really give him a choice, just surprised him in the parking garage.  Was their first smoke in a parking garage?

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Why do people think Jimmy/Saul/Gene are different?   There is just more money in play in the middle. 

On 8/18/2022 at 1:38 PM, Bama Chick said:

Bitch or not, Skylar was always a tragic figure to me. And speaking of figures, Anna Gunn as Skylar always reminded me of the exotically attractive and curvaceous Italian actress Monica Vitti. (sorry about overlarge paste job - tech spaz me)

Monica Vitti - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

Why Skyler Was The Worst Character on Breaking Bad

32 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

She didn't really give him a choice, just surprised him in the parking garage.  Was their first smoke in a parking garage?

Why do people think Jimmy/Saul/Gene are different?   There is just more money in play in the middle. 

So you think the Jimmy McGill character never changed?  He just changed his name to Saul Goodman because of money?

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

Jimmy wasn’t mean?  What they did to Howard was really mean.  The other scams also were mean.    

12 hours ago, RexWilson said:

A couple of connections to mint chocolate chip ice cream.

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream-meaning/amp/

Notably, the ice cream is simply the most visceral extension of how Better Call Saul uses shades of green - the color of money - to represent Jimmy's hustle throughout the series. 

Greed/scams/Blue Bell

It all makes sense.